UConn Adopts Bold Academic Vision | The Boneyard

UConn Adopts Bold Academic Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The University has adopted a wide-ranging new academic vision to shape its next decade of progress."
http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/04/uconn-adopts-bold-academic-vision/

I congratulate your university for the adoption of your new academic vision. Although athletics, economics, geography, population, etc. are critical factors in B1G expansion, it is of vital importance to the Presidents and Chancellors of the B1G that any candidate university be an academic and cultural fit for the conference.

A few selections from your new academic vision that speak to your university as being an academic and cultural fit for the B1G.
http://academicvision.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/643/2014/04/academic-plan-single.pdf

"As our state’s flagship public University, and as a land and sea grant institution, we promote the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond."

"A top flagship university provides access to a rich campus experience and offers lifelong learning opportunities to traditional and nontraditional students alike. It is a center of excellence for graduate and professional education, research, and scholarship—creating knowledge and innovation that fundamentally improves learning and the way people live. An internationally renowned university excels in the arts and sciences, dynamically enhancing the way our graduates understand and experience their world. Finally, a top public state university serves its citizens in a multiplicity of useful ways."

"The initiatives noted in our plan should and will play a major role in moving the University toward its vision of joining the ranks of the greatest public research universities in the world."

Although you can better speak to the vision of the leadership of your university as it relates to conference realignment, from my vantage point this new academic vision aligns exceptionally well with the other universities of the B1G if it is the intention of your leadership to seek membership for UConn in the conference.

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn published a comprehensive academic vision?

Reaction Score
Herbst is doing what she can to market our great university to the general public. State of CT needs to commit even more resources to help UCONN grow. I hope we end up in a conference with similar universities and that's clearly the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The document itself is mostly platitudes, but the reality is that Herbst is trying to drive UConn to the next level. I don't think it is much of a secret that this is Herbst's plan on conference realignment. Per the other thread, WhartonHusky was getting a similar message, and I have heard second hand from people that have met with senior administration members in recent months that this is the plan. Herbst believes she can drive the academic (edited from earlier post) profile high enough that, together with the strong basketball and adequate football, it will be hard to ignore us. Her first responsibility is to the academics anyway.

I don't know if it will work or not, but from their perspective, if they are successful in driving UConn to this level, that is the more important achievement than getting in the B1G in the big scheme of things.

What Herbst is trying to do is really, really, really hard, and has the potentially of failing spectacularly, and leaving UConn with an overpriced faculty that does not generate sufficient research dollars to justify their own salaries. Schools don't really move up or down the prestige rankings very much. The Top 10 and Top 20 look the same today that it looked 30 years ago. But Herbst is trying to bust in, and put UConn in the same class with UNC, Virginia and Michigan. I can not think of too many other schools that have moved as far up the prestige curve in the last 25 years as UConn has already, and that is due in a large part to Calhoun and Auriemma driving alumni contributions, corporate support, and state funding. Getting to the same level as Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse is one thing, getting to the next level is going to be really hard, especially in a northern state that is not growing. She needs to find more money, and not a few million. I am guessing she needs to find $2-3 billion to pull this off, give or take a billion. The state doesn't have it. This is going to need to come from private sources.

She must succeed, because there are serious consequences for the school if she tries and fails.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She needs to find more money, and not a few million. I am guessing she needs to find $2-3 billion to pull this off, give or take a billion. The state doesn't have it. This is going to need to come from private sources.

The state legislature approved $1.67 billion in operating and capital investment, "positioning UConn to ascend the ranks of the world’s elite research universities."

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/06...ion-investment-in-states-flagship-university/

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You forgot about that....and I had to read through your entire useless rant/diatribe...Once again I question why I just don't ignore you!

You don't want to do that. You don't want to miss out on his keen observations of Herbst trying to better our university, in part, to forward our conference realignment position, only to watch him go ape on five other threads that we didn't just say "f#$k it" and join the new Big East and letting our football team go independent. You don't want to miss that...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You forgot about that....and I had to read through your entire useless rant/diatribe...Once again I question why I just don't ignore you!

I hope knuckle draggers like you do put me on ignore. If you are too stupid to understand what I am saying, then just shut up. I am tired of explaining posts to you. Also, look up the meaning of diatribe.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You don't want to do that. You don't want to miss out on his keen observations of Herbst trying to better our university, in part, to forward our conference realignment position, only to watch him go ape on five other threads that we didn't just say "f#$k it" and join the new Big East and letting our football team go independent. You don't want to miss that...

Or I could get your insight on...well, you never provide any insight. I also have yet to hear from you how UConn's athletic department will grow revenue a nickel.

It's funny how few people understand that a university can't just start paying coaches, and in this case professors, more money without some expectation of receiving more revenue from their investment.

Reaction Score
The document itself is mostly platitudes, but the reality is that Herbst is trying to drive UConn to the next level. I don't think it is much of a secret that this is Herbst's plan on conference realignment. Per the other thread, WhartonHusky was getting a similar message, and I have heard second hand from people that have met with senior administration members in recent months that this is the plan. Herbst believes she can drive the academic (edited from earlier post) profile high enough that, together with the strong basketball and adequate football, it will be hard to ignore us. Her first responsibility is to the academics anyway.

I don't know if it will work or not, but from their perspective, if they are successful in driving UConn to this level, that is the more important achievement than getting in the B1G in the big scheme of things.

What Herbst is trying to do is really, really, really hard, and has the potentially of failing spectacularly, and leaving UConn with an overpriced faculty that does not generate sufficient research dollars to justify their own salaries. Schools don't really move up or down the prestige rankings very much. The Top 10 and Top 20 look the same today that it looked 30 years ago. But Herbst is trying to bust in, and put UConn in the same class with UNC, Virginia and Michigan. I can not think of too many other schools that have moved as far up the prestige curve in the last 25 years as UConn has already, and that is due in a large part to Calhoun and Auriemma driving alumni contributions, corporate support, and state funding. Getting to the same level as Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse is one thing, getting to the next level is going to be really hard, especially in a northern state that is not growing. She needs to find more money, and not a few million. I am guessing she needs to find $2-3 billion to pull this off, give or take a billion. The state doesn't have it. This is going to need to come from private sources.

She must succeed, because there are serious consequences for the school if she tries and fails.
On the surface, it appears this administration went from eating donuts and sunbathing in st. thomas to now going all in with the hopes of getting a big 10 bid or blowing up. Seems odd, doesn't it? I will say it again........almost every action, lack of action, comments, and silence from anybody or everybody involved in this either suggests that UConn was told something or that we have the most inept administration in the history of academia. Think big picture. I have heard a million times how easy we can expand the rent and our football team can grow into a big 10 program. Well, the same applies to our university. I think the Big 10 needs to see us taking the necessary steps. This bold vision is exactly that. We don't need to have accomplished our goal for inclusion, we simply need to start the investment.

Reaction Score
Or I could get your insight on...well, you never provide any insight. I also have yet to hear from you how UConn's athletic department will grow revenue a nickel.

It's funny how few people understand that a university can't just start paying coaches, and in this case professors, more money without some expectation of receiving more revenue from their investment.

No what's funny is going off on investment in the school and claiming a needed dollar value investment by the state and when called out on your own stupidity you try to simply pass it off with an "I had forgtten about that..." like that somehow makes your point valid. Everyone else is wrong though for not buying into your stupid ideas, SH and WM should be listening to you (and a few others who claim intellectual and business superiority) because you clearly got this whole thing figured out. I mean people with far more experience and education than you or I had no idea that you need a return on investment or that down the road our AD will have trouble financially, I don't know what they would do without your infinite wisdom. That's what's funny!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I think a lot depends on the fundraising efforts. Herbst hired the Emory fundraiser with hopes of boosting our endowment to a level comparable to other large flagships. Over time, the increase to faculty and, in extension, student body, will mean more alumni and, hopefully, increased donations.

As for how we raise revenue while we wait for the B1G explosion, that falls on us. Buy tickets. Buy merchandise to open up a new Nike (or other apparel) deal. Make donations. Watch games on TV to open up more content. If there is demand, UCONN can make money on the supply.

Reaction Score
I hope knuckle draggers like you do put me on ignore. If you are too stupid to understand what I am saying, then just shut up. I am tired of explaining posts to you. Also, look up the meaning of diatribe.

Time for a little humility. You said the state doesn't have the money. In fact you forgot about 1.6B from the state. Guess I am a knuckle dragger too.

Reaction Score
If you get the invite to the Big Ten I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple Big Ten presidents standing with Delany at the welcome ceremony. The energy that UConn possesses right now, both in academics and athletics, would be a good shot in the arm for the Big Ten. I think the old-guard in the Big Ten have noticed and will look beyond the AAU issue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Nelson is largely correct. Herbst is trying to elevate Uconn to the level of Michigan, UNC, etc. It's not easy and will require patience and investment, but I firmly believe that she is doing all the right things.

It may sound mundane, but UConn is rolling out a new alumni database that will allow better communication and networking - something the University has not done very well in the past. When discussing this, they talk about the fact that this software is what Michigan, UNC and UVA use - state of the art. It's little things like this that will allow us to grow and begin to be considered in the same class as others.

Connecticut cannot compete with many other states for manufacturing jobs. We have been transitioning to a knowledge based economy for many years. The standard of living is high, but so is the access to many critical resources including a skilled and educated labor pool. The state is investing in Uconn and partnering with corporates to bring more skilled jobs here (think STEM). This is far more important than population growth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
On the surface, it appears this administration went from eating donuts and sunbathing in st. thomas to now going all in with the hopes of getting a big 10 bid or blowing up. Seems odd, doesn't it? I will say it again...almost every action, lack of action, comments, and silence from anybody or everybody involved in this either suggests that UConn was told something or that we have the most inept administration in the history of academia. Think big picture. I have heard a million times how easy we can expand the rent and our football team can grow into a big 10 program. Well, the same applies to our university. I think the Big 10 needs to see us taking the necessary steps. This bold vision is exactly that. We don't need to have accomplished our goal for inclusion, we simply need to start the investment.

I know most posters on this board thing that everything revolves around athletics, but I am sorry to disappoint you when I point out that Herbst and the Trustees are not doing this "in the hopes of getting a Big 10 bid". A Big 10 invitation is tertiary to what Herbst is doing. The Foundation is telling people that Herbst's plan for the university will have the ancillary benefit of making UConn more attractive for conference realignment. I don't know if I agree with that, since the last time UConn lost in realignment it was to a glorified community college, but it is a plan and something UConn is doing anyway.

Herbst's plan is a really big deal, basically unprecedented. Schools rarely move up the prestige academic rankings. Also, almost every state is cutting support for their universities while Malloy is committing over a billion when our state finances aren't in the best shape. All of this is pretty cool if it works, and unlike 90% of this board, I would rather have UConn considered in the same breath as Texas and Michigan academically than for football, if I had to choose one. But there are risks.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No what's funny is going off on investment in the school and claiming a needed dollar value investment by the state and when called out on your own stupidity you try to simply pass it off with an "I had forgtten about that..." like that somehow makes your point valid. Everyone else is wrong though for not buying into your stupid ideas, SH and WM should be listening to you (and a few others who claim intellectual and business superiority) because you clearly got this whole thing figured out. I mean people with far more experience and education than you or I had no idea that you need a return on investment or that down the road our AD will have trouble financially, I don't know what they would do without your infinite wisdom. That's what's funny!

I didn't go off on the investment. RIF.

Reaction Score
If you get the invite to the Big Ten I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple Big Ten presidents standing with Delany at the welcome ceremony. The energy that UConn possesses right now, both in academics and athletics, would be a good shot in the arm for the Big Ten. I think the old-guard in then Big Ten have noticed and will look beyond the AAU issue.
Exactly. UConn is a much easier sell to everybody, both to people in the Big 10 and now the nation. At this ceremony, everyone involved can now applaud UConn for its efforts in becoming a great reaserach university. I hear it now.....Delaney in his initial remarks states," While the Big 10 values the AAU, the University of Connecticut has displayed a tremendous effort and a great amount of resources in its desire to attain such status.".......Obviously I could be very wrong, but it all seems to add up. Right now, UConn is an easier sell to everyone. Seriously, how can a school of such stature be completely left out of realignment if its willing and wanting to play by the P5 rules?

Reaction Score
I am really amazed at the academic vision and initiative for the university President Herbst and the Trustees envision. Whether this helps us in the athletic world......GREAT !!!!!! But think what this can offer to students whose parenta can't afford to send their children to over priced private institutions.

Most students at UConn don't play in sports and probably wouldn't be recognized on the streets as a UConn grad unless they are wearing the school colors. This doesn't mean UConn will be #1 in the world academically. But it may mean that the graduates will come closer to being viewed on the same level of achievement as those that graduate from the "prestigious" schools. UConn has come a long way academically in the last couple of decades, and the school administration wants it to be even better.

Does this get us in a P-5. I have no clue whatsoever. But for the 20-25,00 students that don't play in sports, I am very happy for them and their parents.!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Nelson is largely correct. Herbst is trying to elevate Uconn to the level of Michigan, UNC, etc. It's not easy and will require patience and investment, but I firmly believe that she is doing all the right things.

It may sound mundane, but UConn is rolling out a new alumni database that will allow better communication and networking - something the University has not done very well in the past. When discussing this, they talk about the fact that this software is what Michigan, UNC and UVA use - state of the art. It's little things like this that will allow us to grow and begin to be considered in the same class as others.

Connecticut cannot compete with many other states for manufacturing jobs. We have been transitioning to a knowledge based economy for many years. The standard of living is high, but so is the access to many critical resources including a skilled and educated labor pool. The state is investing in Uconn and partnering with corporates to bring more skilled jobs here (think STEM). This is far more important than population growth.

In an environment where most states have been cutting back support for higher education for 20+ years, Rowland, Rell and Malloy have upped the state support, which is impressive. The political might of Calhoun and Auriemma are a big part of it, but I think all the governors, of both parties, realize that a university can not be moved to a state where some governor will give it a big tax break. My concern is about the sustainability of the state support. I think that within 20 years, public universities will almost all get less than 20% of their operating budget from public funding. UConn is not far off that now if my memory serves, but many other systems have a long way down still to go.

My crack about Malloy was more appropriate for the cesspool, and I will keep out of this thread.

Reaction Score
I know most posters on this board thing that everything revolves around athletics, but I am sorry to disappoint you when I point out that Herbst and the Trustees are not doing this "in the hopes of getting a Big 10 bid". A Big 10 invitation is tertiary to what Herbst is doing. The Foundation is telling people that Herbst's plan for the university will have the ancillary benefit of making UConn more attractive for conference realignment. I don't know if I agree with that, since the last time UConn lost in realignment it was to a glorified community college, but it is a plan and something UConn is doing anyway.

Herbst's plan is a really big deal, basically unprecedented. Schools rarely move up the prestige academic rankings. Also, almost every state is cutting support for their universities while Malloy is committing over a billion when our state finances aren't in the best shape. All of this is pretty cool if it works, and unlike 90% of this board, I would rather have UConn considered in the same breath as Texas and Michigan academically than for football, if I had to choose one. But there are risks.
Herbst is well aware of the correlation between athletics and academics and what both mean to the long-term sustainability for any univerity. This effort suggests just that. UConn most likely wont be able to improve one without the other. More importantly, I have a hard time believing that this type of commitment is made on blind faith. hmmmm.....lets invest billions of dollars so our football team can potentially play Ohio State. I doubt that. UConn was provided a road map and this is the school's response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom