The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we were whopped by RU. The last team they beat us that badly -- not won but beat us up -- was when? The '06 game was more competitive then that, even though they were much better than us. We ran for over 200 yards and but for two TOs they returned for TDs might very well have won. I don't think they have beaten us that easily since we joined the Big East. Yuch.

Yesterday didn't make me speechless, but it certainly gave me less to say, and my analysis is truncated because there isn't much to say other than the D played great. A few statements. I tried to cut the staff some slack for clock mismanagement in their first year, but the display at the end of the first half was embarassing. The fact that P doesn't seem to believe it is mismanaged may be worse. The game could have been closer if not for needless turnovers in the first Q. Notr because of the coaches by the way. As much as your offense sucks (and talent, execution and schemes all suck on O), you can still win games like yesterday if you win the turnover wars. But we don't seem able to force turnovers, or protect the ball. Who knows if it things might not have been better if we weren't playing from behind all day. Finally, I am not going to be one of the guys saying the sky is falling -- I love this team and program too much to give up on even this year, much less the program -- but I will tell you that while I was sitting in front of the set with it on, I paid very little attention in the 4th Q. I just found the game unwatchable. Not just because of lack of offense -- we've played many games over the years with no offense where I was on the edge of my seat the whole time because I was watching a competitive football game (USF '05 and '10, RU in '08, WVU '10 just as a few examples) but even down just 10 I just saw zero chance that we were going to win. Winning can, for me, overcome the lack of offensive excitement. Even where we have a good chance to win but fall short, which is part of sports. But if we don't start winning games, like the next two weeks, I think this season will be totally unwatchable, even for me.

I don't know what to say about the offense. The OL has to be better than that or we're not going to beat anyone. Geremy Davis played well. Delorenzo showed some ability (but also missed the hole on one play that had a chance to be a big one). And that's about it. Personnel didn't look good. Execution didn't look good. Playcalling and overall offensive organization looks pathetic. All I can hang my hat on is that you're never as bad as you look when you lose or as good as you look when you win, and maybe against Temple it will be different.

Special teams had the huge kick block (not schematic by the way -- just a superhuman effort by Shamar), but didn't make other plays that needed to be made. Not the long FG attempt. Not missed chances to stick a punt inside the 10. Not the total lack of a return game. Not giving up the long kickoff return (which didn't kill us only because the returner didn't protect the ball). RU had some miscues, and we might have won the special teams battle overall, but we clearly will need to dominate on specials to win games. And we need Nick Williams to make plays -- not turn the ball over.

The Defense was really, really good. Contained two dumb TOs in our end of the field to FGs. Held RU to under 300 of total offense. Held them, really, to one scoring drive all day long. But, with our offense and not a single defensive turnover, we didn't have a chance.

It was very frustrating to me watching RU beat us the way we used to beat others. No explosiveness, but run the ball, control the clock, win the turnover battles, convert your scoring chances and win with D. But, as the week goes on, as poorly as we're playing, this season isn't done yet. The next four games are all winnable (all also losable but winnable), and after Temple at home and at Syracuse we finally get a week off. We need a good effort at home about Temple, and then try to get one done at the Dome (also doable). And then go from there.

And I have no more to say about the coaching than what I've said. The players need and deserve positive energy from their fans as long as they are fighting for this season. December, and time to decide the future of this staff, will be here soon enough without it being rushed.

Reaction Score
I thought the offensive gameplan was enough to win the game. Runs were varied, and there were two great play action calls (1 on first) that Griffin and TL miscommunicated on. 3rd and goal pass out of wildcat was great play call. Screen to LM when no one was with ten yards. Great call. All poorly executed.

But I completely agree on the organization, and the 1 down wildcat has alot to do with it. Either stick with it for a series or don't.

And Coach P and GDL have to be aware of their personnel's strength's and weaknesses. McCummings can run, but I would guess he is the 70th best passer on the team. Great play call, but McCummings has shown time and again he has severe problems with accuracy. Jimmy Bennet is really struggling in pass pro, as is Steve Greene. Might want to take a look at moving Masters out to tackle. And if not, we need to run more 3 step drops. Or have a tight end stay in to double team the end in pass pro on Bennet's side. Having TL run 5 step drops is pointless because he ends up throwing off his back foot 50 % of the time.

Many people have been quick to only bash the coaching. And with the clock management and precious game playcalling is fair. But this team lacks talent on offense. I hate to say it. We don't have the one gamebreaker like we always had (Todman, Brown, Brockington, Easley, Caulley). So that means we need to rely on execution and sustained drives, which this offense has proven it cannot do. At all.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Something to add about the D.
RU had a much better running back and we did a decent job holding him back. The starting Rutgers receivers are larger than the ones the Giants put on the field today. Our D-backs again did well to hold them in check. Blidi could have tackled better and Gratz missed a sure pick on their TD drive but overall they had alot to deal with and stood up pretty well.
On offense Davis is our threat, he and a poorly utilized Griffin. Smith had a good effort and we need to develop this. Delorenzo had a good first run, on his next attempt we went wildcat and McCummings gave him the ball running sidways trying to get around the right end which is something maybe N Williams should have been doing. Lousy use of player strengths again.
Temple showed some offense this week so we will need a good effort from the O to get a win. This will be a real interesting drama at the Rent this week. The team didn't quit against Rutgers even though it was obvious we were not going to score. Even on the pick 6 they didn't let them waltz in but fought trying to stop him on the one yard line. They bring the same effort this week they should have a chance to win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn never even threatened to win the game. They dodged a bullet with a TD called back on a hold away from the point of attack and that helped keep the score down. Had it been 10-0 immediately it would have only been worse.

Reaction Score
When we didn't score on the 1st and goal possession at the 3rd yard line, i knew the game was lost.

Almost all of our 1st down plays resulted in 3 yards or less, constanly putting the offense is 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

As good as our defense is, I'd rather have a good offense, look at all of the games being played, all of the top programs have the ability to outscore teams.

This 3 and out crap has to stop

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn never even threatened to win the game. They dodged a bullet with a TD called back on a hold away from the point of attack and that helped keep the score down. Had it been 10-0 immediately it would have only been worse.

Well, that's not true. We're down 6-0 on the 2 yard line with two downs to punch it in. Instead, we throw with McCummings (always a mistake, in my opinion) and we settle for the field goal. We punch it in, it's 7-6 UConn, even after the two-turnover calamity that had preceded that moment.

I think the fact that we don't try two running plays to punch it in from the 2 yard line is the saddest part of my statement. Either the coaches don't believe our team is capable of picking up those two yards, or the coaches don't like that style of thinking, and both of those statements boggle my mind...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, that's not true. We're down 6-0 on the 2 yard line with two downs to punch it in. Instead, we throw with McCummings (always a mistake, in my opinion) and we settle for the field goal. We punch it in, it's 7-6 UConn, even after the two-turnover calamity that had preceded that moment.

I think the fact that we don't try two running plays to punch it in from the 2 yard line is the saddest part of my statement. Either the coaches don't believe our team is capable of picking up those two yards, or the coaches don't like that style of thinking, and both of those statements boggle my mind...

There was never a single second in the game where even the most ardent UConn fan could think they were going to win. Oh one time they had the ball in the red zone? That's great news. That tells you everything you need to know about this team. Every single successful play on offense is celebrated.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There was never a single second in the game where even the most ardent UConn fan could think they were going to win. Oh one time they had the ball in the red zone? That's great news. That tells you everything you need to know about this team. Every single successful play on offense is celebrated.

If there was a moment in time where we were two yards away from taking the lead, then how can you say that we didn't ever have a chance to win the game?? It's a ridiculous statement, plain and simple. And that was even after we had given up two turnovers. Our defense played well enough to win the game, for sure. Our offense clearly didn't. But let's not pretend that the game wasn't still in the balance for quite a while in that game...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there was a moment in time where we were two yards away from taking the lead, then how can you say that we didn't ever have a chance to win the game?? It's a ridiculous statement, plain and simple. And that was even after we had given up two turnovers. Our defense played well enough to win the game, for sure. Our offense clearly didn't. But let's not pretend that the game wasn't still in the balance for quite a while in that game...

If you say so. I don't care to argue any longer with someone who doesn't want to deal with reality. They were drubbed by a decent Rutgers team. Drubbed. Did they threaten to take the lead? Sure. Did they threaten to win? They were never in any way shape or form in position to win that game. They had no chance to score. None. The second they got down more points than can be realistically scored on defense everyone should have gone home.

If you want to take solace in the fact that they had a chance to take a lead in the first half because Rutgers took a TD off the board enjoy it. There was not a single second of that game that was remotely enjoyable for me. I'd prefer to go get a root canal than get beat to death by Rutgers.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you say so. I don't care to argue any longer with someone who doesn't want to deal with reality. They were drubbed by a decent Rutgers team. Drubbed. Did they threaten to take the lead? Sure. Did they threaten to win? They were never in any way shape or form in position to win that game. They had no chance to score. None. The second they got down more points than can be realistically scored on defense everyone should have gone home.

If you want to take solace in the fact that they had a chance to take a lead in the first half because Rutgers took a TD off the board enjoy it. There was not a single second of that game that was remotely enjoyable for me. I'd prefer to go get a root canal than get beat to death by Rutgers.

You're ridiculous. We went into the half down 6-3. 6 to friggin' 3!!! And I don't deal in reality??

The problem is that you just love to make hyperbolic statements. I'm not sure why, but that's your thing. Statements like "There was never a single second in the game where even the most ardent UConn fan could think they were going to win." So then why the hell did you watch?!? Morbid curiosity?? Of course you believed they could win the game! And even after having missed the field goal at the end of the half, 6-3 was not that dire of a situation, especially considering the calamity that had preceded it. So give it a rest, please...

Reaction Score
I thought the offensive gameplan was enough to win the game. Runs were varied, and there were two great play action calls (1 on first) that Griffin and TL miscommunicated on. 3rd and goal pass out of wildcat was great play call. Screen to LM when no one was with ten yards. Great call. All poorly executed.

But I completely agree on the organization, and the 1 down wildcat has alot to do with it. Either stick with it for a series or don't.

And Coach P and GDL have to be aware of their personnel's strength's and weaknesses. McCummings can run, but I would guess he is the 70th best passer on the team. Great play call, but McCummings has shown time and again he has severe problems with accuracy. Jimmy Bennet is really struggling in pass pro, as is Steve Greene. Might want to take a look at moving Masters out to tackle. And if not, we need to run more 3 step drops. Or have a tight end stay in to double team the end in pass pro on Bennet's side. Having TL run 5 step drops is pointless because he ends up throwing off his back foot 50 % of the time.

Many people have been quick to only bash the coaching. And with the clock management and precious game playcalling is fair. But this team lacks talent on offense. I hate to say it. We don't have the one gamebreaker like we always had (Todman, Brown, Brockington, Easley, Caulley). So that means we need to rely on execution and sustained drives, which this offense has proven it cannot do. At all.

I agree with a lot of this. Except it's not TL, it's CW. :) The playcalling was not near as bad as people make it out to be. We called some nice tight end passes, but they were not on the same page. Not sure whose fault. I liked the McCummings TD pass attempt, knew it was coming eventually. It didn't work either.

Offensive line: Does anyone know, did we change to zone blocking or something? I'm not knowledgeable on these things, but I can see if we made some type of change in blocking philosophy maybe this would explain why we can't block anymore? Serious question. Anyone know?

Reaction Score

I know your thing is to prove you can be more negative than anyone else, but that was a perfectly competitive game when we went back into the locker room for halftime.

Reaction Score
It was competitive at times. Maybe we could have won with the help of a lucky bounce. Like when the center hiked it over Nova's head, how is that not a touch for us? Lucky bounce, that's how. Ball bounced wrong for us yesterday. They get a first down out of it. But our offense is so bad that it makes everything seem so much worse in hindsight. It's really a case of impotence (not speaking from experience, but this is what it must feel like). We are impotent on offense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we managed the clock even slightly better at the end of the first half or saved the McCummings pass for a play where he was rolling to the far side of the field, who knows what would have happened.

We were in a game where we needed to limit mistakes in order to pull out a W but unfortunately we went out of our way to make mistakes on many levels (coaching, playcalling, execution).

I will say this, while Rutty did gash us at times running the ball (and their RB had a very good game), if we had a semblance of an offense, they would not have had the luxury to stick with a running game (that was not working) as long as they had and they never would have found a rhythm (which is the major reason they were able to score any points that weren't due to a UConn turnover).

I still don't have a clue as to why we don't try to feature Ryan and Geremy in our offense. They should be targeted a least a dozen times each per game.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this. Except it's not TL, it's CW. :) The playcalling was not near as bad as people make it out to be. We called some nice tight end passes, but they were not on the same page. Not sure whose fault. I liked the McCummings TD pass attempt, knew it was coming eventually. It didn't work either.

Offensive line: Does anyone know, did we change to zone blocking or something? I'm not knowledgeable on these things, but I can see if we made some type of change in blocking philosophy maybe this would explain why we can't block anymore? Serious question. Anyone know?

Deleone favors zone blocking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know your thing is to prove you can be more negative than anyone else, but that was a perfectly competitive game when we went back into the locker room for halftime.

I'm negative when the conditions deserve negativity. I'm pretty sure the Edsall haters here would put me on the board of directors for the Apologists.

Note your own comments about the fourth quarter and tell me exactly when during this game UConn threatened to win it.

Since UConn joined FBS tell me which game Rutgers beat UConn worse than yesterday.

UConn was competitive for a half with the 30-40th best team in the country. That is the best thing you can say about yesterday.

Your first sentence says UConn was whopped by Rutgers. I find a definition online that says 'defeated decisively'.

Reaction Score
Deleone favors zone blocking.

i know this is sarcasm but the blocking is truly preposterous. in order to give whitmer any time, we need to keep a tight end and the rb home.... just to cover the defensive line. a whole corp of linebackers and backs on the two wrs and the slot makes for some easy defense.

Reaction Score
Your first sentence says UConn was whopped by Rutgers. I don't know if that is even a real word, but it hardly sounds positive.

You had me guffawing on that one. "but it hardly sounds positive." No it does not! I love your passion.

Reaction Score
i know this is sarcasm but the blocking is truly preposterous. in order to give whitmer any time, we need to keep a tight end and the rb home.... just to cover the defensive line. a whole corp of linebackers and backs on the two wrs and the slot makes for some easy defense.
What is zone blocking? Real question.

Reaction Score
If you listened to Michael Vick's post game explanation of his big fumble today, we lost to Rutgers because it was "meant to be". That could be the dumbest thing ever said.

Reaction Score
What is zone blocking? Real question.

In simple terms, zone blocking is blocking an area, not a man.

George DeLeone actually has some fantastic zone blocking videos. I do not like the scheme at the collegiate level. Tough to get players to fit the scheme. You need quick, agile lineman, and a hard one cut runner. A hole will open, in theory, you just don't know where.

Alex Gibbs ran alot of zone blocking in the pros (Shanahan's Bronco teams, with Terrel Davis ran the scheme perfectly). Right now, the Texans run a zone blocking scheme with alot of success.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

George DeLeone actually has some fantastic zone blocking videos. I do not like the scheme at the collegiate level. Tough to get players to fit the scheme. You need quick, agile lineman, and a hard one cut runner. A hole will open, in theory, you just don't know where.

Alex Gibbs ran alot of zone blocking in the pros (Shanahan's Bronco teams, with Terrel Davis ran the scheme perfectly). Right now, the Texans run a zone blocking scheme with alot of success.

It's why I preferred the old style UConn guard-pull blocking (I'm going to show off my lack of football x's and o's, here!). The running back knows exactly where he's running, and he has a lead fullback in front of him, along with the other side guard (i.e., he runs right, then the left guard pulls right). Man, we were so friggin' good at it for almost a decade, that even when the other team knew it was coming, we still ran for 5 yards a carry!! Granted, we had fullbacks like Deon Anderson and "The Shermanator", but there's no reason at all that we can't go back to it.

Sincerely,
Coach Foley
;)

Reaction Score
I am a huge fan of Coach Foley, and his schemes. It was obvious that his linemen were well coached. When they made mistakes, it was because they were beaten by superior players, not because of mental mistakes.

I love the inside trap. Love it. I hate the "Lineman are the big uglies, they have to be mean!!! Man on Man blocking!!!" mentality. That is old. Smart coaches understand it's all about angles and creating space. Moving a guy sideways is 10 X better than pushing him 1 yard off the ball. And you can make up for having less talent by having lineman down block and pull.

Reaction Score

thanks. And I'm assuming we didn't do zone blocking under RE?

Reaction Score
thanks. And I'm assuming we didn't do zone blocking under RE?

No. Pulling lineman was the bread and butter. Inside traps, sweeps, you name it. Lots of reach blocking and double teams inside. Foley every year put together solid offensive lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom