Texas A&M at South Carolina... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas A&M at South Carolina...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson says Feb 9 is a big game - she has it in her phone (whew!)

I remember the talks of her in the beginning fo the year that she is a sf and can play sg maybe. She didn't want to be a post . . .

Now we see. As of right now she is 4-- nothing else. But a terrific 4. So much for playing 3 of the four at the same time--

Wilson, Ibiam, White. Coates.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wonder how Geno will use Stokes in the upcoming game???
If UConn gets a decent lead, he will use Stokes like she was Mariano Rivera -- to put a plug in the basket to stop any thoughts of a comeback. And that will probably work.

But if the Gamecocks get a significant lead and UConn has to come back, then Kiah won't see the floor while the comeback attempt is being made. And that could give UConn problems on inside defense.

I agree with the poster who said that Morgan Tuck's effectiveness will determine how the game goes. If she can score against their bigs and not be beaten overhead on defense, UConn will win. If Geno has to limit her minutes because either or both of those premises proves to be invalid, then UConn may lose.

On the other hand, if KML / Moriah / Kia Nurse hit from the 3-point line as they have been in recent games, then UConn will win almost regardless of what happens in the paint. If the points in the paint are roughly equal for both teams, then UConn should win.

As the A&M game winds to a close with the Gamecocks up by 18 (less than the LV's margin of victory over A&M), the announcers just mentioned that 22 of 27 field goals by South Carolina have been made in the paint. That is not a balanced offense. If they aren't more balanced on offense against UConn, their chances of victory will diminish greatly.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My impression of both teams tonight is that they dribble way too much.
Overall style of play favors UConn

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
SC by 20 points...Blair is a good coach but he has no presence in the middle something Dawn Staley is sure to exploit.

Almost called it right to the point...if it wasn't for the last basket at the 40 second mark...I would have been exactly on the money. In any case, my point was simply this. Gary Blair's team has no presence in the middle. Dawn's twin towers of Coates and Wilson were too much for Texas A & M. Now, for those who think UConn is going to run away with this game (my good friend TonyC)...think again.

Reaction Score
If UConn gets a decent lead, he will use Stokes like she was Mariano Rivera -- to put a plug in the basket to stop any thoughts of a comeback. And that will probably work.

But if the Gamecocks get a significant lead and UConn has to come back, then Kiah won't see the floor while the comeback attempt is being made. And that could give UConn problems on inside defense.

I agree with the poster who said that Morgan Tuck's effectiveness will determine how the game goes. If she can score against their bigs and not be beaten overhead on defense, UConn will win. If Geno has to limit her minutes because either or both of those premises proves to be invalid, then UConn may lose.

On the other hand, if KML / Moriah / Kia Nurse hit from the 3-point line as they have been in recent games, then UConn will win almost regardless of what happens in the paint. If the points in the paint are roughly equal for both teams, then UConn should win.

As the A&M game winds to a close with the Gamecocks up by 18 (less than the LV's margin of victory over A&M), the announcers just mentioned that 22 of 27 field goals by South Carolina have been made in the paint. That is not a balanced offense. If they aren't more balanced on offense against UConn, their chances of victory will diminish greatly.
Kiah putting a plug on the basket works when the other team doesn't have any size. I guarantee South Carolina will not be afraid to go inside against her. Also, when UConn was making its comeback against ND, I believe they were down 6 or 8 to ND when they put Kiah in the game and took the lead? I think she will see time. Geno trusts her and knows exactly what he is going to get from her at this point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Almost called it right to the point...if it wasn't for the last basket at the 40 second mark...I would have been exactly on the money. In any case, my point was simply this. Gary Blair's team has no presence in the middle. Dawn's twin towers of Coates and Wilson were too much for Texas A & M. Now, for those who think UConn is going to run away with this game (my good friend TonyC)...think again.
I'm one of those who thinks UCONN runs away with it. We will see... aTm is a team UCONN would beat by close to 40. Keep in mind the "close" games in the AAC - Geno not only plays his bench for 20 minutes, but even the walk ons get close to 8 minutes or so. Geno could go 7 deep - I agree with the person who said Chong might see very little time against SC.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The stats show USCar as being very good to decent in all the stat categories except for their very poor FT shooting, and the other deficiency is 3-pters per game. They may not need them that much when they're playing SEC teams who they can dominate with inside play, but they will need it to stay at all close to UConn. They don't shoot that badly from the arc, so it is a possibility that they'll try to take more 3s against UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Texas A&M's Blair told the Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley how to handle the big matchup with the Huskies in two weeks. "I told Dawn if she would go inside like she did against us against Connecticut, she's got a great chance," he said.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Texas A&M's Blair told the Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley how to handle the big matchup with the Huskies in two weeks. "I told Dawn if she would go inside like she did against us against Connecticut, she's got a great chance," he said.

I saw that in the Yahoo article and I can verify that he really did say that. I was sitting no more than 10 feet away when they shook hands after the game. Whether that will be Dawn's game plan against UCONN or not, is anyone's guess. Dawn is her own woman and doesn't need Gary Blair to tell her how to coach. Of course, she's done that against virtually every team this season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My answer to Blair is what if UConn goes inside on SC. UConn has the athleticism and horses to do it.

A couple of thoughts. First no team will get the ball inside on UConn easily. SC struggled against Duke and should've lost. UConn won by 30+ and called off the dogs. UConn has beaten good teams by a lot and yes Geno stopped the press, and the fast break. SC does not have the ball handlers, or the outside shooters to contend with UConn. Without good ball handlers steals and mismatches hurt SC. I see a lot of turnovers. I maintain UConn by 25+ unless Geno calls off the dogs or UConn has key players injured. Wilson on Stewie I don't think so because if Wilson gets in trouble and sits SC is in trouble.. One other point SC has to come out and guard the perimeter. UConn is to quick. SC does not score a lot of points and I don't see them holding UConn under 70. I don't see SC scoring over 55 again

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I agree Tony, the UConn D will disrupt them and the profusion of weapons on O will confound them.

Reaction Score
I thought from the start of tonight's game that Blair's bigs looked pretty lackluster. I'm missing his implied similarity to ours. On the other hand if DS doesn't consider 'going inside', it will be a long night for her and her charges.

Reaction Score

If the Huskies were to get behind, what makes you think that Stokes wouldn't be in the game. It's quite possible if they got behind, she'd be the remedy for them, since her defensive pressure might initiate a great deal of fast break baskets. Everyone knows that over the years, UConn's defense has been a catalyst for their offense. The fact that SHE doesn't score that much doesn't mean that she isn't a big attribute to the teams offense. How many times has she come in the game and the game tide has turned. Didn't that happen with Notre Dame this year, where she and Morgan and Nurse led the team to victory after the Huskies fell behind early by ten points, 28-18???? The answer is a resounding YES!!!!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn and her troops know a little bit about playing D, themselves, as evidenced by years of top ten defenses, even when we didn't have particularly good teams at USC. Dawn's favorite term is "cut off the head".

Reaction Score
Should it be further rather than farther? I'll have to watch the movie FINDING FORRESTER again, just to be sure.
No, you are correct. Kara needs to watch it tho

Reaction Score
TXam has no real offense to win this game!
SoCar in every game I've seen them play this year seems to play undisciplined BB! they seem to just wing it most of the time and depend on their athleticism for most of their offense!
UCONN being a more disciplined offense will score more and UCONN's best defense in the USA will force SoCar into many to's!
Doris & Dave talking about SoCar talking about UCONN as if it's a normal situation, I think the game being at Gampel when SoCar is basically untested will make a huge difference, first time on the hot seat, shock & awe! Banners & 10,000+ screaming fans will take their toll!
SoCar needs to be more battle tested.
I think Dawn Staley's first time coaching in THE BIG GAME, she's feeling her oats, she's too cocky & arrogant and Geno will take her down a peg or 2!

Reaction Score
Dawn and her troops know a little bit about playing D, themselves, as evidenced by years of top ten defenses, even when we didn't have particularly good teams at USC. Dawn's favorite term is "cut off the head".

You know what happens when you cut the head off of a Hydra?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
South Carolina can make a game of it, if Tuck, Stewart and Stokes get into significant foul trouble that requires them to sit significant minutes on the bench. Have to think South Carolina will attempt to get the ball into their bigs at the beginning of the game to make that happen. If the UConn bigs don't get into foul trouble and are able to score their average points per game, don't see South Carolina winning.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
South Carolina can make a game of it, if Tuck, Stewart and Stokes get into significant foul trouble that requires them to sit significant minutes on the bench. Have to think South Carolina will attempt to get the ball into their bigs at the beginning of the game to make that happen. If the UConn bigs don't get into foul trouble and are able to score their average points per game, don't see South Carolina winning.
I can practically guarantee that Dee Kantner will referee this game. Almost as sure as death and taxes...

Reaction Score
I can practically guarantee that Dee Kantner will referee this game. Almost as sure as death and taxes...
Probably, but I've grown to hate her a lot less in the last couple of years. Seeing her on the list of officials pre-game you knew UConn would be in foul trouble, but that hasn't really been the case recently. So either UConn suddenly got way better at not fouling after being pretty good at it for decades in games that Dee didn't officiate, Dee went to ref improvement school, or the godfather sat her down for a little chat.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Dee is the best in the business. If she had referreed the Alabama Auburn game last week there would have probably been no fight.

Reaction Score

???

Stokes averages about 20 minutes a game. IS that significant minutes she already sits? You think her fouls are going to cause her to sit more than that?

Reaction Score
Dee is the best in the business. If she had referreed the Alabama Auburn game last week there would have probably been no fight.
The best in what business?! As a Tenn LadyVol fan...I can't stand Dee! Lol

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The best in what business?! As a Tenn LadyVol fan...I can't stand Dee! Lol

As a ref. She keeps control of games better than most of the Joe Schmoes and Jane Does who ref in WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom