Texas at Tennessee (merged thread) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Texas at Tennessee (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For Tennessee..... this season will be..... at least for me..... the most interesting one in recent years.... at least in the HW era..... reason i say this is because the LVs problems were so evident in watching their games.... not from a talent angle but from coaching perspective.....

Having seen just 3 LV games this year..... ball movement is better..... and though they have not played anyone good until Texas..... and Texas didn't bring their best game..... the LVs have a better look..... they are moving the ball better..... and I am curious as to why the change this year as compared to others since 2011-2012 when Holly had operational control of the team...... is the change due to coaching or the players?

It is clear that players have more trust in their teammates..... and the Meghan Simmons or Diamond solo dribble and shoot is less..... it is also clear that chemistry with the team is better..... I don't think someone like Gordon has control of team as asst coach to explain this change......

I think it may be the players are getting it done on their own volition..... will be anxious to see how they progress during the season

Reaction Score
Can’t believe this thread is still going on , to many pages talking bout 2 non Uconn teams in December

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I may take them a little more seriously after these games.

upload_2017-12-13_12-53-30.png

Until then not much to show if they are a good team or an average team with some good individuals.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Love it!

[sic] “They’re sayin’ it’s just December, they’re sayin’ [this], they’re sayin’ [that], they’re sayin’ three of their players fouled out. I thought I was gonna foul out the way that game was being called!”
Margo would've fouled out only if she'd put a Texas uniform on. Tennessee was called for barely half the fouls that Texas was, and didn't have anyone foul out.

Reaction Score
You called UConn's players "robots" and counterposed them to Tennessee's (in your words) "passionate, hungry" players, implying that UConn's players aren't passionate or hungry.

Surely you can understand why a UConn fan would take issue with that.

Have you seen the banquets the Uconn Women get in their hotel private dining rooms after they arrive via a private Jet, driven to the games in lemos'. These are pampered STARs. No denying it---I doubt any of them are hungry. Now the desire to win---that[s something the coaching staff and us fan inject into every Uconn team from 1985 to the present time--Win win win win win---and they only played the REAL cupcakes for the first 2 years (i.e. 83 -85) then GIeno showed the WBB world what basketball was all about--speed, precision, movement, some teams still haven't grasped that concept. I'm a Uconn fan and don't take issue at that--hungry they are not--determined to win--they are.

Reaction Score
You called UConn's players "robots" and counterposed them to Tennessee's (in your words) "passionate, hungry" players, implying that UConn's players aren't passionate or hungry.

Surely you can understand why a UConn fan would take issue with that.
Didn't one of the USA coaches call Napheesa Collier a Robot?? She scores the same way each time--she scores often and regularly--and is a rugged post at less than 6 ft 2. Robot--ok for certain aspect--but if anyone of "another" team chooses to watch them---they will see precision, perfection, and defensive intensity so reliable --some could think it robotic--if their team were not playing Uconn at the moment- if they were playing Uconn-then you'd call them the destruction team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I understand that to many/all UCONN fans the game looked messy, too fast, and sloppy at times, but that was part of the game plan. Tennessee’s style is a mix between a
up-tempo style defense with constant crowding of the ball/movement, and a grit & grind style of offense with constant penetration, kick outs, sprinting, and searching for contact.

Was it sloppier than the coaches, players, and fans would’ve liked? Yes, absolutely.

With that being said, Tennessee clearly wanted to speed Texas up to the point that they were erroneously making uncharacteristic mistakes. We knew we could play through our mistakes because we’re so young, and we’ve had to do it all year. Mistakes don’t bother us because with our style of play they are going to happen, so you just immediately have to make up for it on the other side of the court.

We placed our bets on the idea that Texas couldn’t play through themtje way we could, and we won that bet. They couldn’t.

I understand that UCONN plays a completely different style of play than us, but that doesn’t mean that our style of play is somehow less than. We wouldn’t thrive in a pace and space style of offense that UCONN runs, and personally I don’t think UCONN would thrive as well in a down and dirty, gritty/physical style game.

UCONN players are well oiled robots who run impeccable sets on offense and have great defensive IQs. Tennessee players are a bunch of passionate hungry hound dogs who love to sprint, bang bodies, and get the other team out of rhythm. We thrive on flustering other teams with constant physicality.

It’s ok to respect and understand that no team plays the exact same way. Our game plan worked, therefore I’ll take the W and be happy.

-HS
I'm one of many on this board that has long since washed away any grudge against the Vols and that old saw of issues. I am one of the few that would actually like to see another regional rivalry with Tennessee or anyone, because I think that's what helps the sport to grow. My issue is not with your tone which was somewhat condescending. No, I've stated my criticisms, and it's the style of BB you're defending I have issues with.

That's because in the history of WCBB from what I've seen this form of undisciplined schoolyard ball where it's just run/run, toss it up, one on one, no screens, no assists, no communication, no structure has never won a championship. Oh, I've seen it have success to a certain extent. Then when this kind of team meets a structured, disciplined, focused, well coached and mentally tough team that has a good measure of athleticism they fall, and fall hard. Sometimes then it's hard for that team to recover. I've never seen a team win the NCAA's on athleticism alone. Never. That's my issue. When Pat had the helm her teams were structured, disciplined, and focused; and they won. UConn's current team has the Vols measure of athleticism. ND has near their measure. These are the kinds of teams they will face down the road, and it's that kind of team during the early rounds of the NCAA that will give them all they can handle and more.

Reaction Score
Not sure how “Geno’s Darlings” is an insult. I wasn’t rude. Oranguatan wasn’t rude. I have thick skin, so the occasional sarcastic remark in an argument doesn’t bother me.

It was just a sarcastic way of me saying that I’m not coming after your girls. I’m just providing a different opinion. I was simply reacting to the fact that I provided a different outlook on the topic at hand, and was immediately met with hostility due to the incorrect assertion that by me saying Tennessee and UCONN utilize different styles of play I was somehow insulting UCONN.

Far from the truth. As I don’t think any WCBB fan would argue that UCONN’s coaching, talent, athleticism, and overall dominance has been and still is second to none over the past few years.

Don’t misinterpret a difference of opinion as an insult. I didn’t say anything earlier when Westbrook was being put down and passive aggressively slandered simply because it would’ve accomplished nothing and I understand that fan bases are just as competitive as the teams.

I joined the group to provide a different take on subjects involving Lady Vols in hopes that all the different WCBB fans on here would be open to having intellectual conversations regarding all things WCBB.

-HS
Your take is quite interesting, entertaining and refreshing. I think some CT fans can take themselves much too seriously- it is a game after all.
Having said that, Grahamland, your post did feel a bit insulting and condescending-CT the Roboteam, as opposed to the spunky, chaotic, passionate gang of TN rebels. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but it certainly livened things up.
You have reminded us that "there's more than one way to skin a cat" or play basketball. As a CT fan since 1989, I've been spoiled by the standards set and often achieved by Geno and CD, and I have been guilty of sneering at teams that fall short of that standard. I will go forth and view other teams now that I am enlightened.

Reaction Score
Wow, still going? Saw most, not all, of the game and most of what's been said is true.

Sloppy game? Yes. Texas overrated? They looked the part. Tennessee is better than last year? Definitely better chemistry. Quality play by the LVs freshmen helped by senior leadership? The mix looks good so far.

No doubt Aston and Warlick would hope for better play as the season progresses but it was a barometer game for Tennessee and they responded. I was impressed by Westbrook. Davis and Hayes looked pretty good for freshmen as well. Nared and Russell are doing their part providing leadership which was a major problem for them the last few years.

Is either team comparable to UConn? Not even close. Do both teams have talent? Absolutely. So far I can see why the Lady Vols are excited about their team this season.

Reaction Score
Your take is quite interesting, entertaining and refreshing. I think some CT fans can take themselves much too seriously- it is a game after all.
Having said that, Grahamland, your post did feel a bit insulting and condescending-CT the Roboteam, as opposed to the spunky, chaotic, passionate gang of TN rebels. Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but it certainly livened things up.
You have reminded us that "there's more than one way to skin a cat" or play basketball. As a CT fan since 1989, I've been spoiled by the standards set and often achieved by Geno and CD, and I have been guilty of sneering at teams that fall short of that standard. I will go forth and view other teams now that I am enlightened.

Thank you

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really appreciate the mature and fair-minded spirit embodied in this posting. Well done.

Reaction Score
It was a game for homers. It certainly didn't help the image of women's college basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom