OT: - Super Bowl potpourri | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Super Bowl potpourri

Reaction Score
Because people get set into their music choices when young.
That’s not true at all. All the pop stuff I am familiar with and like is what I heard in high school and college. My DJ for my wedding, credit to him, asked my fiancé and I when we graduated from high school to help with music selection; he said he goes 5 years prior and beyond said year. So basically what came out when someone was 13 to 23.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That’s not true at all. All the pop stuff I am familiar with and like is what I heard in high school and college. My DJ for my wedding, credit to him, asked my fiancé and I when we graduated from high school to help with music selection; he said he goes 5 years prior and beyond said year.
Yes, and except for two years of Boomers, they were out of college by 1984. I'm Gen X and I graduated HS in 84. Purple Rain was a very big thing. The 80's and early 90's are the Gen-X decade culturally. The Breakfast Club is the most Gen-X movie of all time. So sure, very late boomers probably like Prince. Early boomers graduated HS in 1968. For me, I go about 20 years prior and 5 years beyond.

Edit: I think the perception of "Boomer" varies. For younger people they are probably seen as older, boring people that aren't cool. When I think Boomer, I think of my babysitters when I was a kid. My neighbor Debbie who had hair to her waist and made candles. I think of Hippies and Vietnam protest music.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Because people get set into their music choices when young. Prince is more Gen-X and very late boomer. Purple Rain came out in 1984. Boomers start at 1946-64.
Speak for yourself. I'd rather listen to Prince 24/7 than any "classic rock" station. One of my favorite eras for music was mid-90s (and not grunge, but Radiohead, Paul Weller, and a whole lot of Brit stuff with some Americana). Give me the Repacements over Lynyrd Skynyrd and AC/DC every day of the week.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. I'd rather listen to Prince 24/7 than any "classic rock" station.
They play Prince on the classic rock stations.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And the other 99% is geezer crap I tired of by 1978. What's your point?
We are all different and have unique tastes. My daughter is 20, her age group loves The Cure and a bunch of 80s music, also 2000s era rock like Arctic Monkeys, but also newer stuff and Taylor Swift. My point is that your genre choice still seems to be mostly rock oriented. Usher doesn't sound like Radiohead.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We are all different and have unique tastes. My daughter is 20, her age group loves The Cure and a bunch of 80s music, also 2000s era rock like Arctic Monkeys, but also newer stuff and Taylor Swift. My point is that your genre choice still seems to be mostly rock oriented. Usher doesn't sound like Radiohead.
Usher is more R&B than hip hop. R&B is one of many genres I enjoy.

Had you stated, "we are all different and have unique tastes" before proclaiming boomers' musical tastes were set in stone in the 60s and early 70s, we wouldn't have an issue.

Reaction Score
Yes, and except for two years of Boomers, they were out of college by 1984. I'm Gen X and I graduated HS in 84. Purple Rain was a very big thing. The 80's and early 90's are the Gen-X decade culturally. The Breakfast Club is the most Gen-X movie of all time. So sure, very late boomers probably like Prince. Early boomers graduated HS in 1968. For me, I go about 20 years prior and 5 years beyond.

Edit: I think the perception of "Boomer" varies. For younger people they are probably seen as older, boring people that aren't cool. When I think Boomer, I think of my babysitters when I was a kid. My neighbor Debbie who had hair to her waist and made candles. I think of Hippies and Vietnam protest music.
I think of baby boomers as they are defined: those born after WWII up to ‘64. I don’t have any set perception for any boomer. Some fit the stereotype you’re describing, and some don’t.

I was born in 1990 so right in the middle of the millennial generation. Again, most of my pop likes are songs that came out when I was in college or in the few years after I graduated, clubbing in Boston.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Usher is more R&B than hip hop. R&B is one of many genres I enjoy.

Had you stated, "we are all different and have unique tastes" before proclaiming boomers' musical tastes were set in stone in the 60s and early 70s, we wouldn't have an issue.
I didn't say that about Boomers. I said most people gravitate towards that music from middle-school through college years. Same thing @Rocktheworld was saying. But it's a generalization and I think more about genre than particular songs or bands. My pre-Baby Boomer parents like more current pop than I do.

As for R&B, I like R&B, but by that I mean artists like James Brown, Ray Charles, Smokey Robinson, etc. If Usher is in that category I'll give it a try.

Reaction Score
I agree with "we are all different and have unique tastes."

I grew up with the 50's doo wop, then 60's stuff like the Beachboys. I listened then and listen now to that genre.

But, as the years went by, and because of trips to the Caribbean, and studying some Spanish in college, and going to a local coffee house with artists playing folk, contemporary rock, and bluegrass music, collectively I got to like different music such as soca, techno merengue, bluegrass, all types of Indie, boogie woogie, and even high-powered Balkan Gypsy folk rock.

Though, if there is a common denominator , most of the stuff I like is rock-based and fast-paced. I do like George Thorogood's rocking blues guitar. On Sirius, I listen to the 80's channel.

Trying to respect the music played at the intermissions of Super Bowl shows. I guess it is contemporary and popular so it makes sense to showcase it. To each their own.

I like what I like.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing Tay-Tay paid off Greenlaw to fake an injury so that her bf could get some yards in the 2nd half.

Between that freak injury, the tipped extra point and the punt hitting the guy's foot, sucks to be a niners fan. Brutal.

As a non-football fan, funny game to watch. Would've been even better if kelce tackled Andy Reid.

That sequin suit though, lol.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Color me amazed you've even heard of Jello. That said, I can't fathom you ever listening to Dead Kennedys.
Were it not for my 45s being among the few remaining things still in CT, I'd post a picture of "California Uber Alles," including the lyric sheet. Alas, it is not the original issue with a later-omiited co-credit for the inner sleeve artwork.

"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" was sold probably a dozen years ago to a Feldenkrais practitioner/musician I met at the Westport Library book sale, where he was buying vinyl to set up a records section in his partner's bookstore in South Philadelphia, which he described as having a burgeoning hipster Williamsburg vibe.
You've seriously never heard of Dwight Freeney, Devin Hester, Andre Johnson, Julius Peppers, or Patrick Willis ???
IKR?
I recognized that moment of the broadcast as my perfect moment to claim, "I have watched so little football for so many years that ai has no idea who any of the HoF Inductees were."

At roughly the same I started going to UConn basketball games with my dad, began collecting baseball cards, and spent Sunday afternoons watching Giant games while bathed in my father's second-hand cigar smoke.

I can remember the names of the classic 60s Giants players who seemed to always come up short against the Packers.

I collected AFL football cards to show some independence - Elbert Dubenian, Frank Tripuka, Gino Capilletti, Charlie Hennigan anybody? Did I misspell all of them? I rooted for Len Dawson and the Chiefs when they got beaten in Super Bowl I; took pleasure when Joe Namath beat the Colts 2 years later; and kept my eyes always on the Giants, even as I found better things to do with Sunday afternoons.

I semi-cherish my set of Super Bowl XXI high ball glasses, and loved seeing Phil Simms anchoring the left-hand side of the TV screen with the row of analysts, half of whom I recognized. I think it was Boomer on the right;I think of him as a 'younger' guy. I'm equally happy about Phil's second ring and Eli's pair too. But mostly, I'm just bragging ng about how ignorant I am. I know other stuff, and I'm okay with that. Did I already say that yesterday was the only start-to-finish game I watched all season? Ravens-Chiefs was on in the background at my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party. I saw Detroit build a strong lead, and later read that the 49ers were in the Super Bowl.

I've hosted Stupor Bore parties for friends who cared little about the games but brought good food and a critical eye to the commercials. I been to some great Conference Championship parties at my sister's house, and a few really nice gatherings with my good buddy and his Weston Volunteer Firefighter colleagues in their then new building.

That’s not true at all. All the pop stuff I am familiar with and like is what I heard in high school and college. My DJ for my wedding, credit to him, asked my fiancé and I when we graduated from high school to help with music selection; he said he goes 5 years prior and beyond said year. So basically what came out when someone was 13 to 23.
With no intention to make you wrong, I respectfully offer my thought that you've more confirmed than contradicted what @HuskyHawk wrote. You just expressed yourselves similarly with non-meaningful differences.

My 5± takes me from 66-76, which overlaps with my peak years for being able to spend largest-ever amounts of leisure time listening to music with my friends. That's the foundation of the DJ's thesis, a phenomenon noted elsewhere with some variations.

I could argue that I got a few bonus years at either end because I was 10 years old, and newly awakened after JFK's assassination when AM Top 40 singles radio got hit by the sea change wave of The Beatles and the British Invasion 60 years ago, and then after college I worked first in a music store and then for a (mostly jazz) record company when punk rock and other attempts to overthrow the bloat of corporatized entertainment product signaled the onset of a permanent subculture of independently-created, alternatively-marketed music in every genre that continues to this day, even if it has never held any economic dominance.

Plus, I've stayed interested in and open to lots of kinds of music, from many points in history, across my lifespan.

This weekend's total highlight was hearing a live performance of Mendelssohn's 4th Symphony ("The Italian") for the first ever, after loving it since the mid-70s. It was thrillingly performed by the Louisville Orchestra, as a free community-outreach concert in a brightly-lit gym on the largest KY St Vincent DePaul campus where free meals and veterans' housing and a food pantry and counseling and other social services are dispensed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Were it not for my 45s being among the few remaining things still in CT, I'd post a picture of "California Uber Alles," including the lyric sheet. Alas, it is not the original issue with a later-omiited co-credit for the inner sleeve artwork.

"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" was sold probably a dozen years ago to a Feldenkrais practitioner/musician I met at the Westport Library book sale
Consider my mind melted.

Funny thing about the DK's - I'd heard of them while they were still active but never really listened. Then I was fully indoctrinated to their catalog by an accountant, of all people.

Reaction Score
I thought the first half blew, Usher was great, and Shanahan was Shanahan by not giving CMC 30 carries in the second half. Everyone on earth knew KC was winning this game when regulation ended. Mahomes is really incredible when the money's on the line.

I gotta be honest, it was pretty cool that my 13 year old watched the whole game. When KC scored in the third quarter and she stood up and started clapping she said she was being like me during UConn games.

Reaction Score
Topped ranked US telecast of all time. I guess part of the reason is that they changed the way they are counting viewers. The amazing thing is of the top 30 ranked US telecasts of all time, only one is not a Super Bowl, the final episode of MASH.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tony Gonzalez is better.
Right now, yes, I'd say better career than Gronk or Kelce. Yet recency bias ignores him. Honestly Gates is comparable as well.

Reaction Score
Right now, yes, I'd say better career than Gronk or Kelce. Yet recency bias ignores him. Honestly Gates is comparable as well.
Played with crap qbs his whole career until he played with Matt Ryan, played till 37 without slowing down much at all. He would have 1,500 yards a season with Mahomes.

Reaction Score
Shannon Sharpe too. People wanna automatically put Gronk and Kelce as top 2. I still think Sharpe and Gonzalez are the top 2. Only position that’s judged by rings are qbs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Played with crap qbs his whole career until he played with Matt Ryan, played till 37 without slowing down much at all. He would have 1,500 yards a season with Mahomes.
Even with Mahomes, at 47, I don't think he'd do better than 200 yrds.

Reaction Score
Shannon Sharpe too. People wanna automatically put Gronk and Kelce as top 2. I still think Sharpe and Gonzalez are the top 2. Only position that’s judged by rings are qbs.
A healthy Gronk tops 'em all.

Reaction Score
Game was awful mostly until the last 18!minutes of game time. Multiple squares 2 of which paid very well for score changes and I had 0-6 Chiefs and 7-0 Niners so when the game started with a FG I was too pissed to like the game anyway lol.

Halftime show was dreadful at best. I knew Usher could dance a little but stop trying to sing he’s awful.

Happier seeing Blake Lively than Taylor Swift as well.

Other than that it wasn’t great! Give me March Madness any day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom