The Summers Pick | The Boneyard

The Summers Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if it has been mentioned out here, but on the pick by Summers the only man he had to beat was the QB and he chose to run out of bounds versus making a cut back to the middle of the field and taking it for 6. We settle for a field goal. We would have been up 14-7 and I believe the outcome is totally different. Not sure what he was thinking and why he didn't think he could get past him?

Reaction Score
I thought he was too tired maybe. Defense was out there for a lot of snaps. Other than that I got nothing.

Reaction Score
Yeah that should've been 6 and could have really turned the game around

Reaction Score
He should have done better with it. I think what happened was he just was running full speed down the sideline hoping to beat the QB to the point where they were going to intersect, and by the time he saw the QB hand the angle on him it was too late to do anything about it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He may not have been able to take it to the house around Mangum, but I wanted him to put a hit on him if he could. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Reaction Score
Had this same thought when it happened. If we had a better offense I wouldn't have mind what he did. But with our troubles on O moving the ball really wish he made a better attempt to beat the one guy left, a QB for that matter, down the field. Even if he cut back and got caught from behind by another Wide out or RB further down the field that would have at least put us in better field position. Gotta have that killer instinct.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Are we at the place where we're criticizing a kid who makes a pick and runs it back 30 yards for not running it back to the house? Woof

When a game doesn't go your way, sometimes you overanalyze every moment that coulda gone better. In the list of moments from last night that I would like to alter, this would be #637 on that list... ;)

Reaction Score
Are we at the place where we're criticizing a kid who makes a pick and runs it back 30 yards for not running it back to the house? Woof

Hmm... Not sure I would call it that. But if I am his coach and we are trying to do everything we can to win a huge road game against a historically great program, then the conversation in film study goes like this, "Jamar awesome Pick, great technique, way to undercut the route, great hands. With that said have the killer instinct bro, when you hit the 50 yard line get your eyes up, make a move and use the open space on the other side of the field to beat a guy everyone knows you are much faster than next time. But Hey awesome pick man."

It's learning. As a coach you know that just because you get a positive result doesn't mean there is nothing to get better at. The includes full games, singular plays and everything in between.

Reaction Score
When a game doesn't go your way, sometimes you overanalyze every moment that coulda gone better. In the list of moments from last night that I would like to alter, this would be #637 on that list... ;)

When it could've meant and extra 7 points for a team that has a stagnant slow paced low scoring offense I wouldn't put it nearly that far down the list.
Its just capitalizing and seizing a key moment. Taking advantage of a one on one situation with an open field for our faster guy who has all his momentum going forward, while everyone is turning and chasing is something good teams, winning teams do.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
To me it was just odd. Mangum isn't known for his wheels. Usually dbs try to do too much after a pick. He did too little. Hard to defend running out of bounds when the only player to beat is the qb.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When it could've meant and extra 7 points for a team that has a stagnant slow paced low scoring offense I wouldn't put it nearly that far down the list.
Its just capitalizing and seizing a key moment. Taking advantage of a one on one situation with an open field for our faster guy who has all his momentum going forward, while everyone is turning and chasing is something good teams, winning teams do.

The reason why I would put it down that low is because it was a pick. It is already one of the 5 or 6 best plays of the day for UConn. Obviously, #637 is an exaggeration, since there weren't that many plays. But take the number of plays and count 5 or 6 from the bottom, and that's where I'd put it. It was still a great pick. Someone queue up the UConn commercial for me now...

Reaction Score
The reason why I would put it down that low is because it was a pick. It is already one of the 5 or 6 best plays of the day for UConn. Obviously, #637 is an exaggeration, since there weren't that many plays. But take the number of plays and count 5 or 6 from the bottom, and that's where I'd put it. It was still a great pick. Someone queue up the UConn commercial for me now...

See for me its a top 5 crucial play in the game. It probably doesn't trump the Adams penalty or the first Shirreffs (I almost just wrote Whitmer) pick but outside of that its anywhere from 3-5 (Without rewatching the game to be exact). I mean If he houses it, its a totally different game. We have control, in a defensive battle. We don't need to onside kick or go for it on fourth or even force the throws that led to picks if we are controlling the game and putting pressure on their offense. Totally different game if he houses that.

Reaction Score

With that said, I mean its a small correction going from really good to perfect. At the 50 he should have cut right towards Magnum and not given him an angle to run him out. Then made a move to get to the opposite side of the field or cut hard to fake going opposite field, to slow Magnums momentum and maybe open his hips and then cut back toward sideline. Instead I agree with bizlaw I think he thought he had the edge and he was going to blow by him down the sideline.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it has been mentioned out here, but on the pick by Summers the only man he had to beat was the QB and he chose to run out of bounds versus making a cut back to the middle of the field and taking it for 6. We settle for a field goal. We would have been up 14-7 and I believe the outcome is totally different. Not sure what he was thinking and why he didn't think he could get past him?
That's why he plays DB instead of WR.....absolutely should have been a pick six.

Reaction Score
Everyone watching knew he should have headed right and scored. Just another example of how/why we should have won the game. Diaco knows we left wins on the field at Mizzou and in Provo. Look for us to bury UCF next week. Who's heading down with me?

Reaction Score
Looked like Mangum just took a good angle on him.

Reaction Score

What's wrong with constructive criticism? Summers could have cut that to the inside for sure for a pick six. The closes player to Summers and Mangum was about 10 yards, so I don't see why Summers couldn't cut that to the inside and out run Mangum for a touchdown. If that was an Ohio State, Alabama, or LSU player etc... that would of went to the house. That into was a good play by Summers, he could of tried just a little more for some points since this offense was obviously not doing anything.

Reaction Score
Yes. He could have cut back to the inside around the 45 yard line.No way the quarterback was going to reverse his momentum if he did this.Time to step up and make a complete play.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with constructive criticism? Summers could have cut that to the inside for sure for a pick six. The closes player to Summers and Mangum was about 10 yards, so I don't see why Summers couldn't cut that to the inside and out run Mangum for a touchdown. If that was an Ohio State, Alabama, or LSU player etc... that would of went to the house. That into was a good play by Summers, he could of tried just a little more for some points since this offense was obviously not doing anything.
Couldn't have said it it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline