The Summers Pick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Summers Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even after deciding to go down the sideline rather than cutting it inside, it was disappointing he just ran out of bounds. At least make the qb make a tackle.

Reaction Score
We play to win the game, he should have scored. When we were winning Pick 6's played a part in it. Jamar is only a soph. and has really been transformed by the work he and Coach Balis put in during the off season. You can't miss opportunities at this level and I think he will do better next chance he gets.

Reaction Score
Are we at the place where we're criticizing a kid who makes a pick and runs it back 30 yards for not running it back to the house? Woof
I think most here mean it as constructive criticism. BLaw above had a good take as did others, it was a rookie mistake to run out of bounds like a quarter back when you have the perfect opportunity to run one over. He and the staff will use this as a teaching moment. Yes he made a good play to get the ball but also had a chance to make it a great play and possibly get....
1) A TD!
2) Recognition from your D mates.
3) Recognition from the O mates for doing something they are doing little of.
4) Recognition from the conference as D player of the week if we upset BYU. (Possible)
5) A chance on the way by the QB that threw you the ball to say thank you!
I think he was happy to have the ball and probably thinking nothing more than to get as far as he could and keep it safe. Part of the learning curve that he will get fed this week, by the staff and his peers....Defensive players are disappointed if a door is open before they go through it, he is not there yet. Still a good pick though and comfortable with him at the position.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
QB is a big guy and we are generally not that speedy. That play and the Newsome TD were the two highlights. While I did notice it, there are plenty of other things to criticize.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Looked like Mangum just took a good angle on him.
from looking at that gif, he took a good angle and kept himself under control.. when summers looked at the cutback, mangum stutter stepped and cut that off as well.

Reaction Score
Look, I wished he would have scored. Had he deaked and headed right he would have likely gone for 6, but had he tried to run over the QB and fumbled we all would have said why didn't he just go out of bounds. This is a teaching moment for him but instinct takes over. I remember a game where we had an interception in the end zone. CB could have knealt down for a touchback. Instead, he saw some open space and headed out to make a bigger play and a fumble occurred. What was the better move? For us second guessers, like with the Summers INT, it was the move that wasn't made.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Everyone watching knew he should have headed right and scored. Just another example of how/why we should have won the game. Diaco knows we left wins on the field at Mizzou and in Provo. Look for us to bury UCF next week. Who's heading down with me?
I will be there. Heading out of Boston Wed morning.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wish he would have scored too but it's tough to criticize a player after making a GREAT play to read the QB, get the INT, and run it back some 30 yards. Plays like this get magnified because of our offensive ineptitude but that was a heckuva play by Summers. BYU runs incredible tempo and I can't fault the kid for being gassed at the end of the play. Not getting in the end zone with a short field is more of an indictment on our offense than the CB who just made a terrific play to create a turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom