There were seven, and now only USC and Oregon State remain. | The Boneyard

There were seven, and now only USC and Oregon State remain.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
There has to be a better way to determine who goes dancing in March. For years we have seen the Pac 12 Conference has sent 5-7 teams to the dance in March only to see them almost all eliminated by the final four. This year was no exception the PAC 12 started with 7 teams and they are now down to 2 with Oregon State playing South Carolina in the elite 8 and USC playing the winner of Duke vs UConn in the elite 8.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
There has to be a better way to determine who goes dancing in March. For years we have seen the Pac 12 Conference has sent 5-7 teams to the dance in March only to see them almost all eliminated by the final four. This year was no exception the PAC 12 started with 7 teams and they are now down to 2 with Oregon State playing South Carolina in the elite 8 and USC playing the winner of Duke vs UConn in the elite 8.
If USC make it past Baylor.

Very disappointed with the UCLA Bruins. Live and die by the 3-pt shot at this stage of the tournament? A ton of wide-open rushed threes - sheesh....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Umm, USC has a Sweet Sixteen game yet to play.

Reaction Score
If USC make it past Baylor.

Very disappointed with the UCLA Bruins. Live and die by the 3-pt shot at this stage of the tournament? A ton of wide-open rushed threes - sheesh....
Outside shooting has been their kryptonite for some time. Osborne and Rice, can look incredible when their shots are falling but all too often they produce 5/17 shooting stats. That team desperately needs some consistent high percentage outside shooters. If Close can get a couple of Paopaos in the portal and Betts can get fully healthy, they could be a real problem next year. When you shoot 35% & 22% as a team, you’re not gonna be winning too many games against good teams! At one point today they were 1 for 15 from three!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why single out the Pac 12? Do you really think the other P5 conferences have been better?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is definitely bias mixed with $ involved in the NCAA selection process. We see this bias in different situations too. The media has this bias which they give a name. It is Blue Bloods. Certain schools are Blue Bloods despite not having won anything for years and years. This prejudice has been manifested against UConn. They put on serious faces and debate the question is UConn a Blue Blood. Last year hours and hours were devoted to that as the men tore up the tournament and darned if the question hasn't been asked again this year, though less prominently and frequently.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Why single out the Pac 12? Do you really think the other P5 conferences have been better?
And really, what does it matter...next season it will be moot as the BIG3 conferences take over NCAA sports. The Pac12 won't be sending 5 to 7 teams, but the BIG3 could each be sending 8 or 9 EACH...Could be rough on the other conferences for at large bids.
But this will a BIG discussion during the off season, I'm sure

Reaction Score
Why are you picking on the PAC 12? Five of their teams made the sweet 16, which is a superlative performance. Kicking them when they are down (last year in existence) is not a good look.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And really, what does it matter...next season it will be moot as the BIG3 conferences take over NCAA sports. The Pac12 won't be sending 5 to 7 teams, but the BIG3 could each be sending 8 or 9 EACH...Could be rough on the other conferences for at large bids.
But this will a BIG discussion during the off season, I'm sure
Just curious who is already being eliminated between the Big 12 and the ACC. I know there are signs the ACC could start disintegrating like the Pac did, but we aren't there yet.

Anyway, I would bet SEC will get more than 8 or 9. They've already been able to do that, and now add Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Their shooting was atrocious this game.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Just curious who is already being eliminated between the Big 12 and the ACC. I know there are signs the ACC could start disintegrating like the Pac did, but we aren't there yet.

Anyway, I would bet SEC will get more than 8 or 9. They've already been able to do that, and now add Texas and Oklahoma.
By the BIG 3, I was including the ACC, SEC and B1G conferences. I understand that the ACC might start to disintegrate, I guess mainly due to football, with most of the school's affected, IMO, going to either the SEC and B1G.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
With USC advancing, overall the Pac is "on chalk". Colorado and OSU went one round (at least) than their seed would indicate, UCLA and Stanford one fewer. So where's the bias?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, well despite being fairly disappointed by the collective performance in Round 3 the Pac 12 still has 2 teams, which is only matched by the SEC. How many did the SEC start with? Pretty sure it was more than 7.

Reaction Score
There is definitely bias mixed with $ involved in the NCAA selection process. We see this bias in different situations too. The media has this bias which they give a name. It is Blue Bloods. Certain schools are Blue Bloods despite not having won anything for years and years. This prejudice has been manifested against UConn. They put on serious faces and debate the question is UConn a Blue Blood. Last year hours and hours were devoted to that as the men tore up the tournament and darned if the question hasn't been asked again this year, though less prominently and frequently.
... and answered, repeatedly (most recently tonight), on the basketball court .... :cool:

Reaction Score
The elite eight by conference:

Big 12- 1
SEC - 2
ACC - 1
Big 10-1
Big east - 1
PAC 12- 2

By this metric, the PAC 12 and SEC were the best conferences. Pac 12 also had the most teams make the sweet 16, 5. Not sure why you’ve singled them out.

I do understand the call for more mid majors, but the mid majors really laid an egg in this years tournament.

It’s nice to see a balanced elite 8, you basically have the top teams from the top conferences battling it out. Lots of matchups we haven’t seen this year.

Reaction Score
There has to be a better way to determine who goes dancing in March. For years we have seen the Pac 12 Conference has sent 5-7 teams to the dance in March only to see them almost all eliminated by the final four.
By definition only 4 teams make it to the Final Four. The PAC12 put 7 teams into this year's tournament and 5 of them made it to the Sweet Sixteen. That's damn good, and as good (or better) as any of the other power conferences. Not sure the First Four Out would be better than the 4 lowest ranked PAC12 (they certainly wouldn't be close if you went on KenPom or Warren Nolan metrics).

Reaction Score
All four regional brackets are #1 vs. #3. I am hoping for two #3 wins, and two #1 wins: Connecticut & NC State for the #3's, and South Carolina & Iowa for the #1's.

So that after PB, Nika, AE and the Freshmen overcome Juju & the less talented USC (South Carolina being the more talented USC), they can take on Iowa, before taking on the undefeated USC. However, if NC State has a fantastic game and USC not-so-much, the Huskies can still "erase" one of their previous losses when it really matters!

I still like the Huskies chances in THIS tournament!!!! Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic; the Big 10 still has five teams in the WBIT and WNIT. Quite an accomplishment.
Appreciate the shout out for the Big 10. My hometown Minnesota Gophers are looking and playing well in their post season run.

Reaction Score
Yes, certain schools ARE Bluebloods. Looking at wbb:

UConn is the bluest blood (royal blue) of them all. Southern Cal, Tennessee and Notre Dame Stanford, Baylor are all blue (though some are faded). South Carolina's blood is getting bluer by the year. Even LaTech retains some blue tinge. UConn is royalty. The rest are aristocrats. I have never heard anyone debate that UConn is NOT a blueblood. Occasional someone will argue that the are not THE only blueblood.

I really don't understand your post especially the bolded part. Every fan base feels slighted when not worshiped. "ESPN hates us!"

(with all that said, I felt the human committee members and pollsters were just plain stupid this year. They looked too much at who was injured rather than who was playing for y'all. The computers had it right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom