UConn and BCU talkin' | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
[QUOTE.
The rivalry between UConn and BC has died down which might be why you think the students wouldn't care to see you play UConn. .

There is no Uconn- BC football rivalry. There never has been. The fact that it never had an ample chance to develop into one is fundamentally because Uconn waited over a decade too long to decide it wanted to be more than just Umass in football, and for 3 decades in the football games it did play with BC, it never won a single one of them. Thats no football " rivalry ". My guess had Uconn decided to move up in football leagues as it did in Basketball ( at the same timeframe , in other words) they might be in a better position today. The fact that Uconn came late to the dance re. football, is not any other school's fault. That said, moving forward re. p5 status,, if Uconn wins the AAC over the next few years, then Uconn should find their football program is deserving of P5 League status. Its hard to make a compelling case that Uconn football deserves a P5 league, if there are over a half dozen football programs in the ACC alone that are better football programs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is no UConn-BC rivalry in football and there never has been. That's correct.

But there could be a public-private rivalry similar to Cal-Stanford, UNC-Duke, or even Tennessee-Vandy ... if BC would let common sense prevail. The two schools don't have to be in the same conference; FSU-Miami was a rivalry before they were in the same conference.

Some guy will understand the UConn-BC potential in 2075 and be hailed as a genius for starting this series long after we're dead.

Reaction Score
As a person living in Boston I concur that Pro sports dominates the landscape and the interest of the populace. But I disagree with Yawkey that no one in Boston cares about BC playing UConn. There is indeed interest. You just have to look for it. And it's not that hard. There are a lot more UConn folks than Clemson folks in Back Bay.
While true, my only point on this was in relationship to Uconn football having a level of interest in Greater Boston that could someday make this a " rivalry game". I don't see that ever happening. However, as for BC playing both Umass and Uconn each year in football ( or most years ) that seems fine to me. And I would imagine such a BC game for Uconn football fans would be better than playing Tulane, as we don't see a lot of Tulane folks walking around downtown Hartford either. So sure, I do get that similar observation you are trying to make.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is no UConn-BC rivalry in football and there never has been. That's correct.

But there could be a public-private rivalry similar to Cal-Stanford, UNC-Duke, or even Tennessee-Vandy ... if BC would let common sense prevail. The two schools don't have to be in the same conference; FSU-Miami was a rivalry before they were in the same conference.

Some guy will understand the UConn-BC potential in 2075 and be hailed as a genius for starting this series long after we're dead.

I suppose you do make a good point here. UNC and Duke are rivals in basketball, but the sport of football is a bit different in this regard. UNC'S football rival tends to be N.C. State. Tennessee's football rival is Alabama ( although Alabama considers Auburn its rival ) not Vandy. Stanford considers UCLA its football rival ( not Cal ), although UCLA considers USC its rival. FSU does not consider Miami its football rivalry game. Its the Florida- Florida State game that both consider each's annual rivalry football game. That said, I'd rather watch local N.E. teams play each other than N.E teams play Wake Forest, Tulane, East Carolina and so forth. So I am with you on this part anyway.

Reaction Score
It's a start.

http://www.courant.com/hc-bc-uconn-bc-football-0607-20150606-story.html

"I think it would be great if we played UConn," Addazio said. "I believe in regional games. If we get a couple of nonconference games, it would be great to play them because I think it's good for New England. I'm a New England guy. I'm a Connecticut guy, and I'm proud of it, and I want the best for it."

BC athletic director Brad Bates and UConn AD Warde Manuel feel the same way.

"Warde Manuel and I are really good friends," Bates said. "We've known each other for a long time, so could that possibly happen at some point in time? I'm sure at some point in time it probably will be something that's discussed. Whether it will happen in the near future or not, I can't tell you."

Said Manuel: "Because I have known Brad a long time and we are friends, he knows I would play them in any sport at any time, and I'd love to play them in football. I think it's something that would be good for both our fan bases and the region for football, but Connecticut is not holding up whether or not we play or not."

"I wasn't here when Boston College left the conference," Bates said. "I know there's still a lot of scars remaining from that time. I didn't experience it."

It's time to move on...Time for a BCU-UConn rivalary in all sports. Maybe we can show the ACC that they picked the wrong New England team...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I suppose you do make a good point here. UNC and Duke are rivals in basketball, but the sport of football is a bit different in this regard. UNC'S football rival tends to be N.C. State. Tennessee's football rival is Alabama ( although Alabama considers Auburn its rival ) not Vandy. Stanford considers UCLA its football rival ( not Cal ), although UCLA considers USC its rival. FSU does not consider Miami its football rivalry game. Its the Florida- Florida State game that both consider each's annual rivalry football game. That said, I'd rather watch local N.E. teams play each other than N.E teams play Wake Forest, Tulane, East Carolina and so forth. So I am with you on this part anyway.

What in the hell are you talking about? You somehow have most of those rivals completely wrong.

Maybe you should sit this one out champ.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE.
The rivalry between UConn and BC has died down which might be why you think the students wouldn't care to see you play UConn. .

There is no Uconn- BC football rivalry. There never has been. The fact that it never had an ample chance to develop into one is fundamentally because Uconn waited over a decade too long to decide it wanted to be more than just Umass in football, and for 3 decades in the football games it did play with BC, it never won a single one of them. Thats no football " rivalry ". My guess had Uconn decided to move up in football leagues as it did in Basketball ( at the same timeframe , in other words) they might be in a better position today. The fact that Uconn came late to the dance re. football, is not any other school's fault. That said, moving forward re. p5 status,, if Uconn wins the AAC over the next few years, then Uconn should find their football program is deserving of P5 League status. Its hard to make a compelling case that Uconn football deserves a P5 league, if there are over a half dozen football programs in the ACC alone that are better football programs.[/QUOTE]

Gene Difillippo knew of UCONN's potential to dominate and that BC would be second fiddle in the North East if they got into the ACC. He made it public!

Sources have whispered that Boston College is vehemently opposed to the ACC adding UConn through expansion. On Sunday, BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo put a voice to the rumors when said his school has already played a role in denying UConn an invitation from the ACC.

"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

You are right Yawk, UCONN's football program has been su par but as I have posted on numerous occasions I believe Bobby D and staff are going to take care of that over the next couple of years. When the football program begins to win and dominate along with KO's and Gino's success and Hockey, Girls Field Hockey, Soccer, Baseball, etc.

Even with UCONN's slumping football program Business Insider (2013) ranked UCONN's as the 7th most powerful sports program in the USA. So P5 invite or not, put that in your pipe and smoke it! Gene DiFillippo was playing Defense. HE KNEW HOW POWERFUL UCONN IS!

The Rankings were:

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. North Carolina
4. Texas
5. LSU
6. Ohio State
7. UCONN
8. South Carolina
9. Michigan
10. Auburn
11. Kentucky
12. Wisconsin
13. UCLA
14. Notre Dame
15. Oklahoma
16. Duke
17. Tenn
18. Florida State
19. Syracuse
20. Arizona

http://www.businessinsider.com/dominant-college-sports-programs-2014-11?op=1

UCONN is truly a National Brand. They are the only non P5 on the list. BC is nowwhere to be found. UCONN will undoubtedly win their 11th womens basketball championship and the Men's team is looking really good. A third double championship suddenly has potential. With UCONN's football program on the rise, I predict whoever goes after UCONN first, ACC or B1G will be the winner!

Reaction Score
With UCONN's football program on the rise, I predict whoever goes after UCONN first, ACC or B1G will be the winner!
2010: 8-5
2011: 5-7 (-2.5)
2012: 5-7
2013: 3-9 (-2)
2014: 2-10 (-1)

I hope you are right, but the program has been declining for 5 seasons now.

Reaction Score
2010: 8-5
2011: 5-7 (-2.5)
2012: 5-7
2013: 3-9 (-2)
2014: 2-10 (-1)

I hope you are right, but the program has been declining for 5 seasons now.

4 seasons but all that matters now is to turn it around. Eventually what looks like a big prize getting to play BC won't even be an afterthought and they know it.

Reaction Score
You are right Yawk, UCONN's football program has been su par but as I have posted on numerous occasions I believe Bobby D and staff are going to take care of that over the next couple of years.

[/QUOTE]
And just as I said above, if Uconn football takes care of what it CAN control for itself, ie wins the AAC football league under Diaco, it won't matter what goes on in Chestnut Hill. I'm not sure why so many Uconn fans seem to believe that they even need BC for anything at all ( ie, for a game with, or for their ACC vote, or for their respect, or for their interest, etc. ).

Reaction Score
Wake me up when September comes ... I will say one thing that will certainly pist-off a lot of people, we/Uconn has such an inferiority complex when it comes to BC. Why can we not say, 'f... them and move on'. We know what the task before us require and playing BC will not solve it. We could beat them every saturday and twice on sundays and still be where we are now. If playing BC is the only way to fill the stadium or get people out to games, it is sad, and we should stop pretending to be a fb school. I have faith in our administration-- they know that it is all about building from the bottom up. We on the other hand are all about:'remember when ....' ' We (are- can) have beaten x and y and, so ...'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wake me up when September comes ... I will say one thing that will certainly pist-off a lot of people, we/Uconn has such an inferiority complex when it comes to BC. Why can we not say, 'f... them and move on'. We know what the task before us require and playing BC will not solve it. We could beat them every saturday and twice on sundays and still be where we are now. If playing BC is the only way to fill the stadium or get people out to games, it is sad, and we should stop pretending to be a fb school. I have faith in our administration-- they know that it is all about building from the bottom up. We on the other hand are all about:'remember when ....' ' We (are- can) have beaten x and y and, so ...'
UConn is ready to lace em up and go toe to toe whenever and where ever even though the program is coming back from an absolute nightmare of a coach. BCU apparently will do anything to avoid going head to head. Which program seems afraid to you?

Reaction Score
Gene Difillippo knew of UCONN's potential to dominate and that BC would be second fiddle in the North East if they got into the ACC. He made it public!

Sources have whispered that Boston College is vehemently opposed to the ACC adding UConn through expansion. On Sunday, BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo put a voice to the rumors when said his school has already played a role in denying UConn an invitation from the ACC.

"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''

You are right Yawk, UCONN's football program has been su par but as I have posted on numerous occasions I believe Bobby D and staff are going to take care of that over the next couple of years. When the football program begins to win and dominate along with KO's and Gino's success and Hockey, Girls Field Hockey, Soccer, Baseball, etc.

Even with UCONN's slumping football program Business Insider (2013) ranked UCONN's as the 7th most powerful sports program in the USA. So P5 invite or not, put that in your pipe and smoke it! Gene DiFillippo was playing Defense. HE KNEW HOW POWERFUL UCONN IS!

The Rankings were:

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. North Carolina
4. Texas
5. LSU
6. Ohio State
7. UCONN
8. South Carolina
9. Michigan
10. Auburn
11. Kentucky
12. Wisconsin
13. UCLA
14. Notre Dame
15. Oklahoma
16. Duke
17. Tenn
18. Florida State
19. Syracuse
20. Arizona

http://www.businessinsider.com/dominant-college-sports-programs-2014-11?op=1

UCONN is truly a National Brand. They are the only non P5 on the list. BC is nowwhere to be found. UCONN will undoubtedly win their 11th womens basketball championship and the Men's team is looking really good. A third double championship suddenly has potential. With UCONN's football program on the rise, I predict whoever goes after UCONN first, ACC or B1G will be the winner!
All South Carolina has done is be in the right conference and hire a star head coach...

Reaction Score
I respectfully suggest that BCU has the inferiority complex rather than UConn. UConn is ready to lace em up and go toe to toe whenever and where ever even though the program is coming back from an absolute nightmare of a coach. BCU apparently will do anything to avoid going head to head. Who seems afraid to you?

Well, this thread was started less than 1o days ago and already has 8,300 views, and I'm the only BC fan as far we know discussing Uconn in its relationship to a school it does not play, and is not even in its current league afiliation with. Meanwhile Uconn could conceivably be receiving in 1st football commit in Q. Skanes, (3 star WR ) in a few days, and it has Diaco in southern connecticut this week ( Stamford ), and summer football Camp opening up as well. And yet most Uconn football fans seem FAR more interested in what BC is thinking and doing these last 2 weeks. So, you tell me who has "an inferiority complex", if there is even an" inferiority complex" at work at all here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That said, moving forward re. p5 status,, if Uconn wins the AAC over the next few years, then Uconn should find their football program is deserving of P5 League status. Its hard to make a compelling case that Uconn football deserves a P5 league, if there are over a half dozen football programs in the ACC alone that are better football programs.
I never understood the "if UConn was better at football they'd be more deserving of P5" line that we hear touted often. Go back and look what UConn was doing to SyraPitt at the time they were selected over UConn for the ACC. Go back and look at our head ot head v. Rutgers and Louisville from the time we upgraded FB. Or BE FB championships, BCS appearences.... We look better in most metrics, and are at the worst even in all other metircs for footbal (exception is UL went to more BCS games than we did) ....then bring in all the other sports and UConn blows everyone not named Louisville away. This has never been about UConn's FB accomplishments (or lack there of, in more recent years).

I do agree with everything else you wrote tho. UConn and BC do not have a rivalry (they could, but they currently do not), and UConn waited too long to make the jump up in FB. I still believe we will land in a good spot, it just sucks right now.

Reaction Score
Well, this thread was started less than 1o days ago and already has 8,300 views, and I'm the only BC fan as far we know discussing Uconn in its relationship to a school it does not play, and is not even in its current league afiliation with. Meanwhile Uconn could conceivably be receiving in 1st football commit in Q. Skanes, (3 star WR ) in a few days, and it has Diaco in southern connecticut this week ( Stamford ), and summer football Camp opening up as well. And yet most Uconn football fans seem FAR more interested in what BC is thinking and doing these last 2 weeks. So, you tell me who has "an inferiority complex", if there is even an" inferiority complex" at work at all here.

Are you kidding me. You have the unmitigated gall to come here and criticize this board as a visitor. A BC visitor at that. Have you been on the BC boards recently? Absent a few d*ck jokes, they are pretty much ghost towns.

And btw, I thought you were not a BC fan, or is that a recent revelation?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

And a thread about UCF has 21,000 views. Welcome to the board of a school with fans, I'm not surprised you are confused.

Reaction Score
BC is short sighted.
If UConn ever finds it's way into the B1G then BC football recruiting would take a much larger hit than if we were in the ACC.
BC is putting all their chips into the middle of the table that within 10 years we will be folding football and crawling back to the Big East.
A nice win if they are right, but if wrong they will rue the day

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me. You have the unmitigated gall to come here and criticize this board as a visitor. A BC visitor at that. Have you been on the BC boards recently? Absent a few d*ck jokes, they are pretty much ghost towns.

And btw, I thought you were not a BC fan, or is that a recent revelation?
I have not " criticized this board " in my comments here in the least. I merely compared ( without anger, nor profanity ) what the focus appears to be on this board this week with this thread in relationship to other non BC thread discussions and its number of views,.. thats all. BC has 9 football boards, 5 of which are private boards. Even if BC had few participants on those 9 boards, so what ? Thats got nothing to do with this thread discussion, as near as I can tell..... as for my being a BC fan, I have from day one, made it clear that I live in Massachusetts and have been following BC football for half a century now. I also made it clear that I have family that graduated from Uconn too. So I don't know what else to tell you, angry one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BC is short sighted.
If UConn ever finds it's way into the B1G then BC football recruiting would take a much larger hit than if we were in the ACC.
So you are saying that if Uconn goes to the BIG, you will STILL be obsessed with BC football, their recruiting, etc and so forth ? If Uconn goes to the BIG, why would you even care a wit about a school's recuiting that you don't play. Uconn's football future does not depend on BC at all, imo. So why the hightened interest here in what they are doing seems puzzling.

Reaction Score
If a scheduled game of Duke v. NCState, or Clemson v. Virginia, or Syracuse v. Miami can be considered to be "out of conference" games it was discussed a year ago, then it should make sense that a scheduled game of UCONN v. BCU can be considered a conference game. Right? Isn't this how it works in the ACC?

Reaction Score
You are right Yawk, UCONN's football program has been su par but as I have posted on numerous occasions I believe Bobby D and staff are going to take care of that over the next couple of years.
And just as I said above, if Uconn football takes care of what it CAN control for itself, ie wins the AAC football league under Diaco, it won't matter what goes on in Chestnut Hill. I'm not sure why so many Uconn fans seem to believe that they even need BC for anything at all ( ie, for a game with, or for their ACC vote, or for their respect, or for their interest, etc. ).[/QUOTE]

Thant's a fair asessment and it makes sense. However, BC would be a good New England rivalry, especially if UCONN gets an invite to the ACC.
I kind of think all the D-1 schools in the Northeast need each other to some extent. That includes, UCONN, BC, SYRACUSE, PITT, PENN STATE, TEMPLE
UMASS, RUTGERS, ARMY, MARYLAND and NAVY. It makes the region more viable football wise. Nice to be able to drive to an away football game.

Reaction Score
And just as I said above, if Uconn football takes care of what it CAN control for itself, ie wins the AAC football league under Diaco, it won't matter what goes on in Chestnut Hill. I'm not sure why so many Uconn fans seem to believe that they even need BC for anything at all ( ie, for a game with, or for their ACC vote, or for their respect, or for their interest, etc. ).

Thant's a fair asessment and it makes sense. [/QUOTE]

Yes. The league alignments of the SEC, PAC-12, Ivy league make sense. The BIG less so, but still make some sense. But the ACC, B12, AAC, and most of these other leagues make no sense at all, imo. They are a missmash of schools slapped together with little in common among the schools geographically, academically, culturally, and so forth. But nobody asked us, Confident Carl before they created them ( haha!)

Reaction Score
Thant's a fair asessment and it makes sense.

Yes. The league alignments of the SEC, PAC-12, Ivy league make sense. The BIG less so, but still make some sense. But the ACC, B12, AAC, and most of these other leagues make no sense at all, imo. They are a missmash of schools slapped together with little in common among the schools geographically, academically, culturally, and so forth. But nobody asked us, Confident Carl before they created them ( haha!)[/QUOTE]

UCONN fans are pi$$ed off about not getting into a P5. Basketball doesn't have to prove anything but football needs to turn around in 2 years. We also need to hate somebody and BC and Orange U are the low hanging fruit. Hate makes for great rivalries! A UCONN- BC series would be great for both schools. Once UCONN starts to win on the gridiron, the fan base will come around.

Here is more on UCONN's Basketball pedegree:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs...asketball-Fans-WalletHub-Study-296603171.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/re...-the-most-dominant-school-in-colle#.dnGxqG52D

*Duke has since won another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin