This game was all about the coach | The Boneyard

This game was all about the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On the coaches show Diaco was asked how he was going to game plan for BYU and their QB. He answered that it wasn't about game planning for BYU, it was about how UConn would prepare for the game.

Well, they came out and pooped the bed. The defense made critical penalties, they couldn't get lined up, didn't know if they should be on or off the field, lost their assignments, and let the QB walk into the end zone.

Then it was the special teams turn, a silly block below the waste became a 40-yard penalty and instead of having the ball in BYU territory the offense was backed up.

The offense ran one play and fumbled. Then the defense gave up a TD on one play.

Defense, Offense and STs, none of them were ready to go. They all acted like they had never been here before. I don't know what Diaco said pregame. But he should burn that speech.

The worse thing he did all night was remove CC after he moved the team all the way down the field. WTF was that. CW immediate got sacked twice, one because he forgot to throw the ball away and ran out of bounds. That coach's decision made no sense. NONE.

I did like one thing, that everyone else seems to hate. I loved the fake field goal. After years of coaches who never take a chance, the fake was a ballsy call. It didn't work but now it's on film for other teams. If this is exhibition season, then get a fake FG on tape. If nothing else, it will slow the rush on future FGs.

Tough to judge the players when the coach deserves a D or F. I will say this, however, Joe Gibbs lost the first five game he coached for the Redskins. He started 0-5. He eventually won three Super Bowls. So I ain't giving up on Diaco. Too small a sample size.

Reaction Score
On the coaches show Diaco was asked how he was going to game plan for BYU and their QB. He answered that it wasn't about game planning for BYU, it was about how UConn would prepare for the game.

Well, they came out and pooped the bed. The defense made critical penalties, they couldn't get lined up, didn't know if they should be on or off the field, lost their assignments, and let the QB walk into the end zone.

Then it was the special teams turn, a silly block below the waste became a 40-yard penalty and instead of having the ball in BYU territory the offense was backed up.

The offense ran one play and fumbled. Then the defense gave up a TD on one play.

Defense, Offense and STs, none of them were ready to go. They all acted like they had never been here before. I don't know what Diaco said pregame. But he should burn that speech.

The worse thing he did all night was remove CC after he moved the team all the way down the field. WTF was that. CW immediate got sacked twice, one because he forgot to throw the ball away and ran out of bounds. That coach's decision made no sense. NONE.

I did like one thing, that everyone else seems to hate. I loved the fake field goal. After years of coaches who never take a chance, the fake was a ballsy call. It didn't work but now it's on film for other teams. If this is exhibition season, then get a fake FG on tape. If nothing else, it will slow the rush on future FGs.

Tough to judge the players when the coach deserves a D or F. I will say this, however, Joe Gibbs lost the first five game he coached for the Redskins. He started 0-5. He eventually won three Super Bowls. So I ain't giving up on Diaco. Too small a sample size.

Reaction Score
I liked that they warmed up next to the student section this year and made BYU go down to the other side. The game itself was pretty bad, but being Diaco's first game he can learn from his mistakes and hopefully turn this program around.

Reaction Score
Once UConn got away from a simple 3 man defensive rush and everyone else waiting around to see what Hill was going to do their defense was more effective.

One game does not make a season so lets see if they punish Stoney Brook and then follow it up with an inspired effort vs Boise St.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Classic!
Well, you could also read it as "blah, blah, blah... too small a sample size". My main gripe with the post was the line about nobody looking like they had been there before. There were mistakes, yes, but I did not come away from the game with that impression.

Reaction Score
No one should give up on a coach after one game. I didn't give up on P until season 2. We will have to see how the team progresses. We obviously don't have all the personnel for the system he wants to implement on defense. His coaching will have to be better if this ever going to be the hot ticket he promised. I think the board is over reacting a bit. We didn't look good last night. It will get better.

Reaction Score
Well, you could also read it as "blah, blah, blah... too small a sample size". My main gripe with the post was the line about nobody looking like they had been there before. There were mistakes, yes, but I did not come away from the game with that impression.
I wasn't talking about the whole game. I was talking about the first five minutes. Every unit, save the KO team, looked unprepared.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about the whole game. I was talking about the first five minutes. Every unit, save the KO team, looked unprepared.
Fair enough. A big part of that was DeLo's fumble. That was a pretty big swing, even if it didn't deflate the whole team mentally/emotionally as much as it might have last year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn had a plan, then they were punched in the mouth. BYU is not the best team (fighter) in the country (world), but they were Mike Tyson last night. UConn was Michael Spinks.

Reaction Score
Diaco's plan should have been to punch them in the mouth. You know what they say about first impressions. It's his first game in his first year, but he dug a little hole last night.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Diaco's plan should have been to punch them in the mouth. You know what they say about first impressions. It's his first game in his first year, but he dug a little hole last night.
That was the plan, but...I know you noticed the fumble on the fumble on the first play from scrimmage...

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I hate coming back to this site after a loss. I think we can at least give HCBD a few more games before we call for his head! Wish for more positives to feel good about the season, but bad games happen.

Reaction Score
I hate coming back to this site after a loss. I think we can at least give HCBD a few more games before we call for his head! Wish for more positives to feel good about the season, but bad games happen.

Not calling for his head, but just like the players, he's under evaluation. And unfortunately he doesn't appear to be a lucky General.

Reaction Score

Mistake #1 was deferring the kickoff. YOU DONT GIVE A HEISMAN QB CANDIDATE THE FIRST OFFENSIVE POSSESSION! Give us a chance to catch a little lightening on an opening drive, instead of going down 7 in 4 minutes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Mistake #1 was deferring the kickoff. YOU DONT GIVE A HEISMAN QB CANDIDATE THE FIRST OFFENSIVE POSSESSION! Give us a chance to catch a little lightening on an opening drive, instead of going down 7 in 4 minutes.
Meh that's a 50/50 call. If we get a pick-6 he's a genius.

Reaction Score
No one should give up on a coach after one game. I didn't give up on P until season 2. We will have to see how the team progresses. We obviously don't have all the personnel for the system he wants to implement on defense. His coaching will have to be better if this ever going to be the hot ticket he promised. I think the board is over reacting a bit. We didn't look good last night. It will get better.
Anyone who gave Paul a bit of cred to be the proper hire, let alone wait until season 2 to realize it...Well I guess we will just love one another ...
As for Bob...Don't make the same mistake as Paul, name a damn QB and live with it! We look like a high school experiment...

C

Chief00

I wasn't aware we deferred the kickoff - against a Heisman type QB that's crazy.

Reaction Score
Deferring is always the right thing to do. Let's not kill him for things he did right. Without the penalties or the confusion we would have stopped the BYU on the first drive

Reaction Score
Hard to kill the coach when there clearly just aren't enough players on this team. Did he make some questionable decisions? Yes. But at the end of the day it really comes down to being able to recruit good players. Fast, athletic players. The kind that we just don't seem to have many of right now.

Reaction Score

I wish I could like this again

Reaction Score
Deferring is always the right thing to do. Let's not kill him for things he did right. Without the penalties or the confusion we would have stopped the BYU on the first drive

Its is when the stadium is full and ready to make noise. When its half full and disinterested from the start might as well receive try to score/burn the clock on a drive and let the crows fill in to get that home field noise advantage.

Reaction Score

The Only unit that sucked those 5 minutes were the ACC referees.

Discouraging and disappointing. But, I thought that was throwing flags NOT just on deserved calls ... but ones that were probably iffy. 12 calls in the first 12 minutes. I thought we coulda/shoulda stopped Hill & BYU that first series; we had some 3rd and very long. That TD was hard earned. Then, DeLorenzo coughed up the all AND a good football observer would have known that 14-0 was a steep hill for this particular set of Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom