Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
those tweets are overboard(their fanbase comes off as an insecure bunch on social media) but they've been recruiting him for a minute so they have a right to feel confident. UConn came in later for Larrier while VCU was on him for a minute, VCU got him...UNC & Georgetown came in late for Kenny Williams after VCU was on him for a minute, VCU got him. Wouldn't surprise me if Mack went elsewhere, its way late in the game for an offer.

Reaction Score
They use the Terry Larrier commitment as ammunition, felt like he was their lean the whole time.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
those tweets are overboard(their fanbase comes off as an insecure bunch on social media) but they've been recruiting him for a minute so they have a right to feel confident. UConn came in later for Larrier while VCU was on him for a minute, VCU got him...UNC & Georgetown came in late for Kenny Williams after VCU was on him for a minute, VCU got him. Wouldn't surprise me if Mack went elsewhere, its way late in the game for an offer.

This. The difference is that those are head-to-head battles where VCU were on those guys for at least a year before those schools came in late. Mack seemingly has 9 schools on his list (Georgia, Clemson, Mississippi State, VCU, OK State, Wake Forest, Va Tech, South Carolina, and UConn) and VCU isn't even considered the favorite to get him (that would be Georgia). Let's see how VCU fares against schools that have been recruiting Mack as long as they have, if not, longer.

Reaction Score
Kids change their minds. But, in this game, you have to sell the parents as well. My take is this is "take all your visits" territory. We shall see.

Reaction Score
This. The difference is that those are head-to-head battles where VCU were on those guys for at least a year before those schools came in late. Mack seemingly has 9 schools on his list (Georgia, Clemson, Mississippi State, VCU, OK State, Wake Forest, Va Tech, South Carolina, and UConn) and VCU isn't even considered the favorite to get him (that would be Georgia). Let's see how VCU fares against schools that have been recruiting Mack as long as they have, if not, longer.
What's interesting about his list is that the only program on it that has a national championship in recent memory is UConn, which has 4. Did Wake win one with Duncan ages ago?

My point is, although late to the party, we come with the best goodies. ;)

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
What's interesting about his list is that the only program on it that has a national championship in recent memory is UConn, which has 4. Did Wake win one with Duncan ages ago?

My point is, although late to the party, we come with the best goodies. ;)

Exactly some players will factor in the commitment one school has shown them since the start to be the most important but some also consider other factors to be more important. Playing time is usually the most important to players, but others will look where they will get the most television time, what is the conference competition, the location of the school, best chance to develop their game, nba connections, number of smokeshows at the school etc... It wouldnt be surprising to me if he put UCONN above other schools even with the later offer. You know we have one the best brands of basketball and when your talking to your boys would you rather say I went to UCONN or VCU.. No offense VCU...

Reaction Score
Hopefully Clarke reads the 17 Kosango threads. Just do what you want kid, trust your heart and trust KO.

Reaction Score
This sounds like the most logical scenario yet. He likely had a good visit, but wasn't willing to commit as was hoped for by the staff....at least not yet. Sounds like he, and his advisers, want to make sure that Jones isn't coming here too. So it's either a case of waiting for Jones to commit somewhere...or UConn assuring Clark that they will back off of Jones after a CC commitment. Mack is insurance in case this whole thing blows up.
What could change if in fact Clarke's camp has expressed this concern, is if KO tell them if he commits now they will no longer pursue Jones. Now I don't know if KO will do that. He might have already told them that, or plans to do so soon. As much as I like Jones, if he's bent on waiting till after the fall signing period, I'd take this approach with Clarke, unless they feel that Mack or some other recruits are good enough and still attainable while they wait out Jones. I think the competition for Jones is stiff and he might not be the strong UConn lean they thought he was a month or so ago.

C

Chief00

Thanks Ace. How can one be off when discussing something as fluid as recruiting? ; )

My 'shaky' Davis post.

RE: Ville offer

going on record of ssaying this is not a good development. Will be a dog fight down till the end for Mr. Adams (Hence the E. Davis offer).

Not exactly sure you would call that misinformation. Same scenario here in making a late offer as a contingency plan to force the issue. Worked with Adams, but we'll see with Clarke.

Fluid is a good description of recruiting. It's an art not a science. Having said that we have an usually situation where KO is the coaching interface on too many guys. Ideally head coaches should be seen but their role should be more of a closer - or maybe that is a dated view? But, Newman should be texting an assistant coach not KO. But maybe that's what top players expect today?

Reaction Score
Yes, very nice shooting touch. A strange video for someone his size to not have a single dunk in a highlight video.
And refreshing. All those dunks tell very little.

Reaction Score
Makes complete sense. Unfortunately, this also reaffirms my biggest fear. I see little chance that both Clarke and Jones would both come. I also doubt that Clarke commits before the Jones situation has clarity. The longer Jones takes, the greater the chance is that we miss out on both.
If one commits it is unlikely the other will and we probably don't need both.

Reaction Score
Fluid is a good description of recruiting. It's an art not a science. Having said that we have an usually situation where KO is the coaching interface on too many guys. Ideally head coaches should be seen but their role should be more of a closer - or maybe that is a dated view? But, Newman should be texting an assistant coach not KO. But maybe that's what top players expect today?

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Most elite programs have at least one assistant who is known as a big-time recruiter. Our big-time recruiter is the head coach himself.

The whole "keep it in the family" thing seems to be working out fine thus far, but Ollie's job would be a lot easier if he had another star recruiter on the staff.

Reaction Score
How so? Which major recruits have they brought in?
Probably start with Jalen Adams. Also , they must have assisted with Richard Hamilton's recruitment. Those two aren't too bad.

Reaction Score
Are we still bitching for a "stud recruiter" ? KO loves recruiting and we are on the cusp of a top ten class.

Pretty sure calipari is the main guy recruiting at uk also.

Reaction Score
Are we still bitching for a "stud recruiter" ? KO loves recruiting and we are on the cusp of a top ten class.

Pretty sure calipari is the main guy recruiting at uk also.

Calipari and Kentucky are obviously a match made in recruiting heaven, but Orlando Antigua got a ton of credit for his work on the recruiting trail. And once he left, Calipari instantly stole Slice Rohrssen from Pittsburgh, who is known for his recruiting prowess in NYC.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3222097/kentucky-hires-assistant-coach.html

Reaction Score
Probably start with Jalen Adams. Also , they must have assisted with Richard Hamilton's recruitment. Those two aren't too bad.[/QUOTE

Although Hobbs helped with the Rip recruitment, i think you meant DHam in this case

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie has the best recruiter right now: National Championship Ring... I don't know how anyone can complain about our coaching staff and their recruiting...

Reaction Score
Anyone whining about our assistant coaches recruiting prowess is out of their mind. We have arguably the best coaching staff in the country

Adams is a very nice pickup in the sweet spot just below the very top tier of recruits. Enoch is a sleeper, but a kid they didn't really have to beat out any heavy-hitters for. It's great to be in the mix with the real top flight guys, like KO seems to be, but I don't really get the notion that the staff is laying waste to the recruiting trail.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Adams is a very nice pickup in the sweet spot just below the very top tier of recruits. Enoch is a sleeper, but a kid they didn't really have to beat out any heavy-hitters for. It's great to be in the mix with the real top flight guys, like KO seems to be, but I don't really get the notion that the staff is laying waste to the recruiting trail.
While this is true, I think it's telling that the two local kids we focused on committed early. The first week Enoch broke out the talk was that KU were in for him hard, but as soon as we offered everybody just peaced out. Adams committed early in the summer - right after Louisville started showing interest - because it was no contest.

I think, once KO has a full 4-year cycle at the helm under his belt, we're going to be really, really serious about protecting our turf. I know we already missed out on Heron (2016 swingman), but we're considered strong favorites for the two best 2017s in New England, which is something that was never true under St. Jim.

Given how strong NE basketball is getting after 2 "down" decades, this is a very good sign. It may not be a traditional way of out-recruiting the heavy-hitters, but if it works, and if we can add the occasion top-2o talent on top of the local best (Hamilton, Purvis, maybe Stone?), then I like - love - our chances of remaining an elite, national program.

Reaction Score
Well Adams is basically a top 25. Enoch has exploded onto the scene and very well could continue rising if he takes care of business in nepsac. His rise took place over one camp where he played Zimmerman even . We need one more guy (jones,stone) to really say he is laying waste tho.

Reaction Score
Well Adams is basically a top 25. Enoch has exploded onto the scene and very well could continue rising if he takes care of business in nepsac. His rise took place over one camp where he played Zimmerman even . We need one more guy (jones,stone) to really say he is laying waste tho.

Enoch has "exploded on the scene," sure. But he picked UConn over who? Memphis, BC, Oregon? I'm not saying he's not a good player, but this stuff on here about Ollie and crew dominating the recruiting scene is a little overblown and definitely premature.

Reaction Score
How so? Which major recruits have they brought in?

Not sure if you read all the articles over the summer where this guy was watching this kid at one camp, another at another camp etc etc.........this is a team of good coaches and good guys out there scratching to get the best players. KO is the closer as was JC - Miller was talked about by many recruits and we know Ricky, who just started, got some things going in his some state. You can sit there and say "what major recruits have they brought in" all the hell you want, I think they're all working together to get some real nice classes in the next few years. I will wait to give you the final analysis which you need for whatever reason, but in the meantime I will say again "we underestimate our assistants" and the job they do recruiting. Up to you what you think but I could really give a crap I like our guys and our family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom