Texas at Tennessee (merged thread) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Texas at Tennessee (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand that to many/all UCONN fans the game looked messy, too fast, and sloppy at times, but that was part of the game plan. Tennessee’s style is a mix between a
up-tempo style defense with constant crowding of the ball/movement, and a grit & grind style of offense with constant penetration, kick outs, sprinting, and searching for contact.

Was it sloppier than the coaches, players, and fans would’ve liked? Yes, absolutely.

With that being said, Tennessee clearly wanted to speed Texas up to the point that they were erroneously making uncharacteristic mistakes. We knew we could play through our mistakes because we’re so young, and we’ve had to do it all year. Mistakes don’t bother us because with our style of play they are going to happen, so you just immediately have to make up for it on the other side of the court.

We placed our bets on the idea that Texas couldn’t play through themtje way we could, and we won that bet. They couldn’t.

I understand that UCONN plays a completely different style of play than us, but that doesn’t mean that our style of play is somehow less than. We wouldn’t thrive in a pace and space style of offense that UCONN runs, and personally I don’t think UCONN would thrive as well in a down and dirty, gritty/physical style game.

UCONN players are well oiled robots who run impeccable sets on offense and have great defensive IQs. Tennessee players are a bunch of passionate hungry hound dogs who love to sprint, bang bodies, and get the other team out of rhythm. We thrive on flustering other teams with constant physicality.

It’s ok to respect and understand that no team plays the exact same way. Our game plan worked, therefore I’ll take the W and be happy.

-HS

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Westbrook gets instant gratification
Meg works on her game against the best
Meg gets coached by the best there is
Meg will get better
Priceless

Everything you stated above translates into Megan becoming a starter next year and for the next 3 years. There will be two openings (Nurse & Williams graduate), she'll get one of them. Who gets the other one?

Call me a homer. Call me biased, but I think in 4 years when Walker and Westbrook move on the professional ranks, Megan will be the better player, if for no other reason than being coached and tutored by Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Everything you stated above translates into Megan becoming a starter next year and for the next 3 years. There will be two openings (Nurse & Williams graduate), she'll get one of them. Who gets the other one?
Stevens.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I understand that to many/all UCONN fans the game looked messy, too fast, and sloppy at times, but that was part of the game plan. Tennessee’s style is a mix between a
up-tempo style defense with constant crowding of the ball/movement, and a grit & grind style of offense with constant penetration, kick outs, sprinting, and searching for contact.

Were the missed jump shots part of the game plan, too? ;)

That description of Tennessee's offense is a nice way of saying that they try to score through sheer athleticism rather than actually running an offense and creating open shots for players.

UCONN players are well oiled robots who run impeccable sets on offense and have great defensive IQs. Tennessee players are a bunch of passionate hungry hound dogs who love to sprint, bang bodies, and get the other team out of rhythm. We thrive on flustering other teams with constant physicality.

The thing is - UConn run impeccable sets and have great defensive IQs *and* sprint and bang bodies. Connecticut does not lack for athleticism or physicality.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was it sloppier than the coaches, players, and fans would’ve liked? Yes, absolutely.
With that being said, Tennessee clearly wanted to speed Texas up to the point that they were erroneously making uncharacteristic mistakes. We knew we could play through our mistakes because we’re so young, and we’ve had to do it all year. Mistakes don’t bother us because with our style of play they are going to happen, so you just immediately have to make up for it on the other side of the court.
We placed our bets on the idea that Texas couldn’t play through themtje way we could, and we won that bet. They couldn’t.
I understand that UCONN plays a completely different style of play than us, but that doesn’t mean that our style of play is somehow less than. We wouldn’t thrive in a pace and space style of offense that UCONN runs, and personally I don’t think UCONN would thrive as well in a down and dirty, gritty/physical style game.
It’s ok to respect and understand that no team plays the exact same way. Our game plan worked, therefore I’ll take the W and be happy.
-HS
For the purpose of this exercise consider me a WCBB trying to decide how to spend my very precious time. I just want to know, was this a TN "plan" specifically for TX or can I look forward to seeing elements of this same plan in other TN games this year?
done.png

Reaction Score

That description of Tennessee's offense is a nice way of saying that they try to score through sheer athleticism rather than actually running an offense and creating open shots for players.

The thing is - UConn run impeccable sets and have great defensive IQs *and* sprint and bang bodies. Connecticut does not lack for athleticism or physicality.

Ok, before we get testy I suggest calming down and maybe reading more intently before you reply.

I clearly stated that UCONN runs an impeccable offense. No one is coming after your girls, so take a breath.

I was simply stating that Tennessee runs a different style of offense than UCONN. We set a lot of high ball screens, and then YES use our athleticism to get ourselves to the basket for easy paint points or free throw shots. We like to drive and kick after the inevitable collapse of the defense. We don’t continously pass the ball around the perimeter and then hurl up a three ball. Not saying that’s what UCONN does God forbid, but based on your post it seems as if that’s what you would prefer them to have done.

Our FG % was uncharacteristically bad against Texas. Does this bother me? Not particularly simply because we won the game on defense and rebounding. That shows me that when shots aren’t falling we know how to buckle down and get the win regardless.

Good day.

-HS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
For the purpose of this exercise consider me a WCBB trying to decide how to spend my very precious time. I just want to know, was this a TN "plan" specifically for TX or can I look forward to seeing elements of this same plan in other TN games this year?
View attachment 26902

I won’t write another novel responding to the same idea pushed forward by other Huskie fans, so please do me a favor and refer to my most recent reply regarding this exact same topic.

-HS

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"UCONN players are well oiled robots who run impeccable sets on offense and have great defensive IQs. Tennessee players are a bunch of passionate hungry hound dogs who love to sprint, bang bodies, and get the other team out of rhythm. We thrive on flustering other teams with constant physicality."

I hate to burst your bubble Grahamland, but UConn plays a very physical and fast brand of basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

My goodness, I'm glad that a non-UConn fan stepped up to the plate for this rebuttal. You expressed my thoughts perfectly and you were more tactful than I would've been.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Texas is a very fast and athletic team. They thrive off of turnovers. That's part of the reason they were leading the country in scoring.

Reaction Score
Next year's starters: Crystal Dangerfield, KLS, Megan, Collier, and Z. At least we won't have to have any threads in the off-season discussing starters, because this one is a no-brainer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok, before we get testy I suggest calming down and maybe reading more intently before you reply.

I clearly stated that UCONN runs an impeccable offense. No one is coming after your girls, so take a breath.

I was simply stating that Tennessee runs a different style of offense than UCONN. We set a lot of high ball screens, and then YES use our athleticism to get ourselves to the basket for easy paint points or free throw shots. We like to drive and kick after the inevitable collapse of the defense. We don’t continously pass the ball around the perimeter and then hurl up a three ball. Not saying that’s what UCONN does God forbid, but based on your post it seems as if that’s what you would prefer them to have done.

Our FG % was uncharacteristically bad against Texas. Does this bother me? Not particularly simply because we won the game on defense and rebounding. That shows me that when shots aren’t falling we know how to buckle down and get the win regardless.

Good day.

-HS
Orangutan is a Notre Dame fan, one who is polite in his postings while visiting here. Could I hope you'll follow his example? We do welcome visiting fans but ask that you refrain from insulting posters and players (e.g. "Geno' darlings").

Plebe

Reaction Score

This is such a horrendously false dichotomy, I just can't leave it alone.

You imply that UConn plays without passion or hunger. Just robots going through the motions with no feeling.

It's possible to play with passion and hunger while still exhibiting discipline and employing an actual system.

Sometimes a team wins a game because they were slightly less inept than the inept opponent. Congrats on that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Next year's starters: Crystal Dangerfield, KLS, Megan, Collier, and Z. At least we won't have to have any threads in the off-season discussing starters, because this one is a no-brainer.

Yeah, this one is a no brainer! :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is such a horrendously false dichotomy, I just can't leave it alone.

You imply that UConn plays without passion or hunger. Just robots going through the motions with no feeling.

It's possible to play with passion and hunger while still exhibiting discipline and employing an actual system.

Sometimes a team wins a game because they were slightly less inept than the inept opponent. Congrats on that.
Perhaps more relevant is that Geno's teaching style isn't simply 'learn the sets and run them without thought'. He emphasizes a read and react approach. That is why UConn WBB players leave here with a very high BBIQ.

["Robots" Pshhh.]

Carnac

Reaction Score
"UCONN players are well oiled robots who run impeccable sets on offense and have great defensive IQs. Tennessee players are a bunch of passionate hungry hound dogs who love to sprint, bang bodies, and get the other team out of rhythm. We thrive on flustering other teams with constant physicality."

I hate to burst your bubble Grahamland, but UConn plays a very physical and fast brand of basketball.

Ask UCLA how physical they can be.

Grahamland said: "I don’t think UCONN would thrive as well in a down and dirty, gritty/physical style game"

My answer to that observation is: They may or may not "Thrive" as you suggest. I will submit that they don't play THAT style or BRAND of basketball because they don't have to. They are "thriving and flourishing" on the style they do play, which no team has come close to defeating yet. UCLA played a very physical game. The Huskies met their challenge and then some. UConn can adapt and make adjustments as needed on the fly.

DePaul came into the game as a high scoring - 3 point shooting team. Well, UConn flipped the script on them, and showed them how it was done. UConn shot 11/24 from behind the arc (45.8%) while DePaul shot a miserable 12/43 (27.9%). DePaul needed 19 more shots to make 1 more 3 pt basket. They did not come close to their scoring average that afternoon either. DePaul began the day averaging 92 ppg. They did not break 70 against UConn.

The 92 ppg. they were scoring was NOT against UConn, or the type of defense UConn plays. Who were the teams they were scoring all of those point against? And keep in mind they lost 2 of those games to U. of Northern Colorado & Florida Gulf Coast Univ.

Reaction Score
Haha - just wait!

Reaction Score
Orangutan is a Notre Dame fan, one who is polite in his postings while visiting here. Could I hope you'll follow his example? We do welcome visiting fans but ask that you refrain from insulting posters and players (e.g. "Geno' darlings").

Not sure how “Geno’s Darlings” is an insult. I wasn’t rude. Oranguatan wasn’t rude. I have thick skin, so the occasional sarcastic remark in an argument doesn’t bother me.

It was just a sarcastic way of me saying that I’m not coming after your girls. I’m just providing a different opinion. I was simply reacting to the fact that I provided a different outlook on the topic at hand, and was immediately met with hostility due to the incorrect assertion that by me saying Tennessee and UCONN utilize different styles of play I was somehow insulting UCONN.

Far from the truth. As I don’t think any WCBB fan would argue that UCONN’s coaching, talent, athleticism, and overall dominance has been and still is second to none over the past few years.

Don’t misinterpret a difference of opinion as an insult. I didn’t say anything earlier when Westbrook was being put down and passive aggressively slandered simply because it would’ve accomplished nothing and I understand that fan bases are just as competitive as the teams.

I joined the group to provide a different take on subjects involving Lady Vols in hopes that all the different WCBB fans on here would be open to having intellectual conversations regarding all things WCBB.

-HS

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not sure how “Geno’s Darlings” is an insult. I wasn’t rude. Oranguatan wasn’t rude. I have thick skin, so the occasional sarcastic remark in an argument doesn’t bother me.

It was just a sarcastic way of me saying that I’m not coming after your girls. I’m just providing a different opinion. I was simply reacting to the fact that I provided a different outlook on the topic at hand, and was immediately met with hostility due to the incorrect assertion that by me saying Tennessee and UCONN utilize different styles of play I was somehow insulting UCONN.

Far from the truth. As I don’t think any WCBB fan would argue that UCONN’s coaching, talent, athleticism, and overall dominance has been and still is second to none over the past few years.

Don’t misinterpret a difference of opinion as an insult. I didn’t say anything earlier when Westbrook was being put down and passive aggressively slandered simply because it would’ve accomplished nothing and I understand that fan bases are just as competitive as the teams.

I joined the group to provide a different take on subjects involving Lady Vols in hopes that all the different WCBB fans on here would be open to having intellectual conversations regarding all things WCBB.

-HS
It's a matter of tone. "Darlings" was rather condescendingly said, so I removed it from your post.

I might suggest lurking a few days to get the tone of the board before employing sarcasm. We don't know you yet, so your sarcasm is assumed to be hostile.

Reaction Score
Texas was not patient at time, jack up shots before setting up effective offense. As athletic as claimed by some, not all UT players actually are. For one, russell was often left behind during a quick texasan offense because she was slowwwwww(I have to admit she looks lot more in shape than in previous years.) but Texas did not take the advantage of 5 vs 4 players and just jack up a basket, when it fell to UT’s hand, Russell’s slowness actually translated into UT’s advantage. There were at least no less than three instances when this happened! Don’t tell me Russell’s staying behind was also by design .

Plebe

Reaction Score

You called UConn's players "robots" and counterposed them to Tennessee's (in your words) "passionate, hungry" players, implying that UConn's players aren't passionate or hungry.

Surely you can understand why a UConn fan would take issue with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom