UAB dropping football? | The Boneyard

UAB dropping football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
With them it's more political than financial.

The UA system simply will not allow UAB to usurp UofA athletically. Handwriting's been on the wall for some time down there...

Reaction Score
The UA BOT has never been fully behind UAB FB. Their attitude is if UAB can carry it without overall university help fine, if not let it die. Their indifference on the subject is exceeded only by the indifference of the greater Birmingham area to UAB FB. More people show up to tailgate without tickets in Tuscaloosa and Auburn than attend UAB games. UAB should concentrate on BB where it has some history and a chance to be competitive.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The bigger problem is that a cartel has marginalized half of the FBS, and a lot of schools are going to decide they don't want to fight the P5.

Reaction Score
Only 5,000 of the 30,000 plus scholarships are given by P5 schools
When you add Juco and non NCAA there are over 40,000 scholarships
I think a good number of these scholarships are at risk.
I could be wrong about this but an equal number of womens sports are at risk.
Exclusion has the potential to not only destroy college football ,and high school football, but also womens sports at both levels.
I really hope I am wrong, it wouldn't be my first mistake​

Reaction Score
Can CUSA kick them out if they drop FB? Would they?

I think that is the premise of the letter from the boosters. They are saying CUSA would most likely kick them out since they are no longer participating in football. They would then have to find another conference to play their Olympic sports in.

The bigger issue with this might be if they drop 85 football scholarships do they then eliminate 85 women's sports scholarships? This is where Congress could potentially start to get involved. Even though they would technically be in compliance with Title IX it would definitely go against the spirit of the law

Reaction Score
we've seen New Eng schools walk away from FB becuause of the expenses; have we ever seen one in the deep south?

on the flip side, it would mean there would be 85 schollies looking for a place to play CFB

Reaction Score
we've seen New Eng schools walk away from FB becuause of the expenses; have we ever seen one in the deep south?

on the flip side, it would mean there would be 85 schollies looking for a place to play CFB
I heard Pinckneyville, Mississippi, shut down their football program. After several hurricanes damaged facilities at William Tecumseh Sherman High School, and poor fan turnout - generally attributed to the Abraham Lincoln team mascot and Yankee Doodle Dandy fight song - they decided to call it a day.

Reaction Score
I think that is the premise of the letter from the boosters. They are saying CUSA would most likely kick them out since they are no longer participating in football. They would then have to find another conference to play their Olympic sports in.

The bigger issue with this might be if they drop 85 football scholarships do they then eliminate 85 women's sports scholarships? This is where Congress could potentially start to get involved. Even though they would technically be in compliance with Title IX it would definitely go against the spirit of the law
That kind of violation of the spirit of the law would be a good thing. The P5, is choking the life out of the rest of CFB. The only way to survive long term is with that type of revenue gap is an invite to a P5, yet invites are arbitrary at best. Sooner or later the current set up will come to a head.

Reaction Score
Only 5,000 of the 30,000 plus scholarships are given by P5 schools
When you add Juco and non NCAA there are over 40,000 scholarships
I think a good number of these scholarships are at risk.
I could be wrong about this but an equal number of womens sports are at risk.
Exclusion has the potential to not only destroy college football ,and high school football, but also womens sports at both levels.
I really hope I am wrong, it wouldn't be my first mistake​
Good point about destroying sports. The P5 want more money which will come at the expense of the Excluded 5. The gap grows ever wider. Many of the E5 decide they can no longer fund football or the other sports, which now require greater travel, for that matter. Who loses? All athletes going to school on scholarship who might not otherwise afford college. It then becomes get recruited by a P5 program or go to work. Kids become more desperate and start juicing....the ramifications are endless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about someone actually drops football before we tie steroid use to television contracts.

Nothing has changed for the G5 teams. Nobody gave a damn before and they had no revenue. Nobody gives a damn now and they have no revenue.

Reaction Score

It doesn't happen too often down south, but East Tennessee State dropped FCS football after the 2003 season due to financial reasons, and had to leave the Southern Conference because of it. However, there was always talk about reviving the program, and it was decided last year that the East Tennessee State football team would be reinstated in time for the 2015 season. They are now back in the Southern Conference.

Reaction Score
How about someone actually drops football before we tie steroid use to television contracts.

Nothing has changed for the G5 teams. Nobody gave a damn before and they had no revenue. Nobody gives a damn now and they have no revenue.
AD's from the MAC schedule B1G opponents all the time. MAC schools do it for the paycheck. The kids (typically) get battered and bruised, but the revenue generated from the game pays for the MAC schools athletic depart. I have never entirely felt this was the right thing to do. Sure, some MAC kids make it to the pros, but for the most part they are student athletes; they have a much better chance of suffering permanent injury than playing a minute of pro ball. They are being whored-out for a paycheck. I would rather they discontinued the football program than continue this practice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
AD's from the MAC schedule B1G opponents all the time. MAC schools do it for the paycheck. The kids (typically) get battered and bruised, but the revenue generated from the game pays for the MAC schools athletic depart. I have never entirely felt this was the right thing to do. Sure, some MAC kids make it to the pros, but for the most part they are student athletes; they have a much better chance of suffering permanent injury than playing a minute of pro ball. They are being whored-out for a paycheck. I would rather they discontinued the football program than continue this practice.

They would prefer to play.

Reaction Score
If you suit up for a small school, you may spend some time daydreaming about the prospect of playing a Big Boy in front of 100,000 football fans. And the oh so improbable upset.

Reaction Score
If you suit up for a small school, you may spend some time daydreaming about the prospect of playing a Big Boy in front of 100,000 football fans. And the oh so improbable upset.

It's amusing you responded to a UAB thread but not the FSU thread.

Reaction Score

It's really not that bad of a mismatch. And plenty of MAC kids make the pros.

Reaction Score
schadjoe2:41pm via Hootsuite
UAB coach Bill Clark said Sunday he believes the school’s football program is about to shut down.

schadjoe2:43pm via Hootsuite
“Unless something changes before the weekend ends,” Clark said. “I think it’s over. I think the odds are very high it ends this week.”

schadjoe2:44pm via Hootsuite
“To shut the doors? That’s sad,” Clark said. “I feel for these players. They committed to this school.”

schadjoe2:45pm via Hootsuite
UAB is bowl eligible and surely the players would like to play at least one more game if at all possible.

schadjoe2:54pm via Twitter for Websites
UAB coach fears for program m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?stor…via @ESPNCFB

Reaction Score
schadjoe2:41pm via Hootsuite
UAB coach Bill Clark said Sunday he believes the school’s football program is about to shut down.

schadjoe2:43pm via Hootsuite
“Unless something changes before the weekend ends,” Clark said. “I think it’s over. I think the odds are very high it ends this week.”

schadjoe2:44pm via Hootsuite
“To shut the doors? That’s sad,” Clark said. “I feel for these players. They committed to this school.”

schadjoe2:45pm via Hootsuite
UAB is bowl eligible and surely the players would like to play at least one more game if at all possible.

schadjoe2:54pm via Twitter for Websites
UAB coach fears for program m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?stor…via @ESPNCFB

Edit add: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/11/30/uab-to-shut-down-football-program/19702899/

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CUSA commish is trying to get support to keep UAB in without football, but doesn't have the votes. They'll need to find a new home for everything else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn will never shut down its football program no matter how bad things get. Let's stay in the AAC and try to prove that theory.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
CUSA commish is trying to get support to keep UAB in without football, but doesn't have the votes. They'll need to find a new home for everything else.

And this is the brutality of the NCAA as we know it. If there weren't real life implications in terms of the academic institution itself, then I would say, "Oh well." But there are. UAB, for whatever that university is today, will likely suffer in all aspects after today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom