The future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The future

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The big question is how much money will they give us. IMO if it‘s more the the BE we take it.
In the number two sport we are the number one brand. Let that sink in.

I believed that before the op in this thread. I doubt the poster is trolling us. It’s a weird post at this moment. It’s so over the top given the salient situation in front of us. That we are fighting Utah for the last spot.

I’m choosing to take it as confirmation with what GoKU has been telling us all along. That we are Yormack’s desirable property. And now we know we are the media’s as well.

Reaction Score
Yes, but the prospective investor(s) in the UConn brand have to agree on the potential value and fit for their brand, regardless of our position from a media/financial perspective. Maybe BL can comment on this but, in my experience, cultural fit is as important as any other factor in making a M&A play actually work as expected long term.

Not saying UConn isn't a good fit, just trying to look at it from what could be the perspective of some key B12 decision makers vs. what they perceive as alternatives. I, for one, hope we get the invite for all the obvious reasons, media/financial value being one of them.
Yes, as a general matter cultural fit is important in integrating acquired businesses into a platform, but I think conference membership is somewhat different as universities don’t integrate in any way when they join a conference. You just hope that their goals are aligned enough that the conference can be administered in a way that is generally good for all, or at least almost all, of its members.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still don't understand how these other conferences can't see the potential for all their successful graduates in the nyc metro area to see their team.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
tea leaves.jpg

Boneyard^^^^

This is getting silly.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand how these other conferences can't see the potential for all their successful graduates in the nyc metro area to see their team.
They don't care about NYC. They see it as a crime ridden hell hole that everyone is fleeing for the south. The world does not revolve around northeastern things and they are making that quite clear by their continual snubbing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you ever saw the movie Moneyball you would have seen the incredible resistance a number of people who worked in baseball for the bulk of their adult lives had towards a new way of thinking and measuring results.

One thing we are fighting is that many of the decision makers and most of the pundits are resistant to what is a new way of looking at things (a football presence in the northeast, a school with little history in football playing in a P5 conference, New York/New England being an area with college football interest, a basketball brand having monetary value).
The talking heads are speaking in a manner similar to Big Three car dealerships in the early 1970's telling customers there was no way a Japanese car with a considerably smaller engine could generate more power and be more reliable than a big block American car.

I'm not conceding anything. As a few have pointed out (including some pundits), if Yormark does deliver Arizona and ASU (after landing Colorado) he does warrant selecting whoever he views as the best candidate to fill out the conference. Additionally, while many talking heads are claiming Utah is in, I haven't seen anything yet to support that claim. It may be true but if it is it is well hidden.

I still wish we were a year further into the Mora era when this occurred but that was completely out of our control.

The best news is that we should know a lot more in about 32 hours.

Reaction Score
If you ever saw the movie Moneyball you would have seen the incredible resistance a number of people who worked in baseball for the bulk of their adult lives had towards a new way of thinking and measuring results.

One thing we are fighting is that many of the decision makers and most of the pundits are resistant to what is a new way of looking at things (a football presence in the northeast, a school with little history in football playing in a P5 conference, New York/New England being an area with college football interest, a basketball brand having monetary value).
The talking heads are speaking in a manner similar to Big Three car dealerships in the early 1970's telling customers there was no way a Japanese car with a considerably smaller engine could generate more power and be more reliable than a big block American car.

I'm not conceding anything. As a few have pointed out (including some pundits), if Yormark does deliver Arizona and ASU (after landing Colorado) he does warrant selecting whoever he views as the best candidate to fill out the conference. Additionally, while many talking heads are claiming Utah is in, I haven't seen anything yet to support that claim. It may be true but if it is it is well hidden.

I still wish we were a year further into the Mora era when this occurred but that was completely out of our control.

The best news is that we should know a lot more in about 32 hours.
They should do a Moneyball 2 where Oakland has the worst record in baseball, the worst attendance in baseball, and Oakland loses their team to Vegas.

Reaction Score
He’s saying he has a connection to the media players who are involved in the B12 contract negotiations. His timeline goes approximately back to when rumors started.

So Yormack and the media want UConn. At least that’s my interpretation.

Don't forget what DeFilippo said in 2011:

"TV —ESPN — is the one who told us what to do."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't forget what DeFilippo said in 2011:

"TV —ESPN — is the one who told us what to do."
And in 2020 Dan Hurley said you better get us now. Seems Yormack listened.:)

I want UConn to enjoy success in the B12 for UConn's sake.
But it will give me even more pleasure if that happens knowing that the ACC and BIG will create not choosing us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I thought that's one of the reasons why the B1G added Rutgers?

I still think UConn will get a Big 12 invite. I have no insider knowledge or anything like that, but I'm putting two and two together on what is happening. Everyone has hashed out UConn possibly being the partner to Colorado or the partner to the Arizona schools if they are both added, so I won't expand on those options. Here is what I think is happening. Mind you, this is contingent on the B1G expanding again.

If the B1G expands again......18....20....24.....whatever number it may be, both the SEC and Big 12 are going to expand to play catchup. If 16 is not the final number for the B1G, it won't be the final number for the SEC or Big 12 either. The Big 12 is already turning itself into the "little brother" of the SEC and B1G and will want to do whatever they do. The B1G became a national conference, and no sooner did that happen than the Big 12 announced they wanted to be a national conference. There is no conceivable way to be a national conference without any representation in the DC to Boston corridor. There has to be at least one team in this region. The B1G has Maryland and Rutgers. The Big 12's only options are UConn and Boston College. Boston College doesn't get the Big 12 New York representation, which is what BY is wanting. And despite what some might think, Syracuse is not in this region! Did you know that both Penn State and Maryland are closer to NYC than Syracuse? UConn is the only viable option here. Even if the ACC falls apart (which it will eventually), neither Boston College or Syracuse gets the Big 12 into NYC. Let's assume that the 4 corner schools all get into the Big 12. That gives them 16. If the B1G expands to 20 or more, where is BY going to go? He will have already consolidated what he can out west. East is the only direction to go. Pittsburgh and Louisville are prime candidates too. Assuming UConn doesn't make the cut before the 4 corner schools, teams 17-20 will likely be UConn, Pittsburgh, Louisville and 1 other ACC school. As logical as it is to add UConn, it's also logical to add Pitt and Louisville to have the geographic rivals of Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Louisville together. Of these options, only UConn has the freedom to avoid the coming showdown of the ACC GOR, so UConn is the easiest add. I have no doubt this invite is coming. Now is it coming this year? I don't know. I just believe it will come sooner rather than later.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The future is so bright we have to wear shades.
I like the sentiment, but hate the 80's song of that name by Timbuk3.

Reaction Score
He’s saying he has a connection to the media players who are involved in the B12 contract negotiations. His timeline goes approximately back to when rumors started.

So Yormack and the media want UConn. At least that’s my interpretation.
Is there a reason why you constantly misspell this guy's name? It's Yormark, not Yormack! You should really learn the spelling of our soon to be commissioner's name.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn was and is not a pawn. Your AD who conspicuously did not travel on a dream vacation meticulously planned by his department isn't a fool.
I noticed that as well. So there will be no Benedict was sipping sangria while our conference bid was lost to match the Manual was sipping margaritas while a conference bid was lost.

Instead it will be Benedict was on Twitter while our conference bid was lost.

Reaction Score
We need to call espn and just ask what we need to do to get in the acc. If not call the aac and say football only and just start winning

Reaction Score
UConn was and is not a pawn. Your AD who conspicuously did not travel on a dream vacation meticulously planned by his department isn't a fool.
So what is the next thing that is going to happen to UConn, if you know?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't. You can make an educated guess based on the regionality of the Big 12. ASU's President made the "behind the scenes" maneuvering much less opaque.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
CYO Hoop + Indy football, then FB goes the way of UVM and BU in 3-5.
There won’t be anyone to play soon (FB) and the chairs are getting pulled as the music stops.

Reaction Score
I don't. You can make an educated guess based on the regionality of the Big 12. ASU's President made the "behind the scenes" maneuvering much less opaque.

Frustrating listen to hear how much they didn't wanna be in the Big 12. And if they get an expansion vote, it's probably a 'no' on UConn.

Reaction Score
Frustrating listen to hear how much they didn't wanna be in the Big 12. And if they get an expansion vote, it's probably a 'no' on UConn.
One day you are associating with schools like Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC etc. The next day you are associating with WVU, UCF, Iowa State, Kansas St etc. Would you be happy?

It will take some time to adjust to their new reality.

I hope Yormark can sell his vision to presidents like this. He seems pretty set in his ways, and he could be an issue when Yormark are trying to add UConn.

Reaction Score
Markets and upside:
UConn, Temple, Memphis, Navy/Georgetown

This gets The Big XII northeast and east coast today. Worry about ACC a decade or so from now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They don't care about NYC. They see it as a crime ridden hell hole that everyone is fleeing for the south. The world does not revolve around northeastern things and they are making that quite clear by their continual snubbing.

This is the stupidest take on this board in two days of stupid takes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So ESPN was ready to pony up for ASU, Arizona & Utah to the ACC, but are unwilling to pony up for Connecticut? Eph, them.

I said this before but there is no way ESPN should ever get another tax break from the state of Connecticut. If I still live there I would be letting my elected representatives know that if you vote to subsidize the corporation that gutted the old big east and has kept Connecticut from being a part of a P5 conference, you lose my vote and I will do everything in my power to campaign against you.

Reaction Score
I thought that's one of the reasons why the B1G added Rutgers?

I still think UConn will get a Big 12 invite. I have no insider knowledge or anything like that, but I'm putting two and two together on what is happening. Everyone has hashed out UConn possibly being the partner to Colorado or the partner to the Arizona schools if they are both added, so I won't expand on those options. Here is what I think is happening. Mind you, this is contingent on the B1G expanding again.

If the B1G expands again......18....20....24.....whatever number it may be, both the SEC and Big 12 are going to expand to play catchup. If 16 is not the final number for the B1G, it won't be the final number for the SEC or Big 12 either. The Big 12 is already turning itself into the "little brother" of the SEC and B1G and will want to do whatever they do. The B1G became a national conference, and no sooner did that happen than the Big 12 announced they wanted to be a national conference. There is no conceivable way to be a national conference without any representation in the DC to Boston corridor. There has to be at least one team in this region. The B1G has Maryland and Rutgers. The Big 12's only options are UConn and Boston College. Boston College doesn't get the Big 12 New York representation, which is what BY is wanting. And despite what some might think, Syracuse is not in this region! Did you know that both Penn State and Maryland are closer to NYC than Syracuse? UConn is the only viable option here. Even if the ACC falls apart (which it will eventually), neither Boston College or Syracuse gets the Big 12 into NYC. Let's assume that the 4 corner schools all get into the Big 12. That gives them 16. If the B1G expands to 20 or more, where is BY going to go? He will have already consolidated what he can out west. East is the only direction to go. Pittsburgh and Louisville are prime candidates too. Assuming UConn doesn't make the cut before the 4 corner schools, teams 17-20 will likely be UConn, Pittsburgh, Louisville and 1 other ACC school. As logical as it is to add UConn, it's also logical to add Pitt and Louisville to have the geographic rivals of Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Louisville together. Of these options, only UConn has the freedom to avoid the coming showdown of the ACC GOR, so UConn is the easiest add. I have no doubt this invite is coming. Now is it coming this year? I don't know. I just believe it will come sooner rather than later.
You need to stop doing this sales job on yourself. The Big 12 has no money to expand beyond 16 teams and is likely to get picked apart in 7 years. They have no marquee teams, no network and with 16 teams their per team payout will be less the 50 million each ACC team will get from ESPN in 2026.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom