THe Official Make a Spartan Start Shartin' Game Thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

THe Official Make a Spartan Start Shartin' Game Thread

Reaction Score
Four of our best players at 6"2 and unde
Exactly this. MSU got open looks in the half court, we didn't. We need more dynamic, less predictable, less up-against-the-shot-clock offense.
pass to who? They can't get any offense throwing the ball to the post at this time. Four of best players are 6"2 and under. They had a hard time penetrating the defense against premium athletes and when they did they they had big tall trees to shoot over.

Reaction Score
I mean guys we could have trotted a lot of bigs out there. We’d have still lost.

Reaction Score
50 of 57 points came from three players. 8 total assists in two games. Say all you want about MSU being great, but this program is failing to run offense, and that needs to change or Ollie will eventually be gone. You can’t coach at this level and not teach fundamentals.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
They were down 5 with the ball and 10 minutes left. After that the simply couldn't get a stop.
And couldn't knock shots down or crash the offensive boards. That's the game in a nutshell.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here's the ultimate question: Do you believe that Carlton will play the same way in March that he's playing in November of his first ever collegiate year?

If your answer is "yes", you'll have a certain outlook from this game. My answer is "no"...

Reaction Score
We tried to give the ball to a big n he walked both times so they can’t be mad at a guard happy offense n that’s what we have, so until we get those quality Bigs, it is what it is ...
Why is he dribbling? Where is the pass back to the perimeter? Every pass to the post resulted in a turnover with no attempt to continue the possession for a better shot with ball movement. Absolute coaching failure. What are the other four players doing when he catches in the post? This needs to be taught. force them to play real offense. Enough of the one on one BS.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
We just lost to the 4th ranked team in the nation and, because we're UConn we thought we had a shot. And really, we did have a shot. Albeit somewhat of a long one, but there was a chance we could win with team of nearly all new players. Let that sink in guys. There is lots of reason for optimism here.

Reaction Score
It really was. We could've used Cobb tonight, but still.

Fun fact; all of our bigs tonight (Carlton, DO, Williams, Whaley, and Polley) combined for 2 points and 6 boards. True story...
This is a problem with the bigs. But at some point somebody has to pass the ball to them to give them a chance.

Reaction Score
Why? Is Arkansas special? What does playing Arkansas have to do with losing to a top 5 team in the country who is clearly better?

...because if we lose to Arkansas we won't have gone 2-1 on the trip...?

Reaction Score
This was the toughest game they’ll play all yr and they competed. Beat Arkansas on Sunday and I’m thrilled to head back to storrs 5-1

Arkansas or Oklahoma?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is a problem with the bigs. But at some point somebody has to pass the ball to them to give them a chance.

Dude, they went to him early and he had two quick turnovers. It wasn't because they didn't try to go inside...

Reaction Score
50 of 57 points came from three players. 8 total assists in two games. Say all you want about MSU being great, but this program is failing to run offense, and that needs to change or Ollie will eventually be gone. You can’t coach at this level and not teach fundamentals.
I don't think you were saying this in 2014. Ollie outclass and out coached Izzo, Callimarie....
I will agree with you if Ollie had better talent and he wasn't using them wisely.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a good old-fashioned blowout. We were competitive right through the first few minutes of the second half and then it got away from us. If Winston doesn't hit every shot he throws up there's no way it's a 20 point loss.
Speculating Winston’s game doesn’t change the reality of what he did, or the outcome. He did hit all those shots and we didn’t play/ coach well enough to contain him. Regardless that they stayed in it for the first half, MSU dominated the 2nd and a 22-point loss is definetly a blowout. We lost to a better team tonight, bigly.

Reaction Score
Hell...I would consider 28-27 deficit at halftime a win of sorts. Hoping against hope that we could pull it off, but we didn't..end of story. On to Arkansas.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No d00d KO can't coach because he couldn't stop Winston from making contested double pump layups

What was their 3 point % in 2nd half ? Seemed like 100.

When you have a team that is so comfortable around the rim also stepping out and not missing 3’s you tip your cap and say wow.

Reaction Score
I don't think you were saying this in 2014. Ollie outclass and out coached Izzo, Callimarie....
I will agree with you if Ollie had better talent and he wasn't using them wisely.
He also had a core of guys that had been together and learned under Calhoun’s initial guidance. Since KO has taken over with all of his own players, we’ve seen a lot of this same type of play.

Reaction Score
Jeez

It's an outcome that shouldn't be shocking to anyone. That's a great team.

The only big man for uconn with even a modicum of experience against higher level competition, didnt play.

If it's the same team in March, feel free to complain.
Doubt it will be. Injuries aside, there is talent and upside

Reaction Score
Meh to hell with hoops.

My mother in law who is 60 with wild
Alzheimer’s made it 2/2 in 2am appearances.

Midnight MIMI what’s up.
Heard there was something going on
MIMI UConn just lost to MSU but I’m slamming beers and eating ritz crackers.
Oh ok I’m tired but crackers are great.
What?
I like crackers
MiMi chill they’re mine.
Give me some and show me to bed

First time I’ve dialogued with her in four years. She’s wandering and eating crackers. I’ll totally take her to bed in like five
Minutes.

They say Alzheimer’s is the worst but tonight it’s totally the best.

Reaction Score

I’m not typically an ollie doubter. But 2014 was Shabazz’s team, and they ran offense with players who were also coached by Calhoun for the most part. The new staff does not seem to have a sound strategy for teaching appropriate offensive sets at the college level. This is not an MSU problem, it’s a problem that we have had for several years, that will expose us against every great team. Which means no big wins.

Reaction Score
What was their 3 point % in 2nd half ? Seemed like 100.

When you have a team that is so comfortable around the rim also stepping out and not missing 3’s you tip your cap and say wow.

I still want to go on the record and say it's KO's fault that Winston drilled a 3 from 25 feet with his own guy (Jackson?) setting a screen/facing up on him.

Reaction Score
Look, coach Calhoun's last season we weren't able to reel in much talent because of his health, KO first season he was giving a 6 months contract. No players will commit to that. We are still paying the price for that. We're heading in the right direction... be patient.

Reaction Score
this team contains 2 players from last year..the rest are puzzle pieces that have to learn each others moves before we can really compete with the best. Come March lets see if we feel the same about this particular game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom