Sunbelt Conference & C-USA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunbelt Conference & C-USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was going to post something similar, but I thought it was too obvious. The women's program is the premier program in the country bar none. The men's program at the moment has two players in the current class one a four star one a five star. The jury is out on how long the men's program can keep recruiting at the current level. The women's program will only slow down once Geno leaves. The only course of action is to continue to try and ride it out while collecting exit fees.

My reason was more because I don't care.

Reaction Score
Honest question why would Conference USA agree to something like this?

UCONN- "Hey Conference USA we would like to join. Interested?"

CUSA- "Uh yeah, sign right here!"

UCONN- "Oh by the way we won't be bringing either one of our championship basketball teams to your league."

CUSA- "DA FAQ?"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know this is frustrating for all of us, but the reality is that the basketball programs would get, maybe, a 10% boost from the Big East over the American. So we are rolling the dice. We are all in, because playing D1 football in the best football conference we can is the only path to a P5 invite. Period. Joining the Big East and going CUSA or Sunbelt is the end of any chance of ever getting a P5 invite. Basketball may take what we hope is a short term hit, in exchange for a huge long term gain. UConn basketball, in any P5 conference, would bounce back very quickly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I know this is frustrating for all of us, but the reality is that the basketball programs would get, maybe, a 10% boost from the Big East over the American. So we are rolling the dice. We are all in, because playing D1 football in the best football conference we can is the only path to a P5 invite. Period. Joining the Big East and going CUSA or Sunbelt is the end of any chance of ever getting a P5 invite. Basketball may take what we hope is a short term hit, in exchange for a huge long term gain. UConn basketball, in any P5 conference, would bounce back very quickly.

This is spot on, in my opinion. Yes, our hoops programs are both "struggling" (I put this is quotes because they both just did win national championships, again, last year!) for the sake of going all-in for a P5 invite. It's something that I think is planned by the AD knowing that a P5 invite is truly the only way that UCONN can maintain its elite status in hoops. The money divide is so huge between P5 schools and G5 (including mid-major conferences like the Big East) that the top coaches will only coach in a P5 conference because they'll be able to pay 2x, 3x, 4x or more than any G5/mid-major can pay. Also, the top recruits will only go play at P5 schools because they're able to offer (or will be able to offer soon) them a full cost of attendance package, insurance, and other benefits that the G5/mid-majors simply can't.

In my opinion, the school and state wouldn't have just invested $2B into expanding research if it didn't feel, at the very least, kind of good about its chances for a P5 invite. You just don't invest that kind of money into lost causes and being content with staying at a mid-major Big East level forever. Yes, the research expansion helps the university in other ways not related to CR. But the fact is that it does help our CR profile. Tremendously.

All of this nonsense talk about dropping football or moving it to the C-USA or Sun Belt wouldn't even be mentioned if UCONN had gone to a bowl game(s) in the past few years. If UCONN won 9 games last season and beat BYU in the Miami Bowl, we'd all be talking about how much of a complete package we are for a B1G or ACC invite...not the opposite. But that is my point: look at Memphis. They were God awful in 2013. So awful that our second worst team in program history beat them behind the shed in the last game of '13 by some 30 points or so. In 2014, they won 9 games and beat BYU in an exciting bowl game (except for the hideous brawl afterward). The AAC affords programs the same opportunity. It isn't the SEC. UCONN can turn it around in this conference and, when it does, we will all talk about how much of a complete package UCONN is in CR. We surely won't be talking about dropping football or moving it a level that is below the AAC. And yes, like it or not, the AAC is the best G5 conference to be in to improve our P5 profile.

We're all in this together, taking short-term lumps for long-term gain.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The P-5 conferences remind me of the movie "A Wonderful Life" when Jimmy Stewart stated the Potter isn't selling he's buying.
The P-5 gains it power by amateurs running athletic programs. There was never any reason for the Big East to dissolve other than nervous college administrators making poor decisions. The same holds true today. The AAC's worst enemy is itself. It's star member, UConn, has pushed the panic button before the first jump ball or kick off. Despite winning two national championships.
The Big 12 is a one trick pony, Texas. Big Ten has Ohio St. Penn St. and a bunch of slum properties in Michigan. ACC has three colleges jammed into a state that can hardly support its NBA team or pro football team. Everyone of these leagues have very weak sisters.
What they do have is panic on our side.
Orlando, Houston, Tampa, CT, Tulsa, Memphis, Philly etc. are populated wealthy spaces so why is it that we should have to crawl to some two bit Iowa town or West Virginia hovel for validation. We need to take care of our business and win. Then it will be the P-6.

Reaction Score
The P-5 conferences remind me of the movie "A Wonderful Life" when Jimmy Stewart stated the Potter isn't selling he's buying.
The P-5 gains it power by amateurs running athletic programs. There was never any reason for the Big East to dissolve other than nervous college administrators making poor decisions. The same holds true today. The AAC's worst enemy is itself. It's star member, UConn, has pushed the panic button before the first jump ball or kick off. Despite winning two national championships.
The Big 12 is a one trick pony, Texas. Big Ten has Ohio St. Penn St. and a bunch of slum properties in Michigan. ACC has three colleges jammed into a state that can hardly support its NBA team or pro football team. Everyone of these leagues have very weak sisters.
Orlando, Houston, Tampa, CT, Tulsa, Memphis, Philly etc. are populated wealthy spaces so why is it that we should have to crawl to some two bit Iowa town or West Virginia hovel for validation. We need to take care of our business and win. Then it will be the P-6.

I know it is still early in the year but non the less, I would like to nominate this as the Pollyanna Post of 2015.

Reaction Score
Basically the basketball fans see the hoops program falling apart over the coming years in the AAC. It is inevitable, UConn, even with Ollie and a NC, cannot recruit with the P5 teams. Ollie will eventually leave, as well. So, the best case in their opinion is to latch onto the Big East, where the regular season games are still relevant and fun and the opponents are somewhat local and rivals.

Meanwhile, there is little hope that football will ever be good or interesting and at this point just holds back having any interest in athletics in the state school. Keep the program in the 1% chance that a P5 conference decides to invite the school, but reality is if it dies, it dies. Just don't let it kill the equity built up in the hoops programs.

Reaction Score
Your observation that the AAC is actually in better market position than other so called P5 conferences is true. But Conferences reflect historically dynamics as well as market and changing the status quo is never easy.
The media has determined that those markets can adequately be reached by existing P5 teams. Why increase their costs. They feel they are over paying now ,which would lends credence to the P4 model not P6.
FSU &U of F, are actually the dominate teams in Central and Northern FLA.
UT,Baylor ,TCU ,and UT do likewise for Texas.
PSU in PA , OSU in Ohio.
Many areas are written off do to small population.
Connecticut is the most populated state lacking a p5 team..
It's actually larger than ,Oklahoma ,Iowa ,Kansas an Mississippi ,each with two P5 teams .
Also Nebraska,West VA, Utah and Arkansas.
One could also claim as a secular public UConn is better capabable of representing New England than a religious private.
For schools not currently in the model administrators have reason for concern as their ability to compete lessens.
You are much more likely to see many more schools dropping football than going to P6 status

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is spot on, in my opinion. Yes, our hoops programs are both "struggling" (I put this is quotes because they both just did win national championships, again, last year!) for the sake of going all-in for a P5 invite. It's something that I think is planned by the AD knowing that a P5 invite is truly the only way that UCONN can maintain its elite status in hoops. The money divide is so huge between P5 schools and G5 (including mid-major conferences like the Big East) that the top coaches will only coach in a P5 conference because they'll be able to pay 2x, 3x, 4x or more than any G5/mid-major can pay. Also, the top recruits will only go play at P5 schools because they're able to offer (or will be able to offer soon) them a full cost of attendance package, insurance, and other benefits that the G5/mid-majors simply can't.

In my opinion, the school and state wouldn't have just invested $2B into expanding research if it didn't feel, at the very least, kind of good about its chances for a P5 invite. You just don't invest that kind of money into lost causes and being content with staying at a mid-major Big East level forever. Yes, the research expansion helps the university in other ways not related to CR. But the fact is that it does help our CR profile. Tremendously.

All of this nonsense talk about dropping football or moving it to the C-USA or Sun Belt wouldn't even be mentioned if UCONN had gone to a bowl game(s) in the past few years. If UCONN won 9 games last season and beat BYU in the Miami Bowl, we'd all be talking about how much of a complete package we are for a B1G or ACC invite...not the opposite. But that is my point: look at Memphis. They were God awful in 2013. So awful that our second worst team in program history beat them behind the shed in the last game of '13 by some 30 points or so. In 2014, they won 9 games and beat BYU in an exciting bowl game (except for the hideous brawl afterward). The AAC affords programs the same opportunity. It isn't the SEC. UCONN can turn it around in this conference and, when it does, we will all talk about how much of a complete package UCONN is in CR. We surely won't be talking about dropping football or moving it a level that is below the AAC. And yes, like it or not, the AAC is the best G5 conference to be in to improve our P5 profile.

We're all in this together, taking short-term lumps for long-term gain.

This is why I am hoping that Bobby D. is more than just a talker. We don't have time to rebuild again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Basically the basketball fans see the hoops program falling apart over the coming years in the AAC. It is inevitable, UConn, even with Ollie and a NC, cannot recruit with the P5 teams. Ollie will eventually leave, as well. So, the best case in their opinion is to latch onto the Big East, where the regular season games are still relevant and fun and the opponents are somewhat local and rivals.

Meanwhile, there is little hope that football will ever be good or interesting and at this point just holds back having any interest in athletics in the state school. Keep the program in the 1% chance that a P5 conference decides to invite the school, but reality is if it dies, it dies. Just don't let it kill the equity built up in the hoops programs.

I think this is wrong on several levels. I think Ollie can still recruit and win in the American. It will be harder. But UConn would have a recruiting advantage over every other non P5 team and most of the P5 teams. Geno will out recruit everyone everywhere as long as he is here.

Meanwhile football can be relevant and competitive very quickly. Probably within the next two seasons. The odds of a P5 invite are probably more like 80% in my opinion, not 1%. But the value of playing a Big East schedule in basketball? That is, as I said, worth maybe 10%. It's not that much better. Temple is back, Memphis is solid, Cinci is solid and Houston has some history to build on. It isn't good, but it isn't much worse than the current Big East.

If the ACC said, come bring all sports except football, and football can come when Notre Dame does....I think you take that deal. For that I'd move football to CUSA if necessary, but the American might let us stay anyway. But for the Big East? You mortgage any chance at a really good future for a very minor upgrade.

Reaction Score
I think this is wrong on several levels. I think Ollie can still recruit and win in the American. It will be harder. But UConn would have a recruiting advantage over every other non P5 team and most of the P5 teams. Geno will out recruit everyone everywhere as long as he is here.

Meanwhile football can be relevant and competitive very quickly. Probably within the next two seasons. The odds of a P5 invite are probably more like 80% in my opinion, not 1%. But the value of playing a Big East schedule in basketball? That is, as I said, worth maybe 10%. It's not that much better. Temple is back, Memphis is solid, Cinci is solid and Houston has some history to build on. It isn't good, but it isn't much worse than the current Big East.

If the ACC said, come bring all sports except football, and football can come when Notre Dame does....I think you take that deal. For that I'd move football to CUSA if necessary, but the American might let us stay anyway. But for the Big East? You mortgage any chance at a really good future for a very minor upgrade.

the ACC - only if they came with an "all in" offer and we had no other reasonable alternatives do you even contemplate saying yes. I know sometimes you have to swallow your pride, but they just ain't that special. The mere fact that they accepted a half- member in ND is proof enough of that.

Reaction Score
the ACC - only if they came with an "all in" offer and we had no other reasonable alternatives do you even contemplate saying yes. I know sometimes you have to swallow your pride, but they just ain't that special. The mere fact that they accepted a half- member in ND is proof enough of that.
Right on brother. UCONN is much more valuable than many other P5 programs. The only constant is change and the landscape will continue to change. Be true.

Reaction Score

I understand that you are trying to put a positive spin on circumstances that as a fan are beyond your control, but you can not honestly believe what you wrote. The AAC's worst enemy is not itself, on the contrary it has experienced success in spite of itself. How can you run down the programs and perception of the Big 12, B1G and ACC, but then proceed to make the argument that The AAC's Markets make it an equal competitor regardless of the programs that comprise it?

The Big 12 is a one trick pony? Seriously? Oklahoma and Kansas do nothing for it? Baylor, TCU, KSU, OSU and WVU have all played in BCS Bowls in the last 3-4 years. Not exactly the barren athletic wasteland you portend.

The B1G is OSU, PSU and then a bunch of slum properties in Michigan? Wut? So much is wrong with that statement I can't even address it further without my brain hurting.

While I agree that The ACC is hamstrung by having 4 schools in one medium sized state, we all know that no one is being kicked out of or voluntarily leaving a P5 Conference in the immediate future. What was the point of bringing the Hornets and Panthers into the discussion? North Carolina was a college basketball hotbed long before the NBA or NFL ever considered coming to town. Much of the state's rooting interest revolves around UNC v. Duke, UNC v. NCSU or gasp NASCAR. That won't change anytime soon. Factor in a large number of Northeastern and Midwestern Transplants, with their allegiances to "hometown" pro franchises, and you have a recipe for lukewarm local pro support.

Orlando, Houston, Tampa, etc, etc. might be populous and wealthy markets, but it doesn't benefit The AAC if there is minimal support for the programs located within. People love to joke about "little brother" schools within the various P5 Conferences, but if you remove UCONN from the discussion, the majority of remaining AAC Programs would be more akin to "sickly cousin" programs. They lag hopelessly behind in resources, facilities, alumni/fan support, recruiting and athletic history. Can programs occasionally break through and achieve big things? Obviously yes. Can it be sustained with any consistency? Nothing to date has shown me that it can.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
ACC has three colleges jammed into a state that can hardly support its NBA team or pro football team. Everyone of these leagues have very weak sisters.

Not sure where you are getting your information from. To say that the Carolina Panthers have no fan support is absurd. Carolina Panthers have averaged over 99% capacity since their stadium opened. I think the low was 98% in 2011.
Cannot speak to the Bobcats/Hornets, they have been dreadful. The old Hornets led the league in attendance many years in the 90's. Not a fan of either team, but I live in the area.

pj

Reaction Score
I understand that you are trying to put a positive spin on circumstances that as a fan are beyond your control, but you can not honestly believe what you wrote. The AAC's worst enemy is not itself, on the contrary it has experienced success in spite of itself. How can you run down the programs and perception of the Big 12, B1G and ACC, but then proceed to make the argument that The AAC's Markets make it an equal competitor regardless of the programs that comprise it?

The Big 12 is a one trick pony? Seriously? Oklahoma and Kansas do nothing for it? Baylor, TCU, KSU, OSU and WVU have all played in BCS Bowls in the last 3-4 years. Not exactly the barren athletic wasteland you portend.

The B1G is OSU, PSU and then a bunch of slum properties in Michigan? Wut? So much is wrong with that statement I can't even address it further without my brain hurting.

While I agree that The ACC is hamstrung by having 4 schools in one medium sized state, we all know that no one is being kicked out of or voluntarily leaving a P5 Conference in the immediate future. What was the point of bringing the Hornets and Panthers into the discussion? North Carolina was a college basketball hotbed long before the NBA or NFL ever considered coming to town. Much of the state's rooting interest revolves around UNC v. Duke, UNC v. NCSU or gasp NASCAR. That won't change anytime soon. Factor in a large number of Northeastern and Midwestern Transplants, with their allegiances to "hometown" pro franchises, and you have a recipe for lukewarm local pro support.

Orlando, Houston, Tampa, etc, etc. might be populous and wealthy markets, but it doesn't benefit The AAC if there is minimal support for the programs located within. People love to joke about "little brother" schools within the various P5 Conferences, but if you remove UCONN from the discussion, the majority of remaining AAC Programs would be more akin to "sickly cousin" programs. They lag hopelessly behind in resources, facilities, alumni/fan support, recruiting and athletic history. Can programs occasionally break through and achieve big things? Obviously yes. Can it be sustained with any consistency? Nothing to date has shown me that it can.

You're talking sense to a crazy man. Admirable ... or a waste of time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, it won't.

The "P6" fantasy is just that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am shocked this post has been up for 10 hours without getting shredded by the "football is the only sport that matters" fans.

I agree with you that staying in the AAC is a terrible decision.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I saw an interesting thing on television Lions vs Cowboys. During the broadcast CBS was constantly promoting the Big East conference games. AAC signed with ESPN to be ugly step sister for the P-5. AAC needs to sign with Fox sports or CBS Sports. This P-5 is promoted by ESPN and television money. There are a lot of fans who are not in P-5 fans. There has to be a network that has the programming to destroy this ESPN monster. ACC has to find that network and offer a good product. ESPN is owned by Disney and ABC news.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fox is really doing wonders for the Big East in terms of exposure.

They routinely draw ratings of zero.

Please stop posting.

Please.

You're not good at it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fox is really doing wonders for the Big East in terms of exposure.

They routinely draw ratings of zero.

Please stop posting.

Please.

You're not good at it.

Can we stop making the argument that less money is better than more money? It hurts my head.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can we stop making the argument that less money is better than more money? It hurts my head.

I realize that you are really dense and basically a one-trick pony.

Everyone would love more money.

But money doesn't equal exposure and the lack of exposure Fox offers would kill us dead.

So shut the ever-loving f--- up.

Reaction Score
UCF and Houston played a thrilling OT game, hoops, and the arena is barely filled in the 4th largest city in the US. Sure it may be winter break, but that was so sad to see. A once proud and even mighty program Houston was - I loved the Drexler & Akeem years.

As for UConn, so damn unfortunate to see one of the most successful programs in the 64 plus team era left in this conference. I'm finally watching college sports with a passion now that basketball and hockey season are in play, how nice UConn would be in the BIG.

CB is just not important enough on the expansion radar & it makes me sad.

They can save this sport if the dump the one and done rule and make the kids stay at least 2 years, I'd prefer 3 with a special draft for hs players and those declaring after their sophomore year. That is each year the top hs kid can declare for the draft, while the top 5 sophomores may leave as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Houston is our cautionary tale.

They got into Conference USA the same way we got into the American.

The Southwest Conference evaporated and they ended up in a newly formed conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom