Three comments on OSU game. | The Boneyard

Three comments on OSU game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread and make a few comments. But might as well join on this one. Thanks for starting it Kib...

First, I was most impressed with Gabby Williams. Not because she is the best player on the team, but because she was the best player on the floor at times, AND she is light years better than last season. Games like this will remind us why she was the #2 kid in her class before her injuries.

Moriah was sensational as well. We are SO lucky to have the pleasure of watching her these past 3+ seasons and if she continues to play like she did tonight, she just might be the NPOY, and deservedly so.

Nurse- another kid like Gabby who is better than last season by a noticeable margin. She seems more in control this year (not nearly as many wild drives to the hoop in hopes of drawing a foul), but even tho more in control, still as intense as ever.

Stewie was Stewie and Tuck was Tuck.

Really enjoyed seeing Collier and Samuelson. Not a great game for either, but not horrible either. Saw some flashes of some very good things, and other times, freshman play.

This beatdown was a shocker to me. Never did I predict a 44 point thrashing of a legit top 10 team. These guys gave SC all SC could handle. SC should be very scared of UCONN at this point. I don't see how they keep the score to within a 20 point loss, to be honest. Just an incredible dominating performance. And again, all this with out Chong, Butler or Boykin. Holy cow!!!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Did Mitchell wear a mask in the SC game? Why is she wearing it, and how long does she have to wear it? The announcers never mentioned the mask.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mitchell did wear the mask in the South Carolina game.

Did Mitchell wear a mask in the SC game? Why is she wearing it, and how long does she have to wear it? The announcers never mentioned the mask.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else felt this way, but it was a little frightening. OSU is definitely overrated, but UConn is SCARY!!

For Mitchell...it's called DEFENSE. Welcome to the real world.
Not sure OSU is overrated. Probably playing the #2 team in their home arena in front of 16,000 is the 'real world,' and they put up 80 points. It's possible we are just that good. ??

Reaction Score
1. We had 'em all the way. ;)
2. If you had OSU and 43 points, you lost your bet! :(
3. Badass award: MoJet. :)

3 BA's awards: Jefferson, Nurse, Gabby.
What was Geno thinking?? 2 freshmen and Ekmark with Stewie siting on the bench??
Collier, KLS, in the game in the Second Quarter?? Who hired this coach??
Gabby, from all she did own's the 5ths starter position.
If you could pick the worst player of the game??? Who would it be? No one from Uconn!!
I kept waiting for OSU to start throwing in all those 3's --poor kids lost their touch~!! Uconn frosh and soph's can't play defense.

Reaction Score
Not sure OSU is overrated. Probably playing the #2 team in their home arena in front of 16,000 is the 'real world,' and they put up 80 points. It's possible we are just that good. ??

Hey J...you might be right. If so, it's gonna be like UCLA with Alcindor. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was every bit as good as the other starting four. I don't know why there was any doubt about her being the fifth starter. The three bench players may be good, but unfortunately they pale in comparison to the starting five, and when they subbed in, there was a noticeable drop in the level of play. As the guest commentator said, (can't remember his name) there is no weakness in UConn's starting five, offensively or defensively. That pretty much sums it up.

Reaction Score

the REAL question is ---if OSU isn't "overrated" (and I don't believe they are) and they were beaten in SC by USC only by 8 --is UConn REally that good??? A game where Geno used his Freshmen and 3 sophs, an invalid Jr and 2 walk-ons and won by 46 points in a terribly hostile arena!! Best part of the game was : with Stewie out Uconn increased the score with Freshmen on the floor.

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was every bit as good as the other starting four. I don't know why there was any doubt about her being the fifth starter. The three bench players may be good, but unfortunately they pale in comparison to the starting five, and when they subbed in, there was a noticeable drop in the level of play. As the guest commentator said, (can't remember his name) there is no weakness in UConn's starting five, offensively or defensively. That pretty much sums it up.
Gabby OWN's the 5th starter job.

Reaction Score
the REAL question is ---if OSU isn't "overrated" (and I don't believe they are) and they were beaten in SC by USC only by 8 --is UConn REally that good??? A game where Geno used his Freshmen and 3 sophs, an invalid Jr and 2 walk-ons and won by 46 points in a terribly hostile arena!! Best part of the game was : with Stewie out Uconn increased the score with Freshmen on the floor.
Well.... They only won by 44, not 46. So they might not be THAT good.

Seriously, I think they're that good. The way it feels right now, NWIH ND or SCAR or anyone else is even a serious threat as long as we stay mostly healthy.

Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread and make a few comments. But might as well join on this one. Thanks for starting it Kib...

First, I was most impressed with Gabby Williams. Not because she is the best player on the team, but because she was the best player on the floor at times, AND she is light years better than last season. Games like this will remind us why she was the #2 kid in her class before her injuries.

Moriah was sensational as well. We are SO lucky to have the pleasure of watching her these past 3+ seasons and if she continues to play like she did tonight, she just might be the NPOY, and deservedly so.

Nurse- another kid like Gabby who is better than last season by a noticeable margin. She seems more in control this year (not nearly as many wild drives to the hoop in hopes of drawing a foul), but even tho more in control, still as intense as ever.

Stewie was Stewie and Tuck was Tuck.

Really enjoyed seeing Collier and Samuelson. Not a great game for either, but not horrible either. Saw some flashes of some very good things, and other times, freshman play.

This beatdown was a shocker to me. Never did I predict a 44 point thrashing of a legit top 10 team. These guys gave SC all SC could handle. SC should be very scared of UCONN at this point. I don't see how they keep the score to within a 20 point loss, to be honest. Just an incredible dominating performance. And again, all this with out Chong, Butler or Boykin. Holy cow!!!
]

Absolutely correct, right on, naturally.
I was impressed with Geno using Collier and KLS early . Also when Stewie went out the score changed little (negatively)

Reaction Score
Well.... They only won by 44, not 46. So they might not be THAT good.

Seriously, I think they're that good. The way it feels right now, NWIH ND or SCAR or anyone else is even a serious threat as long as we stay mostly healthy.
You are correct 44---we nearly lost this one!! I guess I was just counting the points K.Mitchell made.

Reaction Score

For some reason, I think it's still Maryland's league to win. I swallow hard when I say that. OSU looks like a team that wants to "run fast/jump high" and not play the defense required to win a big conference. Then again, I may be wrong. Regardless, I won't lose any sleep.

Reaction Score
Scary good, that was my take. First game of the season usually sloppy, and trying to find their rhythm. Not at all this game. Mo can score at will, and is an outstanding floor general. Gabby is the real deal. The rest of the starting cast was terrific.Bench did their job. I'm afraid for the competition when Butler, Chong, and Boykin are healthy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My 3:

1.The star(s) of the game is Geno and the staff.
Who would have thunk it that zone was the way to cut down Ohio St's offense at the knees
Brilliant and brilliantly executed.

2. Gabby Williams is an amazing talent. At the beginning of the game she set the tone; a one woman wrecking ball. Her D is amazing, so quick and impossible to guard near the hoop.

3. We saw a bit of next years team plus Moriah for big stretches of the game and they held their own..when KLS finds her shot, they will be tough.

Three is up; can't speak of the seniors, Napheesa (wowsa), how good it is to see Saniya....and....

Reaction Score
For some reason, I think it's still Maryland's league to win. I swallow hard when I say that. OSU looks like a team that wants to "run fast/jump high" and not play the defense required to win a big conference. Then again, I may be wrong. Regardless, I won't lose any sleep.
OSU is only 2 games into their season. Don't cross them out in the Elite 8/FF4 before April. Look at UConn's 2nd game last year.
The will learn and Uconn will learn. If we are that much better at years end--wow. For the first quarter OSU must have thought they were playing a WNBA championship team--they were that good.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Everyone is going to try zone against them

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
24,26,24,26 ...
Pretty consistent on the offensive end!:)
Thought Mo was the best player on the floor tonight by quite a bit. Stewart and Tuck finally started hunting shots in the second half - probably an emphasis at half time in the locker room.
Gabby looks really good - I was worried about fouls with her and she sat for a large portion of the second quarter, but she was able to play the rest of the game without another which is great.

Defense - Geno has never been big on zone defenses and last year we played more zone than I remember in a long time. In this game Uconn played zone most of the game and with the speed and length on the team I think it can be very effective - certainly worked well against OSU and there constant attempts at dribble penetration.

Cooper was 2-17 against SC with 8 TOs so she comes out against Uconn and goes 8-13 with 1 TO - something tells me that CD had the scout and it read - give her room she can't hurt us from the field! :cool: (She always complains that happens when she does a scout.)

Early days and some missing pieces but WOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom