Syracuse Fires Coach | The Boneyard

Syracuse Fires Coach

Reaction Score
My apologies to those offended by my repeatedly posting this opinion, but this exemplifies the futility of our continuing push to “upgrade” the program, so we can join the [fill-in the blank: ACC, Big 10, etc.]. College football in the Northeast (Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, and UConn) cannot consistently compete on a national level.

Even Penn State, long the most dominant program in the Northeast, is barely hanging on. Despite membership in the Big 10, their goal now is simply a top 10-15 ranking and bowl eligibility. They haven’t finished a season ranked in the top 5 since 2005, they’re currently ranked #12, and barring a lot of luck, that means they’ll have finished in the top 10 only four times in the past 10 years.

For the other FBS wanna-be powerhouses in the Northeast, the prospects are bleak.

Reaction Score
the problem is the northeast schools all put themselves under somebody else's frame. They were never going to service the northeast schools. The ACC is a southern conference. The Big12 is a southern midwest conference. The Big10 is a mid-western conference. They will give lip service to everybody else but they will not serve them. Each one of them are outsiders.

Reaction Score
My apologies to those offended by my repeatedly posting this opinion, but this exemplifies the futility of our continuing push to “upgrade” the program, so we can join the [fill-in the blank: ACC, Big 10, etc.]. College football in the Northeast (Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, and UConn) cannot consistently compete on a national level.

Even Penn State, long the most dominant program in the Northeast, is barely hanging on. Despite membership in the Big 10, their goal now is simply a top 10-15 ranking and bowl eligibility. They haven’t finished a season ranked in the top 5 since 2005, they’re currently ranked #12, and barring a lot of luck, that means they’ll have finished in the top 10 only four times in the past 10 years.

For the other FBS wanna-be powerhouses in the Northeast, the prospects are bleak.

Finishing in the top 10-15 year after year is "barely hanging on"?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

We don't need to finish in the top 10 or 20 for that matter (although an occasional ranking would be nice). We just need to NOT finish in the bottom half of the FBS.

Reaction Score
Finishing in the top 10-15 year after year is "barely hanging on"?
By Penn State standards? You bet that’s barely hanging on! Basically Penn State sucks up most of the best talent in the Northeast, plus Ohio and West Virginia.

Even so, at this point, I don’t foresee a statue of James Franklin going up next to Paterno. As you can see below, his record against top teams is not great.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Truth is the only program that has upgraded by moving from the BE has been Louisville, even a AD level meltdown hasn't hurt them that badly. We'll see how WV does in a watered down B12. All of the northeast schools have become irrelevant, but at least they are flush with cash. UConn would be better off joining them. At least we could still be best among that group. I think a Hurley led UConn/ACC program would do just fine in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Big difference between "barely hanging on" and the ~10 wins per season not meeting unreasonable expectations.
In his last 4 years, Paterno won 38 games; over the past 4 seasons, Franklin has won 33 games. As indicated above, now they only occasionally finish in the top 10, and they haven’t done well against other top 10 teams.

So if you believe that “barely hanging on” is exaggerated, would you at least agree that they’ve significantly declined?

And, again, my main point was not about Penn State, which continues to be the best program in the region, but about how much major college, “Eastern” football has declined, to the point that I question the wisdom of our trying to join a P4 conference.

Reaction Score

HCRE 1.0 was able to field strong teams on a consistent level, so why couldn’t Mora? All Mora needs is a decent DC and an OC. Things he does not have right now.

Reaction Score
Truth is the only program that has upgraded by moving from the BE has been Louisville, even a AD level meltdown hasn't hurt them that badly. We'll see how WV does in a watered down B12. All of the northeast schools have become irrelevant, but at least they are flush with cash. UConn would be better off joining them. At least we could still be best among that group. I think a Hurley led UConn/ACC program would do just fine in the ACC.
Your prediction appears to be 100% accurate. The ex-BE schools have some of the lowest revenues in the ACC and are competitive mainly with the other bottom dwellers in the ACC.

Would most fans be satisfied with finishing in the bottom half of the ACC most years? Since joining the ACC in 2013, Syracuse has finished second in the division (not the conference) twice, and has played in the Texas Bowl, the Camping World Bowl, and the Pinstripe Bowl. Is that enough?

Reaction Score
HCRE 1.0 was able to field strong teams on a consistent level, so why couldn’t Mora? All Mora needs is a decent DC and an OC. Things he does not have right now.
Sure, that’s all that 50 or 60 other head coaches need, right?

And don’t forget that HCRE 1.0 ended in 2010, and that we were then in the BE, which was never really a “major” football conference (as evidenced by our 48-20 beatdown by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, ending the term of HCRE 1.0).

Reaction Score
the problem is the northeast schools all put themselves under somebody else's frame. They were never going to service the northeast schools. The ACC is a southern conference. The Big12 is a southern midwest conference. The Big10 is a mid-western conference. They will give lip service to everybody else but they will not serve them. Each one of them are outsiders.
....which leads to something I mentioned in another thread...and it sounds more like somebody needs to find a way to make it happen. Create a FBS conference for Northeast schools that already have FBS football programs... seems to make a lot of sense; nobody seem too thrilled about it. Instead, we continuously operate as wannabes....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sure, that’s all that 50 or 60 other head coaches need, right?

And don’t forget that HCRE 1.0 ended in 2010, and that we were then in the BE, which was never really a “major” football conference (as evidenced by our 48-20 beatdown by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, ending the term of HCRE 1.0).
the Oklahoma defeat had NOTHING to do with HCRE leaving
NONE

Huskyfanohio

huskies fan windsor
Reaction Score
....which leads to something I mentioned in another thread...and it sounds more like somebody needs to find a way to make it happen. Create a FBS conference for Northeast schools that already have FBS football programs... seems to make a lot of sense; nobody seem too thrilled about it. Instead, we continuously operate as wannabes....
I agree if we can get a football deal with bc Syracuse, UConn, Buffalo, umass, jmu, Delaware, Marshall,duke, ecu, nc state and nc

Reaction Score

Well some of that is true but how do you explain, oh I don’t know, Texas. Have 1 top 10 finish since 2009 9th in 2018, and 4 Top 25 finishes in that same period. They can’t compete with the B12 never mind the SEC. Or Texas A&M with 6 rankings since 2000. I guess Texas isn’t really a football area. Those Teams can’t consistently compete ona national level. Oh sure once in a while they are a border line program but really Texas, the crown jewel of the Southwest has been nowhere near a major program for 2 decades. A&M has been the same. And my guess is they won’t be any better in the SEC. Well, we know A&M can’t compete. Texas won’t either.

Reaction Score
Edsall had the BE to recruit and no NIL. It's a different day. Not saying Mora can't do it...but it's apples and oranges.
……and so did Boston College, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia, and National Champion Miami. As a matter of fact, Miami football was better when it was in the Big East, once it joined the ACC it wasn’t so great. For that matter Penn State recruited in the area too and had 11 win seasons 7 times since the early 2000’s. I will admit that Florida, Texas and California are in general the best producers of college football talent, but that doesn’t always transfer into a strong college team. Coaching is just as important if not much more so. In general I think Amish Boy’s premise is a load of horse manure.

Reaction Score
Screw Syracuse

Penn State is the worst kind of disgrace and should have been abolished so screw them too

It seems the SEC is actually the cleanest conference going, now that it's legal to pay players

Reaction Score

Run along back to the basketball board.

Reaction Score
the Oklahoma defeat had NOTHING to do with HCRE leaving
NONE
Yes, I’m aware of that, but, of course, Edsall immediately recognized that moving to Maryland, and the Big 10, was a step up.

Reaction Score
Well some of that is true but how do you explain, oh I don’t know, Texas. Have 1 top 10 finish since 2009 9th in 2018, and 4 Top 25 finishes in that same period. They can’t compete with the B12 never mind the SEC. Or Texas A&M with 6 rankings since 2000. I guess Texas isn’t really a football area. Those Teams can’t consistently compete ona national level. Oh sure once in a while they are a border line program but really Texas, the crown jewel of the Southwest has been nowhere near a major program for 2 decades. A&M has been the same. And my guess is they won’t be any better in the SEC. Well, we know A&M can’t compete. Texas won’t either.
“explain” Texas? I have no idea why Texas has declined so much, but I wasn’t arguing that programs in other parts of the country would never change.

My point was that Eastern football hasn’t been strong, on the national level, for decades, and despite the onset of the FBS playoff system (and accompanying millions of dollars), there’s little reason to believe things will improve. So why do we believe that UConn can, somehow, succeed in producing a consistently competitive program?

[Or is our real goal just to be like BC and Syracuse? Get into the ACC, stack up enough wins every year, by scheduling FCS teams and beating the other second-tier teams in the conference, to become bowl-eligible, and get invited to the Myrtle Beach Bowl?]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom