Syracuse Fires Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Fires Coach

Reaction Score
Before joining the Big 10 Penn State was always considered one of the eastern schools. It was a member of the ECAC as were Pitt and WVU. The ECAC at the time was more of an umbrella organization that provided administrative support, officials, thing like that to the northeastern schools. The major ones were independent and those that weren’t were in conferences like the Yankee and the Ivy League that didn’t provide much in terms of administration
I thought Pitt and PSU left in the 70s because they were footing a disproportional amount of the ECAC revenue. PSU was on tv a lot IIRC and ECAC was getting a cut from that. Only Syracuse and BC are the only P4/5 schools that are still in as members.

Reaction Score
Dan Mullen began his career as a GA at Cuse...it would be a good hire for them..

He has coached QB Alex Smith at Utah, Heisman winner Tim Tebow at Florida, and Dak Prescott at Mississippi State...and 2nd rounder Kyle Trask at Florida...

If he can attract and develop a good quarterback that might nean a few extra wins.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My apologies to those offended by my repeatedly posting this opinion, but this exemplifies the futility of our continuing push to “upgrade” the program, so we can join the [fill-in the blank: ACC, Big 10, etc.]. College football in the Northeast (Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, and UConn) cannot consistently compete on a national level.

Even Penn State, long the most dominant program in the Northeast, is barely hanging on. Despite membership in the Big 10, their goal now is simply a top 10-15 ranking and bowl eligibility. They haven’t finished a season ranked in the top 5 since 2005, they’re currently ranked #12, and barring a lot of luck, that means they’ll have finished in the top 10 only four times in the past 10 years.

For the other FBS wanna-be powerhouses in the Northeast, the prospects are bleak.

So what is your solution to crawl into a corner and just die? What I mean is quit football?

Reaction Score
So what is your solution to crawl into a corner and just die? What I mean is quit football?
In the 70s there were some really good northeastern college baseball teams. BC, UConn and Maine all played in the college World Series. Providence was solid too. Then schools started wrapping up the academic year much earlier and the northeastern season ended before it began. It took a while but then they figured it out. Play on the road in warmer climates, get indoor facilities for workouts, play 60 games. Now BC and UConn are annual contenders. PC dropped baseball but BC and UConn are both capable of competing with anybody On a regular basis.

Just like in baseball, UConn and the rest will figure out a way to get competitive again if the decide they want it.

Reaction Score
BC hasn't been to a World Series since Martin Luther King was alive (1967)...Oh...they go to a Regional, but don't make it out. Contender ? Depends on your definition.

Reaction Score
Crawl into a corner and die? No, I want to recognize reality.

In other words, while "major college" football has blown up, in terms of both interest and broadcast-rights income, the FBS schools in the Northeast (especially UConn, Syracuse, and BC) have, at best, been on the perimeter for at least 10-20 years, and I see no way that their prospects going forward are going to change. They've upgraded facilities, hired and fired coaches, switched conferences, hit the transfer portal hard, widened their recruiting areas, pushed their NIL programs, etc., etc., but still have little to show for it. Bottom line, we still get 2* and 3* recruits, and an occasional transfer from a P4 school who simply wasn't good enough to play at that level, like our big-name QB from Penn State. These players just won't get big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete against decent P4 teams.

So let's put on our big boy pants, and say, sorry, we just can't do FBS football at the P4 level. But what we can do, realistically, is stay in FBS but join a non-P4 conference, or we can go back to D-II (what's now FCS). Either way, we can at least be competitive.

Reaction Score

In other words, while "major college" football has blown up, in terms of both interest and broadcast-rights income, the FBS schools in the Northeast (especially UConn, Syracuse, and BC) have, at best, been on the perimeter for at least 10-20 years, and I see no way that their prospects going forward are going to change. They've upgraded facilities, hired and fired coaches, switched conferences, hit the transfer portal hard, widened their recruiting areas, pushed their NIL programs, etc., etc., but still have little to show for it. Bottom line, we still get 2* and 3* recruits, and an occasional transfer from a P4 school who simply wasn't good enough to play at that level, like our big-name QB from Penn State. These players just won't get big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete against decent P4 teams.

So let's put on our big boy pants, and say, sorry, we just can't do FBS football at the P4 level. But what we can do, realistically, is stay in FBS but join a non-P4 conference, or we can go back to D-II (what's now FCS). Either way, we can at least be competitive.
D-II is not what is now FCS. FCS is formerly D-1AA. Then there's D-II, then D-III. And no, UConn will not be dropping to FCS at any time in the near future.

Reaction Score
D-II is not what is now FCS. FCS is formerly D-1AA. Then there's D-II, then D-III. And no, UConn will not be dropping to FCS at any time in the near future.
Okay, thanks for the correction. Then I advocate that we forget about P4 conferences, and try to join a “Group of Five” conference as a football-only member (because there’s no sense in devaluing our national-caliber basketball programs).

Reaction Score
Gotta give credit where credit is due. That's great hire of a HC for Cuse. Mullen is a great coach, just got hosed in the SEC where expectations at schools outside of Bama, Georgia and maybe LSU are out of this reality.

Reaction Score
and he no longer reported to JH
I lose it every time I think of how our athletic future was destroyed by this one issue. Am all about continuing to strive, but the hole that has been dug is unreal. Sad and frustrating.

Reaction Score
Gotta give credit where credit is due. That's great hire of a HC for Cuse. Mullen is a great coach, just got hosed in the SEC where expectations at schools outside of Bama, Georgia and maybe LSU are out of this reality.

Mullen hates recruiting. I would have loved it if Syracuse hired him.

He didn’t get hosed. He was exposed.

Reaction Score

what was your take on UConn basketball during the Ollie years? Downgrade?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Zoo is correct...Mullen didn't like recruiting. Mullen has a good offensive mind, but he was exposed not hosed at Florida.

Reaction Score
Mullen won almost 70% of his games at Florida...but in the SEC, that isn't enough.

You fall fast with a bad season...He had 4 seasons....Inherited a team that was 4-7 the year before and took them to 10-3 and a win over #8 Michigan in the bowl at the end of his first season.

He went to the Peach, Orange, and Cotton bowls...finished AP # 6, 7, and 12....and then went 5-6 and was canned.

Reaction Score
Mullen had one top 10 recruit class his other two were top 20...but...this is the SEC...

Reaction Score
Random thoughts on the above posts. 1. RE said that when college players start getting paid, the game as we know it is gone. AD Dave said that the only thing certain in the college landscape is that nothing is certain. 2. Womens sports are bankrupting most athletic departments. How many of the 350 D-1 WBB make any money ? 3. The state of Iowa has a population 400k less than CT. How is it that they have the resources + talent pool to field two top notch FB programs in Iowa + Iowa ST ? 4. Delaware in moving up to FBS and joining Conference USA. 5. IF Syracuse and BC are are struggling to keep up, how does Temple even survive ?

Reaction Score
what was your take on UConn basketball during the Ollie years? Downgrade?
Entirely different situation!

At that point we'd been a dominant program in the BE for many years and had won 4 NCs, so, no, that was clearly an Ollie problem, not a conference alignment problem. Plus, it's easier to fix basketball problems: we have far more 4* and 5* high school kids within, say, 6 hours, we only need to sign 3 or 4 top 50-75 players, and they just have to mentally commit to spending only 1 or 2 years in Storrs.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Mullen had one top 10 recruit class his other two were top 20...but...this is the SEC...
Right...and top 20 or even top 10 isn't good enough. Especially when your top rival is top 5 year after year.

Biggest mystery to me was why Mullen couldn't get a top quarterback? With his past success of developing QBs and Florida's location and resources...why was Georgia and Alabama...and Ohio state...and Clemson....all getting higher rated quarterbacks?

I think he is a good coach with a good offensive mind. But he needs a strong staff of assistants to be effective on the recruiting front.

Reaction Score
HCRE 1.0 was able to field strong teams on a consistent level, so why couldn’t Mora? All Mora needs is a decent DC and an OC. Things he does not have right now.
HCRE had the benefit of being BCS. Bit different now being outside power structure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom