The play you first think about by player... | The Boneyard

The play you first think about by player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Many years down the line, when I remember who Bazz was as a player, I don't think I'll think of Kentucky free throws or the Florida game winner or the Arizona pick pocket. I think the first play that will come to my mind is last night. Up 30 on houston, crashing the boards behind Kromah's drive, finishing the putback and sprinting to Krome in 1 motion, lifting him off the floor and sprinting back on defense.

It got me thinking though, what's the first play that comes to your mind when you think of the player.

Here's a few to get us started.

El - Amin: The Runner against Pitt and subsequent jump to the scorers table
Tony Rob: The BC Baseline Tomahawk
Thabeet: Unfortunately the first play that came to my mind when I though to of him was the Dujan Blair WWF Toss LOL.
Austrie: The USF Game winner spider man pose.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Adrien: O-Rebound and put-back lay-up and 1 at Notre Dame. He smacked his chest twice after.
Selvie: His powerful dunk vs. Pitt at the Garden in 02.
Rashad: 3 vs Washington.
Villanueva: Poster dunk vs. BC
Henefeld: Game winner vs. PC

Reaction Score
Bazz: Steal leading to lay up and one against Kentuck his frosh year in Maui. Just the intensity going against Doron Lamb was what sold me on him. He had something to prove that game.
KEA: Has to be him falling to the floor getting the ball up the court to Hamilton in the Champ game.
Butler: Half court behind the back pass to TROB at Prov. On the money.
Thabeet: Leapfrogging the defender in the Pardise Jam off the alley oop.
Dyson was called for the charge on the Tomahawk dunk against Garnder Web in the Garden, the next game against Memphis he did it again to Joey Dorsey but no foul was called.
Sticks: Put back against G-Town
Okafor: Block against Alabama where he put the ball right back in the kid's hands as he was falling out of bounds

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Sticks... TO THE RAFTERS:

One of his many impressive dunks but I remember him for this one.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Okafor: Block against Alabama where he put the ball right back in the kid's hands as he was falling out of bounds

That's my Ok play too. He blocked it with his off hand. Embid did something similar against Iowa St. this week.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Migs said:
Bazz: Steal leading to lay up and one against Kentuck his frosh year in Maui. Just the intensity going against Doron Lamb was what sold me on him. He had something to prove that game. KEA: Has to be him falling to the floor getting the ball up the court to Hamilton in the Champ game. Butler: Half court behind the back pass to TROB at Prov. On the money. Thabeet: Leapfrogging the defender in the Pardise Jam off the alley oop. Dyson was called for the charge on the Tomahawk dunk against Garnder Web in the Garden, the next game against Memphis he did it again to Joey Dorsey but no foul was called. Sticks: Put back against G-Town Okafor: Block against Alabama where he put the ball right back in the kid's hands as he was falling out of bounds

I believe the kea play was in FF vs. Ohio state

Reaction Score
Whenever I think of Ray Allen, I remember a corner three ball late against St. John's when were protecting a lead. Just a normal play in a regular season game.

End of the game, running down the shot clock, finding Ray in the corner and him splashing a three.

So natural, so effortless, making the three look like a lay up, I remember thinking this guy is unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Taliek: 35-footer to sink Pitt in the 2002 BET
Kemba: Ankle-breaking step-back jumper to sink Pitt in the 2011 BET and ignite our 5-in-5 and 11 in a row run
Denham: Missed 3 that would have sent us to the FF in 2006

Ray: Off-balance, changed-his-mind runner against Georgetown in the 1996 BET

AJ: ONIONS 3 to tie it up against Gonzaga in 2008-09

Lamb: Snatching the ball out of the air against SDSU and getting rewarded by Bazz with a game-sealing dunk in 2011

Sticks: Offensive board/slam against MSU, followed by failing to get back on D and allowing the game-sealing bucket in 2009

Reaction Score
Taliek- the three against Pitt in the Big East finals
Denham the fall away in Maui
Donyell- 360 degree dunk....
Butler- also the three from the top of the key against St. Johns that gave us "the winner winner chicken dinner" line.....

Reaction Score
Thabeet getting thrown over Blair's shoulder
Kemba broken ankle step back against Pitt's McGee. Thought his ankles were seriously broken.
Napiers game winner against Florida
Roscoe Smith's full court heave against Texas with like 5 seconds to go. ( That is hilarious)

Reaction Score
Shamon Tooles' inbound pass to Miami's Darius Rice!
And of course Roscoe's full court shot attempt against Texas with 10 seconds left

Others that were more positive:
A.J. Price - 3 pointer against the Zags to send it into overtime in Seattle
Taliek - Long 3 pointer at the end of the shot clock in Big East championship game vs. Pitt
Emeka - Last free throw against Duke to seal the game
Denham - Game winning shot against Gonzaga in Maui
Kemba - Other than the game winning shot against Pitt, it would have to be the pass to himself off the backboard against Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I loved the Lamb steal out of mid air but his absolute monster jam versus the cupcake Columbia was incredible. He was leaning top heavy over the rim. Poster of posterizing. You cannot deny this is one of the best UConn dunks ever. Just sick air with emphatic finish.
BTW... Great thread Oka!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You guys hit so many of my moments. Some of them aren't specific in my mind, but more general.

Sheffer: throwing a perfect outlet pass off an inbound or rebound for a layup. We've never had anyone so good at making that pass.
Marcus Williams: the unreal passes. So many defy belief.
KEA: The Pitt shot.
Rip: The Washington Shot
Ray: The running shot against Georgetown
Rashad: Sending the Washington game to OT.
Okafor: The obvious one is stealing the rebound and putting it back against Duke...but I always think of him blocking Villanova's attempt to dunk the game winner in.
Taliek: The three against Pitt.
Jeremy: His steal to seal the game against SDSU
Shabazz: Florida winner
Kemba: Pitt winner
Ricky: stopping Langdon
AJP: breaking ankles against Marquette

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Roscoe Smith heave still makes me laugh when I think of it.
Tate George fumbling the ball out of bounds against Duke instead of just smacking it down court and letting the clock run out.
Ollie letting Toby Bailey get behind him on the break over and over.

Kemba splitting the double team against Texas and then launching a scoop shot....from 25 feet out and hitting it.
Henefeld waiting for a free throw and ignoring Mourning's anti-semitic trash talk and proving it on the floor.
Robertson's Tomahawk is still one of the best dunk's I have ever seen.
Saunders stuffing Elton Brand in the Championship game, getting called for the foul despite getting all ball, and staring down Brand who couldn't even look at Saunders because both players knew Saunders got all ball.
Denham's 3 in Maui.
Okafor scooping a loose ball up off the floor and putting it in with about 2 minutes left to keep us in the game against Duke in 2004.
Freeman fighting through the taller Gonzaga frontcourt in 1999. It felt like he got blocked 5 times in that game, but the boxscore only had 2 I believe.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
23 posts and no one has mentioned "The Shot"? Poor Scotty. Tate's recent troubles must be tarnishing that memory.

When I think of Rashad the first thing that comes to mind for me is the closing foul shots vs. Duke. He was born to take those shots.

And how about Souleymane Wane stripping Elton Brand and putting it right in? That's when I knew we were going to win that game.

KEA's jumper in the lane over Brand in the closing moments is also iconic for me.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
not mentioned so far:

Rudy's one handed oop finish against St. Johns (I think).

Souley's strip and finish on Elton Brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom