UAB dropping football? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UAB dropping football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They aren't truly competitive with the big boys most of the time. This is where it is heading I think. The P5 may expand, and form its own division.
Neither are we, Syracuse, Boston College, or Rutgers if by Big Boys you mean whatever P5 teams currently construct the top 10. Can we knock off a 7-5, Notre Dame team, can Rutgers beat the worst Michigan team in decades? Sure. The Big Boys at the top are playing a dierrent game than the rest of us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Neither are we, Syracuse, Boston College, or Rutgers if by Big Boys you mean whatever P5 teams currently construct the top 10. Can we knock off a 7-5, Notre Dame team, can Rutgers beat the worst Michigan team in decades? Sure. The Big Boys at the top are playing a dierrent game than the rest of us.

At the moment, but BC has been there, Syracuse has been there, other down programs like Colorado have been there. What I am suggesting is that with the cost of running true D1/FBS football rising with payments to players and competition for facilities etc., these state governments in places like Michigan and Alabama, aren't going to be willing to field 5-6 teams at that level while several are losing money every year. Michigan and MSU are safe...how much longer will the state bankroll the other three? UConn doesn't have that problem, we're the only game in town.

A new sub-level may need to be created, and perhaps some good 1-AA teams can jump to it more easily than they could to FBS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't argue that Wake is being priced in a free market when it isn't a free market. When the P5 collude to brand, restrict access to competition, coordinate on TV contracts, and now simply write their own rules, how do we know what the market price is? If not for the collusion, I am quite certain that Wake or Purdue would not have a materially better TV deal than Northern Illinois. It is the collusion that drives the market power, just as it does in any oligopoly. The same collusion that drives up the revenues of the P5 serves to drive it down for everyone else, because the other schools are restricted from competing on an even playing field.

I didn't argue that Wake is being priced in a free market.

I'm also pretty sure the Jacksonville Jaguars wouldn't get the same television deal the Dallas Cowboys would get if they didn't 'collude'. I'm also would guess you can't successfully start a professional football team and win an anti-trust suit against the NFL.

You can continue to pretend there is an easy anti-trust lawsuit to win - while ignoring the fact that nobody in a position to file it agrees with you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't argue that Wake is being priced in a free market.

I'm also pretty sure the Jacksonville Jaguars wouldn't get the same television deal the Dallas Cowboys would get if they didn't 'collude'. I'm also would guess you can't successfully start a professional football team and win an anti-trust suit against the NFL.

You can continue to pretend there is an easy anti-trust lawsuit to win - while ignoring the fact that nobody in a position to file it agrees with you.

The defendants seem to think they have a problem, because they are paying a lot of money to the G5 already for no apparent reason. Are they just being nice?

Reaction Score
Come on. The NMSU logo had butt chin, and the OSU one didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom