The Official Punch Them In The Toof Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Back to basics. If you don't calm down and hit your free throws
- you lose.
For all of the turnovers and lousy shooting if they made their free throws they are down one possession at end of game.

Reaction Score
This sucks but we are a good team. We have so many talented players including Facey which is awesome.

Bright future for us this year
Yeah the shots just refused to fall from deep tonight. We were actually 24-44 from inside 3 but then of course also shot 50% from the line. Also, turnovers.

Reaction Score
Once we got on a court where rims aren't tighter than a ... Oh never mind....I'm sure our shooting will improve.

Reaction Score
Classless team
West Virginia should be embarrassed. Then again, their fans once told Hilton Armstrong to go back to Africa, so, they probably won't bat their eyes at the way their players had no class.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that Boat is really leading this team but he needs to keep his emotions in check. You never saw Kemba or Napier sweat and that helped them be clutch when they needed to be. He'll learn and I'm sure he just wants so badly to be successful that he forgot himself a bit tonight.

He's the guy now, he needs to keep himself a bit calmer.

Reaction Score
Once we got on a court where rims aren't tighter than a ... Oh never mind....I'm sure our shooting will improve.
Lots of looks, and once it was clear they wouldn't fall for us tonight, the driving lanes closed up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
BoatShow said:

Didn't hamper WV. They were draining everything.

Reaction Score
BleedHuskyBlu said:
Classless team

Yeah - tough to complain about it without sounding like a sore loser. But you can tell they've never won anything of consequence. I'm not sure if we were necessarily perfect etiquette-wise when we beat Kentucky in Maui (which would be a comparable win).

And they beat us without Lubin, so, hey, it deserves an asterisk.

We need to get Purvis back to normal and able to not injure himself on a dunk, Hamilton a little more seasoned and we'll be fine. Boat had to do too much.

Reaction Score
Yeah - tough to complain about it without sounding like a sore loser. But you can tell they've never won anything of consequence. I'm not sure if we were necessarily perfect etiquette-wise when we beat Kentucky in Maui (which would be a comparable win).

And they beat us without Lubin, so, hey, it deserves an asterisk.

We need to get Purvis back to normal and able to not injure himself on a dunk, Hamilton a little more seasoned and we'll be fine. Boat had to do too much.
All the jawing at Boat all game long and going for the Dunk at the end when they can run out the clock. Havent seen a team do that in recent memory.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen us shoot this bad since Louisville
I truly believe these types of games are the only ones we have not figured out how to play yet. We need to figure out how to win these slugfests because we will see this style of play all year. There are only a handful of teams better than us collectively based on talent.

Reaction Score
Let's look at this game as a learning tool for the team. The second 3 point shooter besides DHam is who? Maybe it's Cassell, but more concerned about Purvis and his health for Texas game.

Reaction Score
A few observations:

- Would have loved the W, which would have helped our ranking.
- The game definitely had the feel and intensity of a Classic Big East Game.
- Being down 2-3 possessions after a God awful amount of TO's, the inability to score from the outside, being shorthanded (including Purvis' injury), and only average FT shooting, is at least, encouraging. They hustled. I see all of the above improving.
- Huggins game plan was effective. In a perverse way, he did KO a favor to expose these young guys to the level of intensity that is going to be served up in coming months and into March. I have faith Ollie will make adjustments.
- Facey gained a little more confidence in his O game.
- Hamilton made some freshman mistakes, but he is still really talented.
- Huggins can make any shirt look like Nana's housecoat
- Greyhound buses must run to Puerto Rico, how else do you explain the WVU fans.

OK the last two were more digs than observations.

Reaction Score
Classless team

I didn't like it either... But how is all that different from Phil dunking at the end of the Mich St. game? Or (just b/c I just rewatched the game) Lymon Depriest dunking at the end of the Syracuse game in 89-90 up 9?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hate that they lost but that is a good team, and we struggled against their full court pressure. Much of the second half was some excellent basketball. We are not yet a great team but we are on our way.
Facey really stood out to me. And of course our fearless leader, Boat.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
I didn't like it either... But how is all that different from Phil dunking at the end of the Mich St. game? Or (just b/c I just rewatched the game) Lymon Depriest dunking at the end of the Syracuse game in 89-90 up 9?

I'm not one to get terribly bent out of shape when kids get excited and forget etiquette rules, but the Phil dunk isn't even close to the same thing. Phil dunked when we were up 5 to push it up to 7 with around 15 seconds left. We actually still could have lost if we don't convert on that possession.

The etiquette rules have also evolved somewhat over time. I actually think that when I was younger (around Lyman's time) that people celebrated with dunks all the time when they had a chance in the closing seconds. Somewhere along the line someone had a conniption about it being classless and now the etiquette is to pull it back out. But WV dunked with about 20 seconds left off an offensive rebound, and maybe just got excited about the chance for a "cherry on top of the sundae" and dunked without knowing the shot clock was off. I was mildly miffed at first, but I got over it quick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We really need a three point threat to take the heat off Boat. Hamilton is going to draw more an more attention, but we could use another Giffey.

Reaction Score
I'm not one to get terribly bent out of shape when kids get excited and forget etiquette rules, but the Phil dunk isn't even close to the same thing. Phil dunked when we were up 5 to push it up to 7 with around 15 seconds left. We actually still could have lost if we don't convert on that possession.
Not to mention, we can understand some excitement on closing out a game to get to the Final Four over a team who was universally favored.

Reaction Score
WV is a quality tournament team so how we play in the second half is still valuable to us vs cupcakes. Everything went in for them and we gave them plenty. They have depth but a lot of fouls.
They were stronger physically and out hustled UConn. Lazy passes, lackadaisical play and poor shooting overall doomed UConn tonight.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, we can understand some excitement on closing out a game to get to the Final Four over a team who was universally favored.

Maybe a bad example... But had he missed that dunk (which was possible since he didn't give the ball up), every single one of us would have had a fit about how it wasn't needed with 20 seconds left. But as much as I didn't like WVUs dunk, I certainly would not have had any issue if the situation was reversed. I guess the answer is don't put yourself in the position to get embarrassed at the end. Tom Moore admitted that JC used to leave players in late to pad their stats, too. We never had an issue with that.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
Maybe a bad example... But had he missed that dunk (which was possible since he didn't give the ball up), every single one of us would have had a fit about how it wasn't needed with 20 seconds left. But as much as I didn't like WVUs dunk, I certainly would not have had any issue if the situation was reversed. I guess the answer is don't put yourself in the position to get embarrassed at the end. Tom Moore admitted that JC used to leave players in late to pad their stats, too. We never had an issue with that.

He should have hit the ball ahead to Giffey and gotten the gimme two that way, but I'd rather go get the bucket there than dribble back out and have to make foul shots, when going 1-2 still leaves the door open a crack. The two points made it three possessions. If he blew a dunk, I'd have had a fit about blowing the dunk, but not the decision to try to score.

If you're ever in that situation up one with less than three seconds left and nobody near you, you shouldn't score because it stops the clock and gives the other team a chance at a tying three, but that takes a really heady player (sort of like the football player who didn't score a TD up one and kneeled down on the one, allowing his team to run out the clock - which drove Vegas and fantasy football people nuts). Forget who that was.

Reaction Score
He should have hit the ball ahead to Giffey and gotten the gimme two that way, but I'd rather go get the bucket there than dribble back out and have to make foul shots, when going 1-2 still leaves the door open a crack. The two points made it three possessions. If he blew a dunk, I'd have had a fit about blowing the dunk, but not the decision to try to score.

If you're ever in that situation up one with less than three seconds left and nobody near you, you shouldn't score because it stops the clock and gives the other team a chance at a tying three, but that takes a really heady player (sort of like the football player who didn't score a TD up one and kneeled down on the one, allowing his team to run out the clock - which drove Vegas and fantasy football people nuts). Forget who that was.

You're not wrong on any account. Just don't think it's right to say WVU was classless when we've done it before and it was lauded. It happens. I would have loved to have seen Amida put him on his , too. That could have been construed as classless too.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
You're not wrong on any account. Just don't think it's right to say WVU was classless when we've done it before and it was lauded. It happens. I would have loved to have seen Amida put him on his a , too. That could have been construed as classless too.

Yeah - and as I said it was a few seconds after an offensive rebound and the guy might not have even known the shot clock was off. Or at least he could have plausible deniability. It was early enough and the possession was unsettled enough that it's really not a huge deal. There are various degrees of etiquette violations, and that one was pretty low on the scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom