This Was a Great Win | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This Was a Great Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You know what was great about this win? Even when 'Nova scored 9 straight points in the second quarter, I don't remember the feeling of dread that UConn couldn't come back and win that always seemed to accompany a score vs. a Pasqualoni team. As I expected, UConn's depth on Defense took over in the second half. 'Nova's offensive line didn't play particularly well at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know what was great about this win? Even when 'Nova scored 9 straight points in the second quarter, I don't remember the feeling of dread that UConn couldn't come back and win that always seemed to accompany a score vs. a Pasqualoni team.

I'll be honest. I had "same ol" thoughts creeping back into my head when we botched that last-minute 1st half drive. After the pick, a guy in the next section yelled "Pasqualoni" and I had to wonder. However, that all went out the window after the Myers catch and run.

Reaction Score
That was a great TO. We weren't sure and you don't get money back at the end for unused TO's. We should have used one at the end of the 1st half just before the pick when we seemed to be in a bit of disarray.

A bit of disarray? Lol. After the run that put the ball just outside the goal, nobody on the field had any idea what to do. The play clock was under 10 secs and they were still futzing around. Diaco needs to call a TO there. I won't have a chance to rewatch this game unless its available online, but there i'd say were probably 65-70 or so plays for O,D,K units in the game, that probably 75% had major mistakes, some penalties, some assignments and mental, some physical, and coaching -and that goes for both teams.

Amazingly, the communication got done, the new sherriff in town got them squared away and lined up and the got the ball snapped legally. It almost turned into a TD too, if the ball isn't bobbled. Gotta stop bobbling, happened more than once too. Even if we score there, there are coaching issues to clean up. Usually you've got 2 plays called out to the field in that kind of situation, down distance and click. To avoid exactly whst hsppened, you don't get in, you line up and go with the next call.

Either they didn't do that, or that play before was the second play. Either way somebody on the sideline or booth has got to be ready to call a TO. It was way too close to a delay penalty there in a situation where you got to come away with points. A FG or TD. No penalties. No turnovers. That situation was a fail on everybody. Even though it wasn't an actusl procedure penalty.

In this case, they managed to line up in time, get the ball snapped and nearly pulled off the score if not for a physical error.

Twominute drill and situational football got lots of room to improve.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco was assuming onside, and called timeout to see how they were going to try to execute it -- kind of like taking the TO before the inbounds play in basketball.

I think everybody in the stadium thought an onside kick was coming except the villanova coaches and nova layers on the field. I brt lots of nova players on the sideline expected it too. I think we came out ready for it and seeing a normal kickoff alignment confused everybody and we weren't ready for a long kick (which we had trouble with earlier in game -tarbutt showed he's a kicker thatcan hitwell, for a kicker. I don't agree with the basketball analogy. It was a good decision to take the TO either way though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'll be honest. I had "same ol" thoughts creeping back into my head when we botched that last-minute 1st half drive. After the pick, a guy in the next section yelled "Pasqualoni" and I had to wonder. However, that all went out the window after the Myers catch and run.
HA!! I heard that too!!!

The difference is the interception would have come on third down after two straight runs into the center of the line. It also would have come in UConn's end of the field, unless they were starting in the offensive end. There's an aggressiveness to the play calling that UConn has not seen since the Orlovsky years.

Reaction Score
That was awesome. Tarbutt played huge on that hit! So unlike most kickers.

Yeah. There were lots of times when we really just were clearly the more physically dominant team, and that's the way it should be since we are actually 1A to there 1AA. that was one, Ron Johnson's run over penalty another. Just get up and walk away kid. That guy and everybody in the stadium kniws what you did. Dont get in his face, walk away like you done it a thousand times and are going to do it a thousand more. There was a nice collision midfield on a throw with one of our TE's and their defender resulted incomplete pass, but the defender came away the loser, i think it was bloom walked away like it was nothing but a speed bump. Our OL wasn't getting pushed around, and we demonstrated some power football off right tackle and guard. Our DL is the strength of the team.

And OBI, much maligned Obi was laying wood and bresking up big play passes all night.

Reaction Score
You just can't have a rational conversation because your bias doesn't allow it.
No one is more rational than me. I'm just more positive than you. Every game has plays that don't work and execution that goes awry. I'm talking about self inflicted errors. Penalties are the first and foremost examples. Levy's holding, Johnson's celebration and Fatukasi's fighting either led to their scoring a safety and touchdown or stopped our drives toward other scores. I repeat, our mistakes kept us from burying them far more than their (self inflicted) mistakes kept them from simply beating us. You can disagree but it's so. Nevertheless, lets agree to not pick nits over this and simply rejoice in the win. Let's get ready to watch our Huskies beat Army next weekend. And they will.

Reaction Score
No one is more rational than me. I'm just more positive than you. Every game has plays that don't work and execution that goes awry. I'm talking about self inflicted errors. Penalties are the first and foremost examples. Levy's holding, Johnson's celebration and Fatukasi's fighting either led to their scoring a safety and touchdown or stopped our drives toward other scores. I repeat, our mistakes kept us from burying them far more than their (self inflicted) mistakes kept them from simply beating us. You can disagree but it's so. Nevertheless, lets agree to not pick nits over this and simply rejoice in the win. Let's get ready to watch our Huskies beat Army next weekend. And they will.

You were right to be confident they would win. I was nervous until the final offensive series when we kneeled on it. That's a important concept btw, much easier to win games when you possess the ball at the end rather than defending.

I think whaler's point is simply that the game was in reality very close and very much in doubt for most of the 60minutes,which is the truth.

It was a great win. Fantastic game for building on positively.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Well, when you consider the ultimate goal is to beat Alabama....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you can't admit that Villanova made mistakes that cost them a chance to win, and if they hadn't made them they could have won then I think you need a new definition of rational.

Positive and negative labels which you love don't matter - we are analyzing something that already happened.

Villanova got the ball to the UConn 36 and literally dropped it on the field and cost them their shot to win.

Reaction Score
Adeyemi's penalty for throwing a punch
Dooley, I assume you know that it was actually Fatukasi that threw the punch.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It was a very good win to start the season off. If Foley keeps his head, the game is 20-9. If Johnson kept his head, it would have been even more. But it's a heck of a lot nicer to say "shoulda, coulda, woulda" after a win rather than after a loss!

UConn is still undefeated. I hate to say I told you so, but... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger