UConn and BCU talkin' | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For someone who shares an indifference towards UCONN with the rest of The BC Fanbase, he sure spends an inordinate amount of time posting on a UCONN Football Board.

College hockey season is over, the Red Sox stink there year and the Celtics took are back to playing golf. Not much else for a BC fan to do until the Pats suit up.

Reaction Score
@Yawkey Way I stopped reading your posts after like the 2nd page because you're repetitive like a broken record. A bad one. Nickelback.
On your assertion that BC students/fans would rather play UMass over UConn: A. That's a ridiculous to assume. B. Any chance that BC could play vs UConn AND UMass in a season? Is that too ridiculous for you? C. How would a local rivalry with UConn not benefit BC too? Even if many students are out of state, I can bet there are many sports fans in Boston who marginally care about BC who would route for you guys and provide attendance numbers and revenue.
The rivalry between UConn and BC has died down which might be why you think the students wouldn't care to see you play UConn. I can all but guarantee that would be re-ignited very quickly, and people will be pumped for it when you factor in the inevitable trash-talking, hyping, seeing each other in opposing stadiums, etc. Rivalries are built, and this is one that based on geography and the schools' previous athletic success makes sense.

Reaction Score
@Yawkey Way I stopped reading your posts after like the 2nd page because you're repetitive like a broken record. A bad one. Nickelback.
On your assertion that BC students/fans would rather play UMass over UConn: A. That's a ridiculous to assume. B. Any chance that BC could play vs UConn AND UMass in a season? Is that too ridiculous for you? C. How would a local rivalry with UConn not benefit BC too? Even if many students are out of state, I can bet there are many sports fans in Boston who marginally care about BC who would route for you guys and provide attendance numbers and revenue.
The rivalry between UConn and BC has died down which might be why you think the students wouldn't care to see you play UConn. I can all but guarantee that would be re-ignited very quickly, and people will be pumped for it when you factor in the inevitable trash-talking, hyping, seeing each other in opposing stadiums, etc. Rivalries are built, and this is one that based on geography and the schools' previous athletic success makes sense.
I have 1 question. Would BC be a rival in basketball for Uconn fans? My answer - No. Why? They have a long history of losing versus Uconn. Uconn gains nothing from playing BC. Uconn and its fans get more from playing St. Johns or G'town or...,because of recruiting, history and actual rivalry. I can name 15 teams I would want Uconn to play in BB before BC on an annual basis.

I don't think BC wants the game as they gain nothing from it. BC is out recruiting Uconn in CT, so no need there), Uconn is not a P5 game, so no benefit there and BC is undefeated against Uconn in FB. I can see the average M a s shole wanting to see Umass over Uconn in a game versus BC. And I can see BC fans not seeing Uconn as a rival in FB for all the same reasons Uconn fans will never see BC as a rival in BB.

Which leads to a twist on the Civil Conflict question - can a rivalry be one sided if the teams do not play?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have 1 question. Would BC be a rival in basketball for Uconn fans? My answer - No. Why? They have a long history of losing versus Uconn. Uconn gains nothing from playing BC. Uconn and its fans get more from playing St. Johns or G'town or...,because of recruiting, history and actual rivalry. I can name 15 teams I would want Uconn to play in BB before BC on an annual basis.

I don't think BC wants the game as they gain nothing from it. BC is out recruiting Uconn in CT, so no need there), Uconn is not a P5 game, so no benefit there and BC is undefeated against Uconn in FB. I can see the average M a s shole wanting to see Umass over Uconn in a game versus BC. And I can see BC fans not seeing Uconn as a rival in FB for all the same reasons Uconn fans will never see BC as a rival in BB.

Which leads to a twist on the Civil Conflict question - can a rivalry be one sided if the teams do not play?

I guess you have a higher opinion of their FB program than I do. I am not imagining the UConn FB of the last few years when I say that. I am thinking of the up and coming program before the PP massacre (I do believe Coach Diaco will have us back there).

If they are a lock to beat us, then do they not have more to gain playing us than they do by playing Maine, Howard, or NIU?

Also - them in basketball? If it weren't for me worrying about RPI being in the AAC then I would gladly play them every year.

It's only a one sided rivalry until we whoop dat @$$!!! (visa versa for them in bb, I guess)

Reaction Score
Exactly, and proving my point. Daz is from Connecticut . He was born and raised in Connecticut. He's Coached many years in Connecticut. He's not from Massachusetts, and wasn't born and raised in Massachuetts ( as I was ). As such, his interest would not be expected to be the same . If you are a grad of Umass- Boston, Umass- Dartmouth, Umass- Lowell, ( or any of the other state college system in Mass.)and grew up in Greater Boston, you are far more interested in a BC- Umass game, than a BC game with Uconn. BC will have more local Greater Boston area interest in a BC - Umass game than a BC- Uconn game. Thats understandable and no surprise. Thats because for every Uconn grad currently living and working in Greater Boston, there are approx. 50-60 or more grads of the Massachusetts State College/ University system throughout the state of Massachusetts. And yes, its also true as well that a person born and raised in Connecticut ( like current BC Coaches and Ass't Coaches) would be naturally expected to have more interest in such a BC- Uconn future match up if it was to ever occur.

Read your blogs, UCONN is regularly a subject of jokes and ridicule, more often than any other school, including your rival "Clemson".

The majority of BC alumni move out of MA after graduation? I'll need to see a link on that one.

Reaction Score
For someone who shares an indifference towards UCONN with the rest of The BC Fanbase, he sure spends an inordinate amount of time posting on a UCONN Football Board.
I never said that I am" indifferent" to Uconn.. You got that completely wrong.I'm even on record as saying that I see no reason at all that the BC schedule should not include both Umass AND Uconn. As for this board, you will find that approx. 95% of my posts are confined to threads in which a Uconn football fan initiates a thread for a discussion re. Uconn in relationship to something taking place at BC. This thread is about Uconn and BC talking. It interests me, and so I dedcided to talk with other likeminded people on here that might likewise choose to talk about Uconn and/ or BC. If you ( or others ) choose not to talk, do what I do, simply ignore that poster, or bypass altogether any and all thread topics that does not interest you.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE.
The rivalry between UConn and BC has died down which might be why you think the students wouldn't care to see you play UConn. .[/QUOTE]

There is no Uconn- BC football rivalry. There never has been. The fact that it never had an ample chance to develop into one is fundamentally because Uconn waited over a decade too long to decide it wanted to be more than just Umass in football, and for 3 decades in the football games it did play with BC, it never won a single one of them. Thats no football " rivalry ". My guess had Uconn decided to move up in football leagues as it did in Basketball ( at the same timeframe , in other words) they might be in a better position today. The fact that Uconn came late to the dance re. football, is not any other school's fault. That said, moving forward re. p5 status,, if Uconn wins the AAC over the next few years, then Uconn should find their football program is deserving of P5 League status. Its hard to make a compelling case that Uconn football deserves a P5 league, if there are over a half dozen football programs in the ACC alone that are better football programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess you have a higher opinion of their FB program than I do. I am not imagining the UConn FB of the last few years when I say that. I am thinking of the up and coming program before the PP massacre
I suppose it depends on one's time horizon. BC in their history has football wins over USC, Texas, Alabama , Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia,, Texas A & M, Florida State, , Notre Dame, ( over half dozen times ), Clemson, Boise State, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Stanford, Michigan State, Miami, Colorado, Colorado State, and so forth..... and with multiple wins over some of them over the many years that BC has been playing major college football too. Uconn has an undeniably long and rich history in major college basketball. But insofar as football is concerned, Uconn has really only had a few years of playing major college football, thus their history is much shorter, and thus much thinner in its resume than BC's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
images

images

Reaction Score
Read your blogs, UCONN is regularly a subject of jokes and ridicule, more often than any other school, including your rival "Clemson".

I would NEVER, EVER, mistake the few people of these fan blogs as representative of a team's fan base. The people I've met in my travels to stadiums around the country are far, far more civil, hospitable, friendly than the fans we encounter on a daily basis on these message boards. Most of the decent, civil ones been run off all these boards, or just unilaterally, they opted to leave in time.. The Uconn fans on this board are unlike my family in Connectucut that are alums, or the vast majority fans of Uconn,.... and likewise those few fans you read on the BC Boards ( and most other boards ) are unlike the vast majority of BC football fans either..And my goodness, the ND football boards are chock full of ND fans that you just know either never went to school there, or barely made it thru high school. So even that board is not representative of most ND football Alums and fans of that school that we all come in contact with in our yearly travels. So, don't use a school's football message board as a realistic barometer of a school's football fanbase . That would give one a thoroughly jaded, cynical, view of other school's fans. And even if those few fans on these boards are ridiculing or joking with you, who cares what they think ? They are most likely not representative of that school's fanbase to begin with.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It is easier to say what you truly feel on these boards than to friends/family. I have a few very good friends that are BC grads who try to remain respectful of UConn when around me and other friends who are also UConn alum. But get a few drinks in the BC grad friends and they say the same things that we often hear around here: they don't want UConn in a P5 conference because they are afraid that if UConn/BC were on equal footing, they could not remain competitive. Whenever the topic comes up (not that often because they know it is touchy here in CT), they regurgitate Flipper's motto of "turf defense" and hope that it remains that way for as long as possible. I realize that it's a small sample size, but it's hard not to group all of these comments together whenever a BC superfan-boy writes a blog or message board post about being "indifferent" towards UConn or not wanting UConn in the ACC or their team's sports schedules.

But I do agree with the premise that UConn/BC is not a rivalry. There is no history of games played and years of ruining one another's seasons with heartbreaking losses (you know, like our long rivalry with UCF! :)). I think that it can grow into a very good rivalry over time, but that doesn't seem like something that BC wants. That's their choice. I don't even consider UConn/BC to be a basketball rivalry, despite the history of games against each other, and really find it hard to comprehend others claiming that there is a hoops rivalry. Growing up, the games were completely one-sided and I remember Conte Forum being absolutely overrun by UConn fans. Our hoops rivals in the old Big East were always Syracuse, Nova, Georgetown and even St. John's on occasion. Never BC. UConn doesn't need to schedule BC for hoops but I think it could be a good idea to open the door on multi-sport scheduling (read: football). If the two schools play hockey against each other twice a year and hoops once a year, then a hatred could brew. UConn, in its first season in Hockey East, brought a lively atmosphere (and a good contingent of fans) to BC this past winter. BC brought a healthy amount of fans and the same lively atmosphere to the XL in November. The atmospheres in both arenas were fun. To claim that the same thing couldn't happen in football is just being obtuse.

Reaction Score
It is easier to say what you truly feel on these boards than to friends/family. I have a few very good friends that are BC grads who try to remain respectful of UConn when around me and other friends who are also UConn alum. But get a few drinks in the BC grad friends and they say the same things that we often hear around here: they don't want UConn in a P5 conference because they are afraid that if UConn/BC were on equal footing, they could not remain competitive. Whenever the topic comes up (not that often because they know it is touchy here in CT), they regurgitate Flipper's motto of "turf defense" and hope that it remains that way for as long as possible. I realize that it's a small sample size, but it's hard not to group all of these comments together whenever a BC superfan-boy writes a blog or message board post about being "indifferent" towards UConn or not wanting UConn in the ACC or their team's sports schedules.

Again, your conversation was with a BC fan ( or alum ) that is located in N.E.. These BC alums, students, are a far different breed than the overwhelming vast majority of BC students, recent alums ( last 20 years ) that no longer come from N.E. When I tell you that the vast majority of BC students and recent alums are indifferent to a Uconn football game, it should be seen in the optimistic vein that most of these people are fine if BC and Uconn play football on occasion in the future. It is the older Alums from BC ( politically influential at BC ) that typically are against such a game, and even here, its principally the older BC alums living or have retired in Massachusetts that are against it. But a fair amount of these people will die within a decade or so, so my guess, Uconn football fans that are obsessed with getting a future football game from BC will probably get their wishes in a decade or so, imo. For those Uconn fans, students, alums that are under 50, my guess you'll get your wish before you die. Jim Calhoun, Gene D. and other dinosaurs in both camps on both sides of this, more than likely won't get to see such a future BC - Uconn football game, but they and others like them never wanted to see one to begin with either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But I do agree with the premise that UConn/BC is not a rivalry.. Our hoops rivals in the old Big East were always Syracuse, Nova, Georgetown and even St. John's on occasion. Never BC. . .

Agreed. Uconn and BC really were never really rivals in anything in sports. Uconn is a large public, BC is a small private. Uconn is primarily a Basketball School.. it rules N.E., and that probably won't change. BC football rules N.E., and that probably won't change any time soon either. As for hockey, while Uconn is just getting their training wheels off, and BC is one of the finast Hockey Programs in the country,, I can see Uconn hockey competing well with BC in the coming years in this sport. But as for hockey rivals, Uconn will never replace BU as BC's hockey rival, imo. As for football, Syracuse will become BC's future rival in football, imo.. both have long traditions going back to the 50's in football, as BE members, now as ACC members, and both as Private Schools ( not Publics ). That said, I can see the animosity ( and BC's indifference ) washing away in about 10 years or so between these 2 schools, and BC and Uconn deciding to reschedule one another again. I think they'll play. Its just a question of if, not when, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the argument that BC couldn't stay competitive if them and UConn were on a level playing field.

Be better, BC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, they both are "hockey" schools and are largely irrelevant to the rest of the country, so the rivalry seems to work.

I just enjoy someone from Floreda speaking for the whole country with a focus on New England.

You'd think the fact that their leadership is too scared to compete with UConn would register but instead he goes all in over the top.

Reaction Score
I just enjoy someone from Floreda speaking for the whole country with a focus on New England.

You'd think the fact that their leadership is too scared to compete with UConn would register but instead he goes all in over the top.

To echo someone's sentiment, we have to read his drivel, but HFD was banned?

Reaction Score
As a person living in Boston I concur that Pro sports dominates the landscape and the interest of the populace. But I disagree with Yawkey that no one in Boston cares about BC playing UConn. There is indeed interest. You just have to look for it. And it's not that hard. There are a lot more UConn folks than Clemson folks in Back Bay.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I often wonder if anything would change if/when the day came that UConn is invited into the B1G. I imagine that one of the reasons, among many, that BC doesn't want to schedule UConn is the thought of not wanting to help promote UConn football. Force UConn to find P5 scheduling elsewhere without doing anything to help elevate its AAC status. BC is willing to schedule the Maines, New Hampshires, UMass and Rhode Islands of the world (and not UConn) because they pose zero threat to BC in terms of competitive balance, recruiting, and marketshare. But I wonder if/when the day came that UConn is a member of the B1G and no longer shackled with an absurd AAC sentence, if BC would be more open to scheduling UConn. It would be really cool and an added element to have a B1G vs ACC battle for New England...should that day ever come.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I often wonder if anything would change if/when the day came that UConn is invited into the B1G. I imagine that one of the reasons, among many, that BC doesn't want to schedule UConn is the thought of not wanting to help promote UConn football. Force UConn to find P5 scheduling elsewhere without doing anything to help elevate its AAC status. BC is willing to schedule the Maines, New Hampshires, UMass and Rhode Islands of the world (and not UConn) because they pose zero threat to BC in terms of competitive balance, recruiting, and marketshare. But I wonder if/when the day came that UConn is a member of the B1G and no longer shackled with an absurd AAC sentence, if BC would be more open to scheduling UConn. It would be really cool and an added element to have a B1G vs ACC battle for New England...should that day ever come.

Do you wonder if your wife would be jealous if Jennifer Lawrence was sexting you?

Wait she likes Louisville. Huge turnoff.

Would John be jealous if a certain sideline reporter was sexting you. How about if John Altavista knew you were at a cheerleading competition.

What if John Altavista knew you used Bing. Or Ask Jeeves?

Edit: yes I know it's Altavilla.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm just having fun knowing they are going to block sexting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom