The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take out Buffalo, UMass, and Fordham and how's that working out for you and PP. Better offense (schemes, emphasis and players) would be a nice complement to the defense. Might even have produced a record better than 8-11 in the past two seasons. So I see offense - or improved offense as the way to get more wins. So your statement is ridiculous.

Talk about changing your argument. Who in their right mind doesn't think this offense needs to improve? You go from talking about a spread offense, to an improved offense. Nice backtracking.

I get it. Exciting offenses are more important to you than winning. I don't think you are alone on this board.

Reaction Score
Talk about changing your argument. Who in their right mind doesn't think this offense needs to improve? You go from talking about a spread offense, to an improved offense. Nice backtracking.

I get it. Exciting offenses are more important to you than winning. I don't think you are alone on this board.

And for you . . . Nostalgic offense, power sweep left and power sweep right, run right at 'em, doesn't matter if they know it's coming Boys . . . Is definitely more important than winning. Yep, the old "smashmouth", man against man battle at the LOS is where its really at. Screw scoring TDs, just chew up the clock. Way more machismo than winning if you have to do it in the air.

If you're gonna misrepresent me - that I'm more interested in exciting offense than winning - then right back at ya. UConn has been Attempting to do it on the ground and . . . . Wait for it . . . . No I'm mean really wait.

Reaction Score
So you think that UConn has the athletes to match up with Alabama? Florida? South Carolina? LSU? How do you think UConn's vaunted running game would fare against those SEC defenses?

I responded to your post that high powered offenses were the path to a national championship. To which I simply stated that the SEC would beg to differ.

Your reponse above had nothing at all to do with the point you originally made or my response to it. I can assume you are either deflecting from your point or are not reading the posts.

Reaction Score
UConn never even threatened to win the game. They dodged a bullet with a TD called back on a hold away from the point of attack and that helped keep the score down. Had it been 10-0 immediately it would have only been worse.

Who knows, maybe Deleone would have started passing more and it would have helped us to be down 10 early on. It seems like his play calling doesn't get inventive at all until we're down a bunch. Is there a way we can give him the wrong score up there in the booth? Let him think we start the game down 20 and maybe we'll get some decent play calling.

The poorly handled end of the first half was one of the most maddening things I've ever witnessed on a sports field. We should have had another 6 seconds on the clock. If he called a TO right after the catch, like any quasi-able brained 9 year old would have known to do, we'd have had about 25 seconds and two time outs to get a closer field goal.

Reaction Score
And for you . . . Nostalgic offense, power sweep left and power sweep right, run right at 'em, doesn't matter if they know it's coming Boys . . . Is definitely more important than winning. Yep, the old "smashmouth", man against man battle at the LOS is where its really at. Screw scoring TDs, just chew up the clock. Way more machismo than winning if you have to do it in the air.

If you're gonna misrepresent me - that I'm more interested in exciting offense than winning - then right back at ya. UConn has been Attempting to do it on the ground and . . . . Wait for it . . . . No I'm mean really wait.

Who said I thought smash mouth football was the answer. I stated in another thread that I hate the "Offensive lineman need to be nasty and mean, Big on Big blocking all the way!!!" mentality. Being a running team doesn't make you a smash mouth team. Power sweeps are not old school, as almost every successful college and pro team runs sweeps. Watch the defending BCS champs, watch the defending Super Bowl champs, they love pulling their O Lineman. They don't run spread offenses.

You seem to think that running an offense that relies predominantly on the run can't win. Even though the team we just lost to has done just that, leading to a 5-0 record. Or that the Patriots have been doing it for years. And guess what? The Pats also have a prolific qb! And so does the Giants! I am a Green Bay Packer fan, the running game is sputtering, The result 2-3.

We have two problems with this team on offense. The X's and O's, and the Jimmies and Joes. GDL often times throws out a disjointed game plan. But when he doesn't like this week, our players struggle to execute. And it's not failing to execute difficult plays. It's struggling to execute a 2 yard pass, a 10 yard play action pass, another 10 yard pass, and a screen that would have went for 50 yards.

Reaction Score
I responded to your post that high powered offenses were the path to a national championship. To which I simply stated that the SEC would beg to differ.

Your reponse above had nothing at all to do with the point you originally made or my response to it. I can assume you are either deflecting from your point or are not reading the posts.

5 of the current SEC teams average more than 34 points per game, highest BE is Cin at 34. To me you average 34 points per game and you have a high powered offense. Not saying defense isn't the defining factor, but have to be able to score, and I consider averaging 30 points or more per game as high powered (top SEC team is 13th nationally). Last year LSU had the best defense (in my opinion) but no offense compared to Alabama (even though LSU scored about the same it was like an ol' fhcRE team with lot of defensive scores, special teams and short fields making the offense scoring wise seem better than it was). Easier on Alabama defense to handle LSU offense than vis versa. So defense won last year, for the team with the better offense.

Last few years national champions and their scoring offense and defense rank and points per game

Ala. 20,1 and 34 pg
Aub 7, 53 and 41 pg
Ala 22, 2 and 32 pg
Florida 15, 4 and 37 pg

So Aub in 2010 won as offensive team, other 3 years winners were top 5 defense but also top 20 offenses (and about half of the top 20 offenses were non BCS teams). So, need dynamic offense to win, and unless you have Scam as QB need a top 5 defense; but in all cases you need to be able to put up at least 32 pts per game (at least 4 years of history suggests that).

Reaction Score
Those teams had very good offenses. Now ask Nick Saben what wins championships and I'm pretty sure he's going to say defense and a dominating OL. He's definitely not going to say throwing the ball 50 times a game. Which I'm pretty sure is TDH's point. Although, frankly, it's hard to know what his point is.........

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bruce Dickinson:cowbell
TDH : passing

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The thing that amazes me is that NC State, who we hung in there with, knocks off Fl St and we can't handle WM and struggled against Buffalo. We never make strides as the year progresses. Addazio has his guys believing - look out.

Reaction Score
The thing that amazes me is that NC State, who we hung in there with, knocks off Fl St and we can't handle WM and struggled against Buffalo. We never make strides as the year progresses. Addazio has his guys believing - look out.

We never make strides as the year progresses? We made great strides at the end of '09 and '10. Frankly, I think we played far better in the Big East portion of our schedule last year than we did in the OOC portion of our schedule.

So other than you don't think we're improving so far this year (stand in line), I'm not sure what your point is.

Reaction Score
We never make strides as the year progresses? We made great strides at the end of '09 and '10. Frankly, I think we played far better in the Big East portion of our schedule last year than we did in the OOC portion of our schedule.

So other than you don't think we're improving so far this year (stand in line), I'm not sure what your point is.
The fact that other teams begin to elevate their game as time goes on. We look the same, at least on offense. Nothing works. We still look very lost out there. Outside of 5 or 6 offensive plays we are still, at this point in season, tentative. Last year was a little better in the Big East, but Defense and ST made it happen.

Reaction Score
Those teams had very good offenses. Now ask Nick Saben what wins championships and I'm pretty sure he's going to say defense and a dominating OL. He's definitely not going to say throwing the ball 50 times a game. Which I'm pretty sure is TDH's point. Although, frankly, it's hard to know what his point is.........

Get Alabama level recruits to UConn and you can run a single wing offense for all I care. Until then the longer it takes for UConn to understand the value of a passing game (recruiting it, coaching it and committing to making it an integral part of the offense) the longer it will take them to come out of this degression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom