SYR-DUKE - rekindles conference Frustration | The Boneyard

SYR-DUKE - rekindles conference Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't Help but be frustrated that we are not in the ACC right now and we won't have regular season games like we saw with Duke and Cuse tonight. Its sickening reading the tweets about how great it is that Cuse and Duke are now in the same conference. It should have been Cuse and Us (not Pitt - F....g BC) who got in a couple years back. I know we have 3 NC championships and so Far Ollie has been able to keep the Program on the right path but it will be very hard to remain elite in the AAC. Somehow - Someway - we have to get into a power conference. We are UCONN!

Reaction Score
It's funny you bring this up.

While watching the women's team clobber a terrible Cincinnati team today 86-29, I was comforted by the fact that at least this team will be able to play Louisville soon to at least test them for the tournament. Than I realized, Louisville is gone next year. So is Rutgers.

The women's team, arguably one of the greatest dynasties in sport, will be in a league with complete and total garbage. Not a single other team will be ranked. Heck I don't think any of them currently have winning records. At least the men's team will have Cincinnati and Memphis around. No matter how good Auriemma is that league will start to effect recruiting. If it doesn't he deserves another raise. I would never play in that league as a top player.

Whenever you start to come to grips with conference expansion, these realities creep into your mind. It is scary. It is frustrating. And very depressing.

Reaction Score
Living down here in NC for the last 10 yrs, it was always a dream to have Uconn move to the ACC. I never imagined that we would be on the outside looking in stuck in a no name crap conference...i mean, even freaking Rutgers gets to go to the BIG, its just not fair. I am very fearful for the Huskies in the future. UCONN belongs in the ACC playing marquee games against unc, duke and cuse. I really am jealous.

Reaction Score

While watching the women's team clobber a terrible Cincinnati team today 86-29, I was comforted by the fact that at least this team will be able to play Louisville soon to at least test them for the tournament. Than I realized, Louisville is gone next year. So is Rutgers.

The women's team, arguably one of the greatest dynasties in sport, will be in a league with complete and total garbage. Not a single other team will be ranked. Heck I don't think any of them currently have winning records. At least the men's team will have Cincinnati and Memphis around. No matter how good Auriemma is that league will start to effect recruiting. If it doesn't he deserves another raise. I would never play in that league as a top player.

Whenever you start to come to grips with conference expansion, these realities creep into your mind. It is scary. It is frustrating. And very depressing.
Responsibility for building AAC basketball rest on our broad shoulders.
If we reman in the NC hunt picture every year good players and more importantly good coaches will be attracted to our conference. It won't be easy but it may be what we have to do to survive. There are a number of good programs and afew with potentential.
"As rising tide lifts all ships" we are that rising tide.

Reaction Score
"Jealous" - thats the word I meant to use in my original post. Thats how I felt watching the Duke-Syracuse game. Jealous and Frustrated sums up my feelings

Reaction Score
I really wish we could be in the ACC too. Sucks we don't get to be a part of the fun. The only thing that could negate all of this is if we just win the damn NC. Lets do it.

Reaction Score
Weird to defend duke but they got hosed with the no foul call on the dunk wth four seconds left.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Responsibility for building AAC basketball rest on our broad shoulders.
If we reman in the NC hunt picture every year good players and more importantly good coaches will be attracted to our conference. It won't be easy but it may be what we have to do to survive. There are a number of good programs and afew with potentential.
"As rising tide lifts all ships" we are that rising tide.
The BE conference was UConn and no one else until Vivian Stringer came to Rutgers. Women's bb powers were in the SEC, Stanford, Penn State., Virginia and La Tech until Geno turned the program around. His success brought excitement to the league and universities started hiring better coaches. There is no reason it can't happen a second time. Although I'm convinced UConn won't be in the AAC that long.

I'm not jealous at all about UConn's situation. Or fearful for that matter. I see considerable success for UConn in the future both academically and athletically.

Reaction Score
Yup - I'm seriously considering pulling a Rip Van Winkle with the current situation and praying I wake up and see something that resembles a real college basketball conference for this program. Tuning in now and seeing the AAC matchups and then Duke/Syracuse go to O/T is just depressing. The cosmic shock on not being invited into the ACC will likely not subdue until we actually get into a real conference. As a sports fan, it may be the most disappointing event I've experienced. There is no Uconn loss worse, Pats losing a Superbowl, whatever. This takes the cake. It's like losing a big game every day of the season.

Reaction Score
...and the refs are still missing calls.
I hate to stick up for Duke because they have made a history out of fooling refs on ridiculous calls and no doubt teach it every practice.

But Parkers 5th foul was a complete and utter joke and likely cost Duke the game.

Reaction Score
Yup - I'm seriously considering pulling a Rip Van Winkle with the current situation and praying I wake up and see something that resembles a real college basketball conference for this program. Tuning in now and seeing the AAC matchups and then Duke/Syracuse go to O/T is just depressing. The cosmic shock on not being invited into the ACC will likely not subdue until we actually get into a real conference. As a sports fan, it may be the most disappointing event I've experienced. There is no Uconn loss worse, Pats losing a Superbowl, whatever. This takes the cake. It's like losing a big game every day of the season.

Cheezus! Get a grip everyone.

Reaction Score
Bunch of Whiners and Drama queens.

I don't see how long you can carry this on. The ONLY thing that can change this is what we are doing ... focus on pushing the Academic structure higher & higher (thank you Pres Herbst ... more than any other in my 40 years of watching this); and keep beating the snot out of all comers.

There is absolutely nothing Manual could of Out-Jurich'd our way into the ACC last time. I am absolutely convinced that we are a far more valuable franchise than Pitt or Syracuse or BC ... but NOW we really have to prove it. And my biggest question is whether the curmodgeounous fan base has lost its juice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The other AAC teams will benefit by in a conference with us but it will take some time.

Reaction Score
Bunch of Whiners and Drama queens.

I don't see how long you can carry this on. The ONLY thing that can change this is what we are doing ... focus on pushing the Academic structure higher & higher (thank you Pres Herbst ... more than any other in my 40 years of watching this); and keep beating the snot out of all comers.

There is absolutely nothing Manual could of Out-Jurich'd our way into the ACC last time. I am absolutely convinced that we are a far more valuable franchise than Pitt or Syracuse or BC ... but NOW we really have to prove it. And my biggest question is whether the curmodgeounous fan base has lost its juice.
That Manuel was looking elsewhere, and you can't blame him, is very telling about the future of UConn. He is desperate to get to a P5 conference for himself, although he publicly stated that he is done with conference realignment as far as UConn is concerned. It is only after he was rejected by VT that he pledged allegiance for now. In my opinion, that move was very telling about the low probability of UConn getting to major status again. If UConn was anywhere near getting to a P5 conference, he would not have even considered leaving. All of the academic improvements mean nothing in the long run for UConn athletics.(Look at Louisville's academic standing). How can UConn possibly prove it's worth any more than it already has? The deck was stacked. The previous administration and the current administration have fumbled the ball on CR and we are all the victims of their negligence.

Reaction Score

Connecticut women's basketball will not be affected at all for as long as Geno is there. Hopefully he does not leave, retire, etc on these transition years. If he is in Connecticut, then Connecticut will be a top 5 team. No doubt, whether weak conference or not. Connecticut is THE program that every girl wants to play on, and the program that every other teams needs to play against to legitimize their schedule. I mean, c'mon, look at them right now- Dominating, still undefeated, played a fantastic OOC schedule.

Every OOC top team next year will probably want to schedule a game with Connecticut next year (meaning strong SOS).

the same probably would've been the case for MBB if Calhoun wouldve stayed to help us through this CR transition...but the retirement was bad timing with this CR ... nonetheless. MBB should be fine

Sometimes I don't understand Connecticut fans. Its like the fan base doesn't see how big time Connecticut basketball is yet you expect other people to believe you are big time... some weird inferiority complex

Reaction Score
buddy said:
That Manuel was looking elsewhere, and you can't blame him, is very telling about the future of UConn. He is desperate to get to a P5 conference for himself, although he publicly stated that he is done with conference realignment as far as UConn is concerned. It is only after he was rejected by VT that he pledged allegiance for now. In my opinion, that move was very telling about the low probability of UConn getting to major status again. If UConn was anywhere near getting to a P5 conference, he would not have even considered leaving. All of the academic improvements mean nothing in the long run for UConn athletics.(Look at Louisville's academic standing). How can UConn possibly prove it's worth any more than it already has? The deck was stacked. The previous administration and the current administration have fumbled the ball on CR and we are all the victims of their negligence.

So you just went ahead and completely ignored the fact Manuel refuted the story of him being involved in the Virginia tech AD search to fit your narrative?

Reaction Score
So you just went ahead and completely ignored the fact Manuel refuted the story of him being involved in the Virginia tech AD search to fit your narrative?
Do you really think that he would announce to the public that he was involved when he did not get the job? He probably had representatives negotiating for him there, but when he was eliminated from contention, then he announced that the rumor was not true. Don't believe it for a minute that he was not a candidate for that job.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Do you really think that he would announce to the public that he was involved when he did not get the job? He probably had representatives negotiating for him there, but when he was eliminated from contention, then he announced that the rumor was not true. Don't believe it for a minute that he was not a candidate for that job.
Have there been leaks from VT that substantiates your assertions? WM may not want to disclose things but someone at VT would have leaked who the candidates were. I think you are neglecting this.

Reaction Score
buddy said:

"I am not a candidate, have not been interviewed nor have I been contacted by Virginia tech..."

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
So I guess Cincy, has given up on joining a P5. Glad there's one less school in our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom