Stewart's place among the greats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewart's place among the greats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I got Bre among the Husky greats. She is a very talented player that can play both ends of the floor.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think saying TBS carried the team her freshman year does a disservice to Dolson, Hartley, KML, and perhaps most of all, Faris.

In the '13 Final Four vs. Notre Dame, she had 29 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks. No one else had more than 16. That's leading the team. She was the leading scorer in the games from the Sweet 16 game through the Final. She was also among the team's best rebounders in those games, too. That's leading the team, no (and that's what the post put forward, that she led her team to the title)?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In the '13 Final Four vs. Notre Dame, she had 29 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks. No one else had more than 16. That's leading the team. She was the leading scorer in the games from the Sweet 16 game through the Final. She was also among the team's best rebounders in those games, too. That's leading the team, no (and that's what the post put forward, that she led her team to the title)?

I don't disagree with any of that.

My point has to do with the term "carried." I make a distinction between "led" and "carried." They connote different things to me. Maybe you and UCMiami see it differently. That's fine.

I feel it is incorrect to say that Stewart "carried" the 2013 team, over any span, whether it be the season, the NCAA tournament, or the SF game with ND. Moreover, doing so discounts the considerable contributions of the many other outstanding players on that team, including and especially Kelly Faris.

To say TBS led her team to victory over ND is fine with me.

Here is an excerpt from Waquoit's post that prompted my comment:

I'm going back to your original post, you take points away from Stewart because she didn't carry the team like the other two. I'm saying she did, as a freshman (and a soph and a junior as a matter of fact).

I don't agree that TBS carried the team in these latter two years, either. Note, too, that I am not even arguing for or against any of the three candidates. My concern lies with the notion of carrying a team.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
To say TBS led her team to victory over ND is fine with me.

I certainly understand what you're saying about the connotations of "carry" and the difference between lead and carry. That said, I don't think it's out of the question to say Stewie carried the team against ND in the semi-final game in '13.

Which is not to say other players didn't contribute. Of course they did. But when a player scores 35% of a team's points for a game, you don't think that constitutes carrying the team? If not 35%, then what percentage, just out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom