The Big 12 will not remain a power conference post-2025 | The Boneyard

The Big 12 will not remain a power conference post-2025

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
And as such, we should have no longings for it.

The Big 12 will remain (and possibly improve) a major basketball league. It will NOT be a P4 league because it lacks 1) major brands and 2) a perennial top 10 team.

If you look at each of the P4 conferences, they have the #1 and #2 teams brand-wise in most states.

Pac-12:
CA:1-4
AZ:1-2
OR:1-2
WA:1-2 (Gonzaga doesn't play football)
CO:1
UT: 2 (BYU has a bigger brand than Utah)

ACC:
FL: 2-3
GA: 2
SC: 1
NC: 1-4
KY: 2 (Kentucky and Louisville are basically a toss-up but tie goes to flagship)
VA: 1-2
NY: 1
MA: 1
PA: 2

B1G:
WI: 1
MN: 1
IA: 1
IL: 1-2
MI: 1-2
OH: 1
IN: 2-3
NE: 1
MD: 1
PA: 1
NJ: 1

SEC:
TX: 1-2
OK: 1
MO: 1
AR: 1
TN: 1,3 (Memphis is probably #2 ahead of Vandy)
KY: 1
GA: 1
FL: 1
MS: 1-2
LA: 1
AL: 1-2
SC: 2

And then the Big 12 (notice something different):
UT: 1
KS: 1-2
WV: 1
OK: 2
FL: 4
TX: 3-6
IA: 2
OH: 2

41% of the schools in the new Big 12 are not in the top 2 brands in their state and only 3 of the schools are the #1 brand in their states. The only really good brands in the conference are BYU, WVU, Kansas, and maybe Oklahoma State. On top of that, the three states where they have the #1 brand are small states.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We should, however, stay in the Big East and continue to improve our football schedules. If we can get 6 P5 games, UMass, Army, FCS game, and 3 MW/Big 12/AAC games a year, the fans will come back.

Reaction Score
Based on whatever I am reading from other non Big 12 fanbases and the media, the existence of Mormons will keep it a P5 conference.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 will remain (and possibly improve) a major basketball league. It will NOT be a P4 league because it lacks 1) major brands and 2) a perennial top 10 team.

If you look at each of the P4 conferences, they have the #1 and #2 teams brand-wise in most states.

Pac-12:

ACC:
KY: 2 (Kentucky and Louisville are basically a toss-up but tie goes to flagship)

B1G:

SEC:

41% of the schools in the new Big 12 are not in the top 2 brands in their state and only 3 of the schools are the #1 brand in their states. The only really good brands in the conference are BYU, WVU, Kansas, and maybe Oklahoma State. On top of that, the three states where they have the #1 brand are small states.
Power conferences don't lose programs such as Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Mizzou, Colorado...

I'd put Vandy way over Memphis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is kind of a hybrid P5/G5 football league. Better than the AAC, but not as good as the P5 leagues from both a performance and brand standpoint.

Which was the position of the AAC previously. Not as good as P5 but better than everyone else in G5. Didn't always have the top ranked team but the conference was the best of the G5.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Based on whatever I am reading from other non Big 12 fanbases and the media, the existence of Mormons will keep it a P5 conference.
Well, not everything you read on the internet is true.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Power conferences don't lose programs such as Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Mizzou, Colorado...

I'd put Vandy way over Memphis.
As someone who lives in Nashville a mile from Vandy's campus, I can tell you that no one here cares about Vandy. Even tough we are 3 hours from both Knoxville and Memphis, both of those teams have more fans here. I even think more people care about Middle Tennessee State than Vandy lmao.

But agreed that the new B12 is no longer a power conference regardless of what AAC schools they add.

Reaction Score
What's the best football program in the new B12 (post-Texas & OU)?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Pac-12:

ACC:

B1G:

SEC:

I haven't followed all the threads on here about realignment...have people been "longing " to get into the Big 12?

The Big 12 is much better than the AAC for football...and i do think the 4 that are joining make a lot of sense. But I still prefer UConn's independent football schedule than a Big 12 schedule. And I just don't see a big TV contract for that conference.

Add in that I would hate the basketball schedule...and I am definitely in the camp of not longing for UConn to be in the Big 12. I am sure it would mean more money for the school, but the conference just isn't appealing to me.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I see the new B12 as pretty appealing. I think you’ll see full and raucous stadiums week in and week out and that will play a big part in perception. I could see this working out surprisingly well for them.

Reaction Score
As someone who lives in Nashville a mile from Vandy's campus, I can tell you that no one here cares about Vandy. Even tough we are 3 hours from both Knoxville and Memphis, both of those teams have more fans here. I even think more people care about Middle Tennessee State than Vandy lmao.

But agreed that the new B12 is no longer a power conference regardless of what AAC schools they add.
Interesting. That makes sense as I think people are far more likely to support their state school over an elite private. Maybe it's more of a national brand thing. Vandy as an elite institution in the SEC seems to have far more cred than Memphis, in my mind anyway. I would think more locals care about UNC and NC State than Duke while nationally Duke wins. I could be wrong.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Interesting. That makes sense as I think people are far more likely to support their state school over an elite private. Maybe it's more of a national brand thing. Vandy as an elite institution in the SEC seems to have far more cred than Memphis, in my mind anyway. I would think more locals care about UNC and NC State than Duke while nationally Duke wins. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I think most people would choose to send their kids to Vandy over Memphis if that’s what you mean.

Reaction Score
B12 might not be a good fit, but it might be the only lifeboat for a while. For UCONN, it will depend on the next B12 media contract that's coming up. IF B12 can somehow make a case for a very nice media deal for the next contract with UCONN in it, then UCONN needs to consider B12 as a possible home. Of course, it will also depend on what the Big East can negotiate for its next contract that's coming up.

UCONN has a few years to get a brand new coach and see how far we can take this indy thing. UCONN can always negotiate its own much better football-only media deal assuming we are much better on the field. The immediate goal for UCONN football is to get to Boise State level ASAP and sustaining it for multiple years.

Reaction Score
I listed to an interview with Texas Tech's AD. He thought adding 4 to the Big 12 was step one of expansion and that they would consider adding more schools down the road.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

When UConn played at Vandy in the PP disaster era, us UConn fans parked 100 yards from the stadium in back of some hotel and tailgated there. Could not have been more than 10k Vandy fans there.
SEC teams love Vandy because they know they can take 25k fans to the city, party it up and get an easy W. It's a win win for football. Now Vandy baseball? That's legit.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma State probably.
That's probably right, but I think Cincy has a chance if Fickell stays to be as good as any of those programs. Obviously, they're right now the highest rated of all those teams, and after watching Oklahoma struggle against Tulane, I'm even more convinced. He's a formidable force recruiting depth wise, and my guess is quality will only improve with this move. Also watching the Georgia/Cincy bowl game showed me something talent and athlete wise which kind of surprised me. The interesting thing for me will be what impact Texas and Oklahoma moving to the Sec has on their recruiting relative to the schools staying in the B12. I don't see either of those schools improving their competitive position on the field in the Sec. It will be interesting to see how that impacts some of the other Texas and Oklahoma schools recruiting long term.

Reaction Score
Well, not everything you read on the internet is true.
You do realize that media controls the narrative and not message boards?

Apart from UConn dropping it's football program. Only UConn fans can come up with that idea.

Reaction Score
That's probably right, but I think Cincy has a chance if Fickell stays to be as good as any of those programs. Obviously, they're right now the highest rated of all those teams, and after watching Oklahoma struggle against Tulane, I'm even more convinced. He's a formidable force recruiting depth wise, and my guess is quality will only improve with this move. Also watching the Georgia/Cincy bowl game showed me something talent and athlete wise which kind of surprised me. The interesting thing for me will be what impact Texas and Oklahoma moving to the Sec has on their recruiting relative to the schools staying in the B12. I don't see either of those schools improving their competitive position on the field in the Sec. It will be interesting to see how that impacts some of the other Texas and Oklahoma schools recruiting long term.
The SEC was starting to take over recruiting in Texas which is one of the reasons why Texas wanted to move to the SEC. The last 3 years, half of the top 20 Texas recruits went to the SEC. Including Texas and Oklahoma, 80% of the top 20 Texas recruits in the past 3 years went to current or future SEC schools.

For the remaining Big 12 schools, they will get some recruits, but not playing Texas and Oklahoma on an annual basis just took one of the biggest attractions for kids to stay in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
What’s the difference between Big 12 circa 2025 and Big East in 2012?

Reaction Score
If there is another round of expansion coming for the B12 and we want any part of it, we need to make a shockingly good hire. No matter how you look at UConn’s end game, the new football coach has to be a guy with respected football chops.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If there is another round of expansion coming for the B12 and we want any part of it, we need to make a shockingly good hire. No matter how you look at UConn’s end game, the new football coach has to be a guy with respected football chops.
I do agree with this. If it remains a power conference (highly unlikely) with Kansas, WVU, and BYU still in it, then we should quietly put our hat in the ring. My only fear is that the last two schools may bolt and then I would not want anything to do with it.

Reaction Score
I do agree with this. If it remains a power conference (highly unlikely) with Kansas, WVU, and BYU still in it, then we should quietly put our hat in the ring. My only fear is that the last two schools may bolt and then I would not want anything to do with it.
None of the Big 12 schools want to be in the Big 12 (just like the AAC), and every one of them would leave if an offer came from any of the other P5 conferences.

Here’s a question. What are the odds Luke Fickell, Gus Malzahn, and Dana Holgersen are coaching at their current schools when they start playing in the Big 12? I think at least 2 out of the three don’t make the move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom