UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn “Telling Our Story” CT Insider Article

Reaction Score
I think the delta between the breakaway and when football becomes irrelevant is going to be so great that brands like UConn and Duke won't matter anymore. We already have people who think memphis and Oregon State are good at football. The same type of thing will happen with basketball and the excluded teams will fade into nothingness
I think you're too much in this realignment board universe that it isn't making you think clearly.

Reaction Score
I think you're too much in this realignment board universe that it isn't making you think clearly.
Nah I think if anything this board has a better pulse on the future than regular media

Reaction Score
Now if only this makes it to ESPN as a headline, or the AP so it floats on SI or other sports publications. While I completely agree it is important for us/our media to shape the narrative, everyone reading the ct insider already thinks that way.
You really needed a guy like Mora and Hurley out there in national media and also spending time with the local media in B12 country. They could have been prepped to talk expansion, all things great about UConn, etc.. We just kind of played Skidmark’s game and sat there like good little doggies waiting for a treat. Hindsight is 20-20 but we didn’t optimize our position.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Shutting down the football activities in 2020 was the right move and the only reason other people didn't is because of pure greed.

I think edsall was a booster call and he was hoping edsall could be competent on the cheap. I don't totally blame him for edsall checking out completely but he should have been fired after year 1
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nah it was the right thing to do. The players are still student athletes and not professionals. They shouldn't have been put at unnecessary risk.

Football literally shouldn't be that serious. The fact that it is treated so seriously is insane. Football is going to be a dead sport in 30 years.
“Why are we not in the big leagues?”

reads this post

There you go!

Reaction Score
Everyone knows you get better by not playing anyone, lolz.
We have to be a little fair. It was to be the 1st independent season, and conferences were only playing in conference games. There wasn't much they could have cobbled up. Maybe UMass and some FCS teams, maybe.

Reaction Score
I think I agree a lot of people think Memphis is a better long term football choice than UConn

Reaction Score
We have to be a little fair. It was to be the 1st independent season, and conferences were only playing in conference games. There wasn't much they could have cobbled up. Maybe UMass and some FCS teams, maybe.
True. And because we don't do a good job communications-wise then anyone (fans) on the outside of the UConn universe will jump to the conclusion that we just gave up. We have to do better at marketing and communications. Hell, even our polished gems (men's and women's basketball) aren't looked at in the same way that teams like Duke and Kansas are when in reality we've outperformed/at the very least equalled them the last 25 years.

Reaction Score
Shutting down the football activities in 2020 was the right move and the only reason other people didn't is because of pure greed.

I think edsall was a booster call and he was hoping edsall could be competent on the cheap. I don't totally blame him for edsall checking out completely but he should have been fired after year 1
I know DB is not perfect. But, things are getting better and DH and JM have been great hires. The trouble is we have no margin of error. Some alleged P-5 teams can scuff around in FB and BB (we know who) and whistle all the way to the bank with no repercussions.

Reaction Score
True. And because we don't do a good job communications-wise then anyone (fans) on the outside of the UConn universe will jump to the conclusion that we just gave up. We have to do better at marketing and communications. Hell, even our polished gems (men's and women's basketball) aren't looked at in the same way that teams like Duke and Kansas are when in reality we've outperformed/at the very least equalled them the last 25 ye

So glad we’re finally going on the offensive to shape the narrative instead of letting people like Tramel write BS with no consequence.

Yes!

One other thing - arm yourself with facts and be defiant. We should win on the facts. I am tired of our underperforming, overrated, overpriced former conference mates snickering at our predicament. Let's just keep winning and throw it their faces.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You just answer, yes, a county with 3.6 million people, bordered by another county with 18 million people and a third with 7 million people.
Right... Which generally gets a "sux to be you" response...

Reaction Score
“Why are we not in the big leagues?”

reads this post

There you go!
Sometimes doing the right thing isn't popular. That doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

We have also handicapped ourselves because we don't allow a lot of kids into the school. We could go the Colorado or Baylor route but I don't think that's the right thing to do either.

Reaction Score
Right... Which generally gets a "sux to be you" response...
We're not competing with U. Texas though.

We're up against teams in smaller states, states with 2 teams.

UConn does not have a demographics problem.

Some of the mentality may be linked to the small size of the state. Reminds me of elections when people look at maps of the US and they see the massive bloc of Wyoming as indicative of a candidate's popularity.

Reaction Score
I was told that Big 12 people visited Storrs in late June/early July.

I flew back to CT in early June and I don’t think I have ever seen Bradley so festooned with UConn stuff. It had to be for the visitors.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I flew back to CT in early June and I don’t think I have ever seen Bradley so festooned with UConn stuff. It had to be for the visitors.
I was just there this past week and it's still all up. I was wondering why none of the banners mention that we won the national championship though. Regardless, every pillar has a UConn banner on it.

Reaction Score
Sometimes doing the right thing isn't popular. That doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

We have also handicapped ourselves because we don't allow a lot of kids into the school. We could go the Colorado or Baylor route but I don't think that's the right thing to do either.
Stop saying it was the right thing to do, everyone else played football and despite a few hiccups it was a total success. There was nothing noble about UConn's decision to not play.

Reaction Score
I was just there this past week and it's still all up. I was wondering why none of the banners mention that we won the national championship though. Regardless, every pillar has a UConn banner on it.

Good point.

Reaction Score
Since those schools are already in, it is no point bashing them. We will need their support if we want to join in the future.

" We " are not the media

Is Brett Yormark held responsible for the opinions of Berry Tramel?

Reaction Score
Stop saying it was the right thing to do, everyone else played football and despite a few hiccups it was a total success. There was nothing noble about UConn's decision to not play.

After leaving the AAC, which was misinterpreted, we then sent a second signal that we didn’t give a crap.

And if we had played UMass and a few FCS that would have been better than nothing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is pure hindsight. At the time the decision was made, it was the correct decision. You have to look at it through that lense and not what happened afterwards.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yup, that's still everywhere. I mentioned to my wife how I thought it was pretty cool they were there. I just thought they'd have a few that said something about "Home of the 5x Men's National Champion" or 11x Women's National Champion. They were clearly going with the sports angle with those banners.

Reaction Score
After leaving the AAC, which was misinterpreted, we then sent a second signal that we didn’t give a crap.

And if we had played UMass and a few FCS that would have been better than nothing.

I don't disagree with you guys, i just give them a pass because among other teams, I'm sure Randy preferred to golf rather coaching during a pandemic.

And if they played, they would have never won the NY Times National Championship.

Reaction Score
Marketing only goes so far in college sports realignment. The typical people you have to convince are university presidents, athletic directors, TV network heads, and governors -- in the case of a state university. A 9 to 3 season in football may prove to be more useful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom