The battle for New York heating up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The battle for New York heating up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wondered that myself, but I remember reading a story several years back that the NJSEA thought they would turn a profit with the Devils moving over to the Rock. Supposedly they're doing well since. I think part of it has to do with booking more family shows & concerts by having the facility free most of the year.

I have been two IZOD twice in the last 4 years for Sesame Street Live and Monster Jam. Easy to drive too; but, no mass transit connections. In addition, there is nothing around IZOD except for the long dormant Zanadu project. Plus, the arena is really showing it's age and looks run down. Would take the Rock any day as it's easy to get to by public transit, not that hard of a drive, especially, and there are bars and stuff around it.

That said, I am glad UConn is adopting he 'any team, any where' mentality while we wallow in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Agree. Our days of playing the Fruit are over unless we meet in the Tournament. They want nothing to do with UCONN and to be honest, I think UCONN can do better. They are in a decline and playing in the ACC is only going to crush them further. <------- that's called turning the tables on their arrogant/stupid fans' statements about UCONN a few years ago back at the source.

The northeastern teams just loathe having competition. Syracuse, Rutgers, BC absolutely do not want to have Uconn as competition for recruits in NYC. I highly doubt any of them will schedule Uconn in either football or basketball.

Reaction Score
Agree. Our days of playing the Fruit are over unless we meet in the Tournament. They want nothing to do with UCONN and to be honest, I think UCONN can do better. They are in a decline and playing in the ACC is only going to crush them further. <------- that's called turning the tables on their arrogant/stupid fans' statements about UCONN a few years ago back at the source.

Further, Syracuse also wants to avoid competing with UConn academically. UConn has soared past Syracuse academically. At 1/3 the cost and stronger academically, UConn has become a hot school that competes directly with Syracuse for students from CT. With the New England Compact tuition break, other New England parents also see UConn as an excellent academic institution at a relative bargain compared to Syracuse. Syracuse does not want to see UConn in a situation where we can be compared "apples to apples" in any respect. While BC is in a different strata academically, UConn is moving closer to them every year. Actually, there is a lot of synergy between BC and UConn re: graduate school. It seems that a fair number of UConn grad students went to BC undergrad. (I guess you get tired of paying private school tuition.)

Reaction Score
saladfingers said:
Connecticut is a bland, soulless void.
That's a sad comment. Every state has a soul and interesting people and places. If you think CT is bland and soulless you probably had a bland and soulless upbringing. I love CT and all the great environments that are packed into such a little place. We are naturally ignorant of the beauty and charm of people and places we know well.

Reaction Score
That's a sad comment. Every state has a soul and interesting people and places. If you think CT is bland and soulless you probably had a bland and soulless upbringing. I love CT and all the great environments that are packed into such a little place. We are naturally ignorant of the beauty and charm of people and places we know well.
Yes and ours loves for each of us to pay high taxes, I am over 10K in property taxes, not to mention gas taxes, etc. ...now can we get back on point!

Reaction Score
Every place in the world has bad and good places. CT and NJ are no different. I used to travel to Michigan a lot and parts of Detroit are horrendous, yet Mackinac Island is gorgeous and the 20 foot sand dunes on the Lake Michigan shore are amazing. And things change, too. Anyone remember Times Square in the 80's?

Reaction Score
I have been two IZOD twice in the last 4 years for Sesame Street Live and Monster Jam. Easy to drive too; but, no mass transit connections. In addition, there is nothing around IZOD except for the long dormant Zanadu project. Plus, the arena is really showing it's age and looks run down. Would take the Rock any day as it's easy to get to by public transit, not that hard of a drive, especially, and there are bars and stuff around it.

That said, I am glad UConn is adopting he 'any team, any where' mentality while we wallow in the AAC.

There's bus service via NJ Transit from the Port Authority.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SAMCRO said:
I'll see your Bridegport and raise you a Camden.

And Trenton, and Newark, and Orange, and Atlantic City and Fort Lee and Jersey City and Patterson and Plainfield....

Reaction Score
And Trenton, and Newark, and Orange, and Atlantic City and Fort Lee and Jersey City and Patterson and Plainfield....
I can't speak for the dumpy Connecticut cities because I only spent my 4 years in Storrs, but it's such a shame what has happened with most of the cities mentioned in both states. So much of the blight and flight has been due to politics. Newark could've been (and still should be) a much better place. Jersey City is overcoming much of its problems and certain sections have become unaffordable. Paterson (one "t"), East Orange (Orange is a bit more working class) and Camden may as well be third world countries. I'm not sure you've really been to Ft. Lee though because it's actually a pretty decent town with high end highrises. 40% Asian.

Mr. Conehead hit it right. I've spent time in 44 states. Each one has good and bad areas.

Reaction Score
Every place in the world has bad and good places. CT and NJ are no different. I used to travel to Michigan a lot and parts of Detroit are horrendous, yet Mackinac Island is gorgeous and the 20 foot sand dunes on the Lake Michigan shore are amazing. And things change, too. Anyone remember Times Square in the 80's?

Yes. And it had to be cleaned up. I just wish they had stopped short of making an antiseptic Disney Land. The world needs a place where Damon Runyon characters can hang out; and now, a little west, even Hell's Kitchen is succumbing to gentrification. But, don't get me started on NYC's great neighborhood "evolution."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom