Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

Reaction Score

Geez - musical chairs...

upload_2018-4-11_17-46-53.png

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Seems like West Virginia is going to be a transformed team, with people coming back from injury, folks having finished their transfer year and graduate transfers.

"She (Cuevas) is the second former McDonald's All-American to join the program on Wednesday, as De'Janae Boykin will transfer from Penn State. Additionally, for 2018-19, the Mountaineers return Tynice Martin, who missed last season due to injury and add Kysre Gondrezick, who sat out due to NCAA transfer rules.

Mountaineers are obviously amping up.

Reaction Score
Seems like West Virginia is going to be a transformed team, with people coming back from injury, folks having finished their transfer year and graduate transfers.

"She (Cuevas) is the second former McDonald's All-American to join the program on Wednesday, as De'Janae Boykin will transfer from Penn State. Additionally, for 2018-19, the Mountaineers return Tynice Martin, who missed last season due to injury and add Kysre Gondrezick, who sat out due to NCAA transfer rules.

Is Boykin a grad transfer?

Reaction Score
Is Boykin a grad transfer?

No I believe a Sophomore.

She just finished her soph year in terms of eligibility. But it was her third year of college, so if she has earned some summer credits and had a few AP credits, it is possible she could be graduating this summer. If not, she may well only have one year of eligibility left (i.e. 2019-20) after sitting out this upcoming season. If she does have to sit a year at WVU, she would have to petition the NCAA to be allowed to play a 4th year - since it would be her 6th year in college. The NCAA normally has refused 6th year waivers for players who lost two years due to two transfers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Maybe they'll leap frog Texas and be Baylor's main competition in the Big 12 nest season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Strange.

Meanwhile Coqueses time in state college would seem to be getting short. She’s got it all - firmer assistant to Muffet, WNBA career, glowing comments from Geno. But has never been able to turn it in to on court success.

You just never know when former assistant coaches get head coaching gigs. Tia Jackson had a great pedigree, having worked with Gostenkors at Duke and C. Viv at Rutgers. Turned out to be a terrible head coach at UW. Hindsight is 20/20. Unless you are a top program you are usually looking at either getting someone from a smaller school, a first time head coach, or a retread. Roll the dice and see what happens.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She definitely showed a lot of "promise" this year.. if the right coach gets her watch out. @LOTRADER she would be the PERFECT fit next year for OSU. She's from Washington and has a ton of upside! I think Rueck could do a lot with her.

I don't remember from her initial recruitment if she had an interest in staying close to home. UW had a really tough year, but they played hard and I liked what I saw from the new coaching staff, given that they returned no one of significance from the prior year, had very little in returning experience and no size. If Wynn can get some players on her roster I think she can do good things on Montlake.

She would have to sit out a RS year so she won't be able to help OSU or anyone else next season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She just finished her soph year in terms of eligibility. But it was her third year of college, so if she has earned some summer credits and had a few AP credits, it is possible she could be graduating this summer. If not, she may well only have one year of eligibility left (i.e. 2019-20) after sitting out this upcoming season. If she does have to sit a year at WVU, she would have to petition the NCAA to be allowed to play a 4th year - since it would be her 6th year in college. The NCAA normally has refused 6th year waivers for players who lost two years due to two transfers.

Per the questions on Boykin's eligibility, it appears that she's not a grad transfer and, as such, will have to sit out a year (unless there's a petition to play immediately put into the NCAA and approved).

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
Follow-up: it appears De'Janae Boykin is not a grad transfer—will sit 1 year, play 1, according to this https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2018/04/11/west-virginia-women-add-transfers-cuevas-moore-boykin/33747845/ …

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Coqueses time in state college would seem to be getting short. She’s got it all - firmer assistant to Muffet, WNBA career, glowing comments from Geno. But has never been able to turn it in to on court success.[/QUOTE]

You just never know when former assistant coaches get head coaching gigs. Tia Jackson had a great pedigree, having worked with Gostenkors at Duke and C. Viv at Rutgers. Turned out to be a terrible head coach at UW. Hindsight is 20/20. Unless you are a top program you are usually looking at either getting someone from a smaller school, a first time head coach, or a retread. Roll the dice and see what happens.

(Poster's Note: Please don't pay attention to the ND insignia to your upper-left hand line of vision. The poster will try his best to include Domer subjectivity ;) )

- Regarding "on court success," I might amend that to say "consistent on-court success." While Coach Coquese (Coach C to make this easier from now own) has a winning percentage of some 57% (all at Penn State), the primary years of success came when she's had Maggie Lucus, Alex Bentley or Tyra Grant (her three All-Americans) on the floor. But that's part of the gig, too, isn't it: get great players and have them excel, both collectively and individually.

- What makes that interesting is that Coach C had a reputation for being a recruiting whiz when she came to Peen State from ND
as a first-time head coach. In fact, as Vowelguy said, her pedigree was first-rate: ND double-Domer (law degree); professional hoopster; helped found the player union; eight-year assistant to ND during early glory years (including the 2001 championship); in charge of recruiting. (BTW, does a lot of that (save the law degree) sound like another former Irish guard now coaching?)

- This Irish hoop fan expected success to beget success in the mid-teens, but Coach C seemed to hit a rut after Lucas left Happy Valley. They had a 20-win season in 2016-17, but lost some key senior contributors. Still, all five of their top scorers were scheduled to return until this transfer popped up. And there's a vague Asst. Coach job placement for the team while all three assistants are still listed. Forced coincidence?

- That said, Vowelguy and my "what's been going on lately" thoughts may be onto something. Coach C was signed to a two-year extension by Penn State in 2015 and that extension runs out after the upcoming 2018-19 season. "The extension will keep her directing the Lady Lions through at least the 2018-19 campaign."

Lady Lions' Washington Signs Contract Extension

- So I don't know if the recent record, transfer(s), change in staff are an accumulation of parts or an indication of the totality, but I'm guessing we'll find out soon....stay tuned.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I may be wrong, however I think I remember her being the best player at the McD AA game. As was Shakayla? Thomas in the 2014 game in my opinion. Tea Cooper also looked good in the 2015 game as did Taylor Murray. What’s happened to Taylor Murray this year?
Rellah looked good in the McD’s game mostly because she made several threes. In the Jordan Brand game, she missed the same shots and didn’t hustle back on defense. Though she’s strong, she probably needs to trim down. She also appears to need an attitude adjustment.

Reaction Score
Starting PG for the national champions? Settle down West Virginia.

Well they have to give their fans some type of hope. And she did atleast start all games in the NCAA tourney & championship game. she's also listed as a PG even though she played off the ball.

Reaction Score
RU just announced that 6'2" C/F Desiree Keeling is transferring. She will have one year of eligibility left. At this point, she is not a graduate transfer.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rellah looked good in the McD’s game mostly because she made several threes. In the Jordan Brand game, she missed the same shots and didn’t hustle back on defense. Though she’s strong, she probably needs to trim down. She also appears to need an attitude adjustment.
Spot on. She didn't hustle back on defense nor run the floor on offense in the Classic because she was woefully out of shape, which I noted at the time. She continued her poor conditioning and poor attitude at Texas.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seems that for some of these players we're hearing about transferring after they've already picked their new school.

As they say in the news business, watch this space.

Reaction Score
This is getting crazy. Last night I dreamt Kia had another year of eligibility (grad school) but decided to transfer to....(I can't remember which school). I have to lay off these message boards before bedtime! :confused: lol

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chloe Jackson (LSU) may end up at Mississippi State.

Would make a lot of sense. Vic needs to surround McCowan with good perimeter scorers. He'd probably prefer a better 3-point shooter than Jackson but there aren't a lot of them immediately available. She is a very capable scorer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom