The Ferrari is still a putt... putt... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Ferrari is still a putt... putt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Purvis really is the 1 guy that looks like he has 0 clue what he is doing out there to me. The constant turnovers because of bad decisions just kill him. He is the type of player that gets the ball and makes a decision about what to do in that split second, then he does it. If the defense adjusts, he's screwed! And his jumpshot doesn't exist, so he cant keep defenses from collapsing on him when he drives into the lane. In the open court he can do a lot of damage because there wont be any defensive surprises, but in a halfcourt setting he adds next to nothing to the offense imo.

Everything isn't all on Purvis though. I understand we don't have great shooters but we have to find a way to space better and get up better shots from behind the arch. Calhoun has to be worked back in. I want to see a few more open shots from Dham from three too. If we don't start knocking down threes I don't think our offense has a chance to thrive this year.

Purvis needs to forget about being a Ferrari imo, he needs to get in the gym and put up jump shots until he cant lift his arms. And then when he reaches that point, he needs to shoot about 1000 more shots. Rinse and repeat.. Same goes for a lot of other huskies too. We need at least 2 guys other then Boat that can knock those threes down. Between Dham, Cassell, TSam, Calhoun and Pruvis I don't think its unreasonable to expect 2 of them to be solid shooters from behind the arch.

Reaction Score
While Rodney wasn't great to throw the sink at him is unfair. I saw some good things from him tonight also. That pass after getting stuck in the air was dreadful but he was ok. I know he's the easy guy to pick on but only if you;re expecting some AA performance.

I think we've come to settle for above average performance. But that is even as rare as hen's teeth.

As a guard, standing no shorter than 6'3'' with acclaimed superior athleticism:

His career average rebounds per game (20-30 mins play?) : 1
His career average assists per game : 1 (i am overly generous here, it's 0.8 Asst/game)

These could means either of the following: low basketball IQ, laziness, selfish? None of these is what we are looking for from him. Let's not play "hurt" card. Look up his stats at his former school.

Truth hurts, but it's time to burst your bubbles about him.

Reaction Score
Purvis's needs to put a tad more arc/softness on his jumper. Its on a b line. Hes very indecisive right now.
It's an ugly release. Only one that looks worse is TSam's.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
To be fair, a Ferrari is not built to make a jump shot.
It is built to blow by people though, something I don't think I've seen him do.

Reaction Score
That Ferrari (Purvis) that KO keeps on talking about still has some bad gas...

Dang, he must have some serious gas to throw his game off this much. Is that possibly the cause of the rumored lack of harmony in the locker room from a couple weeks ago, too? I remember pick- up games at the field house getting pretty ugly after chili night at Alumni dining hall.

Reaction Score
A Ferrari is supposed to travel, which it did several times in the game.

Reaction Score
Honestly very impressed by purvis going to the basket. Maybe a travel here, a turnover there, but when he isn't charging he's making a layup. If you look at him with the forgiveness of a freshman he looked great tonight. Let's get him a jumper.
Why should we look at a kid three years out of high school as a freshman?

Reaction Score
PATIENCE DAMMIT!

We need more time.

ferrari_p4-5_pini_manu-06_03.jpg

Reaction Score
Yes it's early for us to evaluate RP. But what we have seem thus far is concerning. By age he's a Junior. Court experience a red shirt freshman. My opinion, yeah rust on shot acceptable. But I'm not sure what he will provide against good teams. What good team is going to let him slash to the hole all game. There is no way he is getting floor space in the half court with the make up of this team. Everyone now knows to guard him for the slash. Dare him to shoot. When have you seem a UConn SG who was scared to shoot?

Reaction Score
First, he's a kid who plays for our team and I loved his spirit and support of team last year. HOWEVER, as a player right now I have serious concerns which seem to go beyond rust and ankle. He seems to be lost out there, has horrific form on his shot, does not have a great handle (seems to be trying to just rev up and go through people, not by them) does not seem to pass it well (in fact has had some very bad turnovers when they counted) does not seem to have this elite athleticism we have heard about (last night he had guy boxed out on defensive board and just barely got a hand on it). He also made horrible off the ball foul (had another bad one just prior that was not called) putting them on line at critical time. I hope he comes around and I'm rooting for him to do so, but just seems like something is missing.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom