Stewart's place among the greats | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewart's place among the greats

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I keep reading this in several places. Not that I don't believe you (because I do) but do you have a link/source to the quote?

I agree with Diana by the way--especially with Loyd declaring it will be even tougher for any team to knock off UConn with seniors Stewart and Jefferson.

DT said this in a SNY broadcast - don't know if it was a Geno show or one of the weekly Huskies shows, but she said it... and convinced me!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT had no where near the talent around here in 2003 and 2004. However I do not like drawing comparisons like this one and won't. The UConn Huskies have 7 of the 10 greatest WCBB players ever and that is all I need to know. The other 3 - 3 different teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Stewie is already on Mt. Rushmore with Diana and Maya. But who is the 4th? Rebecca? Tina? Sue? Moriah?

Reaction Score
upload_2015-4-9_20-37-13.png

Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I think Stewie is already on Mt. Rushmore with Diana and Maya. But who is the 4th? Rebecca? Tina? Sue? Moriah?

I think Lobo is on if for bringing us to the pinnacle the first time. Picked us over Stanford, and made UConn a destination spot for everyone else with that undefeated season. The Bascom team made the FF, so perhaps you could take some points away from Lobo for that - but we really developed a national profile in 1995, and then we started getting the Shea Ralphs out of North Carolina, etc.

But reasonable minds can disagree.

Reaction Score
C'mon, no Uconn, or non-Uconn player for that matter, has ever been able to do all the things that Breanna can do , at both ends of the floor. DT barely new that there was another end of the floor, and Maya was flashy, but really was not a particularly good defender. You just can't go around ignoring defensive ability when talking about the greatest players.

I disagree. For example in her sr year she guarded Alana Beard a lot in that game. We did lose -- but it was on a last second shot. But secondly, more importantly - I consider defensive rebounding part of defense. And imo there was never ever ever a greater UCONN guard that had her rebounding capability because she was so physical and tough.

Two things I'll always remember about DT pertaining to power-

1-- I was in Hartford - we were playing RU and they were pressing as usual. DT was the ball around 3/4 court and a player tried to ride her to the baseline a couple of times and she bounced off DT like a defensive back bounced off a breakaway Earl Campbell. She's so powerful.

2-- IN WNBA her 1st title "finesse" Phoenix was playing Lambeer's rugged Detroit Shock. Phoenix put DT in the middle of 3-2 zone (could you imagine sticking a guard in the middle of 3-2?). DT was in her element because they allowed her to be just as dirty and aggressive as Lambeer pushed his team to be. So much so that Lambeer whined during the playoffs that Dt was getting away with a lot of dirty play. What DT was doing was competing for rebounds, getting elbowed - throwing elbows - competing for space - trying to keep Detroit off the boards. That's "defense." Not all defense is man-to-man. IMO her physicality of going after rebounds is why Phoenix won and her board work was an underrated big part why UCONN was so darn successful in 02-03 and 03-04 because DT could help out a lot with the rebounding. Those teams were not strong rebounding teams. DT offset that team weakness because of her ability to grab tough rebounds in traffic. You lose games because you get whipped on the boards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good point. Stewie gets her hands on a lot of balls, both passes and shots. And she influences a lot of shots that she doesn't block outright.

Yes she does.

Not in terms of "what they did for program" - such as Lobo. But in terms of actual supreme level of play DT, Maya and Big Game Breanna are the top 3. Don't know where to rank Stewie yet vs these other two unreal players. She has a 4th year. But she is unreal too.

Reaction Score
Poppycock. She carried her team to the title as a freshman. Diana and Maya didn't do that. Since then she has only lost once. In OT, 3,000 miles away on a young team that lost 2 All-Americans from the year before. She was a rock on Tuesday. Maybe you want DT taking the last shot, but is she grabbing all those boards and blocking all those shots. Stewie is every bit on the same level as those two now, today? I'd put her ahead of Moore. If she wins four, she will be the undisputed GOAT.

smh....you memory of her freshmen year is much different than mine, but I don't huff glue so that might be a factor.

Reaction Score
Picking the "greatest" between Diana, Maya and Stewie is like being asked to pick my favorite child. I love them all, respect them all, and believe each to be unique, exceptional and extraordinary. But with so many variables and criteria to consider and prioritize, can you truly objectify and quantify "greatness?" I find it absolutely impossible to choose who is "greatest" between Bill Russell and Michael Jordan, both in terms of individual and team accomplishments.

But I'll try. The greatest-UConnHusky-of-all-time is...... Taur-Moor-Stew

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree. For example in her sr year she guarded Alana Beard a lot in that game. We did lose -- but it was on a last second shot. But secondly, more importantly - I consider defensive rebounding part of defense. And imo there was never ever ever a greater UCONN guard that had her rebounding capability because she was so physical and tough.

Two things I'll always remember about DT pertaining to power-

1-- I was in Hartford - we were playing RU and they were pressing as usual. DT was the ball around 3/4 court and a player tried to ride her to the baseline a couple of times and she bounced off DT like a defensive back bounced off a breakaway Earl Campbell. She's so powerful.

2-- IN WNBA her 1st title "finesse" Phoenix was playing Lambeer's rugged Detroit Shock. Phoenix put DT in the middle of 3-2 zone (could you imagine sticking a guard in the middle of 3-2?). DT was in her element because they allowed her to be just as dirty and aggressive as Lambeer pushed his team to be. So much so that Lambeer whined during the playoffs that Dt was getting away with a lot of dirty play. What DT was doing was competing for rebounds, getting elbowed - throwing elbows - competing for space - trying to keep Detroit off the boards. That's "defense." Not all defense is man-to-man. IMO her physicality of going after rebounds is why Phoenix won and her board work was an underrated big part why UCONN was so darn successful in 02-03 and 03-04 because DT could help out a lot with the rebounding. Those teams were not strong rebounding teams. DT offset that team weakness because of her ability to grab tough rebounds in traffic. You lose games because you get whipped on the boards.
DT on defense always reminded me of Larry Bird. Bird didn't look like the most gifted defender but he made up for a lack of quick feet with his basketball IQ. He was rarely caught out of position and if his man ever got sloppy with the ball Bird would take it away. DT was the same way. Maybe not a great defensive player, but very solid, definitely not a liability.

Reaction Score
TBS average stats in the final four (six games):

20.7 pts
9.3 rebounds
2.2 assists
1.5 TOs
3.2 blocks
1.3 steals
36.8 minutes
FG% 57.1%
3Pt% 50.0%
FT% 76.5%

Those numbers alone have to put her in the conversation for GOAT.

Oh, almost forgot ...
3 wins, 0 losses

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
smh....you memory of her freshmen year is much different than mine, but I don't huff glue so that might be a factor.
Whose freshman year? DT's or Stewie? I'll give you that Taurasi was better in the regular season, but Brianna led a team to the title. I know which carries more weight in my book. And she did it without nearly the weapons on her side that DT had her freshman year. She didn't have the luxury of playing two years without lead dog responsibility, she was the (wo)man from Day 1. That's big, IMO. I'm going back to your original post, you take points away from Stewart because she didn't carry the team like the other two. I'm saying she did, as a freshman (and a soph and a junior as a matter of fact). Stewie was the MOP of the Final Four as a freshman, DT went 1-15. You don't get to ignore that just because it doesn't fit your premise.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Stewie and KML in LA for Wooden Award, showing on ESPN2 at 5 pm ET. If she wins this award, it will make for additional interesting discussion as to GOAT status.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stewie and KML in LA for Wooden Award, showing on ESPN2 at 5 pm ET. If she wins this award, it will make for additional interesting discussion as to GOAT status.

Did the voting come pre-FF? If so, Loyd might well win it. Wouldn't that be a goof?

Reaction Score
Whose freshman year? DT's or Stewie? I'll give you that Taurasi was better in the regular season, but Brianna led a team to the title. I know which carries more weight in my book. And she did it without nearly the weapons on her side that DT had her freshman year. She didn't have the luxury of playing two years without lead dog responsibility, she was the (wo)man from Day 1. That's big, IMO. I'm going back to your original post, you take points away from Stewart because she didn't carry the team like the other two. I'm saying she did, as a freshman (and a soph and a junior as a matter of fact). Stewie was the MOP of the Final Four as a freshman, DT went 1-15. You don't get to ignore that just because it doesn't fit your premise.

So one a great freshman SEASON and one bad, albeit big, game means Stewie was better. ....

Reaction Score
With three National Championships and three Final Four Most Outstanding Player awards, Stewart has to be among the All Time Greats in women's college basketball.

Where does she rank compared to Taurasi and Moore? Could Stewie leave as the greatest woman Husky of all time?
Obviously this is my opinion, as a lonnnnng time BB fan, but National Championships allotted to one player does not alone make a great player. Stewie was bounced and mauled for 3 years so was DT and Maya. DT or Maya did not have the supporting cast Stewie was endowed with. Had they been blessed with the skills of Tuck and Mo Jefferson (my MOP) and a defensive stopper like Kiah Stokes and a 3 ball shooter like KML who can tell how many NC's they may have achieved. I don't think DT will be dethroned quite yet!!

Reaction Score
Poppycock. She carried her team to the title as a freshman. Diana and Maya didn't do that. Since then she has only lost once. In OT, 3,000 miles away on a young team that lost 2 All-Americans from the year before. She was a rock on Tuesday. Maybe you want DT taking the last shot, but is she grabbing all those boards and blocking all those shots. Stewie is every bit on the same level as those two now, today? I'd put her ahead of Moore. If she wins four, she will be the undisputed GOAT.
I don't remember all the other AAs on D's teams in 2003-2004.

Reaction Score
Mill - you say no penalties but then say because Maya and DT had to carry young teams they were better. Stewart instead 'had to carry' older teams - she did it with USA basketball internationally, and she did it her freshman and sophomore year at Uconn. DT famously had her worst game of her entire career in the semis her freshman year. Maya couldn't be the difference maker her freshman year. Stewart was the reason Uconn won her freshman year.
And I wouldn't say she was not intense in the less important games, just that she spends the time working on lots of things other than scoring in those games - helping teammates expand their games and expanding her game as well. And this is very much what the coaching staff is also working on November through February - when in control of a game, they call of the dogs and work on various aspects of half court offense and defense. In is very intense, but it is not design to score the most points or create the most defensive stops, it is design to expand the players confidence and capabilities for a possible situation in March that may never materialize.

They all played/play very different positions/styles and have very different personalities so it is hard to compare directly.
I Believe if Geno had sequestered DT away from the NC hype {every where she read --she was the greatest thing since sliced bread)--the hype would not wear on her--and it did. So she missed 15 3's but never ever again. Stewies Frosh year she had Hartley, Dolson, KML, etc is that a great supporting class or what?? Yes she hit 30 points but she didn't win that game alone. DT had Maria Conlon ("I never thought I'd miss Maria Conlon" Geno) and a inconsistent Ann Strothers, Wilnet, BT, surely not as strong a supporting cast. Stewie is great there is no doubt about that--but how great is the question. I don't ever remember DT being shut down or even half shut.

Reaction Score
I Believe if Geno had sequestered DT away from the NC hype {every where she read --she was the greatest thing since sliced bread)--the hype would not wear on her--and it did. So she missed 15 3's but never ever again. Stewies Frosh year she had Hartley, Dolson, KML, etc is that a great supporting class or what?? Yes she hit 30 points but she didn't win that game alone. DT had Maria Conlon ("I never thought I'd miss Maria Conlon" Geno) and a inconsistent Ann Strothers, Wilnet, BT, surely not as strong a supporting cast. Stewie is great there is no doubt about that--but how great is the question. I don't ever remember DT being shut down or even half shut.
OOOPs I misspoke---DT had Sue, Swin, Aysia, Tamika that Frosh year--the best supporting cast ever--I can only rack that up to dementia prematurely (my own diagnosis). But she was still hyped out as a brash kid.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One could speculate that what happened with DT in 2001 informed how Geno handled Stewie in 2013.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OOOPs I misspoke---DT had Sue, Swin, Aysia, Tamika that Frosh year--the best supporting cast ever--I can only rack that up to dementia prematurely (my own diagnosis). But she was still hyped out as a brash kid.
Yeah - I was reading the first post going ... um ... um, TASS, HELLO?!!!!!
No question she did not have the support in her third year that Stewart had in her third and will have in her fourth. But I would say Diana was surrounded by the best cast - and while she had a very good freshman year and a great sophomore year - she was not the best player on her team at that stage of her development.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I think saying TBS carried the team her freshman year does a disservice to Dolson, Hartley, KML, and perhaps most of all, Faris.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think saying TBS carried the team her freshman year does a disservice to Dolson, Hartley, KML, and perhaps most of all, Faris.
Yeah ... but three losses with Stewart struggling, and one win with Stewart taking over suggests that what she did in the NCAAs was pretty spectacular. Of course she was surrounded by really good players, but she was the MOP and I think deserved it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I refuse to choose. Each has attributes that are terrific. But the Wow and Swag factor is DTs. I remember Sue Bird being interviewed at the time of the WNBA draft about DT and she said that we were about to see stuff in the WNBA we had never seen before - the DT had moves which were unbelievable but Geno would have pulled her off the court had she done them. So in the WNBA and even more so internationally DT has shown unrivaled moves around the hoop. Maya is in an athleticism world all her own, and Stewie is such a total package. As Geno has said, Stewie could get a double every game and one of those doubles would be 30 points, but she does not have to and would prefer not to. Stewie's formula is working just fine and may it continue. The pressure on the 4 peat season will be enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom