U19 Gold Medal Game - Russia vs USA - 4/30 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

U19 Gold Medal Game - Russia vs USA - 4/30

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Right. That invitee list is basically a who's who for WCBB right now.. USA should roll even without the UConn players. But that's why the game is played.
Jeff Walz is coaching. I like e both of the U19 PGs ( Dangerfield & Harris) better than any of the potential PGs for that U23 squad which are probably going to be (Canada & Durr).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Vadeeva and Musina played for Russia's senior national team in the recent Eurobasket 2017 tournament. Russia didn't qualify for the World Cup (finished 9th I think) but clearly the Russians are building their national team around Vadeeva and Musina. Vadeeva just turned 19 two weeks ago so she played in the Eurobasket as an 18-year old and was Russia's leading scorer. Vadeeva also played for Dynamo Kursk in the Euroleague and averaged just under 10 pp. and 6 rpg. At 18 years old she played and held her own against post players like Candace Parker, Kia Vaughn, etc. I think Vadeeva would more than hold her own against US college players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am not sure what you could expect from a U19 team made up of HS seniors / College freshman who only had a month to prepare. Of course, they can not play team ball the way Russia can which has the luxury of playing as a team for much longer periods. Either we were going to out talent them or lose big. Our team played hard and there were many good performers (Carter was a revelation) and if we had made just a few of the blown layups, we would have won.

I definitely liked the way Crystal played, especially her defense which for the first time was very disruptive and looked like MoJeff,
Bodes well for UConn

Reaction Score
Both Vadeeva and Musina -- 2 of the best players on the court -- play in the Euroleague. They are both very skilled shot-makers who've played at a much higher level than their USA counterparts and it showed. Team USA had to rely too much on guards trying to create their own shots as there was no scoring from the post. I was surprised there was so little substitution in the 2nd half. I get shortening the rotation but both Sutton and Dangerfield needed a blow and Harris hardly played in the 2nd half.

Oh well, the kids played hard. I think we've seen the next Kelsey Plum. Carter is going to take a lot of shots in college and score a lot of points in college.

OK, they play in the Euroleague. But perhaps Americans need to go pro sooner. American men certainly suffer from lack of training, spending perhaps a year in college, then sitting on benches in the pros. European pros, both in basketball and soccer, turn pro early, get excellent training in the basics, and then rule the world. How many of the NBA top picks who stick are from overseas? How many of the top pros?

Maybe that Euro League system is better than the American system. Those two Russian post players tore up an excellent American team of the best players in their age group. And before that, the Japanese came close to an upset.

Didn't the Americans lose the Pan-American games a year ago to Canada? And the U16 team lost in the semis? Time for us to wake up and smell the coffee....

Reaction Score
I am not sure what you could expect from a U19 team made up of HS seniors / College freshman who only had a month to prepare. Of course, they can not play team ball the way Russia can which has the luxury of playing as a team for much longer periods. Either we were going to out talent them or lose big. Our team played hard and there were many good performers (Carter was a revelation) and if we had made just a few of the blown layups, we would have won.

I definitely liked the way Crystal played, especially her defense which for the first time was very disruptive and looked like MoJeff,
Bodes well for UConn

These are supposed to be the best of each nation's basketball players who are 19 or under. If we didn't send our best, then we need to revamp the system. Or else we should just send high school kids and not worry about it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not sold on Carter as #1 in the class yet. Carter is gifted offensively but her defensive effort and body language drive me bonkers. Harris should have been in the Game one the US fell behind and needed 3 point shooting. Surprisingly she was 40% for this tournament-2nd best on the team.
Did you notice that Carter seemed uninterested and seemed to pay little attention when the coach was addressing the team? I agree Harris should have been in the game at the end. As for Carter, there was a male player here in St. Louis playing in the EYBL Tourney three weeks ago who played out of his mind and went from an unknown player with mid major offers to being recruited and offered by many major B5 schools. He stuffed the stat sheets. Last week in another tourney against the same high level competition he played poorly. So, it's best to reserve judgement on just how good Carter will be. However, imo, she played with the kind of energy and hustle that would make Uconn's coaches proud and it made her stand out. If the other players had played with the same kind of energy the outcome, I believe, would have been different.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I beg to differ, there is certainly a lot more talent on the U23 team other then the UCONN players. Also the last time Russia played the US A'ja Wilson shredded Both Vadeeva & Musina for 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 blocks. Wilson btw is only 20 years old, too bad she wasn't 19 because they US definitely needed her today.
Wilson got luck that day. (Smile) I don't know how to add emojis.

Reaction Score
The USA offense reminded me of when Ann Donovan coached the Sun, all standing around, getting into a position and playing out of that position instead of the players moving and getting in a rhythm.

Reaction Score
[....]....I'm not trying to diss A'Ja but if Vadeeva & Musina were going to be in U23 tournament she would need some help because if you look at the other candidates it's been a minute since any of them have contributed at the international age group level....

I like e both of the U19 PGs ( Dangerfield & Harris) better than any of the potential PGs for that U23 squad which are probably going to be (Canada & Durr).

Excluding Canada and Durr and you still have a extremely explosive back court. Mitchel/Brown; Slocum/Ionescu; Atkins/McPhee
Take your pick you can't really go wrong.

Then you can add a 6'6 or 6'7 Center to go with Wilson. Add to that the outside/off the dribble scoring from a Nared/Vivians. Who matches up against you?

Guard:Lexie Brown (18ppg), Kelsey Mitchell (23ppg), D.Slocum (12ppg), McCarty (14ppg), Ariel Atkins (13ppg)

Guard:Asia Durr (19ppg), J.Canada (18ppg), S.Ionescu (15ppg), Britt McPhee (13ppg), A.Ogunbowale (15ppg), M.Maybrey (15ppg),

Forward:A.Wilson, K.Anigwe (6'4" 21ppg), M.Billings (6'4" 17ppg) , J.Shepard (6'4" 19ppg)

Forward:J. Nared (6'2" 16ppg), Vivians (6'1" 16ppg), M.Hines-Allen (6'2" 14ppg), Simon (6'2" 15ppg)

Center:K.Brown (6'7"-15 ppg), M.Russell (6'6"-16ppg), Fluker (6'4"-18ppg), Thome (6'5" -16ppg)

You can pick at least 4 different teams that would demolish Team Russia or anyone else at U23. Hell I think the best of the best at U23 would give a few other countries' National Team a very competitive game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Excluding Canada and Durr and you still have a extremely explosive back court. Mitchel/Brown; Slocum/Ionescu; Atkins/McPhee

Then you can add a 6'6 or 6'7 Center to go with Wilson. Add to that the outside/off the dribble scoring from a Nared/Vivians. Who matches up against you?

Guard:Lexie Brown (18ppg), Kelsey Mitchell (23ppg), D.Slocum (12ppg), McCarty (14ppg), Ariel Atkins (13ppg)

Guard:Asia Durr (19ppg), J.Canada (18ppg), S.Ionescu (15ppg), Britt McPhee (13ppg), A.Ogunbowale (15ppg), M.Maybrey (15ppg),

Forward:A.Wilson, K.Anigwe (6'4" 21ppg), M.Billings (6'4" 17ppg) , J.Shepard (6'4" 19ppg)

Forward:J. Nared (6'2" 16ppg), Vivians (6'1" 16ppg), M.Hines-Allen (6'2" 14ppg), Simon (6'2" 15ppg)

Center:K.Brown (6'7"-15 ppg), M.Russell (6'6"-16ppg), Fluker (6'4"-18ppg), Thome (6'5" -16ppg)

You can pick at least 4 different teams that would demolish Team Russia or anyone else at U23. Hell I think the best of the best at U23 would give a few other countries' National Team a very competitive game.
Be careful what you wish for. Russia at U23 would be much more than Musina & Vadeeva. When the two teams last played in 2015 two of the better Russian players were Kseniia Levchenko PG & Daria Kolosovskaia SG both have also been playing professionally in Europe since before 2015. Both would be eligible for Russia at U23. Both could dominate WCBB and Levchenko would easily win the Lieberman award. The entire game from 2015 is posted, please review and see for yourself.

Reaction Score
I will check it out after the Lynx game. It's hard for true amateurs to compete with professionals. That will always put an amateur USA team at a disadvantage. Having said that ( I will have to check out the game) I find it hard to believe team Russia U23 could beat the best of the best from the NCAA. After viewing the game I will post.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Lexie Brown withdrew from the camp due to academic commitments........ but she wouldnt have been able to play for the team regardless as Duke will be in Italy while the competition takes place.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, they play in the Euroleague. But perhaps Americans need to go pro sooner. American men certainly suffer from lack of training, spending perhaps a year in college, then sitting on benches in the pros. European pros, both in basketball and soccer, turn pro early, get excellent training in the basics, and then rule the world. How many of the NBA top picks who stick are from overseas? How many of the top pros?

Maybe that Euro League system is better than the American system. Those two Russian post players tore up an excellent American team of the best players in their age group. And before that, the Japanese came close to an upset.

Didn't the Americans lose the Pan-American games a year ago to Canada? And the U16 team lost in the semis? Time for us to wake up and smell the coffee....
The coffee smells like coffee. This is a drastic over reaction to a few age group losses for USA basketball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Couple of Questions : When A'Ja was shredding the Russians for those points her main side kick in the post was? And the PG was? And that other kid that was putting in worked on the wing was?
I"ll give you one hint they all play for the same college now.
I'm not trying to diss A'Ja but if Vadeeva & Musina were going to be in U23 tournament she would need some help because if you look at the other candidates it's been a minute since any of them have contributed at the international age group level.
who, Im curious!

Reaction Score
Tyasha Harris set a FIBA u19 tournament record with 40 assists and 7 turnovers in just 7 games. She is very impressive and only continues to improve. I think she will have a special sophomore season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The U-19 games were a welcomed mid-summer "fix" for us until UConn's games begin in Italy 2 weeks from today (Aug 14). We were able to see the incoming freshmen, and we were able to familiarize ourselves with some players that we had not seen before. We got our first look at Megan Walker at the next level. Tyasha Harris and Chennedy Carter impressed me the most on team USA. Dangerfield was clearly the leader of this team, and at times tried to put it on her back.

Sometimes she was able to, other times she wasn't. She left everything she had on the floor, which is what a leader does. She will continue to improve under the tutelage of Geno and staff. Her shooting needs to improve. Her defense has improved a little, but there's still room for improvement. Megan just needs to re-join her team and coaches, and get through Geno's and CD's summer/fall "basic training", and she will be fine. I watched every game. I enjoyed them all. Now on to Italy!!

Reaction Score

Bodes well for UConn

This is the same issue USA had many years ago--Russia had a program to train all it's athletes and play them year around and in the professional games--and USA fielded College players--even then USA won it's share (considering)
The U19 Fiba Russia/USA game was the old time pro vs amateur/college. Even then USA won the first half--obviously USA got killed on the boards--and physical play.
Danger's 15 points to me was a big plus along with her leadership to take into the coming UConn season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had been thinking about this throughout the U19 tournament but just now decided to post.

I was really impressed by the refereeing. Except for that "wrong basket fiasco", I can't remember a case where I thought the ref's were incompetent. They only called fouls when it was clear it was a foul. Otherwise, alot of playing through contact. If only the WNBA could say that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom