Susan Herbst just got a BiG time extension | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Susan Herbst just got a BiG time extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She's our president at the time of a $2 BILLION grant to our university. I don't think she had nothing to do with that. As others have said, her vision of the university has been great, and we really should all step out of our sports world and look at that bigger picture. UConn is set up for a big jump as a school, which is really what this is ultimately about. Yeah, it's great to talk about basketball, but my degree in 10 years will be looking way better than it does now, which is saying a lot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll be the contrarian on this thread.

I've pondered it a little bit, and I think it was the wrong thing for the BOT to do. I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve a raise. From most reports that I've seen, she's making a lot of the right moves for our university, from a science and business standpoint, from a university collaboration standpoint, etc. But a raise of 20%, on the heels of the announcement of tuition increases of 6.5% at Storrs and 4% for medical / dental schools, indeed sends the wrong message. Especially after receiving a 5% increase last year.

If the increase was something like a 5% increase, or maybe even 10%, I don't think you would hear anyone complain. But I do believe that a 20% raise is excessive at a time where UConn is asking much more from the families of students and taxpayers. I will now accept a rain of hellfire from the BY members...

Reaction Score
I'm not going to get into any childish name calling game with you. All I'm pointing out is that a University President is not getting bonuses on whether UCONN gets into a P5 conference. It's a ridiculous thought. Now if Herbst gets UCONN into the AAU and academics plus research steadily improves, then she'll likely get bonuses for hitting those types of performance metrics.
Could not disagree more...if she leads my University into a collection of like minded universities that take there academics as seriously as their athletics, as an alum and a state taxpayer, she would deserve a kings ransom..

And for presidents/administrators not getting bonuses tied to athletic achievement, please...the state of Alabama is litterly dumping $$ into the pockets of UA and Auburn leadership (while closing UAB)

Totally naive to believe that presidents around the country are not getting paid for athletic achievement in the Power Sports that translate to increased enrollement, endowment, and public relations...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I've pondered it a little bit, and I think it was the wrong thing for the BOT to do. I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve a raise. From most reports that I've seen, she's making a lot of the right moves for our university, from a science and business standpoint, from a university collaboration standpoint, etc. But a raise of 20%, on the heels of the announcement of tuition increases of 6.5% at Storrs and 4% for medical / dental schools, indeed sends the wrong message. Especially after receiving a 5% increase last year.

If the increase was something like a 5% increase, or maybe even 10%, I don't think you would hear anyone complain. But I do believe that a 20% raise is excessive at a time where UConn is asking much more from the families of students and taxpayers. I will now accept a rain of hellfire from the BY members...

You won't get hell fire, but I will say that it is a simplistic way to look at things.

A has nothing to do with B and if you let B impact A, you may wind up having to hire C to replace A when A follows the market elsewhere.

Symbolic gestures are bad business.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You won't get hell fire, but I will say that it is a simplistic way to look at things.

A has nothing to do with B and if you let B impact A, you may wind up having to hire C to replace A when A follows the market elsewhere.

Symbolic gestures are bad business.

Symbolic gestures are often good business, in fact.

But I'm not asking Susan Herbst to make a symbolic gesture. What I'm wondering is why the board felt the timing was right for a 20% increase, on the heels of such marked increases for tuition across our campuses. I suppose the one fact that keeps me from posing a stronger opposition is the fact that she was making 25k less base pay than Pres. Hogan was in 2011 prior to the raise. She is now making 35k more base pay after the raise becomes effective. But let's all be honest; a 60k base pay increase, a year after someone received a 25k base pay increase, is excessive.

Well, at least I'll take solace in the fact that she seems to be doing a very good job. I would like to see continued measures taken in the near future to ensure that UConn remains affordable for the people of Connecticut...

pj

Reaction Score
What I'm wondering is why the board felt the timing was right for a 20% increase, on the heels of such marked increases for tuition across our campuses.

Budget time is budget time. You look at both revenue and expenses. President's salary is a significant expense. If you're going to spend more you need to show where the revenue will come to make the books balance. So the raise happens at the same time as the revenue increases.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Budget time is budget time. You look at both revenue and expenses. President's salary is a significant expense. If you're going to spend more you need to show where the revenue will come to make the books balance. So the raise happens at the same time as the revenue increases.

When I said "timing", I wasn't literally saying, "Why this week?" Budget time is indeed budget time. I was saying, "Why, during this period when tuition hikes are some of the greatest they have ever been at UConn?" Revenue increases clearly haven't been enough to offset that, otherwise, we wouldn't be having a tuition hike...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

But I'm not asking Susan Herbst to make a symbolic gesture. What I'm wondering is why the board felt the timing was right for a 20% increase, on the heels of such marked increases for tuition across our campuses. I suppose the one fact that keeps me from posing a stronger opposition is the fact that she was making 25k less base pay than Pres. Hogan was in 2011 prior to the raise. She is now making 35k more base pay after the raise becomes effective. But let's all be honest; a 60k base pay increase, a year after someone received a 25k base pay increase, is excessive.

Well, at least I'll take solace in the fact that she seems to be doing a very good job. I would like to see continued measures taken in the near future to ensure that UConn remains affordable for the people of Connecticut...
Still very affordable for CT residents. For us out of staters, not so much.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Still very affordable for CT residents. For us out of staters, not so much.

I really do feel for the out-of-staters. UConn has become extremely expensive to those outside of the state borders. But "very affordable" is not a description I would use for UConn today. It has been 17 years since my graduation, and the cost has more than doubled. Is it still much cheaper than most private schools? Yes. Is it a high quality education? Yes. Is it very affordable? At 28k in-state, unfortunately not...

http://financialaid.uconn.edu/cost/

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really do feel for the out-of-staters. UConn has become extremely expensive to those outside of the state borders. But "very affordable" is not a description I would use for UConn today. It has been 17 years since my graduation, and the cost has more than doubled. Is it still much cheaper than most private schools? Yes. Is it a high quality education? Yes. Is it very affordable? At 28k in-state, unfortunately not...

Fair enough. Compared to shelling out$60k for a private, it looks good though.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that current higher student tuition and fees should govern whether the Board of Trustees recognizes the significant accomplishments of Susan Herbst and the competitive realities of higher education. Consider this--John Lahey is paid $3.7 million as President of Quinnipiac! I realize they are a private school but please. Actually, Herbst's raise should have been even larger---to put her and UConn among the bigger players in public academia, where they belong. Besides, she's earned it. She's one of the best in the nation. Take away behemoths like Ohio St. and Michigan, the presidents of schools like Iowa and Indiana make over $1M in salary, before all the perks. She's the best President UConn has had since Homer Babbidge. We need to make sure she stays. There's lots to accomplish. I want her strong, smart, steady and impatient hand at the helm of UConn for years to come.

Reaction Score

That's reasonable and it could create some bad PR for UConn. But, what I do not have on-hand is what the median salary is for a top 20 public research university. Prior to this raise, if she was in the bottom quartile, which is common for a new hire, and after several years of good performance, this raise pushed into the top half or even top quartile, it's a sound business decision even if it looks questionable to outsiders.

Reaction Score
I don't care about her percentage increase. How does her salary compare to her peers? She is much more visible than previous presidents and sure, much of that is due to social media. But she seems to be doing a fine job and if she guides UCONN to AAU and the B1G, she deserves much much more, and not a dime back.

Reaction Score

For better or worse, UConn exists in a very expensive part of the county and thus the tuition costs are going to be higher than most other state universities outside of the region. Connecticut's overall financial issues are not helping either.

In addition, outside of the Northeast, most state U's are not also competing with top tier, neighboring private universities. As CT is very small for a state in terms of landmass compared to everywhere else outside of the Northeast, I'll look at New England as a whole and assume UConn is the leading state flagship university for the region. In Illinois, which is about equal to New England's population (NE 14.6 million to IL 12.8 million) and is somewhat smaller geographically (NE 71K sq miles v IL 58K sq miles), US News (2014), lists U Illinois as the 42nd best national university. Within Illinois, Illinois is the 3rd best national university after just U Chicago and Northwestern. In New England, UConn, which is ranked #58 nationally, there are 10 national universities ranked ahead of UConn and they are all private (Harvard, Yale, MIT, Dartmouth, Brown, Tufts, BC, Brandeis, Boston U, Northeastern). Plus, UConn from an undergraduate academic recruiting perspective also has to deal with 13 of the top 50 nationally ranked liberal arts colleges also located in New England. Illinois has none. That is the market that UConn is dealing with in terms of students and faculty costs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Michigan just agreed to pay their FB coach roughly 50M. Why? because the market demanded it. If you think Susan is worth keeping, then it is worth paying what it takes to keep her. This isn't a difficult concept. The timing is to fend off other suitors or preempt the expiration of her current contract.

Conspiracy Kitty might say that her B1G friends might want to know she be around for a bit longer, but I think he's started NYE a bit early.

Reaction Score

Doing the math in my head so I may have the numbers slightly off, but I believe that is comfortably less than a 25 percent increase in real dollars. When you factor in the increase in financial aid over that same period, and with currency depreciation, I am not so sure that uconn is really any more expensive to the average student today than it was when you were in school.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Doing the math in my head so I may have the numbers slightly off, but I believe that is comfortably less than a 25 percent increase in real dollars. When you factor in the increase in financial aid over that same period, and with currency depreciation, I am not so sure that uconn is really any more expensive to the average student today than it was when you were in school.

I'm not sure at all where you're coming from on this comment.

There is no way on earth that the "real cost" is that much less than the mathematical cost. The reason I can safely say that is because wages have been relatively stagnant over that time period. Couple that with a diminished purchasing power, and you are going to need a LOT of help in the financial aid arena to make up the difference. Keep in mind that I was no stranger to financial aid either. Some of my best friends in college were named Pell, Stafford, and Sallie Mae...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Michigan just agreed to pay their FB coach roughly 50M. Why? because the market demanded it.

Your point needs to be qualified.

Michigan just agreed to pay their FB coach roughly 50M (over the course of his contract) because they believe that his ability to generate revenue will be much greater than his predecessor. Are they right? We'll see. But if you are trying to apply that argument to Susan Herbst and her role, then one would have to argue that her ability to generate money for the university is greater than her peers. Is UConn right? We'll see. But what is known at this current time is that we were running a deficit earlier in the year that sparked cutbacks in certain areas and an increase in tuition of 6.5% to cover.

Others have mentioned that she may or may not be properly compensated against her peers prior to the raise. I think that is a fair point. I haven't done the research on what other similarly sized or similarly respected public institutions are paying. It's probably something I'll try to do over the next few days in my spare time instead of playing Chessmaster on the computer. All I currently have to compare her with was the salary of President Hogan from 3 years ago, which she will surpass...

Reaction Score
sloppy math on my part. 31% of the increase is not explained by inflation ( if you assume 1.025 ^ 17 ). So the real cost increase is about 31%, in today dollars if tuition just doubled in the last 17 years. No idea if financial aid has grown at the same rate as tuition. Tried searching for the data but ran out of steam.

Reaction Score
1 quick google search for comparison: http://www.nj.com/education/2014/05...ake_list_of_highest-paid_college_leaders.html
In addition to Gee, the top five highest-paid college leaders were: R. Bowen Loftin, of Texas A&M University at College Station ($1,636,274); Hamid A. Shirvani, of the North Dakota University system ($1,311,095); Renu Khator, of the University of Houston main campus ($1,266,000); and Sally K. Mason, of the University of Iowa (Iowa), $1,139,705. Loftin and Shirvani have since left office.

Ranking No. 6 through No. 10 were: Michael A. McRobbie, of Indiana University at Bloomington ($1,111,924); Michael F. Adams, of the University of Georgia ($1,074,869); V. Gordon Moulton, of the University of South Alabama ($1,072,121); Mary Sue Coleman, of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor ($1,037,357) and Mark G. Yudof, of the University of California system ($857,085). Adams, Moulton and Yudof recently stepped down.

Two New Jersey college leaders made the top 100 list: New Jersey Institute of Technology President Joel Bloom ranked 67th with a total compensation of $566,280 and Rutgers University President Robert Barchi ranked 72nd with a total compensation of $551,669. However, Barchi's ranking was based on a portion of his yearly salary because he took office in September, 2012.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

She makes a lot less than Geno and is far more valuable to the school. End of story.

Reaction Score
@uconnndan97, sounds like state politicos agree with you. I tend to think if they don't compensate her they run the real risk of losing her to somewhere else. I've read articles where other school presidents are pointing to UConn as the model going forward as to how get research dollars in the absence of federal money. I think if you want to keep her you have to do this.

http://www.theday.com/article/20141231/NWS12/141239977/1047/rss01

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
sloppy math on my part. 31% of the increase is not explained by inflation ( if you assume 1.025 ^ 17 ). So the real cost increase is about 31%, in today dollars if tuition just doubled in the last 17 years. No idea if financial aid has grown at the same rate as tuition. Tried searching for the data but ran out of steam.

You are trying to correct for inflation, but you have not corrected for the fact that wages have been stagnant over the same period. In other words, people's salaries as a whole have not kept up with inflation. Therefore you cannot use a correction (or you have to at least "correct" the correction). The vast majority of the cost increase is real...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
She makes a lot less than Geno and is far more valuable to the school. End of story.

That would be the end of the story if you could actually back that up with figures...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
@uconnndan97, sounds like state politicos agree with you. I tend to think if they don't compensate her they run the real risk of losing her to somewhere else. I've read articles where other school presidents are pointing to UConn as the model going forward as to how get research dollars in the absence of federal money. I think if you want to keep her you have to do this.

http://www.theday.com/article/20141231/NWS12/141239977/1047/rss01

So state Republicans and Democrats are both agreeing with me??? Well, that pretty much convinces me that I'm wrong... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom