Thoughts on that tire fire. | The Boneyard

Thoughts on that tire fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That was the 2015 UConn Huskies to a tee.

Long stretches of lethargy, indifferent coaching, shots that would miss an ocean and strategically-bad defense in the last ten seconds. Oh, and Dan Guest.

That was a f---fest of horrible from start to finish.

Given how this season has gone, I expected that they'd take the momentum from the SMU game and throw it all away, but I figured they'd wait until Temple. Now, if they follow form, we get to see an uninspired 35 minutes in Philly topped by a five-minute rally that falls a little or a lot short.

And then the prospect of having to win four games in the AAC...not sure I can see these kids putting together two good games in a weekend let alone four.

Specifics...

1) The Dan Guest thing. Wow, did that go poorly. Guy was torched for six points and then thought he had the green light to fire up a three. I don't care why he was in the game, that was a huge mistake.

2) We shot 20 more free throws than Memphis and lost in a game where they scored 54 points. Do you know how many bad shots you have to take to squander that sort of gift? The answer is 34.

3) Somewhere along the way, a bunch of these guys got it into their heads that they're shooters. Someone needs to tell them otherwise. Calhoun is back to his habit of being a fern planted on the arc. Samuel should be fitted with blinders that prevent him from seeing the basket unless he's 18" from it. Purvis should not do whatever it is that he does when he has games like this.

4) F---.

5) The prospect of doing all this against next year without Boatright is terrifying.

6) In all likelihood, we're about ten days away from threads started by people who are outraged that we're a three seed in the NIT. We should have cyanide capsule around our next for situations like that.

7) Boat deserved better than this clusterf--- tonight. But how fitting that his last shot at Gample, assuming no NIT game there, was an obvious foul that went uncalled. That's about the 2000th time that's happened.

Reaction Score
Given how this season has gone, I expected that they'd take the momentum from the SMU game and throw it all away, but I figured they'd wait until Temple. Now, if they follow form, we get to see an uninspired 35 minutes in Philly topped by a five-minute rally that falls a little or a lot short.

Bingo

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Which, no matter the outcome, gets pointed to as a sign that they're turning the corner.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
That was the 2015 UConn Huskies to a tee. Long stretches of lethargy, indifferent coaching, shots that would miss an ocean and strategically-bad defense in the last ten seconds. Oh, and Dan Guest. That was a f---fest of horrible from start to finish. Given how this season has gone, I expected that they'd take the momentum from the SMU game and throw it all away, but I figured they'd wait until Temple. Now, if they follow form, we get to see an uninspired 35 minutes in Philly topped by a five-minute rally that falls a little or a lot short. And then the prospect of having to win four games in the AAC...not sure I can see these kids putting together two good games in a weekend let alone four. Specifics... 1) The Dan Guest thing. Wow, did that go poorly. Guy was torched for six points and then thought he had the green light to fire up a three. I don't care why he was in the game, that was a huge mistake. 2) We shot 20 more free throws than Memphis and lost in a game where they scored 54 points. Do you know how many bad shots you have to take to squander that sort of gift? The answer is 34. 3) Somewhere along the way, a bunch of these guys got it into their heads that they're shooters. Someone needs to tell them otherwise. Calhoun is back to his habit of being a fern planted on the arc. Samuel should be fitted with blinders that prevent him from seeing the basket unless he's 18" from it. Purvis should not do whatever it is that he does when he has games like this. 4) F---. 5) The prospect of doing all this against next year without Boatright is terrifying. 6) In all likelihood, we're about ten days away from threads started by people who are outraged that we're a three seed in the NIT. We should have cyanide capsule around our next for situations like that. 7) Boat deserved better than this clusterf--- tonight. But how fitting that his last shot at Gample, assuming no NIT game there, was an obvious foul that went uncalled. That's about the 2000th time that's happened.

You could see Brimah spending time practically pushing guest back out to the perimeter. Multiple times! You knew it was coming.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I can almost guarantee not a single writer will ask KO about having Guest in there. This team, this year, has squandered one of the great home court advantages in college ball.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
We'll be lucky to be in the NIT at all, much less a 3 seed. I'm not sure a 17-12 team in the AAC is even worthy of an NIT bid. The pregame stat that we have 12 wins against RPI 150+ teams is just brutal.

Reaction Score
Tonights game will probably be one of the most bizarre box scores you will ever see. We shot 15/54 compared to Memphis 23/58. And the free throws...UConn 18/22. Memphis 2/2. We lost 54-53. If the free throws were even remotely even, it would have been close to a blowout.

Reaction Score
That was the 2015 UConn Huskies to a tee.

3) Somewhere along the way, a bunch of these guys got it into their heads that they're shooters. Someone needs to tell them otherwise. Calhoun is back to his habit of being a fern planted on the arc. Samuel should be fitted with blinders that prevent him from seeing the basket unless he's 18" from it. Purvis should not do whatever it is that he does when he has games like this.

5) The prospect of doing all this against next year without Boatright is terrifying.

7) Boat deserved better than this clusterf--- tonight. But how fitting that his last shot at Gample, assuming no NIT game there, was an obvious foul that went uncalled. That's about the 2000th time that's happened.

3) T'Sam should never ever take a shot from 3.

5) Not really. It's D'Hams team next year. Excited about that.

7) Boatright made 2 bad choices in the last minute. 1) giving away the ball and 2) that prayer of a last second shot. Both bad decisions.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yeah, but have you heard about how bad the media WiFi is?!??!?!?!
Back in the day when I covered the team for the CDC, I learned that the Horde was primarily focused on the half time buffet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Dan Guest cameo was one of the single most indefensible moves ever by a UConn coach not named Bob Diaco or Paul Pasqualoni.

Again, I don't care why the guy was in the game, it was a terrible idea in theory and in practice.

If it was to get him a few minutes on senior night, it was idiotic. If it was because you were unhappy with the effort, you don't pull this move out of your ass in March when your margin for error is near zero.

Holy crap, that move gets worse the more I think about it.

Reaction Score
Funny but I believe Dan Guest would have been just as happy not playing. He surely wasn't expecting it with so much on the line.

Hell the schollie was better a better gift than the minutes.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The problem is that UConn has only three Div 1 players on the team. DHam is still a freshmen. Brimah is a project. The rest would have a hard time playing for Southern CT. TSam can't ball. Calhoun is a stand still jump shooter. Purvis is a basket case who I would cut after his best game. Facey should star in the remake of the Night of the Living Dead.
Nolan could start for Central, You can only juggle a lack of talent so far. Make no mistake. These guys can not play consistently well at this level. We look like the old Rutgers and Seton Hall teams. We need two more point guards for next season besides Adams. Purvis is a tease. Ollie needs to see if he can get some of these guys to transfer.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
The Dan Guest cameo was one of the single most indefensible moves ever by a UConn coach not named Bob Diaco or Paul Pasqualoni. Again, I don't care why the guy was in the game, it was a terrible idea in theory and in practice. If it was to get him a few minutes on senior night, it was idiotic. If it was because you were unhappy with the effort, you don't pull this move out of your ass in March when your margin for error is near zero. Holy crap, that move gets worse the more I think about it.

What drives me batty is that they stole a minute or two with him (Boat somehow got open for a 3 with Guest on the floor). Then they went to a TV timeout - whatever message you were trying to send was sent. And then he stays with him after the timeout and we get an 8-0 run dropped on us.

Reaction Score
The Dan Guest cameo was one of the single most indefensible moves ever by a UConn coach not named Bob Diaco or Paul Pasqualoni.

Again, I don't care why the guy was in the game, it was a terrible idea in theory and in practice.

If it was to get him a few minutes on senior night, it was idiotic. If it was because you were unhappy with the effort, you don't pull this move out of your ass in March when your margin for error is near zero.

Yup.

I will never blame him for this disaster of a season, but he should certainly shoulder some of the responsibility. The guy simply hasn't done a good job this season, and that atrocious move tonight was a prime example.

Reaction Score
The problem is that UConn has only three Div 1 players on the team. DHam is still a freshmen. Brimah is a project. The rest would have a hard time playing for Southern CT. TSam can't ball. Calhoun is a stand still jump shooter. Purvis is a basket case who I would cut after his best game. Facey should star in the remake of the Night of the Living Dead.
Nolan could start for Central, You can only juggle a lack of talent so far. Make no mistake. These guys can not play consistently well at this level. We look like the old Rutgers and Seton Hall teams. We need two more point guards for next season besides Adams. Purvis is a tease. Ollie needs to see if he can get some of these guys to transfer.

Nolan played very well tonight

Reaction Score

Is it really though? Because t Sam was in for one min and got blocked twice and threw it away twice. Purvis was being awful purvis at the start. I've seen omar give up more open threes than anyone. And he barely hit rim on a wide open jumper from six feet closer to the rim.

At some point what is ollie supposed to do? Can dan guest really be that much worse than omar and t dam the way they've been playing lately? As it out yes, but it isn't that absurd. It's not like he sat Ben Gordon denham and rashad. This is t Sam and omar were talking about. Both of them are just as likely to f up which they repeatedly did in this game as well.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if he played Guest for senior night.

I was shocked the walk ons came in last game against SMU up 10 with 25 secs left. SMU shot a couple shots to try to cut it to 6 that missed at the end but if they made it and forced a 5 second call things could have gotten more interesting than they should have...too good a team to mess around with walk ons unless your up 15-20.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Put Guest in a cast and let him make an unconstested layup. That's the right way to do these things.

Reaction Score
deedougie said:
3) T'Sam should never ever take a shot from 3. 5) Not really. It's D'Hams team next year. Excited about that. 7) Boatright made 2 bad choices in the last minute. 1) giving away the ball and 2) that prayer of a last second shot. Both bad decisions.

We will never know, but I think the first one was the play design. I think they were trying to use a high screen from DHam as a decoy, probably thinking they'd overplay or possibly double team Boat, then throw it to Purvis on the right and flare DHam into the left wing open. Memphis covered it so Purvis attacked the paint instead.

The second one, he probably should have kicked it out, but if he felt a foul, he should have forced it up, hoping for two shots and not a one and one.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

1000%! Beyond brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32