UConn Adopts Bold Academic Vision | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Adopts Bold Academic Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought you were being sarcastic in your last response. You seemed to be saying small business behave the same, then provided the teacher's countless assessments as an example. It was a total non sequitur.

We're clearly not on the same page. I wrote that the bureaucrats were imported from the business world.

Reaction Score
1) She didn't collect welfare.
2) there is no moral hypocrisy to collecting social security after being forced to pay into it.
4) the Medicare claim isn't clear cut
3) neither of your claims are accurate anyway.

http://freestudents.blogspot.com/2011/10/lying-about-ayn-rand-and-social.html?m=1

FYI, my second post from above meant to outline your arguments. It's definitely anyone's right to claim their government benefits, esp the types they paid into & Rand wasn't struggling as much as some have suggested here or other boards, financially speaking, health different story. But I'm not a fan of her philosophy & influence - it's rather primitive to me - her followers as well. But no doubt, she's influenced tremendously powerful and gifted people - that doesn't mean I agree.

I agree with some of your other thoughts as well.

I'm a leftist libertarian - I root for fair play, multiculturalism, hard work, innovation, utmost environmental sustainability & certain greater good benefits (public education, a smart & low-key military, public transportation of all sorts, etc.) - to me these tenets are no kidding common sense, thus I wonder why government enforcement is often required. I value individuality, but I love my family and friends as well & truly like to share the beautiful experiences of my life with others. Individuality of the selfish kind leads to loneliness and greater emphasis on materialism, no thanks. I'm not a fan of corporatism or big government & almost always root for small businesses and local governments (<-- very underrated).

On the other hand, between Big Government and Big Business, the latter has been getting way with murder, literally speaking, for centuries. I truly think too many corporations have set humanity much further back than helped. We know all to well the issues of Big Government - the arguments are beyond cyclical at this point. I could argue my points against corporatism until I'm blue in the face - problem is too many pro-business type conservatives don't get it when the evidence is right there in front of their faces.

Reaction Score
We're clearly not on the same page. I wrote that the bureaucrats were imported from the business world.

Yes, I understand that. I think your use of the term "business world" is far too broad, when you really mean corporate America.

It's not important, but large corporations are not the majority of employers in the country. While they may be trending toward the rampant inefficiencies of large bureaucratic governments, they must remain profitable or they will cease to exist. The same isn't true for governments. But again, that's not really that important.

sorry to get off topic, and I don't even want to begin to discuss ayn rand on this board, I should have left that alone, but when people spread lies and distortions, sometimes it is hard to ignore them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Okay everyone, I will ask you for I did as Nelsonmuntz suggested (LOL - I know, why???, but please humor me)...I looked up the definition of diatribe and here it is:
an angry and usually long speech or piece of writing that strongly criticizes someone or something.

Now, as far as posts go, on average his appeared to be rather long when compared to most on here. And I do feel he was criticizing the SH WM plan which would require 2-3 billion give or take a billion. So does the definition of diatribe work??? You be the judge!
I am just tired of his presentation of facts to support his view and when one major factor is dis-proven, we are still expected to accept the rest of the argument.

It wasn't a criticism. READ THE POST.

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand that. I think your use of the term "business world" is far too broad, when you really mean corporate America.

It's not important, but large corporations are not the majority of employers in the country. While they may be trending toward the rampant inefficiencies of large bureaucratic governments, they must remain profitable or they will cease to exist. The same isn't true for governments. But again, that's not really that important.

sorry to get off topic, and I don't even want to begin to discuss ayn rand on this board, I should have left that alone, but when people spread lies and distortions, sometimes it is hard to ignore them.

The US government is very profitable.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Off the tracks again -
Just can't wait to get off the tracks again.
The Boneyard lives for having arguments without end
And I can't wait to get off the tracks again.

Off the tracks again
Disputing tangents with no relevance.
Eight more pages of self indulgence

Like a bag of hammers we'll argue almost anything.
From sports to government.
Wasting everyones valuable time along the way.
And our way
is off the tracks again.

Reaction Score
Off the tracks again -
Just can't wait to get off the tracks again.
The Boneyard lives for having arguments without end

Off the tracks again
Disputing tangents with no relevance.
Eight more pages of self indulgence

Like a bag of hammers we'll argue almost anything.
From sports to government.
Wasting everyones valuable time along the way.
And our way
is off the tracks again.

The thread is titled "Bold Academic vision" and it involves gov't support of UConn. First post. I'm going to imagine that there will be some discussion of gpov't support for education in a thread with that title.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a criticism. READ THE POST.
Wow, maybe you need to look up the definition of criticism ??? Or better yet look up the words negativity and pessimism - these are two words that clearly resonate through your persona.

Reaction Score
Here's the full list - http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/EndowmentFiles/2013NCSEEndowmentMarket ValuesRevisedFeb142014.pdf

UConn's up 10% from last year but still a long ways away from catching up to the other schools. It's also possible to invest in the school itself without impacting endowment figures much so this isn't going to be a complete picture but it's an interesting metric to track.

We fall in at #210 but did you notice a hand full of spots down at #218 that can't be THE Michigan State could it?

Reaction Score
We fall in at #210 but did you notice a hand full of spots down at #218 that can't be THE Michigan State could it?

There's 2 sources - check #47 - they have over $1.6B

Reaction Score
There's 2 sources - check #47 - they have over $1.6B
They must separate their state university system, I noticed others like Texas at #3 is listed as a system, curious if that means the various state universities all in one or it's just a different name, like those that list it as a foundation? Either way at first I was like, holy crap they are that low!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If endowment makes a difference in CR, then UConn is screwed again. Can someone explain to me why these figures make a difference in CR?

UConn is in no position to squirrel the money away right now, so what the school is doing makes complete sense.

My view is that endowments generally should not be at or above $1B. At some point you start gaining or losing millions overnight and the amount of energy spent managing the war chest that will never get directly spent becomes a significant line item in the budget. But that's another story, and to answer your question, I don't believe the endowment figures will keep UConn out of the Big Ten given the other positive activities taking place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is in no position to squirrel the money away right now, so what the school is doing makes complete sense.

My view is that endowments generally should not be at or above $1B. At some point you start gaining or losing millions overnight and the amount of energy spent managing the war chest that will never get directly spent becomes a significant line item in the budget. But that's another story, and to answer your question, I don't believe the endowment figures will keep UConn out of the Big Ten given the other positive activities taking place.

Endowments defray tuition costs and make schools more competitive. So they are important unless you trust your state legislature to keep supporting the state university.

Reaction Score
Endowments defray tuition costs and make schools more competitive. So they are important unless you trust your state legislature to keep supporting the state university.

I know that some foundations have to "spend" a certain percentage of what they take in. I would do the same with endowments once they reach a certain level (and not let state legislators have an excuse).

Reaction Score
I know that some foundations have to "spend" a certain percentage of what they take in. I would do the same with endowments once they reach a certain level (and not let state legislators have an excuse).

State legislators actually can't touch this money since it is locked away in private non-profit foundations. And they DO spend a certain % of the endowment. The reason schools want these to grow is so that they can fully fund the financial needs of students, which you can't do until they've grown enough. Harvard is there now, but no other school has gotten to the point of meeting every student's need AND funding operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom