Thoughts on that tire fire. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on that tire fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see us giving a scholly to a PG that wouldn't normally be recruited. We are desperate for a second ball handler. If TSam has to start, we are screwed. Maybe Sam Jr. can improve his D or maybe Hamilton can fill in at PG. All I know life is going to be scary without Boat and Adams is going to have a lot of pressure to perform right away.

Reaction Score
Not thrilled with Purvis but watch where you are going. Do you want the Huskies' legacy to be that of Earl Kelley toting a gun around campus, multiple suspensions and, in general, Dom Perno's beyond horrible tenure (with deserved exception to Corny Thompson who deserved so much better)?

Talking about on court talent only(thought that was obvious).

Reaction Score
The problem is that UConn has only three Div 1 players on the team. DHam is still a freshmen. Brimah is a project. The rest would have a hard time playing for Southern CT. TSam can't ball. Calhoun is a stand still jump shooter. Purvis is a basket case who I would cut after his best game. Facey should star in the remake of the Night of the Living Dead.
Nolan could start for Central, You can only juggle a lack of talent so far. Make no mistake. These guys can not play consistently well at this level. We look like the old Rutgers and Seton Hall teams. We need two more point guards for next season besides Adams. Purvis is a tease. Ollie needs to see if he can get some of these guys to transfer.

This is a more idiotic post than anything even I have written.

Reaction Score
I really hate to pile on, but I have to wonder how it is that we end up with such a collection of awkward looking shooters on the perimeter. TSam, Omar, and RP are just painful to watch shooting the ball. Cassell too. His shoulders are never square. I can understand how guys can succeed in HS without a good shot. They are just so much more athletic than their competition that they can get where they want for their shots. But that's not going to be the case at this level. IMO, it's the rare case that shoots well (40%+) without good form. Rashad was an exception. Maybe Mouring. But most guys with bad form will shoot closer to 30%. They may be able to mix in streaks of hot shooting where their awkward mechanics will click perfectly, but they will return to the norm (see RP). My concern is that I don't see evidence of the coaching staff trying to teach better mechanics.

Boat is an exception. He has always had good basic form. His issues were more in how he prepared his feet and body. That has taken a big step forward this year, and I think it's why his shooting has been so much more consistent.

But what about the others? 2-3 years into their college careers, and we're still seeing ugly-looking shots chucked up. I'm worried that the coaching staff lacks a guy with good shooting form to teach it. KO, Ricky, Freeman - none of them had great strokes. Maybe Hobbs, but, honestly, I forget what his shot looked like. It's probably not easy to convince guys to rework their shots when they've had so much past success either. But 5% improvement across those 3 guys puts a lot more points on the board and opens things up more for others.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This is a more idiotic post than anything even I have written.
Really, we lost to Yale at home. We're 0- 3 on campus against bubble teams. We are barely over 500 in a conference that includes South Florida, Tulane, East Carolina and Houston. If we were in the Big 12, we might be 2-18 or some pathetic number. We have one of the best players in the country Boat, playing the most important position, point guard, yet we can't beat a 300 team in Houston.
Take Boat out of the equation; we might have six wins. We have recruited one freshman point guard and a power forward who is described as a project.

Reaction Score
Really, we lost to Yale at home. We're 0- 3 on campus against bubble teams. We are barely over 500 in a conference that includes South Florida, Tulane, East Carolina and Houston. If we were in the Big 12, we might be 2-18 or some pathetic number. We have one of the best players in the country Boat, playing the most important position, point guard, yet we can't beat a 300 team in Houston.
Take Boat out of the equation; we might have six wins. We have recruited one freshman point guard and a power forward who is described as a project.
You said Purvis, a former McDonald's AA?...and Facey and calhoun who were top 100 recruits couldn't play D1 basketball. I completely agree that all three have been disappointing but these three would dominate at the mid major level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom