The future | The Boneyard

The future

Reaction Score
As direct from someone as intimate in the media negotiations as one could be, UConn's position and calculus as the dominant brand in the #2 sport in the most populated part of the country, with no direct competition envisioned in the future, has not changed from this morning, from yesterday, from last week or from last month.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
As direct from someone as intimate in the media negotiations as one could be, UConn's position and calculus as the dominant brand in the #2 sport in the most populated part of the country, with no direct competition envisioned in the future, has not changed from this morning, from yesterday, from last week or from last month.
So we’re in?

Reaction Score
English please

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If his name was k9k9 he could be from the wibbly wobbly future if you know who I mean.

Reaction Score

1691029218899.png

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the ambiguity. Whaaaaaaaattttt?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Yes, but the prospective investor(s) in the UConn brand have to agree on the potential value and fit for their brand, regardless of our position from a media/financial perspective. Maybe BL can comment on this but, in my experience, cultural fit is as important as any other factor in making a M&A play actually work as expected long term.

Not saying UConn isn't a good fit, just trying to look at it from what could be the perspective of some key B12 decision makers vs. what they perceive as alternatives. I, for one, hope we get the invite for all the obvious reasons, media/financial value being one of them.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, but the prospective investor(s) in the UConn brand have to agree on the potential value and fit for their brand, regardless of our position from a media/financial perspective. Maybe BL can comment on this but, in my experience, cultural fit is as important as any other factor in making a M&A play actually work as expected long term.

Not saying UConn isn't a good fit, just trying to look at it from what could be the perspective of some key B12 decision makers vs. what they perceive as alternatives. I, for one, hope we get the invite for all the obvious reasons, media/financial value being one of them.
He’s saying he has a connection to the media players who are involved in the B12 contract negotiations. His timeline goes approximately back to when rumors started.

So Yormack and the media want UConn. At least that’s my interpretation.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
He’s saying he has a connection to the media players who are involved in the B12 contract negotiations. His timeline goes approximately back to when rumors started.

Yes. Mine as well.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So the media thinks we’re a dominate brand? Is that all this means?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Maybe it's because of the subtlety, but this actually feels legit.

Reaction Score
I think he's just trying to make us feel better.

As Susan Herbst said after Louisville was added to the ACC:

"We are winners -- we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition".

This thread is titled "The Future". In other words, our future won't change regarding winning, regardless of our conference.

Reaction Score
I think he's just trying to make us feel better.

As Susan Herbst said after Louisville was added to the ACC:

"We are winners -- we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition".

This thread is titled "The Future". In other words, our future won't change regarding winning, regardless of our conference.
I thought she was pretty miserable as University President but she was right with that quote.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'm very confident about how Yormark feels, I personally believe if the media partners felt the same way we would have been added before the ink was dry on Colorado's addition. They are still on the fence weighing the safe play (adding only schools that already play P5 football) vs the bold play (adding a school with massive potential but a ridiculously thin track record in football).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This board has become a misery to read. I can’t post in the Key Tweets thread, and I am happy about that, because based on the posts in that thread, you would think the UConn athletic program was about to be overrun by an invading barbarian horde.

One of two things are going to happen. Either the Big 12 will extend an offer, or it won't. Any Big 12 offer is likely going to come with demands for more spending, will have an extended earn-in, and if reports about FoxSports not wanting to fund it are true, will be for less revenue than the other members of the league. The Big 12, like every other league, is on its last massive linear TV contract, as we can see by the pushback TV partners for both the Big 12 and Big 10 are having about adding new members. They are all tapped out, and the stock market is telling all of them it is time to be profitable. It would be nice to get some of that guaranteed TV money before it is gone forever, but that ship has mostly sailed already.

If the doomsayers are correct, and this offer is do or die for UConn because college sports are consolidating into a P2, then getting an offer into a conference that won't survive and whose earn-in would last almost to the end of the conference's current TV contract is not going to do us much good. If fans only want to watch 10 programs or so play college athletics, eventually those 10 programs are going to get all the revenue anyway. UConn's athletic program is already dead.

We are in the early days of a realignment driven by streaming, NIL and the Transfer Portal. An invitation to the Big 12 is not a life raft, and getting left out is not a death sentence. If being a UConn fan makes you so upset, go root for Michigan or Alabama. It will be less stressful.

Make sure to leave the last national championship on the table on your way out.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So the media thinks we’re a dominate brand? Is that all this means?
Follow the money. If they value us they want us. If they want us they are willing to give us money to get us.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
smartest comment of the year.
If we weren’t all so shell shocked from past experiences, if we had the conviction that we are a basketball blue blood and that the only reason we get pushback on it is because of envy, we could easily believe that astute individuals whose occupation depends on valuing sports properties would be pushing Yormack and the B12 presidents in the direction to take UConn over other programs.

This fifth NC sealed the deal for us. Mora has calmed down the doomsday view of our football program. He was a tremendous hire. Baseball and women’s bb are a given. Hockey is rapidly rising.

We claim we have one of the best athletic departments in the country. And yet we struggle to believe anyone other than our own beaten down group is capable of believing this even when evidence points to the contrary. Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome.

And we bring this all to the table plus arguably one of the biggest and wealthiest markets that still hasn’t been fully tapped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Follow the money. If they value us they want us. If they want us they are willing to give us money to get us.

The big question is how much money will they give us. IMO if it‘s more the the BE we take it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think he is saying we are good enough, smart enough, and people like us.
The future is so bright we have to wear shades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom