Thoughts and Prayers For KLS for a quick recovery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts and Prayers For KLS for a quick recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought she was playing great tonight. She was so much more active around the hoop. We will really miss her on Tuesday. I hope she has more opportunities to play in a championship game in the future.

Reaction Score
Some broken bones in the foot have turned out to be worse than an ACL. Hopefully that is not the case here.
Isn't this one of those moments when ignorance is bliss. Why do we have to hear about the POSSIBILITY it could be worse than an ACL. I don't think it serves any of us to hear that, even if potentially you may be right. Thanks for nothing!

Reaction Score
The ESPN game summary said that the injury was to the "third metatarsal bone in her left foot." That doesn't mean anything to me; can one of you medical / training types help interpret that?

I also am surprised that people with no information immediately jump to worst-case possibilities. Why not assume a relatively benign outcome until we know otherwise? That domes the represent the balance of probabilities.
I am totally with you and I read a comment from someone that "a foot injury could possibly worse than an ACL" and I thought, why in the world would anyone without knowing anything about it, bring up such a thought. What purpose does it have???? Wouldn't this be the kind of person you would want to have around if someone you knew and loved was having a medical test? It's possible that that little ache you feel is a cancerous tumor. It's possible that t's not indigestion but stomach cancer. Makes absolutely no sense and I know my comparisons are to the extreme but I just can't fathom why there is a need to bring up the absolutely worst outcome when 99.999999% of the time it isn't valid.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Absolutely sounds like the injury as described including the pop as Katie Lou reported.

Metatarsal Fractures. Broken metatarsal bones | Patient

It is, generally, one of the better breaks in the foot given what we know. It was not open or compound. I assume given how Lou was moving on it that it is likely not displaced either. Displacement could lead to surgery to realign. The increases complications.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
One of those "A picture is worth a thousand words" moments...from The Day

EP-160409775.jpg&MaxW=960

UConn advances to national championship with 80-51 win over Oregon State

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Let us hope this is not the start of a Bill Walton-like chronic problem.

Even in the best case, this takes out some summer training for the second year in a row. I hope this is a "she's young and heels fast" sort of thing.
Gus, good point about it taking out some summer training for second year in a row.

I too wish her a fast and complete recovery.

GO HUSKIES.

HGN

Reaction Score
Is surgery the only method of healing ? Or can rest also heal the injury?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Having sprained and/or broken ankles and feet, I feel for Katie Lou. Best of luck to her and here's hoping to a complete and successful recovery.
Keep the faith...

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
A player wants to play and I'm sure she's heartbroken with not to being able to play in the NC game. She'll put on her game face, though, and be on the bench cheering on her team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This picture melts my heart
Even more so when you realize it took place during a game.

Reaction Score
Your empathy is astounding.
Sorry - just not into the over-the-top drama about it. Lou has the best medical team surrounding her. I feel bad she won't play - but once the shock wears off she'll be fine.

Reaction Score
We don't know enough about the injury to do more than guess. It could be anything from a simple boot for a few weeks to needing surgery, depending on the exact nature of the injury. Happily my only experience with it (HS friend) was a month in a boot, then careful rehab and no further issues. Hope she is as fortunate.

Reaction Score
May God bless her with a complete recovery.

I know she must be heartbroken that she can't play in the national championship game but hopefully she'll take comfort from the fact that she helped them get there.

Reaction Score
  • My son fractured his 3rd metatarsal in one foot and the 5th in the other playing football and he wasn't doing anything unusual. He was simply running, and I'm certain Katie can't believe it happened on so unremarkable a play. Both fractures involved wearing a cast for 10 weeks. The only problem he had was after wearing the casts that long his ankles didn't regain full range of motion for a few weeks. Given the great staff UConn has she should be fine.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson taking media questions Monday morning about the broken foot that will take her out of the NCAA title game.

fc770153-8c9d-471e-84c1-4e3845abacc7.jpg

Reaction Score
Sorry - just not into the over-the-top drama about it. Lou has the best medical team surrounding her. I feel bad she won't play - but once the shock wears off she'll be fine.

You, quite obviously, haven't a clue!

Reaction Score
You, quite obviously, haven't a clue!
Actually I do have a clue. And, I'm sure that I'm allowed to express an opinion that differs. As I've clearly said - I feel terrible that she won't be able to compete and I'm sure she's upset about that. But, as I've said, she has an incredible medical team surrounding her and I'm sure she - and the team - will be fine. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Let us hope this is not the start of a Bill Walton-like chronic problem.

Even in the best case, this takes out some summer training for the second year in a row. I hope this is a "she's young and heels fast" sort of thing.
The main cause of Walton's problems were high arches and abnormally brittle bones for a young man. A clean break of the 3rd metatarsal appears to be one of the breaks with a minimum of long term problems.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know she must be heartbroken that she can't play in the national championship game but hopefully she'll take comfort from the fact that she helped them get there.
That's probably the biggest thing. How many opportunities does a player get to to that (Stewart/Jefferson are the exceptions)? Usually, even at UCONN, 2 maybe 3 if you're really lucky, and she misses out on one of them already. Gotta be tough.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The main cause of Walton's problems were high arches and abnormally brittle bones for a young man. A clean break of the 3rd metatarsal appears to be one of the breaks with a minimum of long term problems.
OK, sounds good. Thanks.

As I've said, I'm a worrier. :confused:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This reminds me a little of Caroline's injury. She and Tiffany were unusually close, like twin sisters. When Caroline got hurt, Tiffany was very upset, but she settled down and realized she needed to cover for her bestie. I hope Napheesa can cover for Lou tonight. As for Lou, best wishes, be careful, and may your injury heal quickly and never recur! Thanks for helping us get this far!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is surgery the only method of healing ? Or can rest also heal the injury?
Depends if the break is displaced which given present reports I doubt that it is.

Reaction Score
  • My son fractured his 3rd metatarsal in one foot and the 5th in the other playing football and he wasn't doing anything unusual. He was simply running, and I'm certain Katie can't believe it happened on so unremarkable a play. Both fractures involved wearing a cast for 10 weeks. The only problem he had was after wearing the casts that long his ankles didn't regain full range of motion for a few weeks. Given the great staff UConn has she should be fine.

Sounds about right:
How Are The Metatarsal Bones Treated?
It’s important to know that treatment methods differ for each metatarsal. If you have injured the second, third, or fourth metatarsal, you will need to get plenty of rest and allow yourself to become immobile for a while.

Recovery periods range from four to eight weeks, depending on the severity of the fracture or break. The most commonly injured metatarsals are the second and the fifth—the one that leads up to the pinky toe.

Your foot doctor will more than likely prescribe you plenty of rest and immobility. He or she may also advise you to practice the RICE method. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation are very important when healing bones in the foot and lower leg.

If you cannot stay off your feet for the period recommended, your doctor may be able to fit you with a walking cast or brace to enable mobility. Stiff-soled shoes and/or crutches may also be beneficial to your situation.

If these methods fail, surgery may be considered. If your injury involves multiple breaks or a displaced bone, or if the healing process is not moving forward, your doctor may perform a surgical procedure to fix your metatarsal.

How Can I Prevent Metatarsal Frac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan