Te'a Cooper Verbal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Te'a Cooper Verbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
IMO...Tenn is still the cream of the crop in fan support NATIONWIDE, despite not being in a FF or NC game in 6 years...I'm sure people all over the country love UCONN as well but come on..Tenn is America's team lol...like DD said "Theyre the gold bearer of WCB"...but hasn't went to a FF in 6 years :cool:

TV ratings probably disprove that, but OK. Heck, even guards from TN like UCONN these days (hi Dangerfield). TN simply does not register for players up our way.

And what the hell is a "gold bearer"? Is that someone who brings UCONN's gold medals to the podium?

Reaction Score
I think there is no question UConn is far and away the standard bearer in WCBB..... and it is not even close.....

vs. UT.... 5 undefeated seasons vs one; 9 titles in 29 seasons vs. 8 in 38 yrs for PHS in a time where competition was not as stiff; the unbeaten streaks, no consecutive losses since 1993... 9 and 0 in title games vs. 8 and 5...... it goes on and on......

When I think of UT, I think of Tiger Woods...... With success measured by titles (or major wins), they both have unquestioned talent, they both have been struggling to find the past magic, and they both have been stuck in a rut, with their last titles coming in 2008.... 6 years ago...

I will support AVF in the sense that opinions are great, one's support for one's team is admirable..... and the time will come..... perhaps imminently..... that UT will return to prominance...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
TV ratings probably disprove that, but OK. Heck, even guards from TN like UCONN these days (hi Dangerfield). TN simply does not register for players up our way.

And what the hell is a "gold bearer"? Is that someone who brings UCONN's gold medals to the podium?

How many blue chip WCBB recruits/players come from New England anyway ?? Cant think of many in recent years.

Reaction Score
Here's my two cents.

When Tennessee won titles they did it amongst teams like Texas, USC, ODU, LaTech, Stanford, Auburn, Virginia, Georgia, and later with UConn. The parity was actually much much higher IMO. The level of the game was not but there were more teams at the same level competing back then versus today. Both UConn and Tennessee could have had more titles without injury (i.e., Catchings, Ralph, Parker, Sales) which is scary for the rest of WCBB world to think about. Tennessee still holds the record for most title games, final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens, and tourney appearances and Holly in her first two years is considered to be underachieving with an elite 8 and sweet sixteen loss. Tennessee has and will remain a contender as will UConn post Geno. But there will be hiccups in any transition no matter what program it is.

As for the fan base. I have lived in Spokane, Las Vegas, L.A., Palm Springs, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and central Wisconsin and the amount of Tennessee Lady Vols fans to this day that I know and continue to meet far exceed the amount of any other fan bases I meet regardless of where I'm at (although my travels and moves have not taken me to the Northeast as of yet). When I lived in LA I attended several Sparks games and there were more fans with Lady Vols shirts on than Sparks shirts at some games. I could go through my facebook friends and list over 100 Lady Vols fans I met through just a few Lynx games. Growing up the biggest reason I became more and more a Lady Vols fan is because of how big the family of fans is. When I moved to Palm Desert, CA I met my neighbors a few days after arriving and the first thing I saw was their daughter wearing a Vols baseball shirt and the family are diehard Tennessee fans, especially Lady Vols basketball and softball. So I for one, based on experiences, could never believe the Lady Vols are outnumbered in fans. But I am just one person so I could always be wrong :).

Dangerfield likes Tennessee as does Durr and I have heard it both ways as far as who leads for Durr. I tend to believe it is UConn but I do believe Duke is out of the picture after her interview about the campuses she has visited. She had nice things to say about Tennessee but she summed up Duke as "different." The tone and context lead me to believe Duke is not a strong contender. That could always change though.

Te'a IMO is our most important recruit in recent years because of the snowball effect her verbal could have with other recruits. Diamond and Kalani most specifically. I don't like comparisons to established players but Te'a is often compared to Odyssey because her strength to drive and finish and Prentice Beverly calls her the defensive stalwart of the class. I have high hopes but Tennessee will obviously need a few more pieces to fall into place to even come close to UConn's 15 class.

As for next year Jannah, Jaime, Jordan, and Mercedes and how much they contribute will be the difference between NC hopes and EE hopes. Mercedes apparently had painful bunions that she had operated on a few weeks ago that affected her play so we could she a gigantic jump from her freshmen to sophomore years.

As for UConn, I hope Tuck and Williams are healthy and stay healthy. What a team!

Reaction Score
TP3 = always interesting to get your opinion..... you know i never knew before today about Mercedes' bunions.... why on earth did she play at all last year.... that position requires dexterity and movement.... obviously i am not in tune with her injury, but geez.... I am glad she has chance to recalibrate and start anew this year......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Its all great for WCB and if Holly keeps ephasizing what Pat did, defense and rebounding as well as continue to get our offense better, we'll be at the top. I think its just time for us to all come together and love each other people.
To me, this is the big one. There is no discernible offense at times with the Vols. It seemed to me that when an opponent's defense stiffened and whatever schemes the LVs had been taught weren't possible that the team got flustered. UConnCat is correct about the much-maligned Meighan Simmons - she took a ton of shots, many of them poor choices, but she was the only one that seemed to keep her composure and was willing to keep shooting. Anyway, it seems to me fixing the Tenn offense may be easier said than done.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How many blue chip WCBB recruits/players come from New England anyway ?? Cant think of many in recent years.
UConn's Heather Buck is from CT and there was a kid that went to Stanford a few years ago but you're correct there are few. And there's a reason, but don't get me started on the CT Interscholastic Athletic Conference's weird rules about practice times & scheduling that make it impossible for a kid to get the practice and competition she needs to stand out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
To me, this is the big one. There is no discernible offense at times with the Vols. It seemed to me that when an opponent's defense stiffened and whatever schemes the LVs had been taught weren't possible that the team got flustered. UConnCat is correct about the much-maligned Meighan Simmons - she took a ton of shots, many of them poor choices, but she was the only one that seemed to keep her composure and was willing to keep shooting. Anyway, it seems to me fixing the Tenn offense may be easier said than done.
I agree on the lack of offense but disagree completely about Simmons. She rarely showed composure or discipline. Her shooting was simply the nature of the beast.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with the offensive analysis and I think it really does get down to motion - setting screens and having multiple options off those screens - and that MS was at least willing to try while others seemed to fear failure to the point of inaction.
But I also think the defensive rotations were a problem for TN the past few years - weak side help was slow or nonexistent and I questioned the communication and commitment of some players on that end as well.
Holly has done a good job of keeping the team and program together, but I just haven't seen on the court what I would call the results of good coaching. The players don't seem to know what to do when they get in trouble or how to fix problems on the fly. While news conferences are generally not the best place for analysis, Holly has never given the impression that she actually knew what was going wrong or had a solution for how to fix it. That may just be the media persona, or not?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UConn's Heather Buck is from CT and there was a kid that went to Stanford a few years ago but you're correct there are few. And there's a reason, but don't get me started on the CT Interscholastic Athletic Conference's weird rules about practice times & scheduling that make it impossible for a kid to get the practice and competition she needs to stand out.
If you just limit it to New England, than sure. But consider the Northeast (New England, NY, NJ) and there is plenty of talent up here. UConn gets just about every great NY player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree on the lack of offense but disagree completely about Simmons. She rarely showed composure or discipline. Her shooting was simply the nature of the beast.

I actually think Simmons got a bad rap on here; less nature, more nurture. I feel like, with the right coach and the right system, she could have become a hell of a player. She'd always be a volume scorer of course, but with a coach who could get her good shots and limit the responsibility on her (thereby reducing turnovers) would have been instrumental in her development. TN probably wasn't the right place for her in that, offensively, it didn't provide enough discipline.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
By nature I mean simply she was a shoot first kid, I agree that with the right nurture she might well have developed differently.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
In the field of music, a chorus (or orchestra) has to have a great conductor in the contemporary world to be "great." In order to be really good a conductor has to be able to fix things, and have all kinds of skills to do so. Altos are flat at rehearsal 62...tenors came in too soon. But then beyond all these musical skills and knowing how to fix things, they have to embody the music and draw it out of the group (team), so the players can do their best. It's a useful analogy for me, and I think Geno is great, on both counts.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here's my two cents.

When Tennessee won titles they did it amongst teams like Texas, USC, ODU, LaTech, Stanford, Auburn, Virginia, Georgia, and later with UConn. The parity was actually much much higher IMO. The level of the game was not but there were more teams at the same level competing back then versus today. Both UConn and Tennessee could have had more titles without injury (i.e., Catchings, Ralph, Parker, Sales) which is scary for the rest of WCBB world to think about. Tennessee still holds the record for most title games, final fours, elite eights, sweet sixteens, and tourney appearances and Holly in her first two years is considered to be underachieving with an elite 8 and sweet sixteen loss. Tennessee has and will remain a contender as will UConn post Geno. But there will be hiccups in any transition no matter what program it is.

As for the fan base. I have lived in Spokane, Las Vegas, L.A., Palm Springs, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and central Wisconsin and the amount of Tennessee Lady Vols fans to this day that I know and continue to meet far exceed the amount of any other fan bases I meet regardless of where I'm at (although my travels and moves have not taken me to the Northeast as of yet). When I lived in LA I attended several Sparks games and there were more fans with Lady Vols shirts on than Sparks shirts at some games. I could go through my facebook friends and list over 100 Lady Vols fans I met through just a few Lynx games. Growing up the biggest reason I became more and more a Lady Vols fan is because of how big the family of fans is. When I moved to Palm Desert, CA I met my neighbors a few days after arriving and the first thing I saw was their daughter wearing a Vols baseball shirt and the family are diehard Tennessee fans, especially Lady Vols basketball and softball. So I for one, based on experiences, could never believe the Lady Vols are outnumbered in fans. But I am just one person so I could always be wrong :).

Dangerfield likes Tennessee as does Durr and I have heard it both ways as far as who leads for Durr. I tend to believe it is UConn but I do believe Duke is out of the picture after her interview about the campuses she has visited. She had nice things to say about Tennessee but she summed up Duke as "different." The tone and context lead me to believe Duke is not a strong contender. That could always change though.

Te'a IMO is our most important recruit in recent years because of the snowball effect her verbal could have with other recruits. Diamond and Kalani most specifically. I don't like comparisons to established players but Te'a is often compared to Odyssey because her strength to drive and finish and Prentice Beverly calls her the defensive stalwart of the class. I have high hopes but Tennessee will obviously need a few more pieces to fall into place to even come close to UConn's 15 class.

As for next year Jannah, Jaime, Jordan, and Mercedes and how much they contribute will be the difference between NC hopes and EE hopes. Mercedes apparently had painful bunions that she had operated on a few weeks ago that affected her play so we could she a gigantic jump from her freshmen to sophomore years.

As for UConn, I hope Tuck and Williams are healthy and stay healthy. What a team!
I believe there a more teams at the same level right now and much more talent then there was in Pats era. The difference is UConn has out distanced themselves because of Geno. Pat never was able to do that. UConn is at a level that no other team has attained ever and we may never see this kind of dominance ever again in any sport. Youve got Cooper and I think you get DeShields and I dont think you get Durr however even if you did UConn doesnt need them imo to win 5 more NCs which I believe they will be the preseason number 1 for the next 5 years barring injuries. Tenn does need them to hopefully make the FF and Ive read LV fans posts that refer to that.

Beating UConn is not about having the best talent. Its about knowing how to play the game, limiting your mistakes and being able to execute on offense and defense. Pat tried when she went to see Harry and Holly needs more time and experience as a head coach. Tenn and everybody else are light years away from catching up to what Geno has built. Building a team that is all on the same page, that has the right attitude work ethic and commitment isnt easy. You need to be able to coach and its tuff love and respect. How can Geno go watch top players and say NO to them or say they arent UConn material? Other coaches would die to have those top players. That shows why Geno has his program at a different level and his priorities right. Geno continues to try and make his team better by bringing in the right players not always the best or top players. There is a big difference between the way Geno thinks and runs his programs and everybody else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with the offensive analysis and I think it really does get down to motion - setting screens and having multiple options off those screens - and that MS was at least willing to try while others seemed to fear failure to the point of inaction.
But I also think the defensive rotations were a problem for TN the past few years - weak side help was slow or nonexistent and I questioned the communication and commitment of some players on that end as well.
Holly has done a good job of keeping the team and program together, but I just haven't seen on the court what I would call the results of good coaching. The players don't seem to know what to do when they get in trouble or how to fix problems on the fly. While news conferences are generally not the best place for analysis, Holly has never given the impression that she actually knew what was going wrong or had a solution for how to fix it. That may just be the media persona, or not?

Tennessee was 16th in points scored per possession and 26th in points allowed per possession. So comparatively, their offense was better than their defense last year. (on edit) BTW. UConn was first in each category.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tennessee was 16th in points scored per possession and 26th in points allowed per possession. So comparatively, their offense was better than their defense last year. (on edit) BTW. UConn was first in each category.
I would not call that elite eight territory and certainly not FF territory.

Reaction Score
I believe there a more teams at the same level right now and much more talent then there was in Pats era. The difference is UConn has out distanced themselves because of Geno. Pat never was able to do that. UConn is at a level that no other team has attained ever and we may never see this kind of dominance ever again in any sport. Youve got Cooper and I think you get DeShields and I dont think you get Durr however even if you did UConn doesnt need them imo to win 5 more NCs which I believe they will be the preseason number 1 for the next 5 years barring injuries. Tenn does need them to hopefully make the FF and Ive read LV fans posts that refer to that.

Beating UConn is not about having the best talent. Its about knowing how to play the game, limiting your mistakes and being able to execute on offense and defense. Pat tried when she went to see Harry and Holly needs more time and experience as a head coach. Tenn and everybody else are light years away from catching up to what Geno has built. Building a team that is all on the same page, that has the right attitude work ethic and commitment isnt easy. You need to be able to coach and its tuff love and respect. How can Geno go watch top players and say NO to them or say they arent UConn material? Other coaches would die to have those top players. That shows why Geno has his program at a different level and his priorities right. Geno continues to try and make his team better by bringing in the right players not always the best or top players. There is a big difference between the way Geno thinks and runs his programs and everybody else.

err... Agree to disagree about parity levels. For me it doesn't even come close. I could add in Texas Tech, Purdue, Vanderbilt, and UNC... all teams that were consistently pulling in the same level of talent as Tennessee, often more talent. The biggest difference between UConn and everyone else right now is recruiting. Tennessee has had talent since the Parker days but nobody including Tennessee has come close to the consistent talent level at UConn besides Baylor for a few years. There are a lot of equally talented coaches, but no one is recruiting at Geno's level. I do think Geno is the top coach right now, but Pat was there for a long time and not because there was no competition. She got her teams to beat a lot of teams they had no business beating with a bunch of "cornfed chicks" as many used to call them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Mark my words....Tenn wins the NC next year...

The problem with this prediction is that it doesn't take in to account the remarkable run that Geno and the staff are in the midst of and the cohesion, skill and sheer athleticism of the returning group.

Consider the total destruction of Notre Dame in the finals featuring an inside domination the likes of which has hardly been seen in the college ranks.

Yes, Stef is gone, but this guy is no one-horse Charlie; he's at the top of his game, a brilliant trainer and strategist who has made believers out of a diverse group of super-athletes; four more here or soon to arrive, big powerful, guards, followed by fearsome front-court reinforcements the following season. You can count on him to sort out the best way to make use of the newcomers.

The only concern I have is not the competition, but mental exhaustion as a result of national team responsibilities. And I expect that with the previous stint's experience, he's sorted that as well.

I predict a level of domination the next few years unconceivable in the past.

UTenn has always had fine players and it looks like this years crop perhaps bolstered by the likelihood of DeShields in the following season will make them a formidable team in the next years. But a national championship prediction seems a stretch. I would like to see them defeat Notre Dame, Stanford and Louisville on a regular basis before dreaming of ultimate hoop glory.

I expect more of the same from them; great wins and Ball State but would be pleasantly surprised by a true renewal.

It would be good for the game, especially if they play us regularly, but you have to be a real fan of their's to expect transformation after so much of the same.

Reaction Score
err... Agree to disagree about parity levels. For me it doesn't even come close. I could add in Texas Tech, Purdue, Vanderbilt, and UNC... all teams that were consistently pulling in the same level of talent as Tennessee, often more talent. The biggest difference between UConn and everyone else right now is recruiting. Tennessee has had talent since the Parker days but nobody including Tennessee has come close to the consistent talent level at UConn besides Baylor for a few years. There are a lot of equally talented coaches, but no one is recruiting at Geno's level. I do think Geno is the top coach right now, but Pat was there for a long time and not because there was no competition. She got her teams to beat a lot of teams they had no business beating with a bunch of "cornfed chicks" as many used to call them.

Can you explain these two statements: "There are a lot of equally talented coaches but no one is recruiting at Geno's level " which seems to indicate that UConn is on top because they're getting the best players and " I do think Geno is the top coach right now" which seems to indicate that UConn is on top because Geno is the top coach and they may or may not have the top talent. To me, they are inconsistent.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I respectfully disagree with the Baylor part..... they had two great players..........

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Not really, Geno is the best coach we've ever seen in WCBB. One of the best in basketball period. Pretty sure Geno could have won Championships with at least 5 or 6 teams over the past 5 years (Duke/UNC/Baylor/ND/Stanford...).

Duke in particular has had more All Americans than it knows what to do with.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not really, Geno is the best coach we've ever seen in WCBB. One of the best in basketball period. Pretty sure Geno could have won Championships with at least 5 or 6 teams over the past 5 years (Duke/UNC/Baylor/ND/Stanford...).

Duke in particular has had more All Americans than it knows what to do with

sad_face-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member