Texas A&M at South Carolina... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas A&M at South Carolina...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO I think tthis will be another blow out by UCONN ! You HAVE to hit your shots in order to have ANY chance against UCONN and the way SC has struggled to score.....well I just don't see a close game! Sure DS has the horses to compete, but the discipline UCONN displays on both sides of the ball will pale in comparison to any athleticism SC will be able to put on the floor.

Reaction Score
Dawn and her troops know a little bit about playing D, themselves, as evidenced by years of top ten defenses, even when we didn't have particularly good teams at USC. Dawn's favorite term is "cut off the head".
They do seem to pay attention on the defensive end and I've no doubt Staley demands that from her teams.....the only problem I see is, it's just not as easy to cut off 5 heads that can go for 20-30 on any given night.

Reaction Score
TAM's guards turned the ball over 12 times. SC won the rebound battle 43-29 and
beat TAM from the FT line 24-10.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Probably, but I've grown to hate her a lot less in the last couple of years. Seeing her on the list of officials pre-game you knew UConn would be in foul trouble, but that hasn't really been the case recently. So either UConn suddenly got way better at not fouling after being pretty good at it for decades in games that Dee didn't officiate, Dee went to ref improvement school, or the godfather sat her down for a little chat.

I'll bet it's the June Corteau influence ;)

Reaction Score
South Carolina can make a game of it, if Tuck, Stewart and Stokes get into significant foul trouble that requires them to sit significant minutes on the bench. Have to think South Carolina will attempt to get the ball into their bigs at the beginning of the game to make that happen. If the UConn bigs don't get into foul trouble and are able to score their average points per game, don't see South Carolina winning.

You say that SC's best shot requires the benching of UConn's entire starting front line? I read that to mean that South Carolina can win as long as they don't play UConn.

I think South carolina's day is coming. But not on the 9th. Notre Dame lost a lot of games to the Huskies before they learned to play with the same intensity for 40 minutes. There's nothing in the SEC to prepare them.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
South Carolina can make a game of it, if Tuck, Stewart and Stokes get into significant foul trouble that requires them to sit significant minutes on the bench. Have to think South Carolina will attempt to get the ball into their bigs at the beginning of the game to make that happen. If the UConn bigs don't get into foul trouble and are able to score their average points per game, don't see South Carolina winning.
UConn is #2 in the nation as the least fouling team at 12.2 and USCar is just a little further behind at 14.3. Unless the posts from both teams decide to come out swinging for some untold illogical reason, neither is getting in foul trouble. We can cook up all sorts of fanciful situations that happen once in a green moon, and I could say that UConn will be in trouble because Stokes will suddenly decide to start tossing up 3s and will not be able to stay at her current 50% rate. Silly for silly.

Maybe we should try to imagine what the game will be like if both teams go to their usual strengths and play a more normal game rather than going into fantasy land for the Huskies' 20th game of the season. Problems that can hit a team in the second game of the season in mid November should be worked out when you get a ways into February.

Reaction Score
After reading many Tenn game threads, it seems as though the opinion is all officials are prejudiced against Tenn.
Ok....well that's not MY opinion...I just don't like Dee! I've seen threads on this board where people have said the same thing...so is it safe to say that ALL officials are prejudiced against UCONN...pick with another LadyVol fan cause I'm not the one.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn has only played one Top Ten team thusfar, ND, and they were without their second best player, Brianna Turner. SC hasn't payed any Top Ten team. So, we don't really have much to go on.

I have lamented elsewhere on the dearth of head to head games among the top ten. Maybe that's how some teams get to the top ten, they don't play anyone else at that level.

Reaction Score
Princeton or ND? In either case, it's a UConn 3-peat. At least, Princeton won't try to flop its way to a title.

Reaction Score
UConn is #2 in the nation as the least fouling team at 12.2 and USCar is just a little further behind at 14.3. Unless the posts from both teams decide to come out swinging for some untold illogical reason, neither is getting in foul trouble. We can cook up all sorts of fanciful situations that happen once in a green moon, and I could say that UConn will be in trouble because Stokes will suddenly decide to start tossing up 3s and will not be able to stay at her current 50% rate. Silly for silly.

Maybe we should try to imagine what the game will be like if both teams go to their usual strengths and play a more normal game rather than going into fantasy land for the Huskies' 20th game of the season. Problems that can hit a team in the second game of the season in mid November should be worked out when you get a ways into February.
It is silly to think that Stokes wouldn't be able to keep up 50%. If she starts jacking up 3s, she's going 4-8.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn has only played one Top Ten team thusfar, ND, and they were without their second best player, Brianna Turner. SC hasn't payed any Top Ten team. So, we don't really have much to go on.

I have lamented elsewhere on the dearth of head to head games among the top ten. Maybe that's how some teams get to the top ten, they don't play anyone else at that level.
The Husky schedule certainly was set up to play a bunch of top 10 teams, though some this year haven't lived up to expectations so far. But in a year of a lot of parity around the top, why get so hung up on top 10 versus say top 20? Is a AP #10 KY that much better than a Nebraska or ASU or Iowa? UConn has played 5 of their 19 games against Sagarin top 20 teams, and USCar has gotten their two games in against Syracuse and Duke, so there's some room for comparison.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
IMO I think tthis will be another blow out by UCONN ! You HAVE to hit your shots in order to have ANY chance against UCONN and the way SC has struggled to score.....well I just don't see a close game! Sure DS has the horses to compete, but the discipline UCONN displays on both sides of the ball will pale in comparison to any athleticism SC will be able to put on the floor.
Struggled to score? We're 9th in the country in scoring offense at 78.8 (79 last night) and 2nd in scoring defense.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The Husky schedule certainly was set up to play a bunch of top 10 teams, though some this year haven't lived up to expectations so far. But in a year of a lot of parity around the top, why get so hung up on top 10 versus say top 20? Is a AP #10 KY that much better than a Nebraska or ASU or Iowa? UConn has played 5 of their 19 games against Sagarin top 20 teams, and USCar has gotten their two games in against Syracuse and Duke, so there's some room for comparison.

Don't forget about Kentucky. As far as Nebraska is concerned - they lost to Alabama, who is quite mediocre. We won at Bama by 43.

Reaction Score
Struggled to score? We're 9th in the country in scoring offense at 78.8 (79 last night) and 2nd in scoring defense.
From the scoring standpoint which is what i was referring too....looking at SC games where they play decent competition, I just don't see a cohesive offense. I mean hey i cant talk too much with how Tenn struggles to score at times! Lol Cudos on the defense though!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't forget about Kentucky. As far as Nebraska is concerned - they lost to Alabama, who is quite mediocre. We won at Bama by 43.
As mentioned, was talking about the Sagarin top 20 not the pollsters idea of who the top 20 are. After the loss to LSU, KY no longer fits there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html

In the Real Time RPI, Kentucky is 7th.

cryPleaseNo.gif

Please.... dont bring up RPI around DobbsRover :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online