TCU got screwed. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TCU got screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hate Rutgers? Hmmmm I'm sure I could find a way...
Thats a "healthy hate" and just another good reason the B1G needs UConn to create the kind of interest again in the eastern wing of the B1G between UMd, RU, PSU and UCONN as now in the major population centers were 1 flagship short of utter dominance here. I'm sure there are many in Connecticut who would also like to give former HCRE and his Md FB team a warm welcome!! Another instant rivalry. UCONN is ready made for the B1G.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TCU didn't get screwed by the NCAA (but maybe by their own league), but they will likely end up ranked #2, and deservedly so. This puts pressure on the Big XII to expand. They knew this was going to happen, everyone did. There are already calls for an 8 team playoff. This is where is was always headed. G5 should get 1 auto-bid to the 8 team playoff.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Dumb logic here. Florida State was a defending champ who hadn't lost in 2 years. They deserved to get in, even if they played badly. TCU did not get screwed, as proven by Ohio State's victory as the 4 seed.

Reaction Score
TCU didn't get screwed by the NCAA (but maybe by their own league), but they will likely end up ranked #2, and deservedly so. This puts pressure on the Big XII to expand. They knew this was going to happen, everyone did. There are already calls for an 8 team playoff. This is where is was always headed. G5 should get 1 auto-bid to the 8 team playoff.

TCU is going to find it nearly impossible to be #2. They beat-up on an overrated #9 Ole Miss team with the rest of their conference, outside of Baylor, doing poorly in Bowl play - K St lost, Oklahoma humiliated, OK St won, Texas hammered, WV lost. They will be ranked behind both Oregon and Ohio St without question because that is the way it is. Plus, TCU will be ranked behind a 2 loss Alabama team because its Alabama and Florida St because they have 1 loss and are the defending champs and were in the playoff. I would not be surprised that they also fall behind a 2 loss Michigan St team because State beat the team that beat TCU, Baylor, the B1G was underrated his year, and their two losses are to the top 2 teams - Oregon away by 19 and home to Ohio St by 8.

pj

Reaction Score
TCU is going to find it nearly impossible to be #2. They beat-up on an overrated #9 Ole Miss team with the rest of their conference, outside of Baylor, doing poorly in Bowl play - K St lost, Oklahoma humiliated, OK St won, Texas hammered, WV lost. They will be ranked behind both Oregon and Ohio St without question because that is the way it is. Plus, TCU will be ranked behind a 2 loss Alabama team because its Alabama and Florida St because they have 1 loss and are the defending champs and were in the playoff. I would not be surprised that they also fall behind a 2 loss Michigan St team because State beat the team that beat TCU, Baylor, the B1G was underrated his year, and their two losses are to the top 2 teams - Oregon away by 19 and home to Ohio St by 8.

I predict TCU will be #3 after Oregon and Ohio State. FSU got embarrassed and Alabama has two losses.

Reaction Score
TCU will finish fourth, behind OU, OSU, and Bama. FSU will slip to 7th. MSU will jump to #6 after their win v Baylor (especially if OSU beats Oregon) with an outside shot of jumping over TCU to 5th.

Reaction Score

The arguments I heard for Florida St. being in the playoff was because they were the champion last season, and they were undefeated. It is not last season any more, and they are no longer undefeated. Most of their wins were close and/or unimpressive come from behind wins against teams that were not even close to be considered for the playoff. TCU should jump ahead of Florida St. in the polls easily.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I predict TCU will be #3 after Oregon and Ohio State. FSU got embarrassed and Alabama has two losses.

Loser of Oregon - OSU has two losses as well.

Reaction Score
Loser of Oregon - OSU has two losses as well.
But they made it to the national championship game. The undefeated 2004 Auburn Tigers started the SEC hype machine. They were not awarded any championship by the main organizations but they still made themselves championship rings!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But they made it to the national championship game. The undefeated 2004 Auburn Tigers started the SEC hype machine. They were not awarded any championship by the main organizations but they still made themselves championship rings!

If the game is close, the loser should be #2. If a blowout, I think there is a case for TCU as #2. I don't think there is case for Bama or FSU over TCU. Old Miss may have been overrated, but they beat Bama.

Reaction Score

I would agree if TCU had beaten a team in the final Top 1o, which they won't as Ole Miss, Oklahoma, and K State all lost and will fall out of the Top 10 while their 1 loss was to Baylor, who may finish in the Top 10. The final poll will heavily favor the 4 playoff teams and I do not see how a 1 loss defending champ in Florida St gets bumped by a 1 loss team that was not even in the playoffs while a 2 loss Alabama team is still an Alabama team, which means the media will vote for them.

Reaction Score
FSU won a bunch of close games against mediocre teams and got embarrassed in their semi-final. The committee can do what they want but no way do I see most people believing they are ahead of TCU. And if OSU takes the same hit they probably should drop to #3. Regardless, the damage is already done and we just won't know what they might have accomplished in the playoff. I think OSU is going to have a really tough time in this game. Maybe not physically but pace and speed.

Reaction Score
FSU won a bunch of close games against mediocre teams and got embarrassed in their semi-final. The committee can do what they want but no way do I see most people believing they are ahead of TCU. And if OSU takes the same hit they probably should drop to #3. Regardless, the damage is already done and we just won't know what they might have accomplished in the playoff. I think OSU is going to have a really tough time in this game. Maybe not physically but pace and speed.

Ok. Meanwhile I distinctly remember OSU and Oregon each playing MSU, and more than most believe OSU had the better performance, in terms of speed and pace as well. OSU is definitely the more physical team. Sure the score difference wasn't the same, but going into East Lansing in damn nasty weather is not easy, especially for a fast team. And boy did OSU let off the gas in the 4th, Oregon never let off the gas, they couldn't - they had a closer ball game going into the 4th.

I don't like FSU, nor Winston, but if Oregon couldn't take advantage of 4 or 5 tos, I lost count, then shame on them. FSU was moving at will when this inexplicable, though very relevant part of the game, exploded on them - damn if that wasn't bad coaching as well. It happens - see OU vs Clemson, WVa vs Clemson a couple years ago. But ultimately Lobster Legs was mostly right, albeit horrible tact, it was more FSU shooting themselves on their feet than Oregon playing unstoppable D, which they didn't. So many teams moved on Oregon with too much comfort this year. They are about to play the fastest, strongest, best coached team they've faced this year - a team with more paper talent as well. OSU has had nothing but top 10 classes since Meyer has arrived, actually top 5 - so them winning shouldn't shock you.

One thing is for certain, OSU finally broke through against the SEC, without violations this time (beat Arkansas in the 2011 Sugar Bowl). Oregon may be due because they have never beaten OSU in football - 8 tries - including a recent Rose Bowl (2010) where the Duck's speed was supposed to wipe them off the face of the earth. These aren't the same Bucks of the Tressel, post-Miami upset, era - which went from recruiting more speed for size and situational football. These Bucks are damn fast and continue to get better each time I see them. I saw them up close against Minnesota and if not for wicked cold temperatures, Minnesota would have lost that game by at least 30 points.

The BIG has a fine history against the Pac12 in bowl games, esp the Rose Bowl or neutral locations, once USC is out of the equation. And damn if USC doesn't have a losing bowl record once hey leave Ca. So I'm reaching some here and putting some emphasis on past history, long term.

But back to the game next Monday, I foresee a close one & would not be remotely surprised to see OSU pull away big, in other words: Bucks win big or Oregon in a close one. I've been wrong plenty. So rub it in if I'm wrong.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The two polls were different analyses of different data sets. They did what they said they'd do.

The team that should have been left out was FSU, but it was never gonna happen. Didn't pass the smell test, computer test, legal test or eye test.
I agree that subjectively FSU would have been the choice to leave out but a simple objective formula of 10pts per win plus 1 for thier wins would show something like - OSU:200, FSU:197, TCU:153. Teams should play thier way in not pose for it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Committee basically said to the Big 12 and ACC that the Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC are guaranteed playoff slots. If TCU couldn't take a spot from a Big 10 team that lost to Virginia Tech in a year when the Big 10 was way down, TCU will never take a spot from a Big 10 team. The rules are probably different for Oklahoma and Texas, but TCU is only going to the playoff if it takes the ACC's spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom