The Importance of Finishing Strong. Take Care of Business Against Sacred Heart and UMESS. What Say You? | The Boneyard

The Importance of Finishing Strong. Take Care of Business Against Sacred Heart and UMESS. What Say You?

Reaction Score
The difference between 1-11 to 3-9 or even 2-10 is significant if only for setting a positive mindset for 2024. Everyone (coaches, players, admins, fans, recruits - both high school and portal) needs something to latch onto heading into a long NE winter. It's imperative to blow out Sacred Heart and take down UMESS if only for our collective sanities. We need a laugher although long term forecast calls for rain on Saturday - could be under 5000 in the stadium. (I can't convince my fellow mid-70's graduates to even sniff a thought of attending - they'll be huddled up under blankets at home tuning in on the TV). Yes, the attention has been turned to hoops (rightfully so). W's are critical in these two games. Wondering what everyone is thinking as we approach the final two weeks of a trying season. What Say You?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Finishing strong with thos group equals polishing a turd.

Every game, every possession, every play has shown this is a staff and roster full of players over their heads.

There is nothing to be gleaned or gained from anything over next two games.

I just hope the players stay healthy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Every game, every possession, every play has shown this is a staff and roster full of players over their heads.

Winning out is a useful narrative. 3–9 is better than 1–11. It feels like less of a regression.

The notion that we whiffed in the portal in the last off-season is a troubling one. It makes me wonder what has changed so that it doesn't happen again.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I disagree. Finishing with a solid win over SHU to show we can dominate FCS teams would be a good start. Beating UMass, even if close, shows we still have a leg up on a fellow garbage team.

These two games are very important heading into next season. You wanna finish on a winning note. These past two games were ugly. UT not a shock, but JMU should have at least been a little closer. We need to finish with better performances.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Winning out is a useful narrative. 3–9 is better than 1–11. It feels like less of a regression.

The notion that we whiffed in the portal in the last off-season is a troubling one. It makes me wonder what has changed so that it doesn't happen again.
It is a regression to finish 3-9 but it is important for momentum going into next year.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t care less at this point as a fan. The wins are inconsequential garbage. I do care for the players. Winning a game always helps take the pain out of a crappy season and these guys certainly battled.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I couldn’t care less at this point as a fan. The wins are inconsequential garbage. I do care for the players. Winning a game always helps take the pain out of a crappy season and these guys certainly battled.
I care because 3-9 is way better than 1-11. 3-9 is bad; 1-11 is a laughingstock.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would rather finish 3-9 than 1-11. Make sure to like, comment, and subscribe for more hard-hitting takes like this.
Lol, it was in response to a post that said it doesn't matter how we finish. I get that sentiment, because the season sucked, but I disagree with it.

I don't set the topics on The Boneyard, I just comment on them.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Reaction Score

Pretty much.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only tangible difference in record (winning both remaining games) would be avoiding another double digit loss season.

The outcomes of these games (at least in my eyes) aren't as important as what we may be able to see from some kids who we've been redshirting. Under current rules they can play in these games and not burn their redshirt.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not the kind of fan who believes beating SHU and UMass has any difference on the work needed to be done to get back to respectability.

1-11 or 3-9 makes no difference. Nobody is coming to UConn because they beat UMass and SHU.
Perhaps, but it's another argument against us if we lose them.

Reaction Score
We should have more than one win - we've been close in several games. We just always make losing plays when it matters. The blowouts were to good teams.

As much as this season has been a stinker, this team should have enough to beat SHU and UMass if we play competent football.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Winning cures a lot of ailments. True, we had a bad season. However, two wins, particularly if we look dominant, will be a spark of hope in the long dark offseason.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not that there are many positives this year, but losing to SHU would pretty much negate any that exist. It would all bur assure UConn is #133 of 133.

I think Taisun is a horrible QB. I was surprised to see Ta'Quan ranks below him on QBR lists, mostly because of the latters inability/reluctance to run.

Reaction Score
I'm not the kind of fan who believes beating SHU and UMass has any difference on the work needed to be done to get back to respectability.

1-11 or 3-9 makes no difference. Nobody is coming to UConn because they beat UMass and SHU.
Except maybe recruits who otherwise would have selected UMass or SHU.

Reaction Score
The difference between 1-11 to 3-9 or even 2-10 is significant if only for setting a positive mindset for 2024. Everyone (coaches, players, admins, fans, recruits - both high school and portal) needs something to latch onto heading into a long NE winter. It's imperative to blow out Sacred Heart and take down UMESS if only for our collective sanities. We need a laugher although long term forecast calls for rain on Saturday - could be under 5000 in the stadium. (I can't convince my fellow mid-70's graduates to even sniff a thought of attending - they'll be huddled up under blankets at home tuning in on the TV). Yes, the attention has been turned to hoops (rightfully so). W's are critical in these two games. Wondering what everyone is thinking as we approach the final two weeks of a trying season. What Say You?
These are must wins. If we can't beat these two teams it doesn't matter that "we were hours away from joining thr Big 12."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between winning 3 and talking about a few key moments going the other way and the embarrassment of going 1-11, losing your last two to SH and UMass because your team quit and your program doesn't care about success.

Reaction Score
In spite of the way this season has gone, i'm looking forward to another trip to the Rent to finally see the team get a win at home. As poorly as we've played at times, we should easily handle SH, a bad FCS squad. That should give us a much needed boost heading up to Amherst the following week.

UMass will come at us with everything they have, which isn't much, but it could be more than enough if we play as poorly as we have at times. We played a very uninspired game up there in 2021, whereas their team seemed jacked to get the win, which they did. Let's hope our guys play to the best of their ability and take out a season of frustration on the Minutemen.

We desperately need to win both these games and I say we will.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom