The play you first think about by player... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The play you first think about by player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Roscoe Smith heave still makes me laugh when I think of it.
The amazing thing is that he did it twice.

Tate George fumbling the ball out of bounds against Duke instead of just smacking it down court and letting the clock run out.
If you get a chance to watch the replay, K jumped from the sideline and began signalling a travelling call (he evidently had a perfect vantage point to see the Tate was about to pull in the steal and seal the game, then hoped to influence the refs to give Duke another chance) and that distraction caused Taate to lose the ball.

Ollie letting Toby Bailey get behind him on the break over and over.
I seem to remember Ollie spending the entire game chasing Edney while Sheffer spent his time watching Bailey run down the court behind him.

Kemba splitting the double team against Texas and then launching a scoop shot....from 25 feet out and hitting it.
All I could think of then was divine intervention!

Henefeld waiting for a free throw and ignoring Mourning's anti-semitic trash talk and proving it on the floor.
IIRC, when that had no effect Zo started playing with the ear lobes of the UConn guy next to him (Burrell?) in the lane.

Robertson's Tomahawk is still one of the best dunk's I have ever seen.
He had a few. My favorite was over Lonnie Baxter in the 2002 regional finals, where I believe he kneed Lonnie in the nuts.

Saunders stuffing Elton Brand in the Championship game, getting called for the foul despite getting all ball, and staring down Brand who couldn't even look at Saunders because both players knew Saunders got all ball.
One of many beautiful memories from that game!

Denham's 3 in Maui.
Okafor scooping a loose ball up off the floor and putting it in with about 2 minutes left to keep us in the game against Duke in 2004.
Best part of that game was K screaming at the officials after (I believe Horvath, possibly Randolph) fouled out and K realized the game was lost. He was basically saying "you're supposed to give us the game with the calls if it is close".

Freeman fighting through the taller Gonzaga frontcourt in 1999. It felt like he got blocked 5 times in that game, but the boxscore only had 2 I believe.
That game was the only time during that season when I thought there was a chance we wouldn't win it all. It took the entire game to shake that team.

Reaction Score
So many good ones here, so I'll try to come up with a few by players not mentioned.

King- Putback dunk against Georgetown in the '96 Big East Final

Voskuhl- 1999 NC game where he had a giant block on Brand (I think Brand was sorta stumbling) that sent Billy Packer into a tizzy

Wiggins- Dunk against ND in 2007-08 (I think the play started with a Gavin Edwards block)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel- Rebound vs. Pitt
Gavin Edwards- Forget which game, but he tried to throw down a reverse ally-oop that would've brought the house down
Stanley Robinson- "SIXTEEN BIG EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS"
Scottie Haralson- Always jacking a three in the last 30 seconds of a game
Funny about Edwards. His most memorable play is a non play. For a guy here four years he had about the most forgettable career imaginable.

Reaction Score
Funny about Edwards. His most memorable play is a non play. For a guy here four years he had about the most forgettable career imaginable.
Yep, for me it was either that play or the missed three against Kentucky in MSG. I remember after he graduated, Calhoun had said he regretted not redshirting Edwards, which was one of the reasons he decided to redshirt Michael Bradley. Had Edwards been a redshirt, he would've been a senior on the 2011 team. I wonder how he would have fit in.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Yep, for me it was either that play or the missed three against Kentucky in MSG. I remember after he graduated, Calhoun had said he regretted not redshirting Edwards, which was one of the reasons he decided to redshirt Michael Bradley. Had Edwards been a redshirt, he would've been a senior on the 2011 team. I wonder how he would have fit in.
Could've gone with the missed layup against Va. Tech that put the 2010 season out of its misery, too.

Reaction Score

Why was Edwards career forgettable? That's an ignorant statement……the kid was a nobody coming out of HS and improved into a good basketball player at UConn….. anyone thinking otherwise is not very bright or he banged their chick!

Last edited:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Why was Edwards career forgettable? That's an ignorant statement……the kid was a nobody coming out of HS and improved into a good basketball player at UConn….. anyone thinking otherwise is not very bright or he banged their chick!
Oh give it a rest.

Reaction Score
Oh give it a rest.

Give what a rest? What's your issue with Gavin Edwards to actually say he had a "forgettable career"? You can't make a statement like that about an ex-Husky being a Husky fan without having some reason. Ridiculous statement……..

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Give what a rest? What's your issue with Gavin Edwards to actually say he had a "forgettable career"? You can't make a statement like that about an ex-Husky being a Husky fan without having some reason. Ridiculous statement……..
You know there's no prize for being dumbest Boneyard poster, right? It's a purely ceremonial title?

Reaction Score
You know there's no prize for being dumbest Boneyard poster, right? It's a purely ceremonial title?

You mean I can't come pick that trophy up from your house if I happen to suddenly lose my mind? Wow that sucks….

By the way solid answer on gavin……nice follow up

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
You mean I can't come pick that trophy up from your house if I happen to suddenly lose my mind? Wow that sucks….

By the way solid answer on gavin……nice follow up
Among four-year players at UConn, Edwards did not leave much of a mark on the program, even compared to marginal contributors like Beverly. I can think of more memorable plays from Eric Hayward.
Why you're acting like acknowledging this is akin to insulting your family is your own issue.

Reaction Score
Among four-year players at UConn, Edwards did not leave much of a mark on the program, even compared to marginal contributors like Beverly. I can think of more memorable plays from Eric Hayward.
Why you're acting like acknowledging this is akin to insulting your family is your own issue.

I am not I was asking why his career would be forgettable by any Husky fan unless they're expectations were something other than what they should have been. His contributions were solid off the bench by year 3 and he was a nice player by year 4. Most fans tend to gravitate and root for those types but that's just me…….again "forgettable" is not accurate but maybe you were exaggerating I don't know…….

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I am not I was asking why his career would be forgettable by any Husky fan unless they're expectations were something other than what they should have been. His contributions were solid off the bench by year 3 and he was a nice player by year 4. Most fans tend to gravitate and root for those types but that's just me…….again "forgettable" is not accurate but maybe you were exaggerating I don't know…….

Gavin was right there with Hilton as one of the most improved players from Year 1 to Year 4 in the program. I'm ashamed to admit it but the first thing I think of with Gavin was getting yanked with Dyson and Stanley for playing without effort at the end of that lost season. That's probably the reason right there, by the time Gavin was contributing at his highest point, the team was a low.

Reaction Score
Edwards had grown into a good player by year four, with a solid post game. He averaged 11 and 7 on 59% from the field and 78% from the line. He also blocked two shots a game, which surprised me. It's weird, nobody seems to mention him when the 2010 team is brought up - Stanley and Dyson are always the primary culprits, and then people remember Kemba not quite being there yet. I thought Edwards was actually one of the few guys on that team who met our expectations for that season.

Was Edwards one of the guys that hurt us with the APR? If so, that will unfortunately be his legacy here.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Edwards was 6 credits shy of graduating. For whatever reason I have a mental block against remembering how it affects the APR when a guy comes back and finishes his degree, but I have to imagine Edwards will do that if he hasn't already, considering that's just 2 classes. Mandeldove is only 3 classes away, according to the CNN interview.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When I think of Kemba, his steal and dunk against Peyton Siva in the 2011 BET final is what I think of. It was such an impressive play, I jumped out of my chair at the bar.

Reaction Score
Walker step back against Pitt in the Big East Tourney just gives me goosebumps. Same with Hamilton against Washington. Very insignificant at the time but with Thabeet for me it had to be a dunk against Cincinnati during maybe his freshman or sophomore year. I was at the game and it was crazy. Tate George will always be "The Shot." Lamb's lay-up against Louisville was great. Also remember in that Louisville game Kemba stealing it from Peyton Siva, looking back at him on his way down the court, and throwing down hard. Price staring down the Marquette guy before draining the shot. Robinson Texas alley-oop. Allen staying in the air forever against G'town. God I love UConn basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom