Toldedo newspaper: UConn success Clouds B1G pick | The Boneyard

Toldedo newspaper: UConn success Clouds B1G pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That article has in my opinion the 2 sides of the B1G argument over who was a better choice. You have the fan/reality side (UCONN) and the Justification side (Rutgers). The more interesting thing is how these articles are popping up on a steady basis in B1G country newspapers..never mind from Tom Deinhart on the BTN. We need to fill the stadium each and every week this fall...and show our support as fans. On the fields and courts we just need to keep winning. IF we do that, we just build up our brand, and someone will snatch us up..getting the best school that was available!

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
That article has in my opinion the 2 sides of the B1G argument over who was a better choice. You have the fan/reality side (UCONN) and the Justification side (Rutgers). The more interesting thing is how these articles are popping up on a steady basis in B1G country newspapers..never mind from Tom Dinehart on the BTN. We need to fill the stadium each and every week this fall...and show our support as fans. On the fields and courts we just need to keep winning. IF we do that, we just build up our brand, and someone will snatch us up..getting the best school that was available!

The BTN says nothing but what The Big10 wants them to say. The newspapers? Not so much.

Reaction Score
It's very simple for the B1G to let the sun break through the clouds. With all this press and the two NC it seems like momentum is on our side. With NYC clearly on the line for the ACC and the B1G the pressure and risk not to move grows along with a realization of UConn's commitment to athletics. In the right conference is there really still a doubt that our football will be successful.

I can't believe that both conferences are not worried that the other will make the first move. Once we are gone there are zero options left in strengthening their NYC and New England position.
It's just a matter of time before one of them moves to shut out the other. I hope it's the B1G.

Reaction Score
The BTN says nothing but what The Big10 wants them to say. The newspapers? Not so much.
Well then Tom Dienhart must be predicting the future for us....
Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart Apr 5
Still surprised UConn got locked out of conference expansion. No ACC. No Big East. Great hoops; decent football w/nice facilities/market.
@dwbalsinger Well, @RandyEdsall won big as UConn coach, going to Fiesta Bowl. UConn has been and can be as good as most BCS league schools.

http://btn.com/2014/04/09/catch-up-on-these-big-ten-headlines/

Reaction Score
It's very simple for the B1G to let the sun break through the clouds. With all this press and the two NC it seems like momentum is on our side. With NYC clearly on the line for the ACC and the B1G the pressure and risk not to move grows along with a realization of UConn's commitment to athletics. In the right conference is there really still a doubt that our football will be successful.

I can't believe that both conferences are not worried that the other will make the first move. Once we are gone there are zero options left in strengthening their NYC and New England position.
It's just a matter of time before one of them moves to shut out the other. I hope it's the B1G.
The ACC is pretty much screwed unless ND says yes to full time membership...that will require a 16th team. The B1G can take their time until they find a partner to go with us to make 16. Like what happened with Rutgers and the B1G, sometimes it is the unknown or the one you never even think of considering that comes in and makes the obscene splash. Remember...conference networks need programming other than football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Makes me wonder if the deal is done and we're just waiting for Rutgers and Maryland to have their day in the sun.

Reaction Score
That's a good article. It presented both sides, but it quoted that Nate Silver article which has been debunked time and time again.

When it comes to college football in NYC, it just doesn't matter. It will never be a CFB town. People who live in NYC, come from all over and they root for their "home" team.

Reaction Score
That's a good article. It presented both sides, but it quoted that Nate Silver article which has been debunked time and time again.

When it comes to college football in NYC, it just doesn't matter. It will never be a CFB town. People who live in NYC, come from all over and they root for their "home" team.
NYC always has been and always will be a basketball town. College basketball is the one sport that can take the Knicks and now Nets and bury them into the back of the sports section. We own that hands down!

Reaction Score
When it comes down to it, the Big argument is very similar to what you see politicians say when they screw up. They are realizing that adding Rutgers was a mistake, but they are stuck with the Rutties so what can they say except "we still support our pick," and"We are looking long term." To call Rutgers a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires. There's an old Irish saying, Too cute by half. That describes Jim Delany's Rutgers move. I will say, though, that saying Rutgers was a disaster isn't the same as saying they should have picked UConn. I still believe that the ACC is the most logical and appropriate home for the Huskies. Similar institutions, traditional rivals as well as some not exactly traditional one but rivals none the less. If you don't think Duke and North Carolina care what UConn basketball does, you haven't met a Duke or UNC fan.

Reaction Score
Well then Tom Dienhart must be predicting the future for us....
Still surprised UConn got locked out of conference expansion. No ACC. No Big East. Great hoops; decent football w/nice facilities/market.
@dwbalsinger Well, @RandyEdsall won big as UConn coach, going to Fiesta Bowl. UConn has been and can be as good as most BCS league schools.

http://btn.com/2014/04/09/catch-up-on-these-big-ten-headlines/
If that's what the B1G wants their fans to hear, we're in good shape!

WINNING!

Reaction Score
When it comes down to it, the Big argument is very similar to what you see politicians say when they screw up. They are realizing that adding Rutgers was a mistake, but they are stuck with the Rutties so what can they say except "we still support our pick," and"We are looking long term." To call Rutgers a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires. There's an old Irish saying, Too cute by half. That describes Jim Delany's Rutgers move. I will say, though, that saying Rutgers was a disaster isn't the same as saying they should have picked UConn. I still believe that the ACC is the most logical and appropriate home for the Huskies. Similar institutions, traditional rivals as well as some not exactly traditional one but rivals none the less. If you don't think Duke and North Carolina care what UConn basketball does, you haven't met a Duke or UNC fan.
Similar institutions? That would be the B1G. How do we culturally match up with the ACC? I used to prefer we go to the ACC and develop hockey in the HE but the dual championship seems to make that not matter.

dayooper

Reaction Score

I think it's also a problem that there has never been a team to rally around. The predominant schools in the Greater NYC area either don't play, or just started playing big time college football in past couple of decades.

NYU - No football team
St. Johns - No Football
SUNY Stony Brook (On Long Island and Manhattan) - FCS Football
Cornell - FCS
Rutgers - Periodic success mixed with bad football. Only playing major football since the 1970's
UConn - Only playing D1 football for about 20 years
Syracuse - Too far away and haven't won enough
Suny Buffalo - LOL

More than rooting for their "home" teams, New Yorkers want a winner. If UConn or Rutgers were to win something (like UConn has in BB) New Yorkers will make them their team.

Reaction Score
I think it's also a problem that there has never been a team to rally around. The predominant schools in the Greater NYC area either don't play, or just started playing big time college football in past couple of decades.

NYU - No football team
St. Johns - No Football
Cornell - FCS
Rutgers - Periodic success mixed with bad football. Only playing major football since the 1970's
Suny Buffalo - LOL

More than rooting for their "home" teams, New Yorkers want a winner. If UConn or Rutgers were to win something (like UConn has in BB) New Yorkers will make them their team.
The population density here gives us the same advantage Rutgers has in conference realignment. Except we actually win. The P5 want to penetrate the Bos-Wash megalopolis more. It is ridiculously underrepresented in the P5 world. That's why Temple sees hope.

Reaction Score

The ACC is NOT the most appropriate home for UConn. Our academics are well above schools like Louisville. I look forward to creating new rivalries with schools that didn't stab us in the back while selling us out.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Where did the myth that Rutgers didn't play major football until the 70s come from?

They were in "The Middle Three" conference with Lehigh and Lafayette until 1975 and regularly played the Ivy League schools through that period as well. When the division split happened in the mid '70's, they choose to start putting money into their athletics and went D1. They joined the Big East in 1991.

Reaction Score
They were in "The Middle Three" conference with Lehigh and Lafayette until 1975 and regularly played the Ivy League schools through that period as well. When the division split happened in the mid '70's, they choose to start putting money into their athletics and went D1. They joined the Big East in 1991.
Directly from the WIKI

"In 1958, the MAC began sponsoring football. The football conference essentially operated as two separate conferences with the larger schools (Delaware, Temple, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Gettysburg, and Rutgers) playing a round robin schedule, and the smaller schools (Juniata, Lycoming, Wilkes, Widener, and Albright) playing a separate round robin schedule. Although the upper division of the conference (which also included Muhlenberg, Drexel, La Salle, and St. Joe's) competed at the Division I (then known as the University Division) level in other sports, only Rutgers was considered a University Division football school. Following the 1969 season, the upper level of MAC football was disbanded as Temple dropped out to upgrade their football schedule. Rutgers had previously dropped out of the MAC for all sports and a five team football league was not desirable. The lower division continued as MAC football, but Delaware, Lafayette, Lehigh, Gettysburg, and Bucknell operated as football independents for the rest of their tenure with the league. Numerous other MAC schools competed in other football leagues throughout most of the league's history."

Additionally, how was Rutgers considered for the Rose Bowl in 1961 if they were D1AA, not to mention D1AA didn't exist until 1978?

Reaction Score

NYU - No football team
St. Johns - No Football
Cornell - FCS
Suny Buffalo - LOL

You left out Army, which has history but no recent success to speak of. They were in many ways New York's team through the 60s. the combination of the Viet Nam War and bad football pushed them off the stage. And with respect to Rutgers, they have historically played major college football, just not very well. Like a lot of people, you confuse their historic opponents with what they are today. divisions were much less stringent before 1975 or so. Until the mid-70s schools like the Patriot League members, and the Ivies were all considered "University division." Heck, Coast Guard played in the Tangerine Bowl in the 1960s. Rutgers and BC were sort of similar. They were more or less MAC-level football schools in the 1960s and early 70s. Also, I guess you have a different definition of periodic success than most of the world.

Reaction Score
Rutroh's continual missteps help IMO. The B1G hasn't accomplished what it set out to do and, thus, UConn is necessary to penetrate the NYC market. The ACC, a distant second choice for me, sees an opening to thwart the B1G's strategy in NYC by taking the only team left that matters in the market. Something is going to happen sooner than later, IMO. I just hope it's the B1G.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Rutgers content moves the BTN needle in New Jersey/New York.

When UConn signed the deal with SNY, carriage rates doubled and SNY was added immediately to the basic expanded package. I don't know how it is in Jersey currently but BTN is on a specialty sports tier here (I don't think my Sister and Brother in law get it in North Jersey, so I'm inclined to think it's the same).

The two outcomes that will show that Rutgers is a success in NYC is: Little backlash to increase cable rates when Cablevision and TW announce plans to move BTN off the specialty tier. 2) Increased subscriptions to the specialty sports tier.

Jersey may have 2.5x the population of CT, but if only a minimal population is subscribing, then only a minimal population is watching and the experiment fails. I believe Connecticut has a far more attentive audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom