Texas exposed UCONN tonight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas exposed UCONN tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
B Game??? Games like the Tx game sometimes it's the opponent and their game plan that causes Uconn (or any team) to not play their AA game. A good coach, and TX has a good coach, tries to set the tempo--and they did for the first half--when Collier and Gabby came in with fresh legs and great rebounding Uconn became the UConn you think they should be. But let us be fair, Uconn (while great) can't play their defense without leaving at least one player open--that's the weakness of "help defense"..

Collier had a good game but Williams had no impact - other than accumulating early fouls. Only 6 minutes of play, 3 points and no rebounds.

Reaction Score
I see that the OP has already been beaten down so I won't add to that. Texas had a very smart game plan. They decided to play us physically and as long as the refs let it go they were fine which is what happened in the first half. They also ran up and down the floor all game something our opponents have not been able to do with us. And, they hit their shots at times. With all of that, we still beat them by 21 points.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A Carnac Poll - Is there anyone here that does not think UConn will come ready to play Oregon State Sunday? (that sounds funny just hearing or reading that..........Playing Oregon St. in the FF semi's, when everyone had their sights and psyche fixed on playing Baylor).

Anybody think UConn will not come in highly motivated to get to the championship game? Anyone think that Oregon State is going to anoint themselves with some kind of magical fairy dust, or break out a secret "mojo" that they've been saving to use at just the right moment? Anybody think that UConn will come in with the mind-set that all they have to do is just "show up", and think that will be good enough to win the game? Expect to see UConn play the same game you've seen them play all year.

The Huskies collectively have had 1 team goal since the first day of practice back in October, to win another national championship. For the first time all season, they can see the finish line from here. This team has never been this close before.

I don't expect them to get this close, and somehow falter. The BIG 3 and company are going to play just as hard this game with as much intensity and resolve as they have at anytime this year.
Like Geno said last year during a final four pregame interview "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now". Believe this: Geno and staff will have them ready to play this weekend!! ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The problem with the Texas game was the results of the Miss St game. You can not an will not win every game by 60 points. The expectations are just not realistic.

"Exposed" was a really unfortunate word choice for the OP title.

I don't think most people expected a 60 point blowout. Sagarin and Massey had the game UConn by 15-20.I think most of the "negative" the comments are aimed at some of the uncharacteristic play, particularly on the defensive end. UT actually led UConn in points off turnovers (14 to 1), fast break points (14-2), 2nd chance points (9-6) and they out rebounded UConn. That just doesn't happen when UConn is playing their "A" game defense.

A great shooting night was the only reason that the MOV was so large.

Reaction Score
I have a little different take on the game. First, I was surprised that UConn did not start out (defensively) like a whirling dirvish. Also, I think the team was very relaxed, in fact, too relaxed. Those passes and getting beat on the fast break were unusual. My first thought was, "why is Geno playing this style?" It was a slow methodical pace. They did not press at all. It seems that Geno knew that each possession would take 25 seconds or more and UConn would score--UConn has a better half-court offense than Texas, so lets do it.
All in all, Geno also proved that even if UConn plays average or B level defense----NO ONE can out score the Huskies! A measly 5 points more each quarter turns into a 20 point win. I'll take it. On to Oregon State.

Reaction Score
I suppose the case can be made that we were somewhat exposed.
But how about Baylor, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Maryland.

Now them thar's total EXPOSURE for you. :)

MSF: A tip o' the cap on that one.....and a tip of the baton as well, Maestro.

Reaction Score
I think the result might have been a little more lopsided if they hadn't used professional wrestling refs.

CL82: And another tip on that one. Right on target. Sometimes I wonder what the zebras are looking at, or if they are looking at all. Brings to my mind that Sherlock Holmes, in one of his very first paragraphs, said something approximately like this to Watson: You see but you do not observe.

Reaction Score
This is the Boneyard, you are allowed an opinion, unless it conflicts with an others opinion ---or a nitpicker cuts and pastes your words to change what your wrote. Welcome 1950.
My favorite year was 1872. Sure and begora

BROAD: you're on a roll today! Will check back for more later.

Reaction Score
It was tough to expect another near perfect performance after Saturday's game with Miss St. Yes we did not look our best at times, but Texas was no pushover. They played us well. Showing toughness and hustle. It was a good test and will give the coaches things to work on this week.

We did not play our A game and still won. Cannot say the same about the other 3 #1 seeds.

UC: well said from the top...and your "bottom line" might be the most significant observation that any of us has made on this interesting thread thus far. Hopefully, that will prove to foretell the final chapter of the season.

Reaction Score
MIKE: Hang in there. Your thread created a lot of interest. And that's what a forum of this sort needs. Illegitimi non carborundum. ;)

Reaction Score
Not "punish" but "coach" them. When I ran my teams into the ground, I reminded them it was conditioning not punishment. It usually occurred after a lacklustered effort.

MDoggie- - - You're totally right when I wrote after midnight I was in lala land! Of course I meant coach! Sorry 'bout that.

Reaction Score
CL82: And another tip on that one. Right on target. Sometimes I wonder what the zebras are looking at, or if they are looking at all. Brings to my mind that Sherlock Holmes, in one of his very first paragraphs, said something approximately like this to Watson: You see but you do not observe.
For some reason Stewie is the only great player in college, man or woman who I have seen hacked many times and not get calls. It almost seems the refs feel if the make the calls they should, all of the games would be over before the half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is the Boneyard, you are allowed an opinion, unless it conflicts with an others opinion ---or a nitpicker cuts and pastes your words to change what your wrote. Welcome 1950.
My favorite year was 1872. Sure and begora
Part of being entitled to your opinion is, also, allowing others to hold their own opinion, as well, including pointing out why they think your opinion is factually wrong, ill-conceived, or poorly stated. I would note that Tina Thompson has had a positive impact on the post play of TX and that UCONN still out scored TX in every period and shut down every mini run TX made never being threatened significantly. Exposed not really but still some people always need to borrow trouble.

Plus despite Doris's perpetual second guessing only calls benefiting UCONN she failed to notice numerous uncalled instances of body fouls and knocking UCONN players off balance on shots, such as, on the play where Tuck went around Boyette and missed the underhand lay up. Boyette completely displaced Tuck with her body as Tuck made her scoop shot. Doris should stick to calling the game and leave the officiating on the floor or to the fans. Better yet, "Just shut up, Doris."

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I agree with those who have said or implied that the Huskies played their "B" game. There were too many bunnies and layups that cost points. Perimeter defense was streaky at best. Lou did well at times, but sometimes was slow to rotate to the corners, which left UT some open looks for 3. Good energy from her though. UConn gave up open drives to the rim too often. Again, some of these were missed help assignments.

And, to be honest about it, there were just too many 50/50 balls that bounced away to become 10/90 balls. Several UT rebounds were frustrating as they plopped into Texas mitts on the second or third touch.

Texas played well, but the 21 point MOV could easily have been 31. But 21 looks acceptable at this point. Big of me, right?

Final thought: Some of the nervous-nellie BY responses to this game were probably posted because the team that trashed MSU didn't really show up against Texas. I'm guessing the coaches noticed this discrepancy and will address it.

The key of all keys is remarkably simple (but not easy). UConn needs to play its best games for the next 80 minutes. Then they head back to see the White House again.

Reaction Score
First and foremost, we need to keep in mind that Texas is a good team with great talent. They played with the attitude that they had nothing to lose so they went out playing like they had nothing to lose... They fought for rebounds, steals, to block shots, etc. They did make rebounding look more like football with the tackles on Stewart.... but overall it was a great game. I wish the refs had called more fouls on Texas when they were hacking Stewie.... but she was able to prove once again why she is one of the best players all time.... Geno and others have brought up the point that because of how dominant and amazing UCONN is... a 21 point victory seems less impressive... almost as if something was wrong. Texas was a good team. This was an impress, hard-fought win for UCONN. We should be celebrating it ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
First and foremost, we need to keep in mind that Texas is a good team with great talent. They played with the attitude that they had nothing to lose so they went out playing like they had nothing to lose... They fought for rebounds, steals, to block shots, etc. They did make rebounding look more like football with the tackles on Stewart.... but overall it was a great game. I wish the refs had called more fouls on Texas when they were hacking Stewie.... but she was able to prove once again why she is one of the best players all time.... Geno and others have brought up the point that because of how dominant and amazing UCONN is... a 21 point victory seems less impressive... almost as if something was wrong. Texas was a good team. This was an impress, hard-fought win for UCONN. We should be celebrating it ;)

Who says we aren't partying? I've got my paper bagged 36er right next to me and it ain't full!

Reaction Score
on the play where Tuck went around Boyette and missed the underhand lay up. Boyette completely displaced Tuck with her body as Tuck made her scoop shot. "
I think there were missed calls or wrong calls on both sides (I had a perfect sight line to a ball bouncing off one of our guys that was then called UConn ball, and we went down and Lou (I think) hit a 3). But the play you cite about Morgan had to be the worst (non-)call in the game. 10,000 boos followed that one.

Reaction Score
Be very physical with Stewie!! UCONN struggled to a team they absolutely destroyed last year. Baylor has owned Texas this season not even close. Depending on the game tonight with Baylor and Oregon State.. Which I think Baylor will absolutely destroy them tonight. My point is if UCONN plays like they did tonight in the national semis it will be a loss for my beloved huskies. I know UCONN is up but just doesn't seem like a typical UCONN performance. I'm quite nervous about the semis in Indy!!
While I agree with your Baylor worry, looks like we can table that thought for next year. As one of the few that has watched Gino since before UConn (my wife went to HS with him and I saw him coach in Phila area), the tactic to "beat up" UConn goes back many years to all their great players. Nothing new that Texas tried and nothing new regarding the results.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think there were missed calls or wrong calls on both sides (I had a perfect sight line to a ball bouncing off one of our guys that was then called UConn ball, and we went down and Lou (I think) hit a 3). But the play you cite about Morgan had to be the worst (non-)call in the game. 10,000 boos followed that one.
I wasn't saying that calls aren't missed both ways I was speaking specifically about Doris. She referred to that non call as excellent defense which is was only if you didn't count the obvious uncalled foul.

Reaction Score
I look forward to next year,when UConn play Texas.
That's going to be good.

Reaction Score
Watching the game before I saw the stat sheet I thought we brought our B- game on defense and our B game on offense. But If if you just look a the stat sheet it tells another story. Our D held a very talented team that is physical and works hard 40 minutes at both ends of the court to just 40% FG, 32% from 3-land and just 5 free throws made. Texas also had one more TO than we did. At the other end we shot 56% FG, 57% from 3-land including 12 made 3s and were 12-14 from the stripe. One could conclude from this that we brought our A game for offense and defense and should have won by 35+ if you weren't watching the game. Not so. We had an unusually high number of missedh defensive assignments, got beat down the court for uncontested layups four feet ahead of the nearest defender 3 times ---- almost unheard of for a Geno coached team, lost more 50/50 balls than we won, lost the battle of the boards, made an unusually high number of sloppy passes leading to unforced turnovers, were outscored 14 to 4 on points off turnovers and finally played almost the entire game at a pace dictated by TX. Bottom line it is surprising that we won by 21 and it could have been a lot closer but for big games by our Big 3

a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc