Three comments on OSU game. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Three comments on OSU game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we all have to cut OSU and McGuff some slack - this is a young OSU team that did amazingly well last year while dealing with some serious injuries. Mitchell to some degree had to become a volume shooter for the team to do as well as it did, and with more talent and more bodies this year it will take some time to adjust for everyone, and especially for Mitchell. Add in a truly daunting two games against the best in WCBB to start the season and especially a second game in which they face the BEST defensive team in the country and they can be excused for looking ragged. Give them a month against lesser teams to establish some kind of identity and this could end up being a really good team.
And just consider what might have been had the court situation been reversed - play at Uconn and home to SC with a little better home cooking in terms of foul calls than they got at SC and they might be 1-1 with a win against the #2 ranked team in the country. As it was they played a really close game at SC while being called for 9 more fouls and 35 to 20 foul shot disparity.

Reaction Score
Also, I am really impressed with this Uconn team. The way they compliment each other is incredible ... BUT I need to mention something and I'm hoping I'm not the only one who sees is ... BUT is it me or does KLS not really seem like as a typical Uconn player? I started watching Uconn when Dt and A.Beard would face off so I've seen a lot of Uconn over the years. I'm intrigued to see how Geno utilizes her over the years. She seems more of a Stanford type player if you were to ask me. Maybe its her shot idk. She is talented though.
KLS will be a great player for UCONN. Lets remember, she is playing in her first real game with two first team AA's and two more who are in the conversation. Regardless of her background/confidence that has to be a bit intimidating. We saw that with Nurse last year in the beginning of the season in the way she deferred to KML. Look where she is now.
IMO, one of the this years most important roles for our team leadership (Stewie, Tuck and Mo) is to integrate the freshmen by looking for them on offense. Building their confidence will pay huge dividends by year end and for the rest of their careers.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A couple of things - Rebecca commented last night that she had viewed a recent practice. Geno was his normal, demanding self as was the entire coaching staff. She noted that when things didn't go as anticipated, he didn't shout or rant, he coached, explained & encouraged. She said he really, really, likes this team! That was evident in his post game comments last night.

So - when Sinaya, Natalie & DeJanie are all healthy, Geno has his starters and a 6 deep bench. Now that is scary. He will, as he usually does, turn games into a chess match. The five on the court will match the need at the time. He will be able to go big up front, Natalie, Stewie and Morgan or go small with the likes of Moriah, Kia, Gabby, Napheesa or KLS or Sinaya with Morgan or Stewie. How are teams going to plan for this one?

Well you can start by asking McGuff who admitted that he didn't ecpect UCONN to start last night's game in a zone. Game - set - match!!!!!!
Checkmate!

Reaction Score
If Moriah plays like this all year and cuts down on her turnovers(she wasn't happy with the 4.)MoJeff should win POY hands down!She is just an incredible player but also an awesome person!My favorite play last night was her left handed reverse layup!She is the best guard in the country and there is no doubt!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Moriah plays like this all year and cuts down on her turnovers(she wasn't happy with the 4.)MoJeff should win POY hands down!She is just an incredible player but also an awesome person!My favorite play last night was her left handed reverse layup!She is the best guard in the country and there is no doubt!
Except statistically Stewart still had a better game. More points, more rebounds, same number of assists, less TOs, and 4 blocks. All in less minutes.

Gonna be hard to pry those awards away from Stewart.

Reaction Score
Except statistically Stewart still had a better game. More points, more rebounds, same number of assists, less TOs, and 4 blocks. All in less minutes.

Gonna be hard to pry those awards away from Stewart.
I think it will be like Tina Charles last year with Maya when they each won awards.

Reaction Score
I'm conflicted, confused, and mentally challenged---5th man/woman??? Gabby some games --Natalie some games?? Or does Gabby own the spot (my choice)-. 6th person --Butler, Chong, Collier, KLS or Gabby???
All I can say is---As a coach I'd love to have Geno's problems of selecting 5,6,7,8,9, 10, 11 players for games. It gets to be a mix and match season of who is what number in what game.
Few mentioned the fact that when Stewie was out for 6 minutes plus--the level of play didn't drop off at all--
Give Geno huge points for playing Collier and KLS as many minutes in a game this big this early... He has confidence..

Broadway - agree with you as usual. IMHO Gabby has taken the 5th starter position because of Butler's injury. It will be hard to get her out of there. But you mentioned something in your last sentence that is a different Geno. Geno seems to realize that he has to play the freshman not only to win this year (easier to use frosh with this great team) but I actually think Geno knows that next year is going to be a challenge without Stewie and MO and he has to do things a little differently. It seems that he likes the frosh and knows they need the minutes this year to meet the challenge for next year. Not saying that Geno is getting ahead of himself. This new philosophy is secondary to the standard "find the best starting five" and tuning them up to NC level by playing them 25 minutes plus, no matter the score.
My next enjoyment - I am looking forward to the coaching moves when Butler comes back.

Reaction Score
We can cut tOSU some slack for being young, but I thought that Lubbock Christian ran better offensive sets than Ohio, mostly because OSU really didn't run any sets. On any number of times down the court Ohio reminded me of Baylor after Griner graduated, only Ohio had a few folks who could immediately take it to the hoop after getting the ball over half court. A lot of clearing out and watching Mitchell or whomever do their thing, no matter what the D looked like.

Not impressed by the coach allowing schoolyard ball.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It wasn't a matter of crazy shot selection. There was no thought of selection st all -- she just kept jacking them up. :rolleyes:
If the defense is so inconsiderate as to deny you good shots, and your team relies on you to carry the scoring, what alternative do you have?

Reaction Score
Broadway - agree with you as usual. IMHO Gabby has taken the 5th starter position because of Butler's injury. It will be hard to get her out of there. But you mentioned something in your last sentence that is a different Geno. Geno seems to realize that he has to play the freshman not only to win this year (easier to use frosh with this great team) but I actually think Geno knows that next year is going to be a challenge without Stewie and MO and he has to do things a little differently. It seems that he likes the frosh and knows they need the minutes this year to meet the challenge for next year. Not saying that Geno is getting ahead of himself. This new philosophy is secondary to the standard "find the best starting five" and tuning them up to NC level by playing them 25 minutes plus, no matter the score.
My next enjoyment - I am looking forward to the coaching moves when Butler comes back.

Exactly right, PC. Geno has to have his next star(s) in place for next year. The losses of Stewart and Jefferson will be incalculable--if Morgan follows, well . . . Katie Lou has a whole lot riding on her thin shoulders. She has to play now. That's why losing Aja and Cox was such a problem.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Listening again to last last night's replay, I again heard the proposed keys from Mowins and White for OSU in the game against the Huskies.

1. Find a consistent THIRD scorer behind Mitchell and Alston. Um, I think finding a first and second scorer was vital before getting carried away looking for a third scorer.

2. They have to rebound the basketball. Definitely on that one, but the big key is to do it more than 28 times. Hard to win games or keep them close when you can't get more effort on the boards.

Reaction Score
Agree==what's not to agree with??
I was more than pleased to see Collier (my favorite) and Katie Lou in the game early , then find out they had big time minutes. Re-watched the game today, I like to watch it without high anxiety, and Katie Lou's first shot was a three that bounced off the back rim. I was afraid that she was holding back --i.e. feeling overwhelmed (I doubt that). She moved well, followed her player well, rebounded well--all in all I thought, except for no 3's , that her game was excellent for a Frosh. No she isn't KML or Stewie or Dt or even Maya--remember they all improved from their freshmen first game--so will Collier and Katie Lou. As you already know Coach!!!
I suspect Geno will use Natalie as he did a matured Dolson. Big body inside and drag their bigs outside with her three ball shot. I'm also looking forward to seeing the TEAM with all it physically well players getting PT.

Reaction Score
KLS will be a great player for UCONN. Lets remember, she is playing in her first real game with two first team AA's and two more who are in the conversation. Regardless of her background/confidence that has to be a bit intimidating. We saw that with Nurse last year in the beginning of the season in the way she deferred to KML. Look where she is now.
IMO, one of the this years most important roles for our team leadership (Stewie, Tuck and Mo) is to integrate the freshmen by looking for them on offense. Building their confidence will pay huge dividends by year end and for the rest of their careers.
You nailed it!! Have you listened to Jeffersons or Stewie's interviews they spend more time talking about Gabby, Collier, KLS, Tuck, etc.
I think (unless I'm still delusional with my meds) the Total Chemistry is great. Geno believes as GREAT player must have confidence and he pushes confidence from bottom to top and back down again. Going back a bit in decades, Geno was the first coach I knew of that told his shooter to NOT stop shooting when they were slumping--lots of coaches cringed at the misses, not Geno!! Confidence begins with the Coach.

Reaction Score
what choice did Geno really have?

right now, not a lot of proven depth on the bench. KS and NC need to play well because there's not a lot there at the moment IMO.

also, we need big NB back soon so she can provide size and upgrade our bench.

somewhat of a concern is backcourt depth. Has Saniya improved and is she ready for some big minutes? need her to seriously step it up this year.

LOVED the game and its a GREAT TEAM but I am concerned about inexperience and depth on the bench.

When in doubt go with EXPERIENCE---Chong and/or Ekmark--but Geno went to his Freshmen--Un Geno like. Or he could have sucked it up and stayed with his starting 5--gamble, coached do that too you know.
Every thing you've said is correct and I agree with all of it. Just offering a different view.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Listening again to last last night's replay, I again heard the proposed keys from Mowins and White for OSU in the game against the Huskies.

1. Find a consistent THIRD scorer behind Mitchell and Alston. Um, I think finding a first and second scorer was vital before getting carried away looking for a third scorer.

2. They have to rebound the basketball. Definitely on that one, but the big key is to do it more than 28 times. Hard to win games or keep them close when you can't get more effort on the boards.
I thought it was some of the poorest boxing out I have seen from a major college team in a while, especially a so-called top tenner. And mind you I am an expert on poor boxing out.

Reaction Score
I thought it was some of the poorest boxing out I have seen from a major college team in a while, especially a so-called top tenner. And mind you I am an expert on poor boxing out.
They are acknowledged poor rebounding as a team. They were fast, they were energetic, they were, a bit, hectic and out of control. They shall learn (if their coach is any good). I wonder about him???

Reaction Score
Wonderful observations about the players. I'd like to suggest candidates for the most improved award: Geno & Staff. I never dreamed they could do better, but this year, incredibly, they seemed to have kicked it up a notch - sublime.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They are acknowledged poor rebounding as a team. They were fast, they were energetic, they were, a bit, hectic and out of control. They shall learn (if their coach is any good). I wonder about him???

If Natalie had been out there, it would have been a blood bath. Oh, wait, it was a blood bath. So, if Natalie had been out there it would have been Freddie Kruger VI!

Reaction Score
. . . 2) Commentator Beth Mowins was a disgraceful ESPN shill who went entire minutes at a time ignoring the game and doing a disservice to all those who expected her to do her job and talk about the game, not all that irrelevant crapola. . .

Some folks seem to be down on Beth Mowins. Apparently they don't understand that when she
reads all those football and men's basketball promos, she IS doing her job. That's one of the things
that she's paid to do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it will be like Tina Charles last year with Maya when they each won awards.
When we have the TWO best players in the country, the results are quite good. [Understatement! :D] We had that in 2010 and arguably 2002. I think we have it again.

Last year's average margin of victory was 40+ ppg, despite having a loss. Our current MOV stands at 44, against a top-7 team. Is the MOV record in jeopardy again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom