The Big 12 will not remain a power conference post-2025 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big 12 will not remain a power conference post-2025

Reaction Score
We don't belong in the Big12. Sure it would have been a nice escape hatch a few years ago but they weren't serious with the dog and pony show. Let's hire a decent coach and win some games. Improving the program and getting a couple of signature wins helps elevate the entire AD. And our status as a FB Independent means very few strings attached if the right conference shows interest. In the meantime just right the ship. It will improve the scheduling, improve our revenue stream and contracts in the future.

Reaction Score
Any news on how the additions would affect the current TV contract? I remember reading that the B12 TV partners did not have to pro rate the existing contract, so would that mean that the individual payouts to each school would decrease to accommodate the new schools?

Reaction Score

What's interesting about this news is that Texas and Oklahoma may be leaving early for the SEC and they will negotiate an exit fee. The remaining Big 12 schools are probably realizing that moving forward with the new conference is more important than dragging the exit out.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
In any respect… done deal.

Time to see what dregs the AAC backfills with....I'm going UAB, Coastal Carolina, ODU, and Marshall.....if not Marshall, I can see a FIU or FAU to replace UCF.

I'll be interested to see if Navy stays on board. This is also really leaving Temple out to dry. They are the only team north of the Mason Dixon line now

Reaction Score
Time to see what dregs the AAC backfills with....I'm going UAB, Coastal Carolina, ODU, and Marshall.....if not Marshall, I can see a FIU or FAU to replace UCF.

I'll be interested to see if Navy stays on board. This is also really leaving Temple out to dry. They are the only team north of the Mason Dixon line now
Iwould not be surprised if Temple and Navy joined us as independents. Navy’s Olympic sports are already parked elsewhere. For Temple it might be harder but I think its time to think about it.

Reaction Score
My guess is between 17-18 million all in.
You realize the Big 12 gets $67 million a year just from the playoff right? Add in 7-8 bowl game payouts at probably ~$10M payout, that's roughly $6.5M a year just from extras. They also get $337,141 per NCAA tournament credit, for just the 2021 tournament they got 18 credits for a total of $6M. So they're getting $7M a year before a single TV dollar. The Big 12 also gives their T3 rights to the individual schools. So you really think their TV payout INCLUDING T3 is only going to be $10-11M per team per year? Hell the AAC is getting $7M.

The per year distribution will be at least 22M and possibly up to 25M on an ongoing basis. Plus they get to split whatever Texas / Oklahoma is going to pay out.

Reaction Score
You realize the Big 12 gets $67 million a year just from the playoff right? Add in 7-8 bowl game payouts at probably ~$10M payout, that's roughly $6.5M a year just from extras. They also get $337,141 per NCAA tournament credit, for just the 2021 tournament they got 18 credits for a total of $6M. So they're getting $7M a year before a single TV dollar. The Big 12 also gives their T3 rights to the individual schools. So you really think their TV payout INCLUDING T3 is only going to be $10-11M per team per year? Hell the AAC is getting $7M.

The per year distribution will be at least 22M and possibly up to 25M on an ongoing basis. Plus they get to split whatever Texas / Oklahoma is going to pay out.
The big 12 is still a p5 conference, it’s not as strong with Texas Oklahoma gone but there’s still some really good teams in that conference.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Iwould not be surprised if Temple and Navy joined us as independents. Navy’s Olympic sports are already parked elsewhere. For Temple it might be harder but I think its time to think about it.
I thought about that for Temple as well.... however, I can't see them trying to park the rest of their sports in the A-10 (if they'd have them back). We get decent money being in the BE. Temple makes more being in the AAC than they word if they went Indy and moved Olympic sports to the A-10.

Reaction Score
I thought about that for Temple as well.... however, I can't see them trying to park the rest of their sports in the A-10 (if they'd have them back). We get decent money being in the BE. Temple makes more being in the AAC than they word if they went Indy and moved Olympic sports to the A-10.
For now. The AAC numbers are going down.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

The contract moving forward will be dwarfed once Texas and OU are gone. Additionally, the 8 teams will share that OU/Texas money - that won't get shared with the 4 new schools. It still is a great deal for Houston et al as they will get $15M as opposed to $6 M minus expenses.

They will get cut out of the Power 4 conversation and their champions will get treated like a G5 member. This is not what UConn should be holding out for.

Reaction Score
The contract moving forward will be dwarfed once Texas and OU are gone. Additionally, the 8 teams will share that OU/Texas money - that won't get shared with the 4 new schools. It still is a great deal for Houston et al as they will get $15M as opposed to $6 M minus expenses.

They will get cut out of the Power 4 conversation and their champions will get treated like a G5 member. This is not what UConn should be holding out for.
Are you struggling with the math here? $15M means $8M per school for the TV contract. Yes, the TV contract may be "dwarfed" but it's not going to go down to $8M. Their total payout is around $40M right now. I expect going forward it'll be $22-25M which is a big haircut, but UConn should and would jump at that.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I haven't followed all the threads on here about realignment...have people been "longing " to get into the Big 12?

The Big 12 is much better than the AAC for football...and i do think the 4 that are joining make a lot of sense. But I still prefer UConn's independent football schedule than a Big 12 schedule. And I just don't see a big TV contract for that conference.

Add in that I would hate the basketball schedule...and I am definitely in the camp of not longing for UConn to be in the Big 12. I am sure it would mean more money for the school, but the conference just isn't appealing to me.
For me, it’s not that we didn’t get in - it’s that we weren’t even in the conversation. There were about 12 schools ahead of us this time. I think that shows that we have regressed quite a bit since 2016.

Reaction Score
Are you struggling with the math here? $15M means $8M per school for the TV contract. Yes, the TV contract may be "dwarfed" but it's not going to go down to $8M. Their total payout is around $40M right now. I expect going forward it'll be $22-25M which is a big haircut, but UConn should and would jump at that.

They won't get the same Playoff rate once Texas and Oklahoma leave. They can probably get to $20MM total payout, but that would be far off removed from the P4 schools.

Reaction Score

People just don't seem to be in touch with the financial reality. We would be much better off fin0in the Big 12 than we will ever be in our current status. Our current status is fine if you are ok with UConn be a mid-level program. Maybe that is all we can be, but I don't believe that to be true.

No way their next deal come in under $20 million per year.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
People just don't seem to be in touch with the financial reality. We would be much better off fin0in the Big 12 than we will ever be in our current status. Our current status is fine if you are ok with UConn be a mid-level program. Maybe that is all we can be, but I don't believe that to be true.

I agree that our current financial set up is no where near what anyone is getting in the P4 or Big 12. No mater what the new TV deal will be for the Big 12, it will be way above what we get.

The one thing I don't think we can totally know, is what these deals will actually look like. We are entering a new media world. It's no longer cable boxes that these contracts are paying for. Sure, currently not enough people have gone streaming, but in 5 years? These deals will be for longer lengths of time and I'll be curious to see how much networks are willing to pay for the content. I'll also be interested to see if a streaming platform tries to jump into the fray......

Reaction Score

UCONN would have a much better chance of convincing Joe morehead to run it’s team than get into the Big 12. They are not a fit culturally or geographically.

Reaction Score
For me, it’s not that we didn’t get in - it’s that we weren’t even in the conversation. There were about 12 schools ahead of us this time. I think that shows that we have regressed quite a bit since 2016.
What're you talking about? They did the full-blown dog and pony show in 2016 and I am sure the big 12 came away from that already knowing that these 4 programs were the most likely to be added. UCONN was probably eliminated in 2016 as a candidate due primarily to the distance and that hasn't changed in 5 years.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
What're you talking about? They did the full-blown dog and pony show in 2016 and I am sure the big 12 came away from that already knowing that these 4 programs were the most likely to be added. UCONN was probably eliminated in 2016 as a candidate due primarily to the distance and that hasn't changed in 5 years.
It is quite possible. Many assumptions on both of our parts.

Reaction Score
Shizzle, you could be right about the Big 12 losing its power status post 2025, or it's possible you're just addicted to sour grapes. Let's let things play out and see what happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom