This Was a Great Win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This Was a Great Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game was 13-9 with 9 minutes left and Villanova had the ball at the UConn 36 with a 4th and 1 and couldn't execute a snap.

They blew a tackle that would have ended the first UConn TD drive. They missed a chip shot FG off a bad snap/hold. The QB put the ball on the ground trying to keep his balance for a turnover. Until the Johnson 8 yard run with 1:30 left Villanova outgained UConn.

When you are down 4 with 9 minutes left at the opponents 36 and make a completely unforced error... it seems self evident that you can make the case that your mistakes may have cost you the game.

But whatever - I think 99.9% of the world understands this - you just can't have a rational conversation because your bias doesn't allow it.

We made less mistakes than they did. That's how you win games. Game was LOADED with mistakes from both sides.

It was much closer than score indicates. One single mistake more from us and one less from them and we lose. Great teaching game for coaching staff. We actually won a game we're supposed to win for the first time in about 3 years. That feels great, and that's the only thing great about the game. Ton of improvement to do if we're going to play all the way through December.

-15's lighting up the afterburners into the sunset is just so damn cool.

Pratt and Whitney engines.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't believe we had an illegal procedure penalty all game. If so, how long has it been since that happened?

Reaction Score
The game was 13-9 with 9 minutes left and Villanova had the ball at the UConn 36 with a 4th and 1 and couldn't execute a snap.

They blew a tackle that would have ended the first UConn TD drive. They missed a chip shot FG off a bad snap/hold. The QB put the ball on the ground trying to keep his balance for a turnover. Until the Johnson 8 yard run with 1:30 left Villanova outgained UConn.

When you are down 4 with 9 minutes left at the opponents 36 and make a completely unforced error... it seems self evident that you can make the case that your mistakes may have cost you the game.

But whatever - I think 99.9% of the world understands this - you just can't have a rational conversation because your bias doesn't allow it.

Being an incessant rag is not insight.

It is way too early in the season to say definitively that the program is on the right track after being nuked by PP, but last night provided reasons to be optimistic. Try to find a way to enjoy the ride.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Being an incessant rag is not insight.

It is way too early to say definitively that the program is not on the right track after being nuked by PP, but last night provided reasons to be optimistic. Try to find a way to enjoy the ride.

Dude all I said is that Villanova can make the case that their mistakes cost them the game. If that's a 'rag' - I'll live with it because it's true.

As for the rest where the hell did I say the program isn't going in the right direction? Do some of you go blind the second you see a post that upsets you and you make up the rest of what it says?

Reaction Score
Was pleased with the OL performance overall - did a good job of run blocking for Johnson most of the night (against an FCS-level defense, yes, but better than 2 years ago when Towson pushed them around). Still needs improvement but a good start.

Reaction Score
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Villanova is likely better than or at least equivalent to Army, USF, or Tulane. Hard to not be optimistic right now.

Reaction Score
I don't believe we had an illegal procedure penalty all game. If so, how long has it been since that happened?

The end of first half wasn't anything that would draw a flag, but was pretty offensive. yes, we did show improvement in not drawing penalties for procedure in communucations, personnel, lining up and getting a snap off, but we got work to do!

Reaction Score
Good post. I think the linebacker play was very disappointing. We will have huge problems if our LBs cannot get off blocks and read wildcat, QB tuck and runs and the run option.

Reaction Score
Good post. I think the linebacker play was very disappointing. We will have huge problems if our LBs cannot get off blocks and read wildcat, QB tuck and runs and the run option.

They're going to get plenty of reps against Army and Navy.

Reaction Score
He didn't say great game, he said great WIN. It was. Played a descent team, with top notch QB, left lot of points on the table, ran the clock out on offense rather than hoping defense holds at end of game, offensive play calling was workmanlike, players looked like not 1st time putting on jock straps - plenty of things to do better but also plenty of good things; not a great game but definitely a GREAT WIN.

Before game told wife for Missouri game "we get to 2 and 0, we got to go". 11 hour drive from NOLA but chance to see undefeated UConn team at an SEC site, got to do it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm re-watching the game as we speak...Carrazola (15) played the first quarter like a man possessed, J.J. Watt style. Johnson looked good running the ball too. O-line needs to find their Dr. Scholl's. They are far better than last year, but it's clear they are not quite gellin' yet.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Solid win. There is a fair amount of stuff to clean up but overall, I liked the way our OL played, I liked Shirreffs decision making with the football, and RonJon ran in beast mode (although the taunting penalty can be left in the locker room). Defense looked good, particularly the secondary. Luke Carrezola looks like a mini-Vrabel for us on D.

Adeymi's penalty for throwing a punch (he was lucky to not get thrown out of the game) was the worst play of the game. Led to Nova's late TD which could have been killer had their coach given them a chance to win the game by attempting an onside kick.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He didn't say great game, he said great WIN. It was. Played a descent team, with top notch QB, left lot of points on the table, ran the clock out on offense rather than hoping defense holds at end of game, offensive play calling was workmanlike, players looked like not 1st time putting on jock straps - plenty of things to do better but also plenty of good things; not a great game but definitely a GREAT WIN.

Before game told wife for Missouri game "we get to 2 and 0, we got to go". 11 hour drive from NOLA but chance to see undefeated UConn team at an SEC site, got to do it.
Correct. Anytime win that you can end the game in the Victory formation is a good win.

Reaction Score
I was so nervous and intense my girlfriend has already sworn off watching games with me this year.

At any rate, it was a very good win on every level that the OP mentioned. Team showed incredible improvement over last year.

Army is going to be tough too next week, but we can get the W.

Let's go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
All I'll say it was the most important win in the last 3 years. We lose this game and it could have been a program killer. We might be looking at 1-4 to start the year with attendance being SMU like for the rest of the year.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Dude all I said is that Villanova can make the case that their mistakes cost them the game. If that's a 'rag' - I'll live with it because it's true.

The Villanova what-if case is that they could have made it a nail biter, the UConn what-if case is that it could have been a blowout.

Not equivalent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Villanova what-if case is that they could have made it a nail biter, the UConn what-if case is that it could have been a blowout.

Not equivalent.

Had they been smart enough to attempt an onside kick it could have been a nailbiter even with making all the mistakes.

They were down 4 with 9 minutes left at the UConn 36 and fumbled the snap.

People say I'm argumentative? Good grief.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was so nervous and intense my girlfriend has already sworn off watching games with me this year.

At any rate, it was a very good win on every level that the OP mentioned. Team showed incredible improvement over last year.

Army is going to be tough too next week, but we can get the W.

Let's go Huskies!!!
Good strategy :D

Reaction Score
Had they been smart enough to attempt an onside kick it could have been a nailbiter even with making all the mistakes.

They were down 4 with 9 minutes left at the UConn 36 and fumbled the snap.

People say I'm argumentative? Good grief.

I couldn't believe we called timeout, but it had to be because the guys on our side couldn't figure out what the hell villanova was doing by lining up in standard kick formation. Right?

Husky25

Reaction Score
The most disruptive mistake was the holding call on Levy in the first half that turned a huge gain for us into an ultimate safety for them.

I just got to that play. It was a ticky-tack call. D-lineman played it up. On the other hand The hold on Knappe was blatant. He just flat got beat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe we called timeout, but it had to be because the guys on our side couldn't figure out what the hell villanova was doing by lining up in standard kick formation. Right?

That was a great TO. We weren't sure and you don't get money back at the end for unused TO's. We should have used one at the end of the 1st half just before the pick when we seemed to be in a bit of disarray.

Reaction Score
Nice win. Shoulda, coulda been 34-9 if a few miscues didn't happen. But, overall, the crowd was loud and the players responded. The student section should get a round of applause for their support of the team tonight. They were shakin' the rafters at the Rent. Show up like this for every home game and the team will respond in kind. Game Balls to Carezolla, Shirreffs, Myers, Johnson and Noel Thomas who kept a lot of key drives going with runs for 1st downs throughout the game. Outstanding way to start the season off. And let me not forget Verducci. Called a great offensive game and showed the trust he has in the players. Good game coach. It was nice to sit in a stadium that was not filled with expectant doom. Except for my son-in-law who is a born pessimist. See you all at the Army game.

Dooley

Reaction Score
We should have used one at the end of the 1st half just before the pick when we seemed to be in a bit of disarray.

Thought the same thing. Looked like there was confusion on where to line up and they looked a bit discombobulated coming to the line. If I remember correctly, there even looked to be some panic/confusion getting the play to Shirreffs.

Reaction Score

I think Diaco was assuming onside, and called timeout to see how they were going to try to execute it -- kind of like taking the TO before the inbounds play in basketball.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think Diaco was assuming onside, and called timeout to see how they were going to try to execute it -- kind of like taking the TO before the inbounds play in basketball.

Yup. Lining up to see their formation and then get the proper guys in the proper spots on the field. I don't think anyone in the stadium, other than Villanova, expected a kick off there. My guess is Diaco just reminded EVERYONE to stay on their toes, including Adams and Obi (who were in the middle by the kicker).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom